IO interactive survive and Square Enix fall.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24894 Posts

Hello friends,

So Square enix actually fired IO interactive back in 2016 after Hitman release, ruined Deus Ex in favor of avengers and marvel money, killed sleeping dogs series as shut down thier developers etc. yet after saperate from square enix IO got Hitman IP and still better than ever. take a look at this

On other hand Square enix avengers disappoint everyone and they lost money

and This is the series they killed Deus Ex for. forcing Eidos to work on Avengers with crystal dynamic and turn into Loot RPG crap and they failed. as a result avengers turned out to be biggest failure of 2020 along with Cyberpunk.

IO on other hand finally deliver masterpiece in a shape of Hitman 3 and now are working on James Bond game which I believe will be first truly great James bond game and could be IO next masterpiece.

So my friend, are square enix will be angry if they don't separate IO interactive and killed Deus Ex? this is how table turn. independent studio survive and AAAA company fall.

what do you think? lets discuss my friends.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

What?

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3540 Posts

Bad english. And FFVII Remake.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

Square always get good sales on their games, but they also overspend when developing them, so in the end the corpos get to complain about losing money every singe times for years and years and yet they keep doing it. One could thing that the games are considered as losing them money because the executives are lining their own pockets with the development funds.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

I'm happy Hitman 3 has been met with great reviews but 48m isn't shit to a company like Square. Just last year they released FF7 Remake and do you know how much money they made off of that alone? 5 million copies sold to date. Being that the game hasn't come down in price much, I bet majority of those sales were at $60 per unit and probably more in other countries.

Now...5m x $60 = $300m. Subtract dev and ad cost (roughly $25-$50m) and you still got a hefty $250m (on the low end) and that was just one game. Don't get me started on TR numbers...

Point I'm making is that it's awesome that Hitman 3 doing great review wise but sales wise, that's to be seen. Furthermore, companies like S/E wipe their asses with $48m.

Just saying...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38634 Posts

Friend, i can tell you're very very excited.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58257 Posts

Good for IOI

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

I bet @ghosts4ever doesn't care either Hitman or Avengers at all. This poor man just wants his favorite Deus Ex back. And ironically, if the Avengers game sells well, it's more likely that a new Deus EX game will come out with that money.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46169 Posts

AAA industry isn't interested in linear sales model anymore

Sell games > profit

Instead they want to sell you marketplaces where they can keep earning money with season passes, microtransactions and to a lesser extent now: lootboxes.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I don't want square enix to fall they could still make a comeback like capcom did with re2 remake

They should have made it turn based tho i think that hurt them for ff7 classic mode wasn't enough.

Music didn't seem as good nobuo's ff7 music they should have just hired a orchaestra to redo his and make it sound better.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Well FF7R sold 5 million as of August and they have a ton of games on the horizon. I think SE is fine.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34550 Posts

Square Enix losing 48 million on Avengers is probably not that big of a deal for them. Bigger deal for us, as an Avengers 2 should be less likely. 👍

Cool for IO Interactive though. Hopefully SE realize their mistake while IO got a big grin on its face.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

AAA industry isn't interested in linear sales model anymore

Sell games > profit

Instead they want to sell you marketplaces where they can keep earning money with season passes, microtransactions and to a lesser extent now: lootboxes.

Yea, rarely buy AAA games now and feel pretty bad for kids growing up now with all this... shit.

Pretty vile really.

God bless the 90's.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46169 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, rarely buy AAA games now and feel pretty bad for kids growing up now with all this... shit.

Pretty vile really.

God bless the 90's.

I mean kids growing up with predatory F2P mobile schemes must develop real spending issues later in life, I'm sure.

"Where is the way to buy my success?"

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17790 Posts

@louixiii said:

I'm happy Hitman 3 has been met with great reviews but 48m isn't shit to a company like Square. Just last year they released FF7 Remake and do you know how much money they made off of that alone? 5 million copies sold to date. Being that the game hasn't come down in price much, I bet majority of those sales were at $60 per unit and probably more in other countries.

Now...5m x $60 = $300m. Subtract dev and ad cost (roughly $25-$50m) and you still got a hefty $250m (on the low end) and that was just one game. Don't get me started on TR numbers...

Point I'm making is that it's awesome that Hitman 3 doing great review wise but sales wise, that's to be seen. Furthermore, companies like S/E wipe their asses with $48m.

Just saying...

It is still a net loss with titles under performing. That means FF7 Remake combined with all the other titles didn't make them shit when all the chips were counted. Also, don't mistake revenue for profits. Revenues have to exceed the costs of development, marketing, manufacturing/distribution, royalty fees, etc. before there is a profit.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45049 Posts

Hitman is less mainstream than your beloved DOOM. Unfortunately having a good score doesn't always equate to good sales.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Ummm...where are the sale numbers for Hitman?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#18 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10580 Posts

18-4. Also got i_p_daily's troll thread right. The giveaway was the word "change," which is not in Ghost's vocabulary.

Anyway, it's just nice to have an independent developer doing well. That said, while Square Enix make plenty of questionable business decisions, they'll be okay so long as they have Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

While I was pretty disappointed with how the Marvel Avengers game turned out Square-Enix still do some great stuff that I very much enjoy so I think that they’ll do just fine.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LouiXIII

@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:

Just saying...

It is still a net loss with titles under performing. That means FF7 Remake combined with all the other titles didn't make them shit when all the chips were counted. Also, don't mistake revenue for profits. Revenues have to exceed the costs of development, marketing, manufacturing/distribution, royalty fees, etc. before there is a profit.

FF Series + TR series = INSANE Success...

Avengers under performed...

How do you figure the other titles didn't make them shit when they're still developing games? Money doesn't grow on trees...

And if you look above, dev and marketing cost was factored in. It's simple mathematics. AAA games roughly cost $20m to dev plus another $25m for marketing. They own the IP so what royalty fees? Distribution sure but when close to half of your sales are digital, that eliminates a lot manufacturing cost.

I don't even own many Square games but business is business. If you think one bad title hurts an entire company, you don't understand the business.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BassMan

@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:

Just saying...

How do you figure the other titles didn't make them shit when they're still developing games? Money doesn't grow on trees...

And if you look above, dev and marketing cost was factored in. It's simple mathematics. AAA games roughly cost $20m to dev plus another $25m for marketing. They own the IP so what royalty fees? Distribution sure but when close to half of your sales are digital, that eliminates a lot manufacturing cost.

I don't even own many Square games but business is business. If you think one bad title hurts an entire company, you don't understand the business.

They reported a net loss. So, that means the successful titles were not enough to offset the losses for that reporting period. I don't see why that is so hard to understand. Also, AAA games can cost a lot more than 20 million to develop and they still have to pay royalties to Sony/MS/Valve, etc. when selling digital. Avengers is reported to have a budget of 100+ million dollars.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I don't see how FF7 Remake selling 5 million is a huge win.

The original the classic turn based champion FF7 PS1 sold 17 million copies thats a huge win. This isnt.

They abandon there classic fans pokemon is still turn based fire emblem is still sorta tactical.

No.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

@pc_rocks: That's the question, right? Avengers didn't meet it's projections, but will probably tripple the sales of Hitman.

That said, I'm glad things are working out for IO. Proof AA ideas can still be viable in the modern world, if you manage scope, budget, and expectations properly.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

An underperforming live service skinner box still makes much more money than a regular single player game.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LouiXIII

@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:

Just saying...

They reported a net loss. So, that means the successful titles were not enough to offset the losses for that reporting period. I don't see why that is so hard to understand. Also, AAA games can cost a lot more than 20 million to develop and they still have to pay royalties to Sony/MS/Valve, etc. when selling digital. Avengers is reported to have a budget of 100+ million dollars.

This is what you're not understanding. We're talking about a company that's worth BILLIONS....not millions but billions. With that being said, comments like "That means FF7 Remake combined with all the other titles didn't make them shit when all the chips were counted. Also, don't mistake revenue for profits" is ludicrous.

Here's a link.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SQNXF/square-enix-holdings/net-worth

As of yesterday, they were worth $6.88 billion USD. So if you really think they didn't make a profit from titles like FF7 and the TombRaider trilogy, you need a straight jacket.

Like I said before, they wipe their asses with 48m.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BassMan

@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:

This is what you're not understanding. We're talking about a company that's worth BILLIONS....not millions but billions. With that being said, comments like "That means FF7 Remake combined with all the other titles didn't make them shit when all the chips were counted. Also, don't mistake revenue for profits" is ludicrous.

Here's a link.

As of yesterday, they were worth $6.88 billion USD. So if you really think they didn't make a profit from titles like FF7 and the TombRaider trilogy, you need a straight jacket.

Why are you bringing up the company's worth? That still does not change the FACT that they posted a net loss during that reporting period. Stop deflecting and just accept the facts. You are trying way too hard and are looking like an idiot.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@madrocketeer: Lol, yeah it was a good thread my friend, lets discuss 🤣🤣🤣

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LouiXIII

@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:

Here's a link.

Why are you bringing up the company's worth? That still does not change the FACT that they posted a net loss during that reporting period. Stop deflecting and just accept the facts. You are trying way too hard and are looking like an idiot.

Easy. In my initial response, I said that Square-Enix wipes their asses with $48m which is a FACT. You're replying to a comment I made making you the "deflector" here...

I never said they didn't take a loss because that's been documented but if you'd brush up on your comprehension skills, you'd actually see where I was coming from. Read my original comment but take your time this go-round because you're the one that's starting to sound a bit slow....but your claim that S/E didn't make a profit from FF7 Remake makes you sound remedial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake

So don't get pissy with me for some stupid shit you said. Check the mirror pal

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#29 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19493 Posts

Square Enix are still printing money with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Tomb Raider. They can afford to eat a loss on Avengers. And that's only for a single quarter. They'll still make profit on the overall fiscal year.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6857 Posts

Actually really wanted to get into Hitman. Any reason I should buy the first two in the new trilogy? Like does the story matter?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jag85  Online

@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:

Just saying...

Incorrect. Square Enix reported an overall net profit for the first half of fiscal year 2020 (April-September)...

Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Avengers push Square Enix H1 sales up 43%

For the six months ended September 30, Square Enix posted revenues up 43% year-over-year to ¥172.73 billion ($1.67 billion). Profits were also up 46.3% to ¥16.05 billion ($155.4 million).

Square Enix sold a total of 12.08 million copies of new games during the first half, split almost evenly between physical and downloadable versions, compared to 8.65 million copies in last year's first half when its biggest releases were a Switch port of Dragon Quest 11 and an Xbox One version of Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD Remaster.

The publisher gave little indication as to just how Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Marvel's Avengers performed, but some of their performance can be inferred.

In the first half when Final Fantasy 7 Remake launched, the publisher's HD Games division posted net sales of ¥34.1 billion ($330.1 million) and an operating income of more than ¥10 billion ($96.8 million).

For the second quarter when Marvel's Avengers launched, Square Enix's HD Games business saw net sales of ¥23.7 billion ($229.4 million) and an operating loss of more than ¥5 billion ($48.4 million).

In other words, the amount of profit Square Enix made from Final Fantasy VII Remake was more than enough to offset whatever loss they made on Avengers by a significant margin.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4358 Posts

@Jag85: on top of that their anime/manga div is making money like always

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jag85  Online
@firedrakes said:

@Jag85: on top of that their anime/manga div is making money like always

Yeah, the report is only talking about the HD games division (e.g. FF7R and Avengers). Their other divisions are all profitable, including MMO games (e.g. FFXIV and DQX), mobile games (e.g. DQ Walk and FF Brave Exvius), and manga (e.g. Fullmetal Alchemist and Manga Up).

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BassMan

@Jag85 said:
@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:

Just saying...

Incorrect. Square Enix reported an overall net profit for the first half of fiscal year 2020 (April-September)...

Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Avengers push Square Enix H1 sales up 43%

For the six months ended September 30, Square Enix posted revenues up 43% year-over-year to ¥172.73 billion ($1.67 billion). Profits were also up 46.3% to ¥16.05 billion ($155.4 million).

Square Enix sold a total of 12.08 million copies of new games during the first half, split almost evenly between physical and downloadable versions, compared to 8.65 million copies in last year's first half when its biggest releases were a Switch port of Dragon Quest 11 and an Xbox One version of Final Fantasy 10/10-2 HD Remaster.

The publisher gave little indication as to just how Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Marvel's Avengers performed, but some of their performance can be inferred.

In the first half when Final Fantasy 7 Remake launched, the publisher's HD Games division posted net sales of ¥34.1 billion ($330.1 million) and an operating income of more than ¥10 billion ($96.8 million).

For the second quarter when Marvel's Avengers launched, Square Enix's HD Games business saw net sales of ¥23.7 billion ($229.4 million) and an operating loss of more than ¥5 billion ($48.4 million).

In other words, the amount of profit Square Enix made from Final Fantasy VII Remake was more than enough to offset whatever loss they made on Avengers by a significant margin.

Your link doesn't work. Also, all that matters is the the last paragraph for the quarterly reporting period....

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BassMan

@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:
@BassMan said:
@louixiii said:

Here's a link.

Easy. In my initial response, I said that Square-Enix wipes their asses with $48m which is a FACT. You're replying to a comment I made making you the "deflector" here...

I never said they didn't take a loss because that's been documented but if you'd brush up on your comprehension skills, you'd actually see where I was coming from. Read my original comment but take your time this go-round because you're the one that's starting to sound a bit slow....but your claim that S/E didn't make a profit from FF7 Remake makes you sound remedial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake

So don't get pissy with me for some stupid shit you said. Check the mirror pal

I never said FF7 Remake did not make a profit. I said that it didn't offset any losses from Marvel Avengers during that reporting period. There was a $48m loss during that quarter.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jag85  Online

@BassMan: I've now fixed the link. It shows that Square Enix's HD Games division made a profit over the six-month period, including a profit for the first quarter when FF7R released and a loss for the second quarter when Avengers released. When taking the total six-month period into account, it's an overall profit, showing that FF7R more than offset Avengers. And that's only the HD Games division. There's also the MMO, mobile and manga divisions, which were all profitable.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BassMan

@Jag85 said:

@BassMan: I've now fixed the link. It shows that Square Enix's HD Games division made a profit over the six-month period, including a profit for the first quarter when FF7R released and a loss for the second quarter when Avengers released. When taking the total six-month period into account, it's an overall profit, showing that FF7R more than offset Avengers. And that's only the HD Games division. There's also the MMO, mobile and manga divisions, which were all profitable.

Nobody is talking about the 6 month period. We are talking about the quarterly loss. None of the titles offset the losses during that quarter. A loss is a loss. Too many deflections and goal post moves going on in this thread.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85  Online
@BassMan said:
@Jag85 said:

Nobody is talking about the 6 month period. We are talking about the quarterly loss. None of the titles offset the losses during that quarter. A loss is a loss. Too many deflections and goal post moves going on in this thread.

The post from louixiii that you were originally replying to was talking about the whole of last year, not just a single quarter. If your argument was just over a single quarter, then you clearly missed the point of the post you were replying to. Overall for the first half of the fiscal year, SE's HD division made a profit, not a loss. And even if we're talking about just that quarter, it was only the HD division that made a loss, whereas the company as a whole made a profit during that quarter.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BassMan

@Jag85: I was just staying on point based on the OP article which was about that specific quarter. Then goal posts started getting moved and deflections thrown into the mix. Bottom line, they took a loss that quarter where the successful titles were not enough to offset the losses. However, they are a profitable company overall.