NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10703 Posts

Something no one seems to be talking about at CES is that Intel finally revealed one of their discrete GPUs to public playing a game. It is one of their laptop GPUs playing Destiny 2. They also had their desktop counterpart playing Warframe. These GPUs aren't for regular consumers though these cards are for software developers to help them develop/optimize software for their GPUs. Intel didn't reveal what settings and framerate the game was running at but a tech channel named Gamers Nexus was able to get a close up look to judge the settings and framerates. Apparently it is running at 1080p low settings 46 fps avg although some youtube commentators saying it could be a couple frames higher since he was going off the TV and not the laptop screen which has a lower input lag.

Intel says not to base the performance of the release products of these GPUs but I'm not sure how much a difference drivers/optimization will make. If these cards are priced appropriately for what they can do that's all that really matters. They're definitely a step up from intel integrated GPUs considering that even the best ones can't play Destiny 2 anywhere near as good as the Xe DG1, I'm talking sub 720p lower than low and 20fps. The Ryzen APUs and mobile will likely eat this GPU alive anyway. If Intel can work their way into the mid range market that would be great since that what the majority of PC gamers will be going for.

First reveal, spokespeople keep talking over each other, kinda annoying

Gamer Nexus videos

This video has Wccftech playing Warframe on it for a bit

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 6931 Posts

On one hand, Intel are very, very late to the market. I wouldn't expect these to go toe-to-toe in performance with NVIDIA's offerings, and even AMD are likely to run rings around them. Intel seem to agree, hence why these initial cards are targeted for GPGPU tasks like data centres and supercomputers.

On the other hand, Intel do have a lot of resources. It all depends on how much they're willing to use them going forward, and what they focus those resources on.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 4613 Posts

It's a piece of shit, that is why no one is talking about it. In general Intel is currently a laughing stock of the industry.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1781 Posts

Dam man, they made there first GPU and its not destroyed nvidia which are masters in this craft straight out of the gate.

They are happy they even got the GPU running to start with. It's not going to compete with anything. It's going to be introduced into the market. It probably takes them a good 5-10 years to push something worthwhile forwards.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9027 Posts

I don't buy junk made in Israel to spy on me

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 287 Posts

>"Something no one seems to be talking about at CES is that Intel finally revealed one of their discrete GPUs"

>"Apparently it is running at 1080p low settings 46 fps avg"

That's why no one's talking about it

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 36585 Posts

I would think it would be obvious but they got to start somewhere. Its their FIRST discrete GPU.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 287 Posts

@Pedro said:

I would think it would be obvious but they got to start somewhere. Its their FIRST discrete GPU.

So? It still sucks. People were expecting more than a descrete version of their garbage Intel HD IGP

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NoodleFighter

@Gatygun: Yeah I wish Intel started 5 years sooner, its gonna be a while for them to catch up to Nvidia and AMD's midrange.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain-
Member since 2014 • 39999 Posts

I'll just copy/paste what I said in PC/Mac/Linux Society forum:

looks okayish but nothing to brag about since this card is having issues running Warframe and Warframe is a 7 year old game. Intel has some serious problems if they're unable to maintain a smooth framerate at only 1080p in such an old game. Needless to say, this is for the lower-class GPU market and hey, I welcome new competitor to the PC market.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3768 Posts

It looks bad but I don't want to bash intel for their first try, i want another GPU maker. The current GPU prices are total garbage and they need to drop and more competition will be good for everyone.

But I'm not sure what Intel has been doing for the last couple years, they made their top end 9900k and haven't been able to break out with anything better while AMD is making CPUs cheaper and better now.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 28449 Posts

@Tessellation said:

I don't buy junk made in Israel to spy on me

Raja Koduri is from India.

https://wccftech.com/intels-raja-koduri-teases-father-of-all-xe-high-performance-gpu/

Raja Koduri is the chief architect over at Intel

Diversity issues with Intel India. LOL

https://twitter.com/Rajaontheedge/status/1202393950771744768/photo/2

https://twitter.com/Rajaontheedge/status/1202393950771744768/photo/1

https://insidehpc.com/2019/12/new-intel-facility-in-hyderabad-to-focus-on-exascale-and-other-breakthrough-technologies/

Over the last 20 years, Intel India has invested significantly in R&D in the country and has been consistently leading in developing the tech ecosystem,” said Nivruti Rai, Country Head of Intel India and VP of Data Center Group, Intel Corporation

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 15543 Posts

As i understand it this is more of a dev kit for the GPU rather than the finished article. Since Intel dont have a current DGpu they need to give devs (both game devs and driver devs) something to test against and work on.

Hopefully this is more of a small taster (i mean the GPU is tiny). it's not due till next year so....

...but yeah not exactly the most glorious reveal.

In saying that: i suspect this whole endeavour is about compute first and any gaming performance will be a happy side effect.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain-
Member since 2014 • 39999 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

It looks bad but I don't want to bash intel for their first try, i want another GPU maker. The current GPU prices are total garbage and they need to drop and more competition will be good for everyone.

But I'm not sure what Intel has been doing for the last couple years, they made their top end 9900k and haven't been able to break out with anything better while AMD is making CPUs cheaper and better now.

I went from i5: 6600K to Ryzen 7: 2700X and never ever look back on Intel CPU ever again. I find AMD Ryzen series to be a much better value for the money and Intel trying to be AMD entering the GPU market isn't something they really should do. But like you said, we need more GPU market competition.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NoodleFighter
@davillain- said:

I'll just copy/paste what I said in PC/Mac/Linux Society forum:

looks okayish but nothing to brag about since this card is having issues running Warframe and Warframe is a 7 year old game. Intel has some serious problems if they're unable to maintain a smooth framerate at only 1080p in such an old game. Needless to say, this is for the lower-class GPU market and hey, I welcome new competitor to the PC market.

To be fair Warframe isn't the same game as it was 7 years ago. The game has gotten graphical and engine upgrades over time. Last month the game got a major engine and rendering change. The game isn't as easy to run anymore. My GTX 1080 use to be able play the Earth titleset and Plains Of Eidolon maps maxed out at 4k 60fps with some dips but now it drops to the 30s all the time soon as things get intense or I run into an area with lots of foliage. Even when using 1440p I still get these drops just that instead dropping to 30 it just drops to the 45-60fps. The intel footage was them playing on the Earth tileset which is the most demanding tileset environment.

@Yams1980 said:

Intel has most likely gotten lazy due to AMD CPU lineup coming up short for over 5 years and just slowed down improvements on each CPU generation since AMD was still falling all over themselves. Now because of that complacency it has allowed AMD to catch up and pull the rug from underneath them.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 3951 Posts

Knowing Intel it will have security exploits and hackers will put compromising pics of you and your cat on the Internet's.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

#17  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 11231 Posts

Wake me when Intel actually has something good to show...

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#18 Star67
Member since 2005 • 4537 Posts

I haven't built a PC since 2011......has AMD finally caught up to Intel in term of CPU performance?

I never thought I'd see the day.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 5822 Posts

@Star67: They are still behind in games, but the gap has narrowed significantly. At higher res they are nearly identical.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Star67

@fedor:

Hmmmm. Maybe it's time to finally update my 9 year old rig haha

What's the best CPU and GPU I can put in an AM3+ mother board?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fedor

@Star67: An FX 9590 and a 2080ti. I wouldn't suggest doing that though. An FX8350 can be OCd to the same clock as the 9590 (I also wouldn't suggest that either). Check out some B450 boards and the Zen 2 (3000 series) lineup. A 3600 would be a massive improvement over the FX series of chips.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Star67

@fedor: that motherboard and CPU would be around $310 together, not bad.

Would there be a mid tier GPU? that 2080ti is out of my budget haha

I'm currently rocking a 6970HD

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fedor

@Star67: Basically any of the current GPU market. AMD navi GPUs (5700 and the 5700xt) probably have the best price/performance in the mid tier atm. It really depends on your budget and what type of performance you're going for.