iPhone graphics are pretty darn good

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

With the introduction of the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th generation, iPhone games are starting to look good...and I mean REALLY good.

Sure, the controls aren't the best, but we've got some pretty good looking games here, especially for a phone

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

I'd be sold if I didn't have to use my thumbs as makeshift analog sticks.

completely ruins the games for me. accuracy being crap, and my thumbs blocking 1/3 my screen area.

Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts
Looks great.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

I'd be sold if I didn't have to use my thumbs as makeshift analog sticks.

completely ruins the games for me. accuracy being crap, and my thumbs blocking 1/3 my screen area.

HavocV3
Completely agree
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

"sure the controls arent the best, but..."

Thats really where it should stop. Controls are half the battle and without good controls that can lend themselves to many genres, why bother?

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Too bad it has terrible controls, no physical media, extremely limited third party support from major companies, and no first party support to speak of. iOS is great as an indie platform, but the best games usually graduate to better platforms anyway (Angry Birds, for example).
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jared2720

Thats really where it should stop. Controls are half the battle and without good controls that can lend themselves to many genres, why bother?

NaveedLife
Because there is demand for good mobile games on touch screen devices. Everybody seems to be forgetting that we represent the minority. We are but a very small voice in an otherwise very large market. Most people are fine with touch controls. That's where the world is headed. Whether we like it or not is inconsequential.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

Jared2720

Because there is demand for good mobile games on touch screen devices. Everybody seems to be forgetting that we represent the minority. We are but a very small voice in an otherwise very large market. Most people are fine with touch controls. That's where the world is headed. Whether we like it or not is inconsequential.

You can never play (in a conevenient and relatively functional way) the more complex games on the other handhelds with just a touch screen. I like touchscreen on the DS, but JUST touchscreen is crap. And anyone who thinks making computers control via touch screen only is a good idea, is just plain wrong. I would love to surf the internet and play games with my hands on the screen and getting tired lol.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Controls suck though.
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jared2720

[QUOTE="Jared2720"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

You can never play (in a conevenient and relatively functional way) the more complex games on the other handhelds with just a touch screen. I like touchscreen on the DS, but JUST touchscreen is crap. And anyone who thinks making computers control via touch screen only is a good idea, is just plain wrong. I would love to surf the internet and play games with my hands on the screen and getting tired lol.

It breaks down like this, I think: touchscreen devices are fantastic for content consumption (reading, surfing the Internet, watching videos, playing a casual game, etc...). Surfing the Internet on an iPad, for example, despite those who think Flash is a deal-breaker, is a marvelous experience. Much better than a laptop or a netbook. The problem, of course, is that touchscreen devices are not so good for content creation (word processing and other artistic pursuits that require precise alterations being the most obvious examples). Gaming, it seems, falls somewhere between content consumption and creation.

Here's the issue at hand: as I said, touchscreen is the future. That's where the world is going. The vast majority of people are consumers of content. Only a few, by comparison, are creating it. You do the math. In the end, it depends on what you're doing. For the average person, touchscreen is a great experience. Gamers, it seems, will have to find a way of evolving. I'm still not sure how the industry will navigate this paradigm shift. But it will be interesting to watch over the next decade or so.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
But having no dedicated controls sucks, which is why I have a psp
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points