Is 30fps on demanding 4k games ok or 60fps across the board?

• 91 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@vfighter said:

@hardwenzen: You're going to destroy him lol, wtf are you rambling on and on about even?!?

You think i know lol? I'm just quoting his dumb messages.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Something like DLSS 2.0 at 60fps.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@vfighter said:

@R4gn4r0k: Again every gen ever could do 60 fps, some games go for it others dont, I'll ask again why is this upcoming gen magically different?

Standards change over time.

If I can get massively detailed huge open world games like Red Dead Redemption at 30fps on current gen, why should I be happy with 30fps linear games in next gen?

Nah, I'm expecting something new. I'm expecting 60fps across the board.

Not settling for anything less.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

@i_p_daily: Ok so forza horizon 4 was the more enjoyable of the two games, i get that. But 30fps for a racing game should be unacceptable. I guess console players are more used to that and don't notice it but for shooters and racing games especially, that smoothness and faster frames is critical, like honestly the most important part tbh

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Fairmonkey

@davillain-: Thats exactly why i switched to PC. That and many other reasons. Screw 30fps

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Fairmonkey said:

@i_p_daily: Ok so forza horizon 4 was the more enjoyable of the two games, i get that. But 30fps for a racing game should be unacceptable. I guess console players are more used to that and don't notice it but for shooters and racing games especially, that smoothness and faster frames is critical, like honestly the most important part tbh

Well I've put in over 100hrs on Forza 7, and over 200hrs on Forza Horizon 4, and its not unplayable as most hermits on here like to believe.

I think the 60 vs 30 debate is over played on here, if 30fps were unplayable then no one would play games at that framerate, its only when games dip is when it becomes a problem.

I'm not saying 30 is better than 60 because that would be nonsense, what i'm saying is that 60 is not essential, and that 30 can and does work.

I could play FH4 at 60fps if I wanted to, but i'm happy with it at 30, i'm more disappointed that I missed Playgrounds error on FH4 lately where they accidently gave out 200 super wheel spins, and deleted them a few hours later :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@hardwenzen said:

@i_p_daily: You have issues. I kinda knew this already, since i'm not new here, but your problems are worse than i thought, all these years of being laughed at as a lem did some severe damage. I will destroy you this gen. You and your useless 12.1tflops console with nothing to offer than Halo Infinite, a game they delayed for over a year just so the XSX launch with something. You're done. Pack your bags, your lemming life will be very difficult. I might even side with Tormentos to gank you!

Saying you would side with tormeltdownos, you will destroy me, and for me to pack my bags shows that you are in desperate need of help.

My job here is done, chalk up another one lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@vfighter said:

@hardwenzen: You're going to destroy him lol, wtf are you rambling on and on about even?!?

He's lost the plot, first he accused me of stalking him and he reported me and now this, i'm guessing he has multiple personalities as he goes off at the drop of a hat lol.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Fairmonkey

@i_p_daily: I can play at 30 FPS if I have to, I would really prefer not to, thats why I moved to PC. 30fps makes me cringe now and it hurts my eyes or gives me a headache sometimes. Games have been running at 30fps since Super Mario 64 in 1996, 24 years later we are still running the same speed. Is it too much to ask to have a game run at 60fps when it is FACTUALLY superior? 30fps is "playable" sure but not ideal at all. 60fps has been proven to be superior, its night and day for some including me. Better for the eyes, better for the game, better for immersion, better for player input, better in every way. 720p resolution is still "playable" but again, not ideal in a 4k age. The reason why Call of Duty, for example, is known for its fast pace and buttery smooth gameplay is because they always target 60fps. If the next one was 30fps, some will still play it sure but most will notice something is up and complain because it wont have that same buttery smooth gameplay and fast pace.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquClG3j9so

Again, you COULD play it at 30 sure, I could play a game in "720p resolution" but 60fps is clearly much, much better and if we really want "next gen", we need games to hit 60 minimum not this 1996 30fps bullcrap

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Fairmonkey

@Random_Matt: We have had to deal with 30fps since 3D gaming started. It's time to move to 60fps, it has been factually proven to be superior in every measureable category

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#61 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Fairmonkey said:

@Random_Matt: We have had to deal with 30fps since 3D gaming started. It's time to move to 60fps, it has been factually proven to be superior in every measureable category

Moved on from 60, only use the former if I cannot do 144.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Fairmonkey said:

@i_p_daily: I can play at 30 FPS if I have to, I would really prefer not to, thats why I moved to PC. 30fps makes me cringe now and it hurts my eyes or gives me a headache sometimes. Games have been running at 30fps since Super Mario 64 in 1996, 24 years later we are still running the same speed. Is it too much to ask to have a game run at 60fps when it is FACTUALLY superior? 30fps is "playable" sure but not ideal at all. 60fps has been proven to be superior, its night and day for some including me. Better for the eyes, better for the game, better for immersion, better for player input, better in every way. 720p resolution is still "playable" but again, not ideal in a 4k age. The reason why Call of Duty, for example, is known for its fast pace and buttery smooth gameplay is because they always target 60fps. If the next one was 30fps, some will still play it sure but most will notice something is up and complain because it wont have that same buttery smooth gameplay and fast pace.

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zquClG3j9so

Again, you COULD play it at 30 sure, I could play a game in "720p resolution" but 60fps is clearly much, much better and if we really want "next gen", we need games to hit 60 minimum not this 1996 30fps bullcrap

I never said it wasn't superior, I did however say it wasn't essential.

I'm not arguing its not superior, I don't think you get that part, i'm happy with either and either is playable is my point, nothing more, nothing less.

If you had to go PC because you get 60fps in all the games you play then more power to you, I can live with either.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#63 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

SuperMighty XseX MonsterBox won't have any issues with 60 fps so it's all good. :P

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Fairmonkey

@SecretPolice: the next assassin's Creed is going to be 30fps on Xbox so yea, it still has a problem

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SecretPolice

@Fairmonkey:

Nah it's early and they only said at least 30 fps but you can be sure if it's 30 fps on XseX than it's 15 fps on PS Jive and 0 fps on Bait & Switch so still, Xbox Won. :P

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Fairmonkey

@SecretPolice: Xbox needs to bring more than HaloGearsForza if they are gonna win anything. I don't care if the xbox is slightly more powerful than Playstation if there is nothing worth playing on it

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4365 Posts

well what you expect most all game content cant push the rez etc with a good frame rate. in general upscaled became a thing and is not talk about now that much.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SecretPolice

@Fairmonkey:

Phhffft... Halo/Forza/Gears is the pinnacle of gaming whereas PS got nothing worth Playing if they don't up their Game, not Movies. Xbox need not win anything because MS is selling their software across multiple platforms and selling software > selling hardware is where the winning is at. Phony needs to get a handle on that or at least a few more buildings to sell. :P

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#69 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Always 60fps. Anything above 1080p looks great to me.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fairmonkey

@SecretPolice: Microsoft does crap pc ports, has a crap windows tile user interface, and rehashes the same dated 2000's franchises. They could have been as big as steam, pc gaming wise, and if they made the first xbox integrated with pc in 2001, they would have defeated Playstation. Most people in the world don't care about Halo, Gears, and Forza anymore, only lems do. I hope halo infinite is good though. Yea some of sony's games are movie-ish or "last of us" ish, i agree, but people are more excited about them than xbox games because they bring new experiences for people or they are just outright great games. Spider man, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Ratchet and Clank, Shadow of the Colossus, Persona 5, Uncharted 4, God of War, Resogun, Wipeout, Dreams. All good or amazing games and even if ps4's exclusives were the weakest out of ps1, 2, 3 imo, it is still much better than xbox's in most peoples opinion. Halo has been trash since 3, Gears has been trash since 3, Forza has been good but only racing fans care about that just like how Sony has MLB the Show for baseball fans. Both are great but who cares? and that's about it besides cuphead and ori can be ran on a crappy school computer. If microsoft wants to beat sony, they need to make new and exciting experiences.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 SecretPolice

@Fairmonkey:

Nice triggered Opinions you got there. Well, even as hysterical as they are but still, you got opinions man and for that alone you get a cookie with your participation award. lol :P

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

But console kids keep telling us that their games will run at 4K120, why are you even talking about 30vs60 fps?

And how is it even "next-gen" if the games will still be stuck at 30 fps?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@sovkhan said:

30 fps is fine for most sp games.

On the mp side most games should be 60 fps.

30 fps sucks for sp games too. I've tried going back and it's actually painful.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Zaryia

@SecretPolice said:

@Fairmonkey:

Phhffft... Halo/Forza/Gears is the pinnacle of gaming whereas PS got nothing worth Playing if they don't up their Game, not Movies.

Cows are morons, they think those 3 series don't count because they are also on PC. Then when a PC gamer mentions them, Cows say they don't count because they are also on XBOX.

MS Exclusives exist in a void according to those low IQ clowns.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 SecretPolice

@zaryia said:
@SecretPolice said:

@Fairmonkey:

Phhffft... Halo/Forza/Gears is the pinnacle of gaming whereas PS got nothing worth Playing if they don't up their Game, not Movies.

Cows are morons, they think those 3 series don't count because they are also on PC. Then when a PC gamer counts them, Cows say they don't count because they are also on XBOX.

MS Exclusives exist in a void according to those low IQ clowns.

True that but TBH, like many times such as this I say some things that are over the top because I know it will likely lead to Bovine meltdowns.

Hey man, I needs mah morning entertainment. lolol :")

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

I prefer 30fps locked. 60 looks unnatural and feels like floating on oil.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Zaryia

@dimebag667 said:

I prefer 30fps locked. 60 looks unnatural and feels like floating on oil.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Depends on the game. For racing and fighting games 60fps is necessary. For other types of games I guess I prefer better visuals over 60fps. But I'm hoping more games will give you the choice to choose lower quality visuals and higher framerate next gen. Most developers will go for best possible visuals at 30fps on consoles, just like before.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 dimebag667

@zaryia: It's a similar situation with movies. Higher framerates (or Hertz for TV's) kill the "cinematic" feel for me. I can't stand watching a movie/show where those settings make it seem like I'm on the set. It hurts the experience for me. Hell, aren't directors adding a "directors mode" or something to have TV's display movies in the way that they were intended to be viewed?

I really don't care if you agree, but I would like the option to scale it to my preferences.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@dimebag667:

I'll admit I find it to be an incredibly odd preference for an interactive medium. 30fps is something I'll begrudgingly put up with if it's my only option, I'd never actively desire it lol.

But if that's what you like, whatevs.

I'm legit curious though, what kind of games do you like?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

@dimebag667:

I'll admit I find it to be an incredibly odd preference for an interactive medium. 30fps is something I'll begrudgingly put up with if it's my only option, I'd never actively desire it lol.

But if that's what you like, whatevs.

I'm legit curious though, what kind of games do you like?

In every possible situation, I'd prefer to have at least 60fps or more. (144hz) But I can still live with 30fps if that's the best I can get from playing console exclusives of course and as long as 30fps stays locked. That's how I feel about it.

Not directly towards you dimebag667. I can't fathom people who don't mind 30fps over 60fps. I just can't. Either they're completely blind or they're liars. But then again, console gamers don't have a saying in this cause they are always gonna play 30fps mainly you don't have a choice.

At the end of the day, I respect the gamers decision :)

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 dimebag667

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah I can get that, and I sure as hell don't want to force it on anyone...I just want the option.

It's honestly hard to answer that question anymore. I've been playing games since the Atari 7800 and have always been excited with the direction games were going, but this last generation has easily been my least enjoyed. Of this last gen, my favorite games were Guacamelee 1&2 (I know 1 came out earlier, but I played it first on PS4), Resident Evil 2, and Subnautica. Games of the past would be Link to the Past, Socom, StarCraft, Diablo 2, Demon's Souls, Fallout 3, etc. It's shameful, but I must admit that I also really like hidden object games. Most are terrible trash, but they look like old PC games, and I like that.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ConanTheStoner

@dimebag667:

For sure man. Having options is always a good thing. I typically dislike a lot of the post effects that many gamers enjoy, and will disable them when I have the option to do so.

Def wasn't gonna judge you on what you play (though you have some legit greats in there), was really just curious about what type of games you're playing with a 30fps preference.

And yeah, tbh, would def rather play those games at 60 lol.

But yeah not arguing either way, preference is preference.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 dimebag667

@davillain-: Yeah I could just be crazy, but I'm definitely not lying. I can understand people enjoying the sharper fluid look of higher framerates, but for some reason that look is jarring to me. It could just be that I'm so accustomed to lower fps and don't like change.

I'll give an example and you guys can decide if I'm totally off base or not. Playing Battlefield 3 on PS3 was a blast for me because it felt like it was a slightly slower paced, where Battlefield 4 felt faster and more chaotic. In BF3 I felt like I had a little more time to line up a good shot, where in 4 I felt it to be more of a run and gun feeling. Is that more because of the frames, or was it a fundamental change to the game?

That's more in the realm of function, but more often when I talk about higher framerate I mean the look of the game loses its cinematic quality, and becomes more of an experiment than an experience. Hopefully that doesn't just sound like nonsense 😬

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 dimebag667

@ConanTheStoner: Haha, yeah I'm a goofball, but I likes what I likes. At least we can discuss it like normal people and not lose our minds because we don't 100% agree.

I don't know if you're including particle effects in that, but I hate when they overuse them. Too often the game I'm playing looks like a neon confetti nuke has been unleashed on my game world. For me it weakens the desired effect, and turns something cool into cartoony.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 ConanTheStoner

@dimebag667:

I hear that man, particle effects can be straight up obnoxious at times.

But in this case, talking about stuff like overblown bloom, depth of field, and especially chromatic aberration. All of those effects can be done well if subtle, but a lot of times this isn't the case. And chromatic aberration, I feel like it doesn't even belong in 90% of the games that use it.

As a subtle touch to a horror game? Yeah, sure, usually looks great. But games like Tekken 7 or DMCV? FOH, it's like mud smeared over an otherwise clean looking game.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

As a general rule I am content with 1080p 60 fps.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 dimebag667

@ConanTheStoner: I couldn't agree more. Sometimes less is more, and right place right time.

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 108 Posts

60 fps or bust for next gen consoles. 4k means nothing if graphics settings are on low with 30fps choppiness. I’d rather have 1080p ultra settings 60fps any day of the week.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#90 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Would rather 60fps, while normally I do prefer graphics over fps. When a console dips its awful. It's not so bad at 60fps.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3024 Posts

Yeah, I'd be fine with 1080p and 60fps