BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Like, all of them. I'll say this and people will post examples were they'll say they're not and they'll be the gaudiest things ever. I think I may be one of the few people in existence that thinks electronic devices don't need tacky decoration. The official ones in particular.

You put all these "extreme" decals on a console with a game theme, only to come to the conclusion that the game absolutely sucks, or you stopped caring about it after a week. So you're forever stuck with that Final Fantasy Whatever title you ended up hating adorning your console for the rest of the gen. So not only did you pay a toll for the extra stickers/paint and crap for whatever licensed garbage they slapped on it, you now look like a bigger dork for having it in your entertainment center.

I like my game consoles to be conservative and my games to be artistic, not the opposite. If people want to trick out their consoles as personal projects because they're feeling creative, that's fine. But, the ones that come directly from game companies that they expect you to buy are universally bad. "Here's a coat of ugly art for FIFTY BUX MOAR PLZ!", no thank you.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Blog it nerd

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4 cainetao11  Online
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

I cannot prove anyone's preference is wrong. Judgment happens in the mind that believes it has a superior opinion. That is absurd in all truth.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Blog it nerd

Hater

asterios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 asterios
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

Personally, I find anything custom Sony to be a lot worse than the Microsoft stuff. That Monster Hunter Controller and console bundle is atrocious

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Agreed consoles need to get with the times and get some RGBs! I'm tired of looking at plain old black n white boxes. Plus RGBs make everything faster and these consoles could really use the speed!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah they are. Same with these super nerd rig PC cases.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

The red LEDs make it run faster, everyone knows that

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BenjaminBanklin

@ConanTheStoner said:

PC cases are mixed blessing, because while they can be complete monstrosities, they also immediately tell you that the person who owns it is someone you should avoid in real life.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

PC cases are mixed blessing, because while they can be complete monstrosities, they also immediately tell you that the person who owns it is someone you should avoid in real life.

Micheal Bay's Transformers in a nutshell.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44157 Posts

I’ve liked most of them myself but I will admit that I’ve also seen a couple that were pretty damn ugly.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I dunno, there have been a few nice ones over the years... I tend to like the more simple styles though. Like my current Scorpio Edition XB1 X :)

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Some of them are nice like the Gears 4 X1S one, has laser-etched markings, but I would not get one for the sole purpose of getting that design, there needs to be another reason like I can use it in another room sometimes, or I don't own the console yet, etc.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Meh. It doesn't bother me. It's not like I'm going to gaze at the hardware or lick it. ;)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Mighty Magnificent. :P

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

What are you "sorry" for? Your opinion is just as valid as someone who loves them.

This is my PC, some will hate it, some will meh! others will like it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest because I do like it :)

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#20 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

I have a Forza 6 console and I friggin loved that game.

It's navy blue and makes car noises when you turn it on. On a light wood TV stand? It honestly doesn't look at that bad.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@knight-k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Don't care what the consoles or my pc physically look like.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

You know what the point of a personal computer (PC) is? It's personal. Customizing the aesthetics, from the desktop theme to the visual style of the case for form factor, color, lighting, or any kind of genre skin, is all part of that personal nature. It's something you own so why not make it an expression that reflects who you are?

And it's no different with a console as one's own personal digital entertainment device, to turn a common item and identifying it as something not just being a typical appliance but of more personal importance to them through that visual expression; that everything in one's decor makes a statement about their individuality, from the wall decorations, to collectible decorations (statues, figurines, model planes, bobble heads, etc...) which can include the PC/console.

Really, it's not much more complicated than that; personalizing something one owns to be a reflection of who they are, which is all the reason that's needed. You may call it ugly, but that's all subjective. Why should a piece of hardware in someone else's living/entertainment space even matter to you?

Or look at it this way; why bother with your unique forum avatar? If you're really that committed to uniformity and conformity, why not just use the default Gamespot 'G' or pixel face? hmmmmm??? ??

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@AdobeArtist said:

Or look at it this way; why bother with your unique forum avatar? Why not just use the default Gamespot 'G' or pixel face? hmmmmm??? ??

In my case with the avatar I use, I took a free POV-RAY mesh, took out some mesh elements, adjusted the camera position, did my own ray tracing, screen capture, editing, and resizing.

I liked the early years of PC customization when someone actually took a Dremel, did their own case-slicing, and fabricated their own additions. Nowadays, all the pre-made stuff took the aura out of customization.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

What are you "sorry" for? Your opinion is just as valid as someone who loves them.

This is my PC, some will hate it, some will meh! others will like it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest because I do like it :)

Get those PSU cables sleeved white dude....

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#27 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

You know what the point of a personal computer (PC) is? It's personal. Customizing the aesthetics, from the desktop theme to the visual style of the case for form factor, color, lighting, or any kind of genre skin, is all part of that personal nature. It's something you own so why not make it an expression that reflects who you are?

And it's no different with a console as one's own personal digital entertainment device, to turn a common item and identifying it as something not just being a typical appliance but of more personal importance to them through that visual expression; that everything in one's decor makes a statement about their individuality, from the wall decorations, to collectible decorations (statues, figurines, model planes, bobble heads, etc...) which can include the PC/console.

Really, it's not much more complicated than that; personalizing something one owns to be a reflection of who they are, which is all the reason that's needed. You may call it ugly, but that's all subjective. Why should a piece of hardware in someone else's living/entertainment space even matter to you?

Or look at it this way; why bother with your unique forum avatar? If you're really that committed to uniformity and conformity, why not just use the default Gamespot 'G' or pixel face? hmmmmm??? ??

Are you an Art teacher?

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdobeArtist  Moderator
@jun_aka_pekto said:
@AdobeArtist said:

In my case, I took a free POV-RAY mesh, took out some mesh elements, adjusted the camera position, did my own ray tracing, screen capture, editing, and resizing.

I liked the early years of PC customization when someone actually took a Dremel and did their own case-slicing and fabricated their own additions. Nowadays, all the pre-made stuff took the aura out of customization.

In my case, I use Photoshop to make my avatar & signatures. As for the case modding, c'mon... you gotta realize that's a highly specialized skill, and personalization shouldn't be so limited only to the select few.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdobeArtist  Moderator
@Sam3231 said:
@AdobeArtist said:

Are you an Art teacher?

Not even. I do work in commercial graphic design, which isn't at all closely related. But as a creative person I can appreciate the arts in varied forms (theater, museum exhibits, literature, etc...) for their cultural value, as well as the value in self expression.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto
@AdobeArtist said:

In my case, I use Photoshop to make my avatar & signatures. As for the case modding, c'mon... you gotta realize that's a highly specialized skill, and personalization shouldn't be so limited only to the select few.

Probably just my background. I'm fine with everyone entitled to personalization. But, it's that highly specialized skill which I most respect......kinda like a master scale modeler. Of course, that's just me.

I admire skills:

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Extreme jelly.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

RGB LEDs make your computer run thrice as fast. Also, they improve my focus by making me feel good, allowing me to pull off more difficult moves.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 X_CAPCOM_X

@GarGx1 said:

I have the same case. It's excellent to show off stuff like custom loops and shiny (also rgb of course) components.

@ConanTheStoner are we super nerd rig owners?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GarGx1

@scatteh316 said:

Get those PSU cables sleeved white dude....

This was my first ever attempt at hard pipe cooling, which is also why there are only two bends (that shit is not as easy to get right as others make it look). Done plenty of soft pipe builds though

There are two things that niggle me. The spaghetti jumble coming of the power supply is the most obvious, I considered a plate across the front but sleeved cables are far more preferable. The other is the coolant return pipe isn't parallel with the feed to the CPU, it's about 1mm off at the pump side (a 2mm spacer was too big). When I upgrade the GPU's I'll go full water cooling, add a second rad and re-do the loop, so I'll fix that then or when I come to drain and clean the coolant.

You can see the run off better in this pic. The pipe at the top is parallel with the fans and rad, the bottom pipe drops at the reservoir

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X

@GarGx1: Corsair is always out of stock of the psu sleeve cover that should have come with the case....

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/crystal-570x-psu-shroud-cover

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GarGx1

@X_CAPCOM_X: I love the case but the cable management is a bit tight, getting everything inside the cable run wasn't easy. My daughters keep changing the lights pink!

Edit: Finding a PSU cover is about as easy as finding Hen's teeth.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X

@GarGx1 said:

@X_CAPCOM_X: I love the case but the cable management is a bit tight, getting everything inside the cable run wasn't easy. My daughters keep changing the lights pink!

I agree. This case is so beautiful -- worth all of the work getting the cables nice and clean. Your build is very nice!

My bro and I had to work as a team to get that cable cover on the back of the mobo plate. I was a little spooked that a cable would cut and short. Once its all complete, it's so worth it. Plus the airflow is actually great if you install an exhaust fan on the back plus a couple 140 mm fans on the top for a bonus.

Also, I wouldn't mind a pink glow coming out of that!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@drlostrib said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

RGB LEDs make your computer run thrice as fast. Also, they improve my focus by making me feel good, allowing me to pull off more difficult moves.

And it lights your room up like a rave which tricks your brain into thinking you're at one and will get you high instinctively after popping so many pills at em

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Nah, that's not too busy at all lol. I'm talking about those ridiculously gaudy setups.

Still, I just prefer something even more minimal these days.

This is the case I currently use.

Disabled all the RGB stuff inside as well. I used to dig the LEDs, just not my thing anymore. Got about $5k worth of hardware in my machine, just don't feel the need to blast it to anyone who sees it lol.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I like some of them. I like when they remain abstract. Like abstract art of the game or a subtlety. I don't like the super extravagant designs that much.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I like this:

I hate this:

Dunno why, but they somehow manage to make those custom COD consoles look their utmost worst.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

LED lights in PC cases is the worst

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Nah, that's not too busy at all lol. I'm talking about those ridiculously gaudy setups.

Disabled all the RGB stuff inside as well. I used to dig the LEDs, just not my thing anymore. Got about $5k worth of hardware in my machine, just don't feel the need to blast it to anyone who sees it lol.

What's the point of that big ol' side panel if it can't even show cool stuff

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

There have been some sweet ones, but yeah, most are fugly. Especially this generation.

I think subtle designs and custom colors can be cool. But overly complex artwork usually doesn't look too hot. Having a games logo and text on the system especially is a huge no-no for me.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

I like this:

I hate this:

Dunno why, but they somehow manage to make those custom COD consoles look their utmost worst.

I agree, that Forza console is an example of a custom console done right. Unique/different color, with a subtle racing stripe and small logo.

That camo PS4 is bad, but so is the camo dualshock 4 - and that design just looks like the camo Dualsock4. The digital camo dualshock 3 from last gen was cool, if they had done the PS4 and controller like that it would have been nice looking (and I'm not even a person that wants anything at all in "camo", but the digital camo look was pretty cool I thought).

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
of Mighty Magnificent. :P
of Mighty Magnificent. :P

Darkness? I can barely see anything. It's not like 99% of every electronic in my home isn't already black which is about as stark as it gets against a white wall sticking out like a sore thumb. I'd honestly rather all my electronics be white, at least it would blend in with the room better. Preferably, I'd love it if I could hide all my gear, nothing more gaudy than a home theater setup with inconsistently sized blue ray player, receiver, Nvidia shield and other boxes with a white wall behind it...horrid. So yeah that Xbox right next to all those sure be sump'n alright.

At least with a PC, you could deck it out with lighting effects, laser etchings and find any color case you need to accent your living room.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

my case

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

Looks blocky and cumbersome. Actually it looks almost exactly like a server I saw at one of AT&T's CO offices.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

I quit buying cases with clear side panel. The Silencio 352 does what I need with minimum of fuss. The other two cases I have are even more generic. Both have locked i5 CPUs. One has my old 4 GB GTX 770. The other one has my old HD 5770.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

You can bet the custom X1X Halo 6 is going to look great!