nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41528 Posts

Source: Super Data Research (via GoNintendo)

Digital games closed out 2020 with $12.0B in December, which was a 15% growth from the prior year and the highest monthly revenue total ever. Mobile earnings were up 5% year-over-year and console earnings grew 16%. PC games revenue, however, jumped 40% largely thanks to the release of Cyberpunk 2077.

Cyberpunk 2077 had the biggest game launch of all time based on digital revenue and digital units sold (10.2M)*. A successful marketing campaign and the reputation of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt provided the hype necessary for the CD Projekt Red title to break records despite issues including performance problems on consoles, widespread glitches and the indefinite removal of the game from the PlayStation Store. An extremely high share of digital sales (80%) were on PC, likely due to the delisting on PlayStation and overall state of the console versions. Regardless of the short-term financial success, the critical backlash means the developer will now have to invest significant resources fixing the game in order to rehabilitate its image before the launch of its next title.

On PC and console, Fortnite earnings were at their highest since August 2020, and player numbers were larger than at any point since August 2019. High-profile events and collaborations continue to draw people to the shooter. December began with a limited-time Marvel Comics event that brought in a record 15.3M concurrent players. This was followed by the release of cosmetic items from franchises including Star Wars, Halo and The Walking Dead.

The release of the Cayo Perico Heist for Grand Theft Auto V resulted in the game’s highest monthly digital earnings ever. The update for the multiplayer Grand Theft Auto Online mode marked the first time the seven-year-old game received a new open-world area for players to explore. Player numbers also grew 46% from November levels but did not exceed totals achieved earlier in 2020.

Among Us player numbers fell from their November peak, but the game was still 2.8 times as popular as the next most-popular game, Roblox. The title also launched on Nintendo Switch in December. This edition sold 3.2M copies and was the highest-earning version of the game for the month.

Damn! Nice sales for Among Us there.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69449 Posts

Great news for the devs.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

switch is the definitive version. portable anywhere you go and also the couch home console experience. graphics same as PC. better controls than mouse and keyboard for this game.

switch also has usb ports for plug and play keyboards for typing.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

switch is the definitive version. portable anywhere you go and also the couch home console experience. graphics same as PC. better controls than mouse and keyboard for this game.

switch also has usb ports for plug and play keyboards for typing.

Amen bro good to see ya back bro. Nintendo is killing it.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

For anyone that has friends with a Switch getting a few of them together in real time for Among us is AMAZING.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Shit game made relevant by millionaire streamers.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Isn't this free for mobile users?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@mojito1988 said:

For anyone that has friends with a Switch getting a few of them together in real time for Among us is AMAZING.

Just in general it's an awesome game with friends. Completely different game when playing with randos, kinda sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Shit game made relevant by millionaire streamers.

Yeah and celebrities and non-gamers are playing it too its really messed up man. It's like those real life games where one guys the virus and everyones else is regular person and the virus guy tries to take over.

Its pretty dumb that idea has been around forever.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@mojito1988 said:

Just in general it's an awesome game with friends. Completely different game when playing with randos, kinda sucks.

Yes for sure. I am very lucky cause my family and friends are all very close so we get together every Sunday and last week we all brought our Switches over to my Sisters house and played Among us all in the same room. It was absolutely incredible calling each other out in person. The Switch is the ultimate local game system.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I tried the game on mobile and didn't find it fun but nevertheless congrats to the indie devs behind it on their newfound success.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@mojito1988 said:

Yes for sure. I am very lucky cause my family and friends are all very close so we get together every Sunday and last week we all brought our Switches over to my Sisters house and played Among us all in the same room. It was absolutely incredible calling each other out in person. The Switch is the ultimate local game system.

Ah right, yeah that would be fun.

I was just playing with a bunch of old SW gang when I was on it. Some on mobile, some on PC, just using Discord voice chat. Was a damn good time.

But yeah, nothing beats local mp for some games.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

As a secondary system, I have been strongly considering a Switch. The only two reasons I haven't bought one is first, the rumor of a Pro version possibly coming out soon, and the second reason is the XSS makes a compelling argument in that price range as well with a lot of OG and XBLA titles that would run great on it.

Playing old SNES stuff online with friends, turning Mario 1 into a competitive battle royale, Mario Maker, there's a lot going for the Switch. I may just buy a used one with a busted screen and make a TV-only system out of it.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Definite version with Switches extremely elegant voice com solution

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Never heard of it. Incredible success story Cyberpunk is though. Glad to see it get the sales it deserves.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Eoten

But... but... Among Us isn't even 4K, how could this be?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Never played it myself but watched Maximilian Dood stream it playing with his friends and it look like just a really fun time. Definitely looks like something that’s a lot more fun with family and friends due to the nature of the game because you’re trying to figure out if they’re lying so knowing people’s quirks and habits can lend itself to hilarious moments.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Among Us is the game I've been playing the most recently. It's a fun murder mystery game. It reminds me of Danganronpa, except It's multiplayer and non-scripted.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eoten

Yeah, it further proves the point I have been making for months. People would rather have games that are fun than games that look pretty. Not as many people care about things like higher resolutions or ray tracing when the gameplay is boring AF. Consoles lost sight of this and sell us on hardware specs because they have no games to advertise to sell consoles. Hell, Among Us ain't even 3D and it has outsold most everything else.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34601 Posts

How is this game fun with randoms and no voice chat?

I'd never play this on Switch.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Its a great system for kids, family and casuals. Not much for more hardcore users. Hope they move on from casual for kid gaming soon!

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eoten

@sakaixx said:

Its a great system for kids, family and casuals. Not much for more hardcore users. Hope they move on from casual for kid gaming soon!

Why would they move away from what nets them more sales than Playstation or Xbox?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Outside of Gran Turismo, what games with a hardcore audience really exists on the PS4+5?

As for the switch Breath of the Wild, SSBU and Super Mario Odyssey all have a fairly healthy hardcore gamer audience. And that is just for the exclusives alone.

Edit: Even looking at multiplats. It looks like the PS4+5 gamers are vastly underrepresented among hardcore gaming. The switch is also underrepresented. But it still has greater representation than either the XBOX or Playstation. So looks to me like, console gaming in general is a joke for hardcore gaming, when PC exists.