Is 1080p really needed in games ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

I mean shouldnt every inch of power go to make games look closer to CGI in 720p, than have mediocre graphics in 1080p ?

I dont see games anywhere close to 720p movie quality yet

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

Pre-emptive damage control for nextbox 720p games

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
I guess that depends on whether or not Sony/MS say its needed. If next gen games are 720p console gamers will say 1080p is unnecessary. If they are 1080p, they will claim there is no point in owning a PC
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

The **** did i get a 1080p TV for

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Idk about you Loosey. But I watched Avatar in 1080p. /full screen
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

480p is where the fun is

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

I mean shouldnt every inch of power go to make games look closer to CGI in 720p, than have mediocre graphics in 1080p ?

I dont see games anywhere close to 720p movie quality yet

loosingENDS

AMD Cinema 2.0's Radeon HD 4870 X2(~2.4 TFLOPs)'s Ruby tech demo with real time voxel ray tracing.

Ruby_Techdemo.jpg

18e.jpg

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/&menu=browser&image_id=875158&article_id=655742&page=1&show=n

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

That's because CGI movies are rendered by farms of computers, taking hours at a time to render a single scene. In other words, NOT REAL TIME. And to answer your question, yes, 1080p is absolutely needed. The difference between 720p and 1080p is night and day, for anyone who's not blind and/or trolling system wars. That's why all those CGI movies also look better in 1080p than 720p. Just like... literally everything looks better in 1080p than 720p. It's over twice as many pixels. It's not hard to understand. If the next Playstation and Xbox have ANY games that aren't being rendered in 1080p native... well that will just be beyond pathetic.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
What's the point in having detailed games if it's running at a resolution too low to even see that detail?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Maybe you should wait until Xbox 720 is announced before making excuses for why most of its games are 720p.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

ohhh loosey i missed you. always so entertaining to here you vomit

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
I dont see games anywhere close to 720p movie quality yetloosingENDS
:| you know there's a difference between games and movies, right? games will always be behind movies, because games have to process everything in real time. but to answer your question, lower levels of detail in 1080p look better than higher levels of detail in 720p
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jebus213
Xbox 360:  PC:  /thread
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45991 Posts

Spiderman-Look-Laugh-74015779831.jpeg

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Is 720p really needed in games ?

I mean shouldnt every inch of power go to make games look closer to CGI in 240p, than have mediocre graphics in 720p ?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jebus213
oh my sides
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 the_bi99man

What's the point in having detailed games if it's running at a resolution too low to even see that detail?PernicioEnigma

Exactly. Dark Souls is a perfect example. It's certainly not a "graphics king" kind of game, even on PC, in HD, but it's shocking how much detail there is in the textures, that's completely invisible in the PS3/360 versions. You put the game on PC, give it a quick tweak to allow it to render in 1080p and, without any other alterations, all the sudden you see quite a bit of great little details, that looked like they were coated in vaseline before. The artists involved in the game drew up some beautiful, highly detailed models/textures/etc., but that sub-HD resolution is literally just not enough pixels to show all the detail that's already there.

Some people really seem to think that effects and texture details are more important than resolution, when it comes to making a game look good. That's totally ass-backwards. Obviously the effects and details help, but without high resolution, all the effects and details in the world are meaningless and might as well be invisible.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
You could just as easily ask, "Are video games really needed in life?" That being said, Rayman Origins didn't look that much different in 1080p or 720p. I'm pretty sure Rayman Origins was legitimate 1080p for consoles.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I think it's important to treat each individual pixel as an individual.

Stand up for the rights of every individual pixel.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Sheesh what display are you are using to look at that pict? Your netbook or your grandpa's tv set?

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Drasonak

psymon100

So they can operate as a system and then get called out as screen-tearing ("communist") if deviate even a little from the masses?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jebus213
Boring.. I'm going to watch Planet Earth in HD peacefully as I go to sleep. Watch Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman to get a good mind fvcking when I wake up.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Spiderman-Look-Laugh-74015779831.jpeg

R4gn4r0k

Your sig goes perfect with that post.:lol:

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 psymon100

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

Drasonak

So they can operate as a system and then get called out as screen-tearing ("communist") if deviate even a little from the masses?

I am afraid it's too late there is already an operating system.

They shouldn't be making those panels with so many pixels if there isn't work for them to do, not in this economy.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I'm trying to understand your logic, I really am but to no avail.

Congrats, I guess, if that was your intention.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Resolution and framerate over high quality textures, anyday.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
I got the Ni No Kuni demo (finally, gotta love that maintenance, thank you Sony!) and I instantly wished it was in 1080p. It just all looks slightly blurry and it really takes away a lot more than you'd expect from the visuals, especially in games with really nice hand painted textures like that. When I play PC games I happily trade off some more advanced features to keep 1080p because that crisper image adds so much.
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"]

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

psymon100

They shouldn't be making those panels with so many pixels if there isn't work for them to do, not in this economy.

Ha ha, easy, buddy. It was just a joke. Sorry if that was hard to read. I sometimes project my knowledge onto others when not everyone has been treated with the same education (no offense, of course). My apologies, I should've denoted it with a goofy smiley face.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 psymon100

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] So they can operate as a system and then get called out as screen-tearing ("communist") if deviate even a little from the masses?

Drasonak

Ha ha, easy, buddy. It was just a joke. Sorry if that was hard to read. I sometimes project my knowledge onto others when not everyone has been treated with the same education (no offense, of course). My apologies, I should've denoted it with a goofy smiley face.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

Is 720p really needed in games ?

I mean shouldnt every inch of power go to make games look closer to CGI in 240p, than have mediocre graphics in 720p ?

call_of_duty_10

No, they should go even further and have life-like graphics in one pixel, than have GGI quality in 240p

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="psymon100"]

psymon100

Ha ha, ****, I misread your original statement. I didn't misread your character or emotions; rather, your sentence. Sorry, I usually don't do that, ha ha. I wish this didn't happen. But I am pretty drunk. I know I type well when I'm drunk, but you can only expect me to do so much?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k

Your sig goes perfect with that post.:lol:

mitu123

Haha, yeah. I noticed that too ^^

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#35 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] Ha ha, easy, buddy. It was just a joke. Sorry if that was hard to read. I sometimes project my knowledge onto others when not everyone has been treated with the same education (no offense, of course). My apologies, I should've denoted it with a goofy smiley face.Drasonak

Ha ha, ****, I misread your original statement. I didn't misread your character or emotions; rather, your sentence. Sorry, I usually don't do that, ha ha. I wish this didn't happen. But I am pretty drunk. I know I type well when I'm drunk, but you can only expect me to do so much?

Ladies you ar both rilly smart ok.
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 psymon100

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] Ha ha, easy, buddy. It was just a joke. Sorry if that was hard to read. I sometimes project my knowledge onto others when not everyone has been treated with the same education (no offense, of course). My apologies, I should've denoted it with a goofy smiley face.Drasonak

Whoa. It would be cool if I had any character or emotion :(

Sounds to me like you are having a great time, that's good. Maybe it will help you to think creatively about threads you might author?

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

ohhh loosey i missed you. always so entertaining to here you vomit

ionusX
I missed him too :cry: Would you like a napkin, loosey? There's a lot of sh!t going out of your mouth.
ziggyww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ziggyww
Member since 2012 • 907 Posts
I want them to be able to keep up with the TV's that will be released in a year or two that are capable of 4k resolutions (4x 1080p for the few that didn't know) I don't see that happening though if all these rumours are true looking at the specs...shame would be nice to have a 4k powerhouse console to go with my new 4k TV when I get one. just picture if that happened this cycle and PS3 and 360 didn't look to HDTV's that were coming out or just released. when the consoles came out hardly anyone had a HDTV and there were expensive now they are cheap and everyone has one. I don't want a console that can't keep up with the upcoming TV resolutions. That you they will be releasing a new console in 3 years which I don't want aswell
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="psymon100"]

[QUOTE="Drasonak"] So they can operate as a system and then get called out as screen-tearing ("communist") if deviate even a little from the masses?

Drasonak

Good fvcking God, you are unbelievably condescending, and self-righteous. With your little thinly-veiled insults, and your constant subtle suggestions that you're better than everyone because you're a fvcking college student. Like your screen-tearing communist joke was sooooo deep and intelligent. Go ahead and keep compensating for whatever your deep-seeded insecurities are. Seems like it's working out for you.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Drasonak

[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="psymon100"]

the_bi99man

Good fvcking God, you are unbelievably condescending, and self-righteous. With your little thinly-veiled insults, and your constant subtle suggestions that you're better than everyone because you're a fvcking college student. Like your screen-tearing communist joke was sooooo deep and intelligent. Go ahead and keep compensating for whatever your deep-seeded insecurities are. Seems like it's working out for you.

No, it wasn't an insult. It's not his fault. I understand that my circumstances are situational, and others could've just as well have found my place where I'm at had they been in the same shoes as me. Also, did you really just start stalking my posts? I just saw you in another thread I made. This isn't FaceBook, son. That ****'s weird.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

Considering I have been on 1900x1200 for the past 3 years 1080 feels backwards and its hugely annoying that PC monitors are going the way of the 16:9 ratio. Just means I need to up it to 1660 or whatever it is.

In answer to the 720p, you are basically saying "I want to see awesome visualls, but less of it." You could get crazy good visuals with 480 but then you wouldnt see it... so resoultion with graphics fedility to goes hand in hand. To add more detail you need to be able to see it. Its as simple as that really.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Yes it's needed because upscaling looks like @ss and pretty soon you probably won't even be able to buy plain 720p sets. I played the uncharted 3 demo at a ps3 kiosk in a walmart a few days ago and it looked like complete ass thanks to it being upscaled.

People who say they don't notice it probably sit so far back that they might as well be playing at 480p anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Yeah it really is. HIgher then 1080p if possible aswell.

Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Drasonak

Yes it's needed because upscaling looks like @ss and pretty soon you probably won't even be able to buy plain 720p sets. I played the uncharted 3 demo at a ps3 kiosk in a walmart a few days ago and it looked like complete ass thanks to it being upscaled.

People who say they don't notice it probably sit so far back that they might as well be playing at 480p anyways.

topgunmv
With the PC, you're always only a few inches away from your monitor. I sit about six feet away from my TV. Does this at all negate the visual fidelity of 1080p?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

480p is where the fun is

wis3boi
240p here I come
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Drasonak

With the PC, you're always only a few inches away from your monitor. I sit about six feet away from my TV. Does this at all negate the visual fidelity of 1080p?

How big is your tv?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Drasonak
With the PC, you're always only a few inches away from your monitor.

A few inches? o_O I'm like 3 or 4 feet away from my monitor most of the time.
Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

[QUOTE="Drasonak"][QUOTE="topgunmv"]

parkurtommo

With the PC, you're always only a few inches away from your monitor.

A few inches? o_O I'm like 3 or 4 feet away from my monitor most of the time.

You must either have a very large desk or very long arms. :P

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

No, it wasn't an insult. It's not his fault. I understand that my circumstances are situational, and others could've just as well have found my place where I'm at had they been in the same shoes as me. Also, did you really just start stalking my posts? I just saw you in another thread I made. This isn't FaceBook, son. That ****'s weird.

I'm not stalking anything. I just also happen to frequent these forums, and hard to miss the obscene amount of douchey knowitallness you've been spewing. Is that what you learned in psych 101? Talk to everyone like they're a child, an unable to understand you? Suggest that they're uneducated when they call you out for it? You have a very underhanded method to your condescending. Softballing your superiority complex on people just subtly enough that when someone actually takes offense, you can act like you didn't mean anything by it, and try to make it look like they're overreacting. Did you learn that in pysch 101, too?

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

Most TVs these days are 1080P natively, I'd say it's more important to reach 1080P as a standard right now. A lot of detail gets lost due to 720P.