In Defence Of SHORT GAMES

This topic is locked from further discussion.

L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 L_G_X
Member since 2007 • 542 Posts

Now i see all thistalk about cod4 being only a couple of hours long and same with heavenly sword and uncharted. well i ask you this ; if a game has you wanting MORE, hasnt it fulfilled its purpose as a good videogame?

Would you rather spend 10 minutes with Jessica Alba or 10 years with Jade Goody?

THE END

i-lick-monkeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 i-lick-monkeys
Member since 2007 • 2971 Posts
long games get boring...
Out_Kast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Out_Kast3000
Member since 2007 • 358 Posts

It's not just about length. It's what's in that length.

Also,Why do you guys think God of War is so critically acclaimed? It was a great game, even though it was somewhat short, but it had tons of extras and unclockables to keep you playing it.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

Now i see all thistalk about cod4 being only a couple of hours long and same with heavenly sword and uncharted. well i ask you this ; if a game has you wanting MORE, hasnt it fulfilled its purpose as a good videogame?

L_G_X

A good game should have you wanting more AND not feeling like you've just been ripped off.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

$60 short games with no multiplayer are a rip off.

/thread

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Depends on the game but on a game like COD4 it doesn't matter because of online and Uncharted for replayability. I expect a game like Zelda or Mario to be more than 10hrs long.
L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 L_G_X

/thread

Why do people keep saying /thread it doesnt make you look smart or cool?

JiveT
Fignewton50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fignewton50
Member since 2003 • 3748 Posts

Of course you want to be left wanting more, but you also want to feel like you got enough gameplay for your money. A game that's over before you know it is aggrivating and you're left demanding more, not wanting it.

L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 L_G_X
Oh and the /thread thing only works if no one else replies so sorry sonic picture person you fail.
Broman6015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Broman6015
Member since 2007 • 1381 Posts

Oh and the /thread thing only works if no one else replies so sorry sonic picture person you fail.L_G_X

lmao at "sonic picture person"

L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 L_G_X
Err but it didnt work soooo....?
soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts
It's actually the new wave of ADD multi-player only gamers which are killing SP so blame them.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zeliard9

It's not just about length. It's what's in that length.

Also,Why do you guys think God of War is so critically acclaimed? It was a great game, even though it was somewhat short, but it had tons of extras and unclockables to keep you playing it.

Out_Kast3000

I thought GoW2 was much better than the first, mainly because it was a longer game. GoW2 also had New Game +, which EVERY SINGLE GAME OUT THERE SHOULD HAVE.

That feature alone increases replay value IMMENSELY. And it doesn't just work with RPGs. It could work with almost anything.

Kid-Icarus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kid-Icarus-
Member since 2006 • 733 Posts

Why do people keep saying /thread it doesnt make you look smart or cool?

L_G_X

Agreed. Its like the internet version of "end of" ... Which if you've ever lived in the UK, you will know is one of the most irritating phrases known to man, said only by the types of imbeciles you would find on Big Brother and the like.
tman93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 tman93
Member since 2006 • 7769 Posts

I don't care if a game is short honestly. It could be 5 hours long, and as long as its an amazing game, id like it the same as anygame.

If it came to it, id rather have a 4-8 hour game that has a very amazing experiance then a 25-40 hour game that has a somewhat adverage experiance, and gets boring after awhile.

SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#17 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
long games get boring...i-lick-monkeys
I have over48 hours on Twilight Princess (the first time) and i never get bored :)
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

well i ask you this ; if a game has you wanting MORE, hasnt it fulfilled its purpose as a good videogame?

THE END

L_G_X

Agreed I guess that it would've been okay if Half-Life 2 was only 1 hour long and that Street Fighter III only had a roster of 4 playable characters.

Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts

Would you rather spend 10 minutes with Jessica Alba or 10 years with Jade Goody?

THE END

L_G_X
A good game would leave me feeling satisfied.
Anoch20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Anoch20
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
In general the best part a game can shine is single player, you can offer more cinamatic elements and it's more movie like, comapred to online. I for one no longer have that much time to be playing games online so, I'm kinda more intereted in games with either long single player or very fun single player with a good story. I think Uncharteds story and overall presentation offers something that most games these days skip just so they can offer you online.
sexy_chimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sexy_chimp
Member since 2007 • 6457 Posts
Wanting more at the end of a video game is a bad thing...That means you'll have to wait 3 years (Or 1 if it's Insomniac) and pay 60 dollars for the sequal.
Kid-Icarus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kid-Icarus-
A good game is a good game. Whether it's short or long. No one argues that a book has to be long to be good, or a film, or an album. You pay the same price to go see a 90 minute comedy at the cinema as you do to see Lord of the Rings ... And a really good 90 minute comedy can be just as enjoyable. So why should it be any different for games?
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zeliard9

A good game is a good game. Whether it's short or long. No one argues that a book has to be long to be good, or a film, or an album. You pay the same price to go see a 90 minute comedy at the cinema as you do to see Lord of the Rings ... And a really good 90 minute comedy can be just as enjoyable. So why should it be any different for games?Kid-Icarus-

Because gaming is interactive. Watching movies is not.

Kid-Icarus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kid-Icarus-

[QUOTE="Kid-Icarus-"]A good game is a good game. Whether it's short or long. No one argues that a book has to be long to be good, or a film, or an album. You pay the same price to go see a 90 minute comedy at the cinema as you do to see Lord of the Rings ... And a really good 90 minute comedy can be just as enjoyable. So why should it be any different for games?Zeliard9

And how exactly does that have any relevance on the conversation? It doesn't negate my argument in any way, It is still exactly the same principle. Whether it is an interactive medium or not is a totally unrelated issue.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Then why on earth are you a Mass Effect fan? :P

Hat_Damage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Hat_Damage
Member since 2007 • 1004 Posts
Short games are fine, they need replay value though. Im not going to spend $60 on a game that I may opnly play for 5 hours and then never pick it up for a couple years
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
if a game is under 10 hours and doesn't have multiplayer its a ripoff. cod4 and halo 3 have online so they're not a ripoff. they have many, many hours of replayibility. games like heavenly sword and uncharted have no multiplayer and are under 10 hours so are a ripoff. /thread.
L_G_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 L_G_X
go /thread yourself.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zeliard9
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="Kid-Icarus-"]A good game is a good game. Whether it's short or long. No one argues that a book has to be long to be good, or a film, or an album. You pay the same price to go see a 90 minute comedy at the cinema as you do to see Lord of the Rings ... And a really good 90 minute comedy can be just as enjoyable. So why should it be any different for games?Kid-Icarus-

And how exactly does that have any relevance on the conversation? It doesn't negate my argument in any way, It is still exactly the same principle. Whether it is an interactive medium or not is a totally unrelated issue.

It's completely relevant. If it's interactive then you're a part of it in some way. You dictate the tempo. At a movie theater, you can't do that. You can only sit back and watch, and you can only sit back and watch for so long when you can't interact with it. That's why nearly every movie out there is in the 90-150 minute range.

Gaming is a whole different ballgame. You don't just sit back and watch, you're a direct part of it. Since you're interacting, length becomes critical, because you're no longer a simple observer and directly involved in the medium itself, and the game doesn't move forward unless you want it to. They're entirely incomparable.

Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

Says the guy with the Mass Effect sig. :|

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts
There is no defense for a short game. A good short game could be a great game if longer.
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
PDZ was short but i could replay it over and over again b/c it wouldn't take a lot of time to complete a mission.
nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts
the thing is i dont want to pay 50 or 60 bucks on a gamethat will last me 6 or 7 hours. im fine with short games, as long as im renting it.
Avatar image for RKfromDownunder
RKfromDownunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RKfromDownunder
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

THE END

L_G_X

No. It hasnt fulfilled its purpose. If you pay 60 US bucks for a new game ( I think thats the approximate conversion, silly American money) and get 10 hours game play out of it then, well, its not worth the money. If you pay 60 bucks and get 10 hours gameplay + the ability to suck 200+ hrs of online multiplayer out of it then you got a decent deal.

Games like ass-creed which give you 12 hrs gameplay and weak replayability, no multiplayer (obviously), are a weak deal for a consumer.

People whining about COD4 are fools. A couple of hours long? So what. Its got HUNDREDS of hours of multiplayer gameplay in it.

Ohhhhhhhhhh. So you... uh... Dont LIKE online multiplayer? Ummm... Well... Then why the HELL did you buy the game? Thats what the game was designed for? Its the same everywhere. People get dissapointed because they buy games that don't suit their purposes. Well. Pay attention to the demographic that the game was aimed for. Halo 3 was designed to um... 'Finish the Fight'... But it was designed more to satisfy the online cravings of Halo 2 fans... So what if the story was weaksauce... It achieved its aims.

Defense for short games? There is no defense for short games. A game with high replay value is not a 'short' game. A game with great multiplayer value is not short.

Avatar image for RKfromDownunder
RKfromDownunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RKfromDownunder
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

if a game is under 10 hours and doesn't have multiplayer its a ripoff. cod4 and halo 3 have online so they're not a ripoff. they have many, many hours of replayibility. games like heavenly sword and uncharted have no multiplayer and are under 10 hours so are a ripoff. /thread.shoeman12

Exactly.

There is a trend amongst actioneque games to make a 10-12 hour flick that may or may not replay as well as it should. Weaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak.

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts
I don't really care about game length. I had as much fun with GOW(10 hours) as I had with Zelda:TP(60 hours) so it depends on how well the game executes its length. F.ex uncharted would be boring if it played 30 hours but mass effect seems to easily be handling 60. it depends...
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

Oh and the /thread thing only works if no one else replies so sorry sonic picture person you fail.L_G_X

Quiet. Ingnorance is bliss, and we wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.

dipper145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dipper145
Member since 2007 • 1425 Posts

/thread

JiveT
QFT
nippon_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nippon_gamer
Member since 2005 • 928 Posts

my calculations:

DVD= $12 and have about 3 hrs of good content.

Games= $60 and SHOULD have about 15 hrs of good content.

mattyomo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mattyomo99
Member since 2005 • 3915 Posts
heavenly sword is one of my fav games this gen.... it is just amazing