Inside the Dark Mind of GameSpot’s Danny O’Dwyer

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

On March 28th 2016, Blizzard game director Jeff Kaplan caved in to the demands of a single oversensitive SJW by removing one of Tracer’s victory poses from the soon-to-be-released “Overwatch”. Jeff assured this emotionally-fragile baby that Blizzard were committed to making sure that no one ever felt “uncomfortable” and that all of their games would be as insipid and inoffensive as possible going forward (I’m paraphrasing slightly).

The response from the regressive left in the gaming press and beyond was as predictable as it was pathetic.

A fascinating thing to note about the video game hipster cabal is the way they alternate between demanding that video games be considered “art” and demanding that video games never make anyone feel “uncomfortable”. In fact, every time a developer removes content to appease one of these crybullies, the “games are art” crowd celebrate and insist that it was a business decision. But business decisions aren’t “art”. Do they want “art” or do they want bland committee-approved corporate products? Even they don’t seem to know.

But as inconsistent as their position is, it is at least consistently inconsistent. It’s the same illogical arguments and dumb sound bites every time. Occasionally though, one of these sinister goons will go off-message and accidentally reveal their genuine beliefs to the gaming public. Which brings us to this genius:

This tweet perfectly exemplifies why Danny O’Dwyer is one of GameSpot’s most valued employees. Danny was able to condense all of modern video game criticism into a single 16-word sentence. This level of stupidity would have taken Patrick Klepek or Jed Whitaker an entire article to reach, but Danny was able to achieve it in just one tweet; even with five other handles eating up the available real estate.

Now this tweet can been interpreted in one of two ways. The first is that Danny was suggesting a causal relationship between “the anime arse” and “rape”. The idea being that we can literally trade pixelated posteriors for a reduction of sexual assault. Danny denies that this is what he meant.

The second interpretation is that the trade he was referring to was actually between being a man and being a woman. In other words, women have to worry about being raped but men only have to worry about not having “the anime arse” and that disparity represents a fair trade. This is wrong for three reasons. The first is that, even if we accept this ridiculous premise, it is not a fair trade. I’ve never been raped myself, but I’m going to go ahead and assume that being raped is quite a bit worse than not having “the anime arse”. So if I had to choose, I’d almost certainly choose not being raped. Which brings us to the second problem. I don’t have to choose. No one does. The premise is flawed. There’s no trade to be had. The two things have literally nothing to do with each other.

This is why people’s initial interpretation of Danny’s tweet was not entirely wrong. He obviously believes that there is some kind of link between “anime arse” and rape because he didn’t immediately recognize his proposed “trade” as a false-dichotomy.

I mean, why rape? He could have offered a trade between “the anime arse” and any number of other things that affect women disproportionately. He could have said “Really, not having the anime arse is a fair trade for not getting breast cancer as much.” He didn’t do that because even with his limited intelligence, he understood that that would constitute a non sequitur. Somehow though, invoking rape in a conversation about video games makes perfect sense to him.

The third problem is Danny’s incorrect assertion that this issue is gendered at all.

The great irony of all this is that the original complaint about Tracer’s pose came from a man, the decision to cut it was made by a man, every article endorsing the decision has been written by men and almost all vocal support for the act of censorship has come from men. In fact, this controversy has been entirely manufactured and sustained by a group of creepy guys competing with each other for social justice points. From Rami Ismael to Daniel Floyd, this whole thing has been a circle-jerk of progressive posturing from desperate losers who only feel better about there own psychological deficiencies when they’re treating adult women like helpless, vulnerable children.

Danny O’Dwyer perfectly embodies the values of these pitiful creatures. His tweet was specifically aimed, not at the people who disagreed with him, but at men. Implicit in the exchange was the idea that women are a monolithic group. The very notion that there might be women who disagree with any of his opinions is anathema to his entire world view. He’s going to defend them, whether they like it or not.

The sad truth is that Danny O’Dwyer is just another brainwashed Bay Area Cultist, eagerly suckling the SocJus cool-aid from Anita Sarkeesian’s worn-out teet. To him, “the anime arse” and actual rape are all a part of the same mysterious patriarchal structure that binds the universe. He literally sees removing content from video games as part of the same struggle as the fight against real-world sexual violence.

Danny O’Dwyer’s views are an embarrassment to gaming and an insult to actual rape victims and I’m sure we would all feel more “comfortable” if he would follow Leigh Alexander’s example and leave video games to people who actually care about them.

Because really, not having Danny O’Dwyer is a fair trade for our hobby not being raped as much.

I hope this finally gets me banned. ;)

-

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2  Edited By aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

hmmm I wonder if this will get moderated... But ya everyone is overreacting for the sake of overreacting. I do like Danny though

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

This will get locked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Look. More Drama BS.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

People throw around the word rape so much it has lost it's true meaning.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Strange times we live in.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I kinda stopped reading at "I've never been raped"

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

So tired of people equating this to real assault on a human being. People's priorities are completely messed up.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

blog it

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

And no one ever said a damn thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
deactivated-5a8875b6c648f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a8875b6c648f
Member since 2015 • 954 Posts

Kl fam.

Slashkice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Slashkice
Member since 2007 • 14192 Posts

lol

Jagoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Jagoff
Member since 2016 • 515 Posts

You could have done absolutely nothing and just stare at a wall, and you still would have spent your time more wisely than the time it took you to write this post.

You're making a mountain out of a mountain that was made from a molehill.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#16 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Oh, bloody hell...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak

@jagoff: Your signature is really cool.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

who? :P

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 indzman

@freedomfreak said:

@jagoff: Your signature is really cool.

Yours better :P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By freedomfreak

@indzman: Thanks much, indz

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Slashkice said:

lol

Well, is'nt that pretty much what he did? Was it satire?

Edit: I'm pretty sure that the actual complaint was an act of trolling btw. She's made up of 95% spunk afterall. It's the forum version of Mark Ankucic's Sandy Beaches.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 indzman

@freedomfreak said:

@indzman: Thanks much, indz

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Good observations. Loved how you tried to look at both sides, good stuff mate, makes for good thought and debate.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

The tweet was epic

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Help, I'm being oppressed!

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I am getting sick of the agenda being pushed on my hobby. I'm not a bad guy, sexist, racist, homophobic or any of that. So why do the writers and commentators of my hobby try to make me feel that way? I have my theories but I will bite my tongue. This is after all how I lost my GoldenElementXL account at NeoGaf. I have another now, but that name will remain a secret. :p

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@Gue1: Sarcasm. Some people see it, and chuckle. Some people don't, and waste entire afternoons of their life typing epic overreactions on the internet.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@reduc_ab_: The internet use to be a fun place for satire, but people trying to be so serious and socially just has ruined that. One day we will get it back. One day the internet will regain and grow her freedom. We just have to wait for society to grow up and get over these childish things.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

This type of thread is not appropriate for SW.It's okay to disagree with a GS staff members opinion on a topic, but making his opinion the focus of an entire thread and attacking it on a board like SW is a bit to much. It's most likely not a good idea to create a thread like this on any board on this site.