In defense of Destiny. Victim of hype and high expectations.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

As someone who walked into a store and picked up the game without having been on the hype wagon or having any developer expectation (never played or cared to play HALO), I can only conclude that the game is getting an extra dosage of shit from the media because of all these things that actually have nothing to do with the product itself.

Is this really fair though? Lets pretend for a second that it came out of nowhere from a newly formed developer no one ever heard of. Would it still get 6/10s and even lower scores? Would it still be target of so much venom from a vocal part of its "community" or fence sitters that just want to pile on? Would the high polish, fine tuned gameplay and fantastic assets still result in a general sense of disappointment?

Yeah I don't think so.

Does it have issues? Sure, the lore is poorly presented and as an entry to a world they intend to build and add stuff for years, they failed to give it any sense of conclusion or coherence. There are also some issues with the loot drop and its limited mission structure.

That said. The art direction is absolutely gorgeous. The music is phenomenal. Customization and gear offer enough depth and variety to encourage exploration and experimentation. Vehicles are fun. It has a healthy amount of gameplay modes that actually impact your progression in the campaign, and more importantly the gameplay is smooth and extremely satisfying. Controls and mechanics offer enough variety and depth that once you quickly master it you will be zipping through maps and air killing enemies or other players intuitively .

This is vanilla Diablo (sans the auction house) all over again. Its a first step into a long term, evolving project and its being accused of not offering the same content as similar social, level-up based games that had years to be built into what they are today.

BE PATIENT PEOPLE! If you were expecting more than an entry title to what they hope is a long lived IP, you should have waited!

Also, hype is poison. Judge it for what it is, not what you imagined or were told to expect it to be

Here, pictures just because...

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

So do we just forget all the hype they mentioned that made the game a must have? Search up Project Tiger look at the bungie video and you'll see they've been hyping its scale and yadda yadda even before the actual game title has been released.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Yeah, I stopped listening to developer talk and hype a long time ago.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Thunderdrone: I am thoroughly enjoying Destiny. I understand the gripes, but games are supposed to be fun first and foremost. Destiny is a lot of fun to me.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thunderdrone

@bldgirsh said:

So do we just forget all the hype they mentioned that made the game a must have? Search up Project Tiger look at the bungie video and you'll see they've been hyping its scale and yadda yadda even before the actual game title has been released.

On the other hand should the score reflect anything other than the quality of the final product?

How important is it to punish them for underdelivering on their promises over giving a fair analysis over what is actually there for people who didn't follow the PR machine.

Why does everyone else have to deal with a lackluster reception and poor indication of quality when its mainly happening because of pre-release stuff geared at Bungie/Destiny followers?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Knowing Activision's marketing team, they can make any shitty game look like a game changer.

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

One reviewer put it like this:

Ideally, we'd like to review the final product. Unfortunately, that means we might never be able to review some games - take for example World of Warcraft - as they are constantly evolving and thus would always be considered a work-in-progress. As such, we frame reviews as snapshots of time; the state of the game at that very moment. Publishing a review is not necessarily our final word. Second reviews may happen.

Now, how much Destiny can change has yet to be seen. A terrible loot system and spongy enemies (perhaps caused by bad loot) forcing you to cheese encounters can certainly be changed though, and maybe there'll be a mission that'll make sense of everything in the narrative and make you go "So that's why were being so freaking vague all this time". Again, yet to be seen though.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

"Victim" is a poor choice of words. The hype was self-inflicted.

"If you were expecting more than an entry title to what they hope is a long lived IP, you should have waited!"

That was certainly not the impression Activision wanted to give to people who made those preorders. Destiny is a poor game, fueled by aggressive marketing aimed precisely at misleading and generating false expectation. It's an anti-consumer move that deserves no defence from the consumers.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

So...we're to blame because Bungie and Activision hyped this game up to high heaven?

OKAY...no. This game is a shining example.. a wake up call..of everything wrong with AAA game making this gen. If this is the road we're headed it is indeed a horrible place we are headed.

I'm going to hug my Wii U extra tight and play some mario kart 8.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@Technoweirdo said:

One reviewer put it like this:

Ideally, we'd like to review the final product. Unfortunately, that means we might never be able to review some games - take for example World of Warcraft - as they are constantly evolving and thus would always be considered a work-in-progress. As such, we frame reviews as snapshots of time; the state of the game at that very moment. Publishing a review is not necessarily our final word. Second reviews may happen.

Now, how much Destiny can change has yet to be seen. A terrible loot system and spongy enemies (perhaps caused by bad loot) forcing you to cheese encounters can certainly be changed though, and maybe there'll be a mission that'll make sense of everything in the narrative and make you go "So that's why were being so freaking vague all this time". Again, yet to be seen though.

Will there be a "charm and personality" patch to make this drab soul less game more interesting? If not there's little they can do to make DESTINY more appealing to people like I.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Thunderdrone said:

@bldgirsh said:

On the other hand should the score reflect anything other than the quality of the final product?

How important is it to punish them for underdelivering on their promises over giving a fair analysis over what is actually there for people who didn't follow the PR machine.

Why does everyone else have to deal with a lackluster reception and poor indication of quality when its mainly happening because of pre-release stuff geared at Bungie/Destiny followers?

hmmm. you both make good points.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

These types of games are a work in progress in a couple of months it will be updated so the review is only a snapshot in time. I usually wait before I buy and watch the boards then decide if I will buy. Right now the game is still beta IMO.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

A souless Activision product.

Bungie wasn't prepared to make a game on four platforms simultaneously.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@Thunderdrone:

You can't hype your game as something that is going to revolutionize gaming and then claim victim status when people greet the actual product you charged them to play with a resounding "Meh."

As for all the claims that it will get there eventually? This isn't an early access beta that is going to release a final and upgraded product eventually given to everyone who got in early. It was a full sixty dollar mega blockbuster that intends to fund any expansion that does take place by asking the player to reinvest by purchasing DLC. Heck there is already a season pass they are selling in order to fund the creation of more content. Saying "The game is just a base that you will eventually be able to throw even more money at in order to build something awesome" Is more of an enlightenment of AAA gaming then a defense of a critical flop that is shallow dumb fun lots of people can relax to when they come home from frustrating jobs.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@Thunderdrone:

I've only played the beta, but I would say the scores are justified from my experience. It was boring. It was a decent looking, decent feeling bore-fest. Hype be damned.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

Too bad its just a total grindfest with hardly any loot in return when reaching a high level

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

Unforgivable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I agree with the flaws pointed towards it but IN NO WAY IN HELL is this a 6/10 game. Kevin VanOrd is highly regarded in this place and I can respect his opinion most of the times but sometimes it seems he likes to be harsh for the sake of being harsh. Resident Evil 6 was a disappointing game but it was not a 4/10 game. It just wasnt a RE but was it a new IP and I'm sure it wouldnt have got a 4. But it did. Why? Because it had RE in the title, nothing more. The same goes for Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge that got a 6/10 when it was a very fun game on its own. I feel like VanOrd gives his scores based on his expectations on the games rather than its merits and accomplishments and thats what happened with Destiny. Gametrailers gave it the deserved score: 8/10. Its gunplay is fantastic and artsyle also. Its has a great co-op component and PvP. thats enough to be regarded as a great game, just not an exceptional one and certaintly not a "fair" one like VanOrd called it

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts
@getyeryayasout said:

I'm really enjoying it, glad I didn't let the lower than expected scores scare me off of it.

I knee-kicked someone out of the air in PVP.

God knows why this shit wouldn't win GOTY..

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

If anyone other than Bungie made this it would probably get lower scores.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#22 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

What's this game about? Never heard of it.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#23  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

F*** that. They are the victim of their onw shady marketing machine. They threw out a ton of huge promises prior to launch and then failed to live up to most of them. The game is a solid, mediocre shooter with terrible/disjointed story and barebones loot/character progression. The grouping system/communication is basically nonexistent, which is a huge negative mark when they were touting this as nearly MMO in scale. Same with the amount of content, any MMO or "shared world" game that launched with this much content in the PC space would have been ridiculed and laughed off into the bargain bin within a month. Bungie doesn't get to eat their cake and have it to. This is the same apologist s*** as the recent article on Kotaku about not giving up on Destiny yet. All of it's problems are of their own making and all of the s*** they need to fix should have been present at launch.

tldr - Activision/Bungie made a bunch of huge promises they couldn't keep and are now reaping the fruits. I have zero sympathy and/or tolerance for crap like this. It has happened too many times with too many games in the last 5 years.

I will say this so it is crystal clear - f*** the bonus they aren't getting because of the bad reviews, f*** their excuses and promises, f*** their shady corporate marketing machine that turned a mediocre shooter into the second coming of Jesus, and f*** their inevitable money grab as they add back content as paid DLC to fix the drought of endgame content.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

They should hand off Destiny 2 to 343i.

That'll save this franchise.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Vatusus said:

I agree with the flaws pointed towards it but IN NO WAY IN HELL is this a 6/10 game. Kevin VanOrd is highly regarded in this place and I can respect his opinion most of the times but sometimes it seems he likes to be harsh for the sake of being harsh. Resident Evil 6 was a disappointing game but it was not a 4/10 game. It just wasnt a RE but was it a new IP and I'm sure it wouldnt have got a 4. But it did. Why? Because it had RE in the title, nothing more. The same goes for Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge that got a 6/10 when it was a very fun game on its own. I feel like VanOrd gives his scores based on his expectations on the games rather than its merits and accomplishments and thats what happened with Destiny. Gametrailers gave it the deserved score: 8/10. Its gunplay is fantastic and artsyle also. Its has a great co-op component and PvP. thats enough to be regarded as a great game, just not an exceptional one and certaintly not a "fair" one like VanOrd called it

I don't agree at all, I think a 6/10 is the perfect score for this game. This game only has good gunplay and pretty visuals, everything else is below average. All of the mission design is TERRIBLE, the RPG elements are very underwhelming, the loot is unexciting because all the weapons are very similar, the PvP is very standard and has almost nothing unique about it, etc.

I think we have higher expectations for a developer who has been making shooters for over a decade at this point. They did their own game a disservice by lying and misleading their fan base.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#26 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The issue is even the developers themselves were acting like the game is the second coming of Christ. They only have themselves to blame.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

My hype and expectation were in check, Halo's campaigns have disappointed me plenty in one life time.

The design decisions just lead to a boring ass loot grind mate. I don't find that fun. I don't find that engaging. I certainly don't find that deep, nuanced, or interesting. It's a dull, tedious experience that doesn't ask you to master any complex systems (sans a Raid), but more so asks you to just dump a bunch of hours into it. I'm good without that.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

From Bungie's 5 September, 2014 Weekly Update:

What’s the Score?

The release of a new game is often marked by sacred rituals. Players stand in line at midnight to be the first to play. Managers wonder why their staff suddenly becomes violently ill. Industry experts dig in deeply and write their reviews and recommendations.

Typically, games receive their report cards before they become available to the public. We don’t believe Destiny is a typical shooter. You could experience the storyline, jump into a few rounds of competitive multiplayer, and form a Fireteam of friends and take on all the Strikes and you would just be getting started. Those activities are critical components of Destiny, but they are also a foundation for so much more.

After thousands of internal playtests, an internal Alpha, and a public Beta, we’ve also learned that Destiny isn’t Destiny without the most crucial component to our living, social world: You.

From the beginning, we set out to make Destiny feel like more than bits on a drive. We wanted to build a place for players to visit – a place filled with luminous life. Without a vibrant population for the last safe city on Earth, and Guardians roaming the wild frontiers, Destiny is a shadow of what it should be. That’s not how we wanted to submit for review.

We explored several options to populate the world for reviewers. Our team estimates it would take thousands of gamers to ensure each potential public space in Destiny would be populated – that every activity would be accessible at all hours of the day and night. Where on Earth would we be able to find thousands of gamers?

The answer, again, is you.

So, reviews of Destiny will wait for your arrival. On day one, you’ll be rubbing elbows with the pageant judges, so look sharp. Who knows, you may end up on one of their live streams. They may end up on one of yours, too!

For us, this is a first – a new experience. It’s a bit of a risk, too. We fully anticipate seeing day one reviews from folks who decide to kick the tires, but don’t have the time or patience to take our ride for a nice, long road trip. Some of you might wait to pick up a copy until you read the final verdict from your most trusted review house. We’re okay with that. We’ve created something we’re proud of.

We hope you love it as much as we do.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Honestly I think Destiny lived up to the hype, at least I see people talking more about it after launch than Titanfall.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

@SerOlmy said:

F*** that. They are the victim of their onw shady marketing machine. They threw out a ton of huge promises prior to launch and then failed to live up to most of them. The game is a solid, mediocre shooter with terrible/disjointed story and barebones loot/character progression. The grouping system/communication is basically nonexistent, which is a huge negative mark when they were touting this as nearly MMO in scale. Same with the amount of content, any MMO or "shared world" game that launched with this much content in the PC space would have been ridiculed and laughed off into the bargain bin within a month. Bungie doesn't get to eat their cake and have it to. This is the same apologist s*** as the recent article on Kotaku about not giving up on Destiny yet. All of it's problems are of their own making and all of the s*** they need to fix should have been present at launch.

I have a problem with nearly everything you said there.

First and foremost, the gameplay in Destiny is some of the best. Ever. Even by Bungie's standards and even when compared to their previous offerings: it is fantastic.

For a game like Destiny I compare it to Borderlands 2 which, in my mind, is how a loot based FPS RPG should be handled -- hell the game is built around replaying the story three different times doing the exact same thing three times in order to achieve the highest point and then to Overpower your character in order to do all over again!
Destiny does lack on the difference front, in the way everything feels and how all three classes are too similar (Gunzerker, Siren, Commando and Assassin in Borderlands 2 are all vastly different classes -- and that's without even mentioning the Mechromancer and Psycho)

Halo always sucked me in with it's omnipresent lore and Destiny doesn't come close on that front, I was expecting a Mass Effect-esque epic but, from what I've experienced, it is almost like Bungie purposefully held back on the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Destiny is the victim of Activisions hype machine indeed. I am unsure how much pre release Hype came from Bungie, and how much from Activision, but claiming that they are victim of hype is ironically true, since the publisherdrove the hype train for this one.

It would likely have scored atleast a bit better had it not made the kid of promises and pre release impressions they tryied to make. The Beta had alot of people worried about the game, and we know why now.

So the Industry is to blame.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

It definitely suffers due to high expectations. Some of the complaints aren't even reasonable. Complaining about the end game after 15 hour campaign isn't really fair when you consider the fact that there are games out there that feature 4-5 hour campaigns with no real end game other than replaying the game from start to finish.

Obviously Bungie promised big, but I don't fault them for that. It's a business. If they don't make their game sound like the best thing since sliced bread, then they aren't really doing their job. They set sales records. I'm sure they aren't too disappointed.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere

@kingsfan_0333 said:

It definitely suffers due to high expectations. Some of the complaints aren't even reasonable. Complaining about the end game after 15 hour campaign isn't really fair when you consider the fact that there are games out there that feature 4-5 hour campaigns with no real end game other than replaying the game from start to finish.

Destiny doesn't really have an end game. I don't consider grinding the same exact content on harder difficulties to be something worth praising. I would much rather play a game like Uncharted 2 or Max Payne 3 three times back to back instead of slogging through the repetitive campaign in Destiny.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingsfan_0333

@JangoWuzHere said:

@kingsfan_0333 said:

Destiny doesn't really have an end game. I don't consider grinding the same exact content on harder difficulties to be something worth praising. I would much rather play a game like Uncharted 2 or Max Payne 3 three times back to back instead of slogging through the repetitive campaign in Destiny.

Well..there is a raid that is being released shortly, and more will follow, and other new things being introduced into the game in the coming months. Not many games offer additional missions for free after release. Bungie's history suggests that this game will be supported for quite a while. Many, many other games offer far less.

As for Uncharted 2/Max Payne 3 - that's your opinion and it's a fair one. I enjoyed both games, but traded them in after my first play through and 5-10 hours of multiplayer. I'd also argue that being able to play Destiny coop with different friends changes the experience a tad each time it's played. Further, I'd argue that the ability to go through the game with 3 different characters also changes the experience beyond what you would experience in either of the games you mentioned. PERSONALLY I feel like leveling up the challenge by 4-5 levels in Destiny missions has FAR more replay value, but that's my opinion. Also, I'll keep my personal opinion out of this part, but I believe time will tell that Destiny's PVP will survive far longer than it did for Max Payne or Uncharted.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

It's a good game. People were expecting revolutionary amazing second coming status. Instead all they got was a good game, and bitched about it.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Destiny is good, but it is disappointing. They need to fix some shit and a lot of it I assume are small easy fixes. Add matchmaking to all modes, add group/proximity chat, have bosses drop loot when they die, fix the drops so it doesn't take 50 hours to get an imba drop for your class.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JangoWuzHere

@kingsfan_0333 said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

@kingsfan_0333 said:

Well..there is a raid that is being released shortly, and more will follow, and other new things being introduced into the game in the coming months. Not many games offer additional missions for free after release. Bungie's history suggests that this game will be supported for quite a while. Many, many other games offer far less.

As for Uncharted 2/Max Payne 3 - that's your opinion and it's a fair one. I enjoyed both games, but traded them in after my first play through and 5-10 hours of multiplayer. I'd also argue that being able to play Destiny coop with different friends changes the experience a tad each time it's played. Further, I'd argue that the ability to go through the game with 3 different characters also changes the experience beyond what you would experience in either of the games you mentioned. PERSONALLY I feel like leveling up the challenge by 4-5 levels in Destiny missions has FAR more replay value, but that's my opinion. Also, I'll keep my personal opinion out of this part, but I believe time will tell that Destiny's PVP will survive far longer than it did for Max Payne or Uncharted.

The raid is out for Destiny, and you need to be level 26 to actually take on the challenge. I reached Level 20 and I don't want to grind for 12+ hours to reach 26 just to play it.

The co-op in this game isn't very exciting. It's nice to be able to talk to someone as you play these repetitive missions and that's basically it. If I wanna play a more exciting co-op game, I would play Halo or Resident Evil. Destiny is far more boring if you end up playing alone. Also, none of the daily heroics or story missions have matchmaking, that's very stupid.

There are 3 different classes, but all them play very similar to each other. You can replay Destiny as a Hunter instead of a Warlock, but the experience will not change at all. There is very little strategy or use of tactics in the strikes and campaign. I personally think this is one of the most mindless shooters to be released in years.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Excuse train...the game is crap.. OK it has some nice looking scenery. That does not make a good game. People seem to be using the term good to mean barely acceptable.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2600 Posts

Five million First Person Shooters later, people are just now finally opening their eyes. This is on you. All those years of playing on FPStation 3 and FPSbox 360 lead to this debacle. Only a matter of time before they sold you another generic shooter that 25 percent done and DLC up the ass for full price. Congratulations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

I imagine this game will get a re-review in 6-12 months time and end up scoring a 8-9.

Seems to suffer from something similar to Sims 4 but on a smaller scale...

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

As someone who walked into a store and picked up the game without having been on the hype wagon or having any developer expectation (never played or cared to play HALO), I can only conclude that the game is getting an extra dosage of shit from the media because of all these things that actually have nothing to do with the product itself.

(never played or cared to play HALO)

that's explains it all right there....completely nullifies this sympathy post.

the only people who are love'n Destiny are people that have no real experience with Halo. Destiny is just Halo without the soul, substance, and lure Halo has...a shallow game. Destiny is literally a halfass game with Halo's fun gameplay tacked on.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

Knowing Activision's marketing team, they can make any shitty game look like a game changer.

i agree with this, they are the most successful publisher imo

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Thunderdrone

@tymeservesfate said:

the only people who are love'n Destiny are people that have no real experience with Halo. Destiny is just Halo without the soul, substance, and lure Halo has...a shallow game. Destiny is literally a halfass game with Halo's fun gameplay tacked on.

Actually, I played a bit of the first two Halos on PC years ago. And NO, its nothing like Halo. Not the structure, the genre or the gameplay dynamic. Destiny is a level/loot progression based shooter designed to have players replay the same areas over and over while slowly crawling towards the continuously moving goal-posts that is the endgame. Its Diablo with guns and at the heart of the game is the co-operative "grind" like gameplay. And like Diablo III, its meant for people who actually find the never ending runs of the same areas and modes fun.

See, the words "grind" and "repetitiveness" are totally valid complaints to have with Destiny, just remember that if you are enjoying yourself, its neither a grind or a chore to do it over and over. And since the DNA of these types of games reside on this basic structure, being extra hard on it for belonging to a certain sub-genre is, quite honestly, f&%$# stupid.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Shallow game is shallow.

Just another piece of soulless eye candy.

/thread

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kingsfan_0333

@JangoWuzHere

It's certainly a polarizing game. While you don't seem to care for it or the end game raids, obviously there are lots of people who do because there were a ton of people competing to be the first to beat the first one, and it got media attention.

You don't have a problem going back and playing Max Payne 3 and being the EXACT same character, and in an extremely linear fashion, but the differences between the classes in Destiny aren't enough for you? Interesting.

Not sure what you were expecting as far as coop. Personally I feel as though the call for coop in Destiny is far greater than it ever was in Halo, especially once you get over your head in terms of level of difficulty. I think having multiple classes in one session suits the coop just fine, and although I'm nowhere near attempting a raid, they sound very demanding in terms of coop. You mentioned that there is no sense of "tactics"...but that's what you make of it. You didn't need to use tactics to beat Halo coop either. My team and I planned everything out and used many tactics to take out the strikes. I learned from the beta that you could spend an hour or two trying to beat Devil's Lair just by shooting bad guys, or you could work as a team and get it done faster.

I agree that nobody should play this game alone. Bungie even agrees with that. They set out to make a social game. I don't know that they are going to fully achieve what they set out to, but I also don't think there is another experience quite like it on consoles.

Anyways, the last thing I'm trying to do is convince you that you actually like this game lol. I like it, you don't. It's pretty simple. Here's to a 2014/2015 that has plenty of games for both us.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Can't believe people still don't know the difference between hype and marketing.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

Is this really fair though? Lets pretend for a second that it came out of nowhere from a newly formed developer no one ever heard of. Would it still get 6/10s and even lower scores? Would it still be target of so much venom from a vocal part of its "community" or fence sitters that just want to pile on? Would the high polish, fine tuned gameplay and fantastic assets still result in a general sense of disappointment?

Yeah I don't think so.

Does it have issues? Sure, the lore is poorly presented and as an entry to a world they intend to build and add stuff for years, they failed to give it any sense of conclusion or coherence. There are also some issues with the loot drop and its limited mission structure.

That said. The art direction is absolutely gorgeous. The music is phenomenal. Customization and gear offer enough depth and variety to encourage exploration and experimentation. Vehicles are fun. It has a healthy amount of gameplay modes that actually impact your progression in the campaign, and more importantly the gameplay is smooth and extremely satisfying. Controls and mechanics offer enough variety and depth that once you quickly master it you will be zipping through maps and air killing enemies or other players intuitively .

This is vanilla Diablo (sans the auction house) all over again. Its a first step into a long term, evolving project and its being accused of not offering the same content as similar social, level-up based games that had years to be built into what they are today.

BE PATIENT PEOPLE! If you were expecting more than an entry title to what they hope is a long lived IP, you should have waited!

Also, hype is poison. Judge it for what it is, not what you imagined or were told to expect it to be

Here, pictures just because...

The problem is the publisher Activision is the one responsible for the hype. They created they hype. They lied and tried to sell us something that was never what they said it was.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@Thunderdrone said:

@tymeservesfate said:

Actually, I played a bit of the first two Halos on PC years ago. And NO, its nothing like Halo. Not the structure, the genre or the gameplay dynamic. Destiny is a level/loot progression based shooter designed to have players replay the same areas over and over while slowly crawling towards the continuously moving goal-posts that is the endgame. Its Diablo with guns and at the heart of the game is the co-operative "grind" like gameplay. And like Diablo III, its meant for people who actually find the never ending runs of the same areas and modes fun.

See, the words "grind" and "repetitiveness" are totally valid complaints to have with Destiny, just remember that if you are enjoying yourself, its neither a grind or a chore to do it over and over. And since the DNA of these types of games reside on this basic structure, being extra hard on it for belonging to a certain sub-genre is, quite honestly, f&%$# stupid.

i've always enjoyed playing Halo. the only FPS i still enjoy playing actually...except i enjoyed the story, lure, other features the games had in tow too. Destiny just has the gameplay. i also don't like that you can't pick up and use enemy weapons in Destiny. being able too mix and match their weapons on the fly. yes, i get the whole loot thing, and finding these great weapons...but still not a fan of that option being gone.

also....

@Thunderdrone said:

"(never played or cared to play HALO)"

-

"Actually, I played a bit of the first two Halos on PC years ago."

which is it?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Long time no see. How you been, Thunder?

Hype is an integral part of mainstream gaming these days. Developers and publishers can't avoid exploiting it (through massive advertising campaigns that get people to pay for their games 8-12 months in advance), and gamers can't help falling for it (thinking these games are going to be the best thing ever, when they really are just okay).

This new generation is going to be a defining moment in the history of console gaming. And probably not the one people might expect. I believe this will be the point where console gaming loses its healthy market share like handheld gaming did to mobile. Win/Mac gaming is on a strong upward climb, while console revenues are slowly dropping (even amongst mega hits like Watch Dogs and Destiny).

Gamers are going to learn after being burned a couple times that they shouldn't believe the marketing campaigns and will not only wait to buy the game, but might even pass on it entirely until well after the window where console games make all their money (within the first couple months).

Personally, I've been adverse to the whole "make console gaming just like PC, only worse!" attitude Sony and MS have been pushing, and really hope they don't ruin console gaming to the point where it cannot recover from the loss (unless that forces Nintendo to make games on PC of course, with their own line of peripherals, that would be just dandy).