Is anyone else loving Rainbow Six Siege?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#1 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

There seems to be radio silence around here when it comes to the recently released Rainbow Six Siege.

I've been playing it quite a bit over the last two nights with a group of friends and honestly its the most fun I've had with a multiplayer shooter for quite a while. Everything feels carefully designed and surprisingly balanced, and there is a lot nuance in learning the different classes and how they compliment each other, almost in a TF2-like way.

It helps that the sound design is amazing and the gunplay is a lot of fun. There is a good deal of depth to this game.

Uninformed System Wars Peasant:But It has Microtransactions!

Yes, that is a bit shitty, but everything apart from a handful of weapon skins can be earned using the currency you earn in-game. Even though this sounds F2Pish, the rate at which you earn the in-game currency is very fast, you get a bunch just for watching tutorial videos and playing the 10 SP training scenarios which take a couple hours if you go for the criteria.

The unlock system is also very good: nothing is gated behind levels, you can get anything you want from the outset.

Uninformed System Wars Peasant:Its Too Expensive and Lacks Content!

I felt this way initially, but considering all of the new maps and operators will be released for free, and the game can be had for $40 on GreenManGaming, I feel its well worth it at that price.

Uninformed System Wars Peasant: But Ubisoft!

Yea, that is unfortunate, but they took the time to have a bunch of betas for this and made it right, I think that kind of development should be rewarded, even if Ubisoft was involved.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

I'm so inclined to get it, gonna wait for some price drop

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

What is taking GS and IGN so long on the review, I wonder?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I imagine a lot of people were waiting to see how it turns out and any significant bugs or performance issues because it's ubisoft. Also it's pretty much just an online MP game which some people aren't fans of.

Definitely is the type of game where people need to know what they're doing and communicate or it becomes really frustrating

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44558 Posts

Are you playing PC or consoles?

I hear PC performed much better than consoles in the beta. I realize the beta was a beta but damn if it didn't suck any interest I might have had in this title away. Glitchy as hell, broken matchmaking were enough for me to reconsider. I hear it's still a problem and have yet to hear otherwise.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

no sp, no buy :)

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I would have picked it up if not for my backlog. I very much enjoyed the last game from last Gen, great gameplay and more tactical than just rushing in stuff.

Problem is I have BO3 and have not even had a chance to play it yet. I'm sure I'll get this at some point later though. Thanks for sharing your impressions

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

I got it on g2a for $33. First fps game I have enjoyed in a long time. Maybe since crysis 1

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I hear PC performed much better than consoles in the beta. I realize the beta was a beta but damn if it didn't suck any interest I might have had in this title away. Glitchy as hell, broken matchmaking were enough for me to reconsider. I hear it's still a problem and have yet to hear otherwise.

Gonna jump in here and say that I play on the PS4 and the game has ran GREAT. The beta had issues but those issues don't seem to be present here.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44558 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL: good to know

how's the online play count been all around, is there a player stats tracker that counts players? that's my other worry with getting a game like this is that nobody will be playing it

Terrencec06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Terrencec06
Member since 2008 • 4024 Posts

I'm playing on ps4 with my old socom crew, we love it. After a few patches it will be perfect. It's my go to online MP now (finally something pulled me away from TLOU MP).

Edit: since a few are asking. It has a few issues, but not really game breaking.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 with_teeth26

@LostProphetFLCL said:
@lamprey263 said:

Gonna jump in here and say that I play on the PS4 and the game has ran GREAT. The beta had issues but those issues don't seem to be present here.

I'm playing on PC, and it runs great for me as well. I've experienced a handful of bugs but nothing serious, my audio cut out once and some funky stuff can happen in kill cams like only seeing the weapon of the guy who killed you without any hands attached.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 with_teeth26

@lamprey263 said:

@LostProphetFLCL: good to know

how's the online play count been all around, is there a player stats tracker that counts players? that's my other worry with getting a game like this is that nobody will be playing it

I dont think that Uplay has a way to track player counts. Its been outselling FO4/JC3 on steam, but the number of steam players isn't very high, peaking at around 10,000 daily. However, I'm guessing most people didn't get it on steam since its cheaper elsewhere. Its hard to gauge how the player going is doing, I agree, this is my primary concern as well. They aren't doing really dumb DLC stuff and the game has a good amount of depth, so I'm guessing it will form a decent core community since tactical FPS like this tend to attract a more dedicated player base who will put a lot of time into something.

only time will tell

comchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 comchild
Member since 2004 • 238 Posts

I rented from redbox and I like it a lot.

Very fun with friends. I've even played in lobbies and met some players who actually talk and want to strategize. And they were friendly.

Operators are useful too. Not just used for a couple quick kills, but serve an objectful purpose. I'll be picking this up next week at BB when they do the buy 2 get 1 free.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Looks like fun, but won't the community be dead in a few years? Therefore making the game dead and worthless?

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#16  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

i like it a lot. Its definitely a lot more polished than I thought it would be and the retail version has a lot more than the beta version.

You probably wont get much love for it around here most of the people on SW are singleplayer/pve centric and spend most of their time complaining about no campaign, whining about microtransactions and it being online.

I was actually surprised by the number of classes and the number of maps and modes it has and the fact that they have a plan in place to support with free content for a year.
If For Honor has the same amount of polish it will also be pretty good.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I didn't like the beta much, are the maps better than the beta maps? They all felt the same to me. Something about it doesn't click for me.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 with_teeth26

so it sounds like everyone who actually bought the game is really enjoying it.

I think the sites that are taking their time reviewing this are doing it the right way, it takes a while to absorb all of the intricacies of the mechanics

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 with_teeth26

@nutcrackr said:

I didn't like the beta much, are the maps better than the beta maps? They all felt the same to me. Something about it doesn't click for me.

some of the maps are a bit bigger/more open, most still involve going into structures but some structures have larger open areas in them.

It took me a while to get a feel it I can't really think of anything to compare it to since the pace is like older SWAT/R6 games but the destruction/movement makes it significantly different. I think the meat of it is in figuring out the different classes and how they compliment each other.

for example, on defense, you can have one guy put jammers next to the destructible walls so the attackers cant use breach charges which will funnel them to certain doors, where another operator can put trip mines.

the attackers could counter this by using the IQ operator who can scan for electronics/devices to locate the jammers, and the operator who has EMP grenades could throw them against the walls close to the jammers to disable them.

there are 14 operators right now I believe (7 for attackers and 7 for defenders) so you can get a team with most of them, and coordinate with your abilities to figure out what the other team is doing and deal with it. The shooting part is almost secondary to fiddling around with gadgets and coordinating with your team.

Playing with randoms is certainly a mixed bag but i've been on some good teams with randoms and I expect this will improve as people learn the game

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

my first fps since bf4, loving it

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

They love Halo, CoD, Battlefront ( graphics whores like it), Destiny. Anyone played Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online/Phantoms ? Siege teamwork, maps etc kinda reminds me that game. Vermintide, KF2, Verdun, Toxikk, Squad, R6 Siege ... my favorite FPS games of 2015 fail on consoles. PC gaming is where it's at.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I am fucking loving it. Already hit level 20 this morning. There are some problems but the game is so addicting and fun. They really need to fix the one headshot kill for all weapons though and get their network shit together.

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23 L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

@with_teeth26: Cool. Thanks for that. I might might ask my friends to buy it too if the coop is fun!

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts
@drummerdave9099 said:

Looks like fun, but won't the community be dead in a few years? Therefore making the game dead and worthless?

Rainbow Six has always had a very dedicated playerbase so I'm sure it wont die. Vegas 1 & 2 are still very popular on the 360 and you get kicked if you don't use a mic.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Looks fun and I would pick it up right away, but I'm already buried in games. I'll get it eventually though.

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

I played the beta, I started on Friday and couldn't stop playing it. I nearly put 30 hours into it, just for the BETA!

I love this game, its a breath of fresh air, fights go from hectic to insanely intense as your entire team is dead and you are left alone versus 2-4 others. Come out victorious and its the most gratifying feeling I've had in gaming in a long time.

I don't care that it doesn't have a campaign, most are crap anyways. But with no campaign I don't think the game should have been priced at $60. But on PC I managed to pick up the game for $30 and so did many of my friends.

Aside from minor server issues and connection issues, this game is going to pick up steam in the long wrong. Word of mouth should carry this game forward, it'll be a damn shame if this game falls off due to minor issues.

Do yourself a favor and find a way to play this game, I am 100% positive if you like FPS's you will end up buying this game.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Not having a campaign killed my interest in this game.

Too_Jazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Too_Jazzy
Member since 2015 • 74 Posts

I am loving it. The best fps since Cod 4 Imo.

Tense,tactical and with a tough learning curve it's going to be my go to shooter for a long time.

Even when Battlefield 5 releasesI will play both as this can easily sit alongside it as a different experience.