Is 30fps on demanding 4k games ok or 60fps across the board?

• 91 results
Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 1542 Posts

Regarding the ps5 and XsX, would u prefer games running at Native 4k but 30fps on some games or would you prefer 60fps minimum across the board but either checkered 4k or 1440p on more demanding games?

I prefer 60fps across the board, without question one of the many reasons why I switched to PC. After playing at 60fps minimum or close to, I can't go back to 30fps. Its way to sluggish and hurts my eyes now or gives me a headache. Why is 30fps still the standard when it was also in the 1990s?

What people need to understand is that there are three aspects of graphics/performance: Resolution: the clarity of the picture, Detail: the textures, lighting, shadows, etc, and Frame rate: the speed/smoothness of the picture. For me, the detail and frame rate are more important than the resolution, always. High resolution like 1080p, 1440p, or 4k is nice but it should never be at the sacrifice of detail and/or frame rate. Im fine with playing at 1440p for a few more years if I can play games at higher detail and frames on PC than console. After all, 1440p and 4k isn't a massive difference and I would rather play with best detail and frames I can at a reasonable price if I have to

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1668 Posts

Upscaled with 60fps. As upscalers improve, we will have a hard time differentiating the difference unless we watching a DF video. 30fps vs 60fps is night and day difference.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 12099 Posts

fps over resolution please.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 I_P_Daily  Online
Member since 2015 • 16103 Posts

Don't care, never have and never will.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 1542 Posts

@i_p_daily: you are fine with racing and shooting games being at 30fps? I assure you that it's not only a night and day difference once you see it but 60fps is literally superior for gaming and eyesight over 30. You should watch a YouTube video to see the difference, it's staggering. I literally cringed hard seeing a racing game at 30fps

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 18436 Posts

@SOedipus said:

fps over resolution please.

💪

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 1561 Posts

60+ FPS any day.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 6755 Posts

Depends on the game. Ive played plenty of games at 30 fps over the years and as long as its a nice stable 30 fps I'm 100 % fine with it. Some games, like fighting or racing need 60 fps (or at least usually do).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 994 Posts

Resolution is very important, but 4k is not. Give me 1440p/60fps for all games as an option, and i'll be perfectly happy with my underpowered overclocked 9.2tflop console.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 I_P_Daily  Online

@Fairmonkey said:

@i_p_daily: you are fine with racing and shooting games being at 30fps? I assure you that it's not only a night and day difference once you see it but 60fps is literally superior for gaming and eyesight over 30. You should watch a YouTube video to see the difference, it's staggering. I literally cringed hard seeing a racing game at 30fps

Example: I played Forza 7 at 4k 60fps, and played Forza Horizon 4 at 4k 30fps and I had more fun on FH4, so as long as the framerate is solid it doesn't bother me.

Frames per second doesn't equate to having more fun, well not for me.

phbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#11 phbz
Member since 2009 • 5599 Posts

@i_p_daily: I cannot play FH4 at 30fps. I did started there but once I changed to 60fps I just couldn't. It does look nice at 4k when you're not moving. But once you're moving all that details just gets lost. That's been my main thing this gen, I'm fine with 30 for any game but image clarity at 60 is so superior that I always go for 60 if available and consistent. If it's not consistent I'll take 30 every time.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 15225 Posts

It depends on the game (genre), but as a general rule of thumb I will prefer frame rate over resolution any day of the week. A smoother experience equates to more enjoyable gameplay, it's why I'm a predominantly PC gamer when I have the choice.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen  Online

@i_p_daily said:
@Fairmonkey said:

Example: I played Forza 7 at 4k 60fps, and played Forza Horizon 4 at 4k 30fps and I had more fun on FH4, so as long as the framerate is solid it doesn't bother me.

lol you're such a casual. wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't even tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. IGN is hiring btw.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 18436 Posts

I'll deal with a sub-60 game if it's a good game and I have no other option. Like BotW and Bloodborne for example. Enjoyed them a lot regardless of their poor performance, though it was a constantly nagging issue. In more extreme cases I'll tap out. Remember trying Dark Souls on PS3 and had to quit. Picked it up later for PC and thought it was awesome.

Generally I like having 60 as the baseline standard, works great for most genres. With shooters it's still subpar, usually want to be in the 120 range.

I wish console devs would go back to 60 fps being the target. A lot of people seem to think poor performance was always a thing for consoles, but that's actually not true. Lots of older games were 60 frames. Even on 8 and 16 bit consoles they'd at least have the interactive elements refresh at 60 frames. Was understandable seeing early 3d consoles struggle, but we should have moved past that by now.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 I_P_Daily  Online

@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Fairmonkey said:

lol you're such a casual. wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't even tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. IGN is hiring btw.

Casual, shit you're the one who plays on mobile phones, know your place young'un.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_P_Daily  Online
@phbz said:

@i_p_daily: I cannot play FH4 at 30fps. I did started there but once I changed to 60fps I just couldn't. It does look nice at 4k when you're not moving. But once you're moving all that details just gets lost. That's been my main thing this gen, I'm fine with 30 for any game but image clarity at 60 is so superior that I always go for 60 if available and consistent. If it's not consistent I'll take 30 every time.

I know there's an option for 1080p/60fps on FH4, but I've never looked for it in the options or whatever because the game is stable at 30fps, it has nothing to do with 4k for me as once I start playing the immersion kicks in and all that goes out the window.

I understand the 30 vs 60fps argument, but I just don't care about it.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 2781 Posts

It depends on which genre for Xbox Series X and PS5?

• For sim racing, I predict both will run 60FPS on 4K
  • Open world arcade racers, I predict both will run on 30FPS on 4K
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen  Online

@i_p_daily said:
@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Fairmonkey said:

Casual, shit you're the one who plays on mobile phones, know your place young'un.

You keep talking about mobile phones, not playing games, etc. Not to mention that when you do play something, its a racing games (maybe on your phone???). What's up with that? Surprises me that you were even able to find out about Gamespot.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 889 Posts

30 FPS is not a playable framerate.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VFighter

@wizard: That's weird as Ive played plenty of amazing games at 30 fps.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7734 Posts

60fps with whatever resolution scaler. Nvidia got it down with DLSS, hope AMD has a better solution.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33673 Posts

I can see no situation where 30fps is ok.

The hardware is there, so allow us to play at 60fps.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 216

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14575 Posts

Depends on genre. Action-oriented games (action games, shooters, action-adventures and action RPGs) should definitely aim for 60 fps. Same goes for sports and racing games. But for adventure games, strategy games and RPGs (turn-based or semi-turn-based), 30 fps is fine, though 60 fps is still preferable.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51722 Posts

It's whatever. It's the same as every console generation before. Some games will prioritize framerate, others visuals.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 I_P_Daily  Online

@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:
@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Fairmonkey said:

You keep talking about mobile phones, not playing games, etc. Not to mention that when you do play something, its a racing games (maybe on your phone???). What's up with that? Surprises me that you were even able to find out about Gamespot.

Damn you're on casual4evers bad level of trolling, I mean at least be original and stop stealing his material.

But i'm not surprised that you have no original material as i'm talking to someone who supposedly lost his password to his GS account, and suddenly found it after 15yrs, but we all know that's not true lol.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#26  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27216 Posts

@cdragon_88 said:

Upscaled with 60fps. As upscalers improve, we will have a hard time differentiating the difference unless we watching a DF video. 30fps vs 60fps is night and day difference.

Yes. With Nanite and DLSS it seems up- and downscaling are going to become the standard across the next 2 hardware cycles. A rendering system like Nanite to downscale the polygons to something manageable and machine learning to upscale to a higher pixel count.

That looks to me to be one of the big steps/transitions from here to something that feels next gen. Combined with RTX that doesn't hit performance, HDR, and less statically placed lighting and sound, and the double edged sword of pixel perfect shadows being required for Nanite.

We're going to have weird new graphical issues (over-sharpening, noise), but old ones like pop-ups and switching levels of detail are potentially gone and the quality and performance in general is taking a leap. Creating games will be more fun thanks to these advances, and the teams don't have to keep growing to increase the fidelity, which is important too.

In the past few months we have seen incredible steps forward. I know machine learning is going to do some wacko things to us, but I did not expect it to be used to upscale a game. I expected its black box to be too slow/inaccurate for applications like that.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#27  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11743 Posts

Every game should be optimized for 1080p/60fps minimum. Devs should scale back the scope of the game if that minimum target is not being hit. 30fps is shit, has always been shit, and will always be shit.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter

@R4gn4r0k: There's never been hardware that wasnt able to do 60 fps, all the way back to the 8 bit era (not sure before that honestly), so what makes this next gen magically so different?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6105 Posts

@vfighter said:

@R4gn4r0k: There's never been hardware that wasnt able to do 60 fps, all the way back to the 8 bit era (not sure before that honestly), so what makes this next gen magically so different?

this is the case but its not really as simple as that, say you wanted to drive some current gen open world games at 60fps and you would have to dial down quite a lot of stuff as they are commonly quite cpu heavy, next gen with stronger cpu you can prob still run the same game logic at 60 as you could with 30 but only need to reduce like resolution. You have seen this gens games with performane profiles that drop the resolution to half or even more and still dont hit 60fps? You go from being gpu limited to cpu limited

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41894 Posts

When it comes to game exclusives on consoles, I'm okay gaming with 30fps mainly its a console game I cannot play on PC in 60fps/144Hz, and as long as 30fps stays locked within the game, I won't fuss about it.

As an avi PC gamer, I know 30fps will always be the standard across consoles for years to come and while MS/Sony do offer options for 60fps but its always gonna be up to developers to make that choice and sadly, they'll always shoot for raw graphics over better framerates and lets be real, console gamers don't care about 60fps, they want "plug 'n' play" and have fun. If console gamers want 60fps in all of their games, they can always switch to PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec561f06de43
deactivated-5ec561f06de43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5ec561f06de43
Member since 2020 • 111 Posts

FPS > detail and effects > resolution

I think making the jump to 4K was premature, would have preferred to see an emphasis on framerate followed closely by more detail.

1080p is still a really good resolution. I can't even believe we are already discussing 8K.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19489 Posts

All of my favorite single player games were 30 frames , some even had some dips from time to time - (Bloodborne , The Last Guardian , Until Dawn)

I'd be fine with 30 , but hopefully some of the dips can be smoothed out.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wizard
Member since 2015 • 889 Posts

@vfighter: Its nauseating and laggy.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 6105 Posts

@Nike_Air said:

All of my favorite single player games were 30 frames , some even had some dips from time to time - (Bloodborne , The Last Guardian , Until Dawn)

I'd be fine with 30 , but hopefully some of the dips can be smoothed out.

and all of those would play better at 60, esp bloodborne if you check the 60fps modded video its kinda insane how buttery smooth it gets instead of sad state it is on by default. given the choice I'd play the game at 720p 60fps vs 1080p 30fps with terrible frame pacing any day.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 33673 Posts

@vfighter said:

Even Xbox One X can't pull off RDR 2 at 4K or even 1080p 60fps.

Don't kid yourself. The next gen is a huge leap in performance and I expect 60fps, not settling for anything less.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4953 Posts

Modern gaming, defending 30 FPS, wow.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3035 Posts

60 with lower resolution would be preferred by me. As stated earlier, the technique of hiding lower resolutions has become so good, it is really hard to see the difference if it's noticeable at all.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 6160 Posts

30fps sucks

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen  Online

@i_p_daily: Something is dead wrong with you, bud. This is what happens when you defend an xbone for the whole generation, one of the worst console ever created. Are you primarily playing racing games because MS never had anything else but halo/gears/forza? No wonder your taste of trash. Not like you had any chance with so little exclusives on the system (which aren't exclusive anymore lol).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30188 Posts

Well if given the option I would prefer 60fps but I’m ok with games at 30fps. Depends on the type of game as well.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 41894 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Modern gaming, defending 30 FPS, wow.

There is nothing to defend 30fps. Console gamers don't have a saying in this because they don't get a choice unlike PC, we get a choice. Why do you think most of us game on PC? So we can get away from 30fps.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7043 Posts

Resolution isn't the reason why its 30FPS though... Its because of the graphics, ray tracing you are lucky to get 1440-1800p 30FPS.

30FPS is pretty much a guaranteed for every pretty game out there unless its a competitive game resolution will be sacrificed why do you think Nvidia and AMD are working on ways to make lower than 4K graphics look like native resolutions?

This is no longer a resolution race and seeing as the CPU's are both more than enough for 60FPS its very CLEAR that graphics are the reason why we have 30FPS on console.

The level of graphics you can achieve by going from 60 to 30FPS... Its substantial and a decision that any and every developer will take for a game that doesn't require the higher framerates.

Its why I game on PC, consoles have no choice but give you what the developers offer you.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 495 Posts

There is no need for some games to be 60fps, likewise 4K is a waste of resources. If people want next gen looking games it will have to be up to 1800p/dynamic and likely 30fps. Look at the UE5 demo running at 1440p30 and everyone is clamoring how next gen it looks. If that was 4K60 it would still look good but no where near as to what we saw. Even a 2080 ti would struggle to run that at 4K30.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 7284 Posts

Gamers should get to choose between: Cinematic mode (4K/30) | Game mode (3K/60) and Performance mode (2K/120)

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 7284 Posts

@davillain-: When I bought my high end ($3000) PC back in 2009 I was targeting 30 fps :p

I played through the entirety of Crysis at just 25-28 fps. Didn't see as high 30 throughout the entire run through

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1518 Posts

30 fps is fine for most sp games.

On the mp side most games should be 60 fps.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 I_P_Daily  Online

@hardwenzen said:

@i_p_daily: Something is dead wrong with you, bud. This is what happens when you defend an xbone for the whole generation, one of the worst console ever created. Are you primarily playing racing games because MS never had anything else but halo/gears/forza? No wonder your taste of trash. Not like you had any chance with so little exclusives on the system (which aren't exclusive anymore lol).

Nah you're the person with issues as you shit on PC/Nintendo/MS/Sony all the time, I mean i'd be surprised if you even play games at this point lol.

As for taste, well i'm playing the best racing games the genre has to offer, so my taste is fine, unlike you who hides behind multiple accounts, and very rarely even talks about any games you play.

Seek help asap.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen  Online

@i_p_daily: You have issues. I kinda knew this already, since i'm not new here, but your problems are worse than i thought, all these years of being laughed at as a lem did some severe damage. I will destroy you this gen. You and your useless 12.1tflops console with nothing to offer than Halo Infinite, a game they delayed for over a year just so the XSX launch with something. You're done. Pack your bags, your lemming life will be very difficult. I might even side with Tormentos to gank you!

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VFighter

@R4gn4r0k: Again every gen ever could do 60 fps, some games go for it others dont, I'll ask again why is this upcoming gen magically different?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VFighter

@hardwenzen: You're going to destroy him lol, wtf are you rambling on and on about even?!?