Insider reports: gap to get even wider as the Gen moves on.

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Originally Posted by thuway

If GAF wants it straight, this is how it is:

At launch, the PS4 has the lead in multiplatform titles. The tools for ES RAM on Xbox One are still incomplete from what is being echoed on the inside track. They are having a tough time fitting things together in time for launch software, so you see these huge resolution differences.

Once the tool chain improves, the resolution barrier will start diminishing-

BUT...

Post launch, when developers start taking advantage of compute on the PS4, despite Xbone's best efforts to get tools to work better, the gap will stay as large or widen. As far as I understand, the gap will always remain significant, but never in the realm of outside portability.

This isn't an "opinion" btw.

I sleep now

Avatar image for battlefieldfan4
battlefieldfan4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By battlefieldfan4
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

Once PS4 gets all the core gamers, devs are gonna start coding based on the PS4's strengths. This will only make the Xbone version worse.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Don't care, I want good PC ports.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

This will indeed be a very entertaining generation.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@clyde46 said:

Don't care, I want good PC ports.

That should be a given now with the insistence on 64bit base support.

up until this point we haven't even had current gen GPU's and CPU's being used effectively in most titles.

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

Expect it to widen alot since PS4 has the best devs

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

For some more than others I think.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ReadingRainbow4

@muffin2020 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

For some more than others I think.

For a multitude of reasons :P

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

At launch, the PS4 has the lead in multiplatform titles. The tools for ES RAM on Xbox One are still incomplete from what is being echoed on the inside track. They are having a tough time fitting things together in time for launch software, so you see these huge resolution differences.

BUT...

Post launch, when developers start taking advantage of compute on the PS4, despite Xbone's best efforts to get tools to work better, the gap will stay as large or widen. As far as I understand, the gap will always remain significant, but never in the realm of outside portability.

I sleep nowSo PS4 is strong, but both systems will improve

So PS4 is more powerful, but both system will improve and the resolution barriers on One titles will get alot better. I can live with that. shrugs. If the PS4 could do all the other things that I value in the Xbox One I'd likely get one sooner rather than later. But just being more powerful doesn't make games great. Devs make games great. If Forza and Ryse are what launch games look like, I'll be served fine as time passes. No one disputes the PS4's power anymore as its common sense. I do dispute that they do not have better games than the Xbox One. That and features matter to me more. One more thing. As much as I rag on Sonygaf, that poster seems like a really good, consistent insider who isn't biased one way or another. I like him.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ReadingRainbow4

@shawn30 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

BUT...

So PS4 is more powerful, but both system will improve and the resolution barriers on One titles will get alot better. I can live with that. shrugs. If the PS4 could do all the other things that I value in the Xbox One I'd likely get one sooner rather than later. But just being more powerful doesn't make games great. Devs make games great. If Forza and Ryse are what launch games look like, I'll be served fine as time passes. No one disputes the PS4's power anymore as its common sense. I do dispute that they do not have better games than the Xbox One. That and features matter to me more. One more thing. As much as I rag on Sonygaf, that poster seems like a really good, consistent insider who isn't biased one way or another. I like him.

I wonder how misterxmedia will take this news. I agree Thuway seems very balanced, being that both the xbone and ps4 are supposedly at 900P each, we have no idea what their individual differences in regard to settings is however.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shawn30

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@shawn30 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

BUT...

I wonder how misterxmedia will take this news. I agree Thuway seems very balanced, being that both the xbone and ps4 are supposedly at 900P each, we have no idea what their individual differences in regard to settings is however.

That mistermedia guy.... he's kinda out there, lol. If he was ever proven right it would be the shit storm of the century, but I'm not holding my breath. Like every gen, if you look at launch day games and then something that comes out a year later, and then a year after that there's always a night and day difference. I have no doubt I'm going to see some amazing looking games on the Xbox One. But I concede that the hardware just won't eclipse the raw power of the PS4. I'm not going top lose any sleep over that as I'll argue all day why I still feel the One is superior. But in terms of pure horsepower today and going forward, the One will graphically be behind the PS4. I just don't think that difference will ever be so great. But time will tell.

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 s0ldier69
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

nice opinion piece.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheEroica
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

So we all think that the console with the "best graphics" is gonna win for the first time since the Snes?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@TheEroica said:

So we all think that the console with the "best graphics" is gonna win for the first time since the Snes?

Considering Sony has the best Developers? maybe? It might not also come down to just power but also Ease of use.

God the Snes was good.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

And this annoying rumor mill continues.I really care little about the power of the PS4 and xbox one.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Once devs start using ESRAM and utilizing the cloud is some way then I recon the gap will close quite a bit, not saying cloud is the ultimate solution but it can at least do something to let the console take on another task. Not to mention Microsoft will be desperate for their teams of developers to get the most of the console asap so they'll be working on all of these as we speak.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@super600 said:

And this annoying rumor mill continues.I really care little about the power of the PS4 and xbox one.

Then have fun with the WiiU.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Can you provide a link to were you got that from at least TC?

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@super600 said:

Can you provide a link to were you got that from at least TC?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=87663571

Straight from the birds mouth.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I dont think the gap will be much if any at all. I dont care though because I wont buy either console for about 3 years or so.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I like this one Lachen smileys

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

I'm just going to throw this in here once again:

ESRAM doesn't "close the cap", it just brings the Xbox One to an acceptable standard level of performance. It's like have a race with multiple cars, and the only way a car is eligible to race is if they perform to a certain standard. The PC and PS4 cars both have their differences, but they hit that standard for sure. The Xbox One's car is causing it to stutter and stop randomly, or run slower than the standard for this race is. All streamlining ESRAM does is make it so that the X1 car can at least RUN at that standard level - The other two are still going to go far faster than it.

Unlike the 'Cloud' and off-setting hardware tasks to an external server for local rendering, Compute is a fully utilizable programmable software system that CAN be utilized right now, its just so entirely new. The PS4 being built with this in mind, and having customisations that are designed to take advantage of Compute, allow it to have this rather large growth ceiling that unfortunately the X1 just can't match.

I can say with first-hand knowledge, it is a gap that will get wider, and soon.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@shawn30 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

BUT...

What others are more important in a gaming system than games? You know you can buy products for your TV for much less money if that is what you are talking about.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

All of this spreadsheet based, word-of-mouth speculation on which console will end up having superior exclusives is pointless at this time.

Really, we're gonna have to wait until E3 2014. That's when we'll have both companies really throwing down with games that have been in development on final hardware/drivers through most of their development.

We'll hopefully see Halo 5 (MS's main heavy hitter), Epic's next game, and whatever the next Santa Monica/Naughty Dog game is for the PS4.

Until then, I'm going to reserve judgement on what each console is "really" capable of.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

From what I understand by reading some posts, Xbone is doomed to sub 1080 because esram can't fit deferred engines and is why Forza which just happens not to be deferred is the only one at 1080p.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shawn30

@LJS9502_basic said:

@shawn30 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

BUT...

What others are more important in a gaming system than games? You know you can buy products for your TV for much less money if that is what you are talking about.

No, you really can't. Smart TV's aren't cheap. Also, the Xbox One just has a host of features that are all in one place. That factors into my purchase as a close second behind the games. 400 and 500 bucks are both alot of money, but we live in the Iphone, Ipad, Samsung Galaxy era of higher priced tech. For my money if one system just has better graphics, but the other has IMHO better games, still very good graphics and a host of features like the Xbox Fitness free for a year, the snapping, eventual windows 8 apps, suspend games, ability to add external hard drive, HD group Skyping, fantasy football, ect all of that matters more to me than a system with more powerful graphics at the start and going forward. Again, its a combination of features I want and am interested in, along with Kinect for my kids and operating the console, that makes the One a far superior system than what I feel is a great graphical upgrade to the PS3 in the PS4. Again, just how I see things. If you're a gamer that just wants to game on the most powerful hardware, by all means get a PS4 or build a PC. But as much as it sounds like a commercial, the One's all in one features make it very attractive to me. Games first, features second. At least for me.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

It wouldn't matter if the PS4 was from the future, the Xbox One is going going to sell a tonne in the US and games for the next 6 or 7 years will all be developed with it in mind. I'm sure they'll get better at optimizing for both platforms over the years just as they have in every other generation but multi-platform games will still look almost identical on both systems.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shawn30

@barrybarryk said:

It wouldn't matter if the PS4 was from the future, the Xbox One is going going to sell a tonne in the US and games for the next 6 or 7 years will all be developed with it in mind. I'm sure they'll get better at optimizing for both platforms over the years just as they have in every other generation but multi-platform games will still look almost identical on both systems.

Hey, rational thought isn't welcome around here, and you didn't call anyone a name, point a link to a unconfirmed rumor, call anyone a shill, or make a outrageous claim. You sure you in the right place (sarcasm) :)

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@shawn30 said:

No, you really can't. Smart TV's aren't cheap. Also, the Xbox One just has a host of features that are all in one place. That factors into my purchase as a close second behind the games. 400 and 500 bucks are both alot of money, but we live in the Iphone, Ipad, Samsung Galaxy era of higher priced tech. For my money if one system just has better graphics, but the other has IMHO better games, still very good graphics and a host of features like the Xbox Fitness free for a year, the snapping, eventual windows 8 apps, suspend games, ability to add external hard drive, HD group Skyping, fantasy football, ect all of that matters more to me than a system with more powerful graphics at the start and going forward. Again, its a combination of features I want and am interested in, along with Kinect for my kids and operating the console, that makes the One a far superior system than what I feel is a great graphical upgrade to the PS3 in the PS4. Again, just how I see things. If you're a gamer that just wants to game on the most powerful hardware, by all means get a PS4 or build a PC. But as much as it sounds like a commercial, the One's all in one features make it very attractive to me. Games first, features second. At least for me.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E420d-A0-42-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00A7MFRHC/ref=br_lf_m_1001046031_1_3_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1625673102&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001046031&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SZN4WSHDM8WADKDHVNA

Come on a 42 inch led 120mhz smart TV from Vizio is $500 or less,hell i have see some 40 1080p in $400+ smart TV are lo price now.

The PS4 doesn't need skype it will have its own app for video,this if we ignore that most PS4 fans don't even care for the camera and are glad sony did not force the camera on them i am 1.

By the way you do know that to use any feature on xbox one you need to pay right.? So as soon as your xbox live subscription if up say good bye to any feature,game recording,skype,HBO go netflix all are behind a pay wall and on PS4 they are not.

So any one who doesn't care about online gaming on PS4 it can use all those features without paying extra on xbox one they can't.

Yeah ther problem is that games is completely subjective,is based on taste so you like Ryse or Forza i don't i like Killzone see so for your the xbox one has better games for me it doesn't.

And i am sure the PS4 will be more than fine feature wise.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

I've been waiting for the king to regain his rightful thrown.

#ThankYouKaz

#DayOnePS4

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

@killzowned24 said:

From what I understand by reading some posts, Xbone is doomed to sub 1080 because esram can't fit deferred engines and is why Forza which just happens not to be deferred is the only one at 1080p.

Like so many things that are correct this post will be ignored.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

This is expected, only lems will deny this. The Xbone is underpowered and will continue to have inferior multiplats throughout the gen.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

I can't wait to see an ND game. It will obliterate anything on X1

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

This is probably a stupid question, but if Xbox One has "bad" tools, why dont they just use "PC tools"?

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shawn30

@tormentos said:

@shawn30 said:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E420d-A0-42-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00A7MFRHC/ref=br_lf_m_1001046031_1_3_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1625673102&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1001046031&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SZN4WSHDM8WADKDHVNA

Come on a 42 inch led 120mhz smart TV from Vizio is $500 or less,hell i have see some 40 1080p in $400+ smart TV are lo price now.

The PS4 doesn't need skype it will have its own app for video,this if we ignore that most PS4 fans don't even care for the camera and are glad sony did not force the camera on them i am 1.

By the way you do know that to use any feature on xbox one you need to pay right.? So as soon as your xbox live subscription if up say good bye to any feature,game recording,skype,HBO go netflix all are behind a pay wall and on PS4 they are not.

So any one who doesn't care about online gaming on PS4 it can use all those features without paying extra on xbox one they can't.

Yeah ther problem is that games is completely subjective,is based on taste so you like Ryse or Forza i don't i like Killzone see so for your the xbox one has better games for me it doesn't.

And i am sure the PS4 will be more than fine feature wise.

I'm guessing you don't get the all-in-one understabnding, do you? Why buy a new Smart TV when I can turn the 52 inch HD 1080p one I already have into one :) As for Skype, its HD and for groups. Also, I want Kinect for the voice/motion controls and knowing it was designed for that purpose. Check this out for a preview of how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aWrjuBo70o

I have never had Xbox without Live and never would cause reallym, without Live why even own a Xbox. And I never said the PS4 would have features. I read about its voice controls minus the camera and it'll have movie streaming, video capture, ect. But it was never designed to do all of those things the way the One does, and for me that matters a great deal. The PS4 will have some nice features, but no way they come close to what the One with Kinect will do. Hey if those features don't matter to you, thats fine. Just don't act like they don't exist or that others don't find them interesting.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

They're talking about the PC tools :/

They don't develop on the actual console, they just test on them. They use special compilers and tools that run on PC to build the Xbox One build (and other consoles)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Both systems will have good looking games. It will be minimal differences if any in multi plats just like last gen. Doesn't really matter anyways, because PC has the best mulit plats most of the time and if it matters to you that much you should just get pc versions of mulit plat games.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ReadingRainbow4

@Heil68 said:

Both systems will have good looking games. It will be minimal differences if any in multi plats just like last gen. Doesn't really matter anyways, because PC has the best mulit plats most of the time and if it matters to you that much you should just get pc versions of mulit plat games.

I already do.

You're being a terrible cow heil, get with the program man!

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

When it comes to consoles it won´t matter if the games are being made with the xbox in mind just like this past gen,even though the PS3 was supposedly more powerful and the gap was supposed to be huge three to four years down the line. Never happened,quite the opposite in fact.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It's funny MS has such a firm grip of the press that not a single one can report the truth. Come on journalists do your job!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

It's funny MS has such a firm grip of the press that not a single one can report the truth. Come on journalists do your job!

ooo yes like sony doesn't? supposedly if your not big like ign, you can't even get your hands on one 2 days before release lol.

also ever game company and movie company does it to

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#43  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

BUT...

I sleep now

And just like when I played No more heroes, SMG, and Twilight Princess last gen, I'll still have fun with the games I want to play. Some of us just don't care dude. There will be fun games on the X1 and we're going to play them.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i would hope the ps4 could produce something better then the x1... that be pretty bad since they have better hardware.

Then HERE comes the cloud! There goes Sony OUT of the hardware field. Playstation app coming to all xboxes

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Heil68

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Heil68 said:

I already do.

I just post the #truth and practice Live, Learn and Love.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Heil68 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Heil68 said:

I already do.

well a certain factions about to "learn," the difference between 720p and 1080p. :P

We'll see where the differences go, seems to be general consensus right now that there's a much larger gap than there was in 360 and ps3.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heil68

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Heil68 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Heil68 said:

I already do.

well a certain factions about to "learn," the difference between 720p and 1080p. :P

We'll see where the differences go, seems to be general consensus right now that there's a much larger gap than there was in 360 and ps3.

I dont like to speculate on rumors. Besides if it were the other way around, I'd still get the PS4 no matter what just to play its exclusives.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ReadingRainbow4

@Heil68 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Heil68 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Heil68 said:

I already do.

I dont like to speculate on rumors. Besides if it were the other way around, I'd still get the PS4 no matter what just to play its exclusives.

But of course, Sony's got dem Devs.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#49 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

@Caseytappy said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I like this one

This generation is showing a real improvement in everything, even in gif :D

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheEroica
Member since 2009 • 22670 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4: it will also come down to features... I firmly believe the casual gamer isn't a 10 year old kid with a ds anymore, but a 10 year old kid with cod and Netflix on his mind. Funny, we fight all gen long about which console is "doing better" but is what the casuals are buying that determines everything in the end...