Is anyone else looking forward to a new Soul Calibur game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GojiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GojiMaster
Member since 2009 • 451 Posts

I don't see a lot of love for Soul Calibur here. Most people seem to prefer Tekken or Streetfighter, although Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will probably end up being the greatest fighter of this genration. That said, I still think Soul Calibur 4 has a lot of potential.

Soul Calibur 4 was a good game that sold millions, but it had weak online play and a so-so story mode. IMO, however, Soul Calibur IV was a vastly better game than Tekken 6. I love the 3D fighting effect of SC-- SC 1 on the Dreamcast is my favorite fighting game of all time. Some of the older Tekken games were good too, but Tekken 6 was not a great improvement.

Any thoughts?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

i would be up for another soul calibur, i love the franchise as its the only game where you can see the different styles with weapons being used

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

I don't see a lot of love for Soul Calibur here. Most people seem to prefer Tekken or Streetfighter, although Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will probably end up being the greatest fighter of this genration. That said, I still think Soul Calibur 4 has a lot of potential.

Soul Calibur 4 was a good game that sold millions, but it had weak online play and a so-so story mode. IMO, however, Soul Calibur IV was a vastly better game than Tekken 6. I love the 3D fighting effect of SC-- SC 1 on the Dreamcast is my favorite fighting game of all time. Some of the older Tekken games were good too, but Tekken 6 was not a great improvement.

Any thoughts?

GojiMaster

That was the last time I played a SC game....Dreamcast. It was just one of those fighters that I kinda lost touch with. Same goes for Tekken also.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Hmm last time i played a SC it was on Gamecube, lol @ abusing the same move with Link's megaton hammer!

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Never played 1 or 3, but I played 2 a ton and 4 enough. I just didnt care for 4 when comparing it to 2. I hope they go big with the next one and make it more like 2. Link was the man in SCII :P. I feel as though the create a character should be taken out of games like this, unless they are going to make the game based around your character and actually make you feel unique. Now that could be REALLY cool if they only had customizable characters that you made from the ground up (with some limitations). With the amount of focus on that you could look really unique and that would be you. That said, Soul Calibur is NOT the game to do that with. So just take character creation out :P. Add more weapons and stuff to the already existing chars like in SCII but far more.

PS - star wars characters!? Really!?

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#6 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

I really loved Soul Calibur 2, but 3 really turned me off. I thought that one was pretty bad. And, sadly, I never got around to picking up the fourth. If they made a fifth, though, I might pick it up. I dunno. I just really didn't like the whole character creation thing in the third one and it's story mode wasn't nearly as good as the second one's, where you could just keep going back into it and fighting over and over again, always leveling up and unlocking new things. That had the best story mode ever.

I never really looked into the fourth one, though. Hmm...

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Hmm last time i played a SC it was on Gamecube, lol @ abusing the same move with Link's megaton hammer!

archvile_78

That is the only one I played SCII on the GCN.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Soul Calibur 2 is the Best one.

Even though I've only played 3 games in the franchise

(2, Legends, 4)

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Ehh

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

I'm curious to see how The Soul Calibur team will make Ivy's costume even more skimpier.

Other than that I had fun with Soul Calibur IV, making a load of cartoon, anime and other videogame characters in the character making screen was heaps of fun.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
IMO, qith the second one, the series was at it's prime. Hopefully the next one will have all the charm o the second .... and Link because he pwns (ok ok maybe Spawn too, but ewww the tekken character)
jack00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jack00
Member since 2006 • 4265 Posts

Soul calibur 3 and 4 sucked, so unless they go back to the original soul blade route, no.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
I dunno. I enjoy the games, but something just seems a little stagnant. You always have Killik hitting people before they can get to them, Maxi chaining those ridiculous combos, Cervantes being freaking cheap, Ivy being progressively more and more fanservice-oriented...
johnlennon28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnlennon28
Member since 2008 • 2158 Posts
I had tons of fun on the 2nd soul calibur, 3 and 4 was just alright
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. There are no other 3d fighters that are as smooth imo.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Soul Calibur 2 is amazing. 3 and 4 are pretty sucky tho. Not too hyped for a new one.
unknown37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 unknown37
Member since 2006 • 5135 Posts

Own all the main series games, and will buy SC5 day one when it's released, just like the others.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I'd be down for another Soul Calibur. 3 was a huge letdown, but 4 was a step back in the right direction. 1 and 2 are still easily the best.

standarddamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 standarddamage
Member since 2006 • 1143 Posts

After 4 I've decided that I'm done with the franchise. It was an alright game, but the magic is definitely gone.

Namco Bandai should consider themselves lucky that Legends didn't destroy the franchise forever. God was that game terrible.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Luxen90
Member since 2006 • 7427 Posts

I'm not a that huge of a Soul Calibur fan, but sure I'd like a sequel. I'm confused on why Namco decided to make another tekken game before Soul Calibur. So basically we will see about 2 Tekken games until we get a sequel(just guessing) lol.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Any thoughts?

GojiMaster

Soul Calibur IV was not only the worst in the saga: it killed the saga. Namco doesn't have a valid netcode functional in online matches as Sega with VF 5 or Capcom with SF IV, and without the online games like Soul Calibur, with no fanbase or support in arcade saloons are pretty much dead.

And don't compare Tekken 6 with SC IV; I like more SC but Tekken 6 excells in gameplay and is probably the most successful fighting game in tournaments in the whole generation; SC IV didn't even had a arcade version...

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
I am.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

I'm not a that huge of a Soul Calibur fan, but sure I'd like a sequel. I'm confused on why Namco decided to make another tekken game before Soul Calibur. So basically we will see about 3 Tekken games until we get a sequel(just guessing) lol. Luxen90

Because Tekken is the bigger franchise out of those 2.

Anyway, I'd love to see one more SC, but they have to fix the online... I've never played a single match without lag in SCIV and T6. True story.

Easyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Easyle
Member since 2010 • 2034 Posts
Soul Calibur 4 was horrible. I finished the campaign in like a half hour...
Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Luxen90

[QUOTE="Luxen90"]I'm not a that huge of a Soul Calibur fan, but sure I'd like a sequel. I'm confused on why Namco decided to make another tekken game before Soul Calibur. So basically we will see about 3 Tekken games until we get a sequel(just guessing) lol. GreenGoblin2099

Anyway, I'd love to see one more SC, but they have to fix the online... I've never played a single match without lag in SCIV and T6. True story.

Uhh I know that, but I still think it's a bit ridiculous. I meant 2 games not 3.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
I would be interested if they would just make a really good SC game and not a tired rehash. Maybe they need a fresh start with just the characters from SCII. Would also be a good opportunity to tone down the boobs.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

[QUOTE="Luxen90"]I'm not a that huge of a Soul Calibur fan, but sure I'd like a sequel. I'm confused on why Namco decided to make another tekken game before Soul Calibur. So basically we will see about 3 Tekken games until we get a sequel(just guessing) lol. Luxen90

Uhh I know that, but I still think it's a bit ridiculous. I meant 2 games not 3.

IV really indicated that Namco was losing the plot with SC...all they could do to make people interested anymore was throw in random guest characters and bigger breasts. At least with Tekken they still have quite a huge following in Japan.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

The problem with soul calibur is that while its accessible from the start, there is no room for high level play, and therefore lack of depth. This is a problem that is inherent with the gameplay, and can't really be changed unless you entirely overhaul the way its played. Fighting game fans would also tell you the SCIV was terribly imbalanced.

Luxen90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Luxen90

IV really indicated that Namco was losing the plot with SC...all they could do to make people interested anymore was throw in random guest characters and bigger breasts. At least with Tekken they still have quite a huge following in Japan. Cherokee_Jack

I'm really beginning to lose interest in both series. I had such a hard time even getting into Tekken 6, but yeah at least it seems like Namco is trying to keep the series somewhat fresh with the new games. I'd like a new IP 3D fighter or please bring over that new Virtua Fighter game.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

I love Soul Calibur 2, it's such a great game it's really fun, easy to play but hard to master, Soul Calibur 4 was alright, really fun too but the weak online kind of ruined for me, still the tools to customized your characters or your own creations were amazing.

I'm looking forward to a new one? right now, not at all, i mean, i like the franchise, but when it comes to 3D fighting i want more a new DOA, and overall, next year looks amazing for 2D fighters, so, as much as i love Soul Calibur 2, i'm not dying for a new one.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]IV really indicated that Namco was losing the plot with SC...all they could do to make people interested anymore was throw in random guest characters and bigger breasts. At least with Tekken they still have quite a huge following in Japan. Luxen90

I'm really beginning to lose interest in both series. I had such a hard time even getting into Tekken 6, but yeah at least it seems like Namco is trying to keep the series somewhat fresh with the new games. I'd like a new IP 3D fighter or please bring over that new Virtua Fighter game.

They are busy now... they have to work very hard to not screw up Tekken X Street Fighter, cuz we all know Street Fighter x Tekken is going to be ace.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

The problem with soul calibur is that while its accessible from the start, there is no room for high level play, and therefore lack of depth. This is a problem that is inherent with the gameplay, and can't really be changed unless you entirely overhaul the way its played. Fighting game fans would also tell you the SCIV was terribly imbalanced.

PSdual_wielder

You can suffer brain damage before to master the just frame attacks from the Setsuka and Yoshimitsu characters, to name a few. Is not the lacks of deep what killed the last game, but the focus in Star Wars crap, the awful netcode and the lack of any interest in the sp campaign. Anyway, without arcade support, the series is going to nowhere.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Soul Calibur started going downhill after Soul Calibur 2. Namco would have to really impress to get me excited for another SC or they could just remake Soul Calibur 2 in HD with more modes and characters and I'd be happy.
ThugKing6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ThugKing6669
Member since 2008 • 725 Posts

If I remember correctly a Soul Calibur V is in development as we speak. Or I think is at least in the planning stages. Can't remember exacly, but I'm sure a search for it on google will turn something up. I remember reading something about it on Shoryuken.com. I would buy it and play it, but honestly, I haven't enjoyed Soul Calibur since SC1 on DC. I skipped 2 completely, although played a few matches at a friends. I didn't really enjoy it. Bought 3 and was dissapointed. I bought IV day one, and got some enjoyment out of it, but quickly dropped the game.

Soul Calibur just dosen't do it for me. I like it more than Tekken, but I can see why Tekken is Namcos flagship fighter. The only downside is, is that SC is pretty much the only true weapons based fighter anymore. I don't remember if Namco developed it or just published it, but Weaponlord was pretty cool from what I've played and seen of it. I had a copy of it for SNES but didn't play it much. But would be interesting to see a next gen version of it. Hell, even maybe a new Battle Arena Toshinden lol. It wasn't a great game, but I remember spending countless nights playing it at a friends who got Playstation when it first came out. Really my dream would be a weapons based game that played with the deepness of Virtua Fighter. That would be the perfect weapons based fighting game.