Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

It's called the Solus Project and it looks gorgeous:

Preview #1:

The Solus Project takes place in the not too distant future. The Earth is dying, and humanity now looks towards the stars to save itself. Humanity sends a spacecraft to a new planet, but something happens and the ship crashes. You are the only survivor, and this is where the game begins.

To beat the game, you’ll need to survive and build a communications tower to signal Earth. I began my demo session by exiting the destroyed spacecraft, collecting as much water and food as I could possibly hold. Inventory space is limited so I had leave some stuff behind. I also took the time to look at my PDA, which relayed important information to me. The planet’s temperature, hydration levels, and weather are all important factors when it comes to survival on this planet.

The world contains five islands all interconnected by caves. Each island is like a sandbox, each with plenty of danger. The planet is the main enemy of the game, and you’ll likely die multiple times trying to beat the game. However, checkpoints aren’t super brutal as the game autosaves every time you sleep. The developers want to challenge the players, but don’t want to turn them away due to frustration.

Leaving the wreckage, I realized that a storm was incoming and I needed to find shelter. An objective marker popped up during my playthrough, but the developer told me that it was placed there for the sake of the demo. In the maingame, there will be only a few objective markers throughout the entire game. Finding a key, I was able to enter some caves and escape the oncoming meteor storm, and this is where the demo ended.

Grip Games are hard at working refining features such as crafting. Though crafting was in the demo, its implementation was rather clumsy. Grip Games also has no intention of adding any form of combat to The Solus Project. There will be enemies in the game, but they work more like a puzzle. You won’t be shooting your way out of any scenarios.

Preview #2

Running on Unreal Engine 4, Solus has tons of atmosphere despite an oppressive colour palette. In fairness to the game’s artists, you are on a planet that’s supposed to be completely bleak and inhospitable, and boy does it feel it.

When I awake from the crash, there are parts of my ship scattered amongst dozens of weird rock pillars, and a gun metal sea surges into the shore in the background. It’s raining, and that rain soon turns to sleet as I collect food, water, a flashlight, and tools, then search for shelter. I can only carry so much though, so plenty is left behind.

Meteors burn up overhead or crash into the planet’s surface, and another planet looms far too close overhead. The island I’m on isn’t massive, but I can’t swim anywhere and there is a large structure in its middle that resembles an alien fortress built into a cliff. I can circumnavigate this thing, but there’s little of interest aside from a locked door beyond the body of Yuri, a fellow astronaut who obviously didn’t survive the impact.

I find a large key, open the door, and am finally out of the rain and in a temple whose exacting lines and sparseness remind me of similar structures from the Alien films. There isn’t much in the room I’m currently in, save for the skeletal remains of about half a dozen humans, and a mechanism of some sort that obviously grants me passage deeper into the complex.

I don’t find out what’s behind that door though, as the hypothermia that’s dogged my outdoor wanderings claims my life. It’s all pretty unsettling – you’ll want to play in a rug with a hot drink – but The Solus Project now has my attention.

The Solus Project is coming to Xbox One and PC. Grip Games hopes to release the game on Steam Early Access in the fall. They’re also considering releasing The Solus Project on Xbox Game Preview should Microsoft allow it. No matter what happens, though, the game will never release on PS4. Grip Games has a strong relationship with Microsoft, and are content launching on just Xbox One and PC.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/06/29/the-solus-project-brings-exploration-and-beauty-to-xbox-one-and-pc/156471/

http://www.gameplanet.com.au/xbox-one/previews/g558cdcc637e73/Xbox-hands-on-Superhot-Cuphead-Fable-Legends-The-Solus-Project/

What are your thoughts?

I've randomly encountered this game, the idea seems very cool and now it's on my radar.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

I think I saw and heard a bit about this at the MS E3 conference and have high hopes.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

It's like a survival game right? I don't usually like those.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Solus looks like it could be an interesting game.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Definitely keeping an eye on this one after reading the Gamespot preview. Sci-Fi and space means I gotta check it out. Also very much enjoyed Elite Dangerous ......my jaw dropped when my ship finally went into warp speed.....but because it is in early access, there doesn't seem to be much of a compelling narrative yet so I wonder how Solus will compare if it comes out via early preview as well.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

lol now I know it's not me, this is the second time I post, make a minor edit for grammar and pouf!, my post disappears. This is a new glitch at Gamespot it seems

dan_mimmsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dan_mimmsie
Member since 2014 • 86 Posts

Shame its only on x1 and pc I really enjoyed tower of guns O well leave the ps4 fans out in the cold I guess they don't want my money

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

No Man's Sky wannabe with no combat from the Prague, Czech Republic studio that brought us One Epic Game (66/100), The Impossible Game (64/100), MiniSquadron (57/100 metascore), Atomic Ninjas (58/100 metascore), Tower of Guns (69/100), Foosball 2012 (55/100), 5-IN-1 Arcade Hits, etc.

I'm not even sure this is thread worthy based on Grip Games lower quality 50s/60s output, but hopefully this game turns out okay so I can buy it for my Xbone...

It seems this game will release and be forgotten quickly once people actually play it. Well, at least they have pretty pictures.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I immediately thought of Lifeless Planet but this looks cooler. Thank you for posting!

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

The Forest: Sci fi edition

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

im all in on no mans sky

dat marketing is really just the only game im pickiing up this fall or whatever i can't play like 2-3 of those kinda games

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

Looks interesting

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
@SecretPolice said:

I think I saw and heard a bit about this at the MS E3 conference and have high hopes.

"Czech Republic studio that brought us One Epic Game (66/100), The Impossible Game (64/100), MiniSquadron (57/100 metascore), Atomic Ninjas (58/100 metascore), Tower of Guns (69/100), Foosball 2012 (55/100), 5-IN-1 Arcade Hits, etc."

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

@SecretPolice: LMAO

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:

"Czech Republic studio that brought us One Epic Game (66/100), The Impossible Game (64/100), MiniSquadron (57/100 metascore), Atomic Ninjas (58/100 metascore), Tower of Guns (69/100), Foosball 2012 (55/100), 5-IN-1 Arcade Hits, etc."

Oh snap. I smell an incoming flop.

playharderfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 playharderfool
Member since 2009 • 2085 Posts

"Grip Games also has no intention of adding any form of combat to The Solus Project. There will be enemies in the game, but they work more like a puzzle. You won’t be shooting your way out of any scenarios."

No shooting + xbox platform = FLOP

thankfully they are also releasing on PC so the studio might not go under due to relying on xbox user base for sales.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

doesn't look like the dudebro fanbase on Xbone will enjoy this game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SecretPolice

@quadknight: @lglz1337: @Heil68:

Damn that's a lot of preemptive DC for this fairly unknown title especially when we're just basically saying we want to see & hear more. :o The cow insecurity is indeed sky high these dayzzz and I suppose I can see why, X1's on a roll whilst The Bore is well.... boring. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Looks awful just like No Mans Sky.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Wow the amount of cows rushing out to damage control so fast is mind boggling.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68

@SecretPolice said:

Damn that's a lot of preemptive DC for this fairly unknown title especially when we're just basically saying we want to see & hear more. :o The cow insecurity is indeed sky high these dayzzz and I suppose I can see why, X1's on a roll whilst The Bore is well.... boring. :P

yeah ok, they are a AAA premo dev then :D

Jolly good luck with that m8!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice

@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Taint nobody, nobody saying AAA but keep the DC comin pal. ;)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68

@SecretPolice said:
@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Well its coming to PC also, its a straight out multi plat so no advantage to Xbox m8 ;)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice

@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:
@Heil68 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Well its coming to PC also, its a straight out multi plat so no advantage to Xbox m8 ;)

Pee see shmee cee, best on X1 pal. :P