in-game cutscenes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

some people (mostly in terms of MGS4) seem to think that in-game cutscenes are noticably better technically than gameplay visuals. it's obvious that this is true to some extent, the system doesn't have to do AI,etc. so it's free to make the scene look better, but as far as i can tell there is no game i have seen where the in game cutscenes look noticably better than gameplay visuals.

a few games that i think gameplay and in game cutscenes are visually the same or extremely similar:

metal gear solid 2, 3, gears of war, shadow of the colossus, call of duty 4.

my question is, is it techincally possibly for in game cutscenes to look marginally better than gameplay, simply because the processors of the 360 and ps3 don't have to worry about AI, and etc. and are there any games that show this?

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

i noticed this in MGS4

don't know why though .. like you said, it could be because the console isn't working on AI etc

i noticed it most during close-up scenes so it might also have something to do with the perspective .. since in cut-scenes you're generally seeing the characters up close .. with gameplay, you're further back and the console has to render much more of the background and other details

Yongying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Yongying
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts
FF10 ingame cutscenes, not much as in the scenary but character models were much better than normal gameplay models.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Almost any game "suffers" from this. There are a few games out there that don't, Like half-life, or hell Zelda WW for instance in which you can definitely see the character's expressions that were in the cutscenes appear in the gameplay part as well.

MGS4 just isn't that kind of game. The cutscenes simply support many complex animations. While Snake's character build or any other character is just as impressive in the gameplay department as in the cutscene, there is a reason of why you don't see Snake doing hundreads of expressions during gameplay.

And in all seriousness MGS3 and MGS2 is the exact same thing. Maybe not as noticeable because the animations aren't as good, but it's still there. It's completly normal to expect some kind of upgrade in this area, the game is filled with cinematic touches from beggining to end.

I actually had a talk of sorts about this with a friend years ago when I was playing Kingdom Hearts I think... maybe, I don't know. Which is another example. You can definitely tell the difference in the characters from going to an animation pushed cutscene, to another in which complex animations aren't required. But, like I said, almost any game in the industry does this.

Edited: It's a graphical area that will probably be pushed in the future do to hardware advancement. But for now, developers have to use some tricks up their sleeves.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

Yeah most all games do that. Mass Effect is by far the most noticable. Gigantic difference between cutscene and gameplay.

It's really the best thing to do and not a bad thing at all. Just can't really count cutscenes as gameplay graphics like in the extreme case of Mass Effect. MGS4 is barely different though... I mean it zooms out directly into gameplay with no changes.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StealthSting

Kingdom Hearts Spoilers

The first second for instance is definitely not in game, but after that it's all in game untill 31 seconds into the cutscene. I mean just stop the game at around 16 seconds and look at Sora's face, now put it into 31 seconds and you're supposed to definitely tell a difference. The whole game is filled with these types of graphical sequences and touches.

The whole animation in itself shows a difference, the movement of the eyes is more then enough. The eyes were stiff and devoid of any life by the 16 second; 31 seconds in? They are brimming with life-like animation.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

Speaking on the behalf of MGS4 I can't tell the difference other then camera angles, it's a beautiful site to see the transition from cutscene to gameplay in that game. It's breathtaking.

fluxorator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fluxorator
Member since 2008 • 887 Posts

I think technically (ie, Jaggies, frame rate etc etc) MGS4 looks exactly the same in cutscene and gameplay..

I think its more the cinematic techniques used by kojima (ie, camera angles, lense flare, dust or water dropping on the camera lense etc) that makes it look better...

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
All I have to say on the subject of in-game cutscenes is that they should stay out of RTS games.
fluxorator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fluxorator
Member since 2008 • 887 Posts
Awwww but what about that bit at the begining of Company of Heroes... where they kill the germans in the bunker...
That was a cool cutscene :(
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

All I have to say on the subject of in-game cutscenes is that they should stay out of RTS games.Tylendal

I thought they were fine in WC3.

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts
cutscenes are usually better then in-game for a few reasons. A. The LOD is none existant, you are seeing the geometry at full tilt. There is little A.I or scale to deal with, and being heavily scripted means you can throw what the engine is capiable of.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Speaking on the behalf of MGS4 I can't tell the difference other then camera angles, it's a beautiful site to see the transition from cutscene to gameplay in that game. It's breathtaking.

W1NGMAN-

I wouldn't say breathtaking, but I like how after the long cutscenes, there's no loading screen to tell you when the gameplay is gonna start, so it just transitions right into gameplay and it's a really sweet feeling when you're like "Ah, sweet, I get to play again!"

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 W1NGMAN-
[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

MetroidPrimePwn

I wouldn't say breathtaking, but I like how after the long cutscenes, there's no loading screen to tell you when the gameplay is gonna start, so it just transitions right into gameplay and it's a really sweet feeling when you're like "Ah, sweet, I get to play again!"

Na the first thought that came to mind was "HOOOOOLYYYYYYY CRAP!"

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 beast667
Member since 2005 • 3397 Posts

W1NGMAN-

The load screen takes your breath away?

EDIT: oh nevermind, thats gamplay to cutscene, sorry 'bout that, brain fart :P

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Gears of War cutscenes look noticably better than the gameplay.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 W1NGMAN-
[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

beast667

*Thinks to himself, beast667 has never played the game*

No, there are sections in the game where it goes straight from cutscene to gameplay.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 beast667
[QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

W1NGMAN-

No, there are sections in the game where it goes straight from cutscene to gameplay.

Umm, ok I don't remember where load times are = I haven't played the game? Because I just put that I'm playing it in my sig to be cool :roll:
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Some cutscenes in MGS 4 actually look better then the game while some look like they are done in real time. You can tell the ones that are CGI in MGS 4 because they have more color and look better.(You don't see the green tint) The ones that are done in game have the same regular green tint as the regular game.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 W1NGMAN-

Some cutscenes in MGS 4 actually look better then the game while some look like they are done in real time. You can tell the ones that are CGI in MGS 4 because they have more color and look better.(You don't see the green tint) The ones that are done in game have the same regular green tint as the regular game.

-Renegade

What in the world are you talking about? CGI, in a MGS game? WHaaaaa

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 W1NGMAN-
[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"][QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

beast667

Umm, ok I don't remember where load times are = I haven't played the game? Because I just put that I'm playing it in my sig to be cool :roll:

Wait, so you do know what I'm talking about now? Where the camera swings around during a cutscene then bam, the HUD pops up.

beast667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 beast667
[QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"][QUOTE="beast667"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

W1NGMAN-

Wait, so you do know what I'm talking about now? Where the camera swings around during a cutscene then bam, the HUD pops up.

Yeah, that would happen before you would fight one of the members of the B&B unit, I think. I remember that before you fight the first boss. Thats not really something that seems important, but I guess it's cool.

bearbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bearbones
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

W1NGMAN-

I uttered "What. The. F***"

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts
[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

W1NGMAN-

Is that the first time you've ever encountered such a thing?

I remember seamless transitions in FF VIII.

HardTarget86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HardTarget86
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts

-Renegade

MGS4 doesn't use CGI..for god sakes. They almost look like it because its that dam impressive...AND for the fact that cutscenes CAN look better...and should, for the fact that all is viewed up close.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 W1NGMAN-
[QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"][QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"][QUOTE="W1NGMAN-"]

FrozenLiquid

Is that the first time you've ever encountered such a thing?

I remember seamless transitions in FF VIII.

Yep, first time ever seeing such a thing.

GreyFoXX4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreyFoXX4
Member since 2008 • 3612 Posts
When I first started playing MGS4 and he hops off of the truck I sat there to watch more of the cutscene and then I waited and then I waited and I said damn I have control now lol. It was just that beautiful of a transistion from cut scene to gameplay. Couldn't hardly quit laughing at myself on that one lol.
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
Cutscenes are all scripted, gameplay not so much.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StealthSting

W1NGMAN-

Indeed, the transition from cutscene to gameplay in MGS4 is seamless, because it doesn't manifest much lag in time or any black one second screens for the transition to occur, it immediately happens. That's what's so impressive about it, because the transition from cutscene to gameplay form happens just like that.

That on the other hand has nothing to do with the graphical process in gameplay in all areas. When you see the transition being done you can pretty much notice, that when the game is prepared to enter the gameplay department the character has positioned itself to it's stiff gameplay norm. You don't see Snake doing some push heavy animations when you're actually in control of the character, even if it is just a few seconds after a cutscene. The transition is incredible because it handles both instances perfectly: From cutscene to gameplay and vice versa.

Avatar image for ViolentPressure
ViolentPressure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ViolentPressure
Member since 2005 • 5521 Posts
Pretty much every ingame cutscene is going to have higher quality character models, it would be stupid not to.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts

W1NGMAN-

It really is. I was shocked when I first saw the HUD come up in that game.

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StealthSting

Cutscenes are all scripted, gameplay not so much.EuroMafia

That depends though. If you're talking about the gamer having control of the character, that's definitely true. But gameplay as in everything that has to do with it? MGS4 levels for instance are highly scripted. That's why you see people finishing it under 3 hours in the highest difficulty, because they know every single thing about it: Like the directions they should take and the exact point in time where the enemies are going to show themselves.