I'm not sure what else they can do with Forza Motorsport games anymore.

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

With Forza Horizon, they can do whatever they want. Change the scenery, setting, etc...but with Motorsport, they're limited to real life and that's the issue with sim games. I feel sorry for Turn 10, the developers there must be bored out of their minds trying to come up with new things for a game completely based on reality. The only legitimate thing they can always improve on is graphics. I used to be a big Motorsport fan but ever since Horizon 2, I've switched and completely stopped buying the Motorsport series.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Do you feel equally sorry for Polyphony, being just as constrained in settings for Gran Turismo?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

There's only so much more you can do to a sim racing games. It's to be expected for Motorsport series.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lifelessablaze

@AdobeArtist said:

Do you feel equally sorry for Polyphony, being just as constrained in settings for Gran Turismo?

Yeah I think I feel even more sorry for those guys. They take so long with their games and somehow still end up with a worse product.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I think it would be fun to see them do more cross-overs like the Hot-Wheels expansion. There is plenty of creativity with the framework they built, and they can do so much more if they would as far as exploring racing simulators in more surreal settings.

As far as the mainline series goes, they look to be doing a wonderful job with the series. I'm not too familiar with the genre, but you often hear people speaking very highly of Forza games who know more about the genre.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

I always imagine you talking in a similar voice to what is portrayed by your avatar.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@verbtex: A bit like Eeyore from Winnie the Poo?

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 verbtex  Moderator

@jumpaction said:

@verbtex: A bit like Eeyore from Winnie the Poo?

Yeah but add some complaint and some anger, little less depression.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts

I don’t think that it’s really all that different from most other games that are based on real life sports. New car models are always coming out and there’s still probably plenty of classic vehicle models that they can use. They could also use new tracks as well or get creative with new or different modes and game types.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@verbtex: Like maybe a disgruntled Kevin from Kevin & Perry?

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 verbtex  Moderator

@jumpaction said:

@verbtex: Like maybe a disgruntled Kevin from Kevin & Perry?

Yeah, pretty close.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 verbtex  Moderator

But back on the topic of this thread, I think the real problem with Forza, is that it is just too realistic. Some people may like that, but I'd rather have the abstract driving of Mario Kart where you don't worry about shifting, and other real car aspects and just straight up play. I know there is an intended crowd for Forza, but I don't think I'm part of the crowd that enjoys it, more part of the crowd that likes a little bit of fantasy in games.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Pretty much all racing simulator games after GT4 and Forza 2 are kinda the same thing, but with minor improvements to physics and some 'extras'. This genre can only improve so much imo. Doesn't mean racing fast cars isn't fun though.

*raises flame shield*

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lifelessablaze

@verbtex said:

But back on the topic of this thread, I think the real problem with Forza, is that it is just too realistic. Some people may like that, but I'd rather have the abstract driving of Mario Kart where you don't worry about shifting, and other real car aspects and just straight up play. I know there is an intended crowd for Forza, but I don't think I'm part of the crowd that enjoys it, more part of the crowd that likes a little bit of fantasy in games.

Everyone would actually enjoy it a lot more if they play it the way it's meant to be played...with a racing wheel and pedals. That's really the only time sim racers excel, but since nobody is going to buy that stuff...everyone is reduced to playing Forza M with a controller which is like playing Guitar Hero with a controller.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Forza still has a long way to go. The driving is not even close to being as realistic as Gran Turismo.

Forza still doesn’t have proper G-Forces, Shocks and you can’t feel your car turning like in Gran Turismo.

Forza cars are too heavy and only go left/right. Sure Forza is “fun”, but it is unrealistic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:
@verbtex said:

Everyone would actually enjoy it a lot more if they play it the way it's meant to be played...with a racing wheel and pedals. That's really the only time sim racers excel, but since nobody is going to buy that stuff...everyone is reduced to playing Forza M with a controller which is like playing Guitar Hero with a controller.

I don't think that's true.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Most people don't expect revolutionary things from the Forza Motorsport series with each game (and other sim-type racing games)... you know what you're going to get basically, maybe with a few more cars & tracks. It's par for the course with these types of games.

But then again, FM7 is a better game than FM5 & 6 overall, so they did a pretty good job.

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

I used to be a motorsport fan, but then horizon 3 completely won me over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

Yeah, the Forza Motorsport series is definitely getting stale. That's why the reviews are lower. One way you can tell is by looking at user reviews. A lot of racing fans are criticizing or outright bashing Forza 7 for a variety of reasons. Turn 10 took the easy way, and it's showing: they basically stuck with the same old thing, and slapped a bunch of microtransactions on it. A smarter route would have been to do what Codemasters have done with Dirt, which is to convert their game to VR. Playing Dirt on PSVR not only enhances the experience--it completely changes the game. VR is a great way to revitalize a racing series/game. Turn 10 should take notes from Codemasters.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@verbtex said:

I always imagine you talking in a similar voice to what is portrayed by your avatar.

This is amazing. NOW I CAN'T STOP IT.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01

@reduc_ab_ said:

Yeah, the Forza Motorsport series is definitely getting stale. That's why the reviews are lower. One way you can tell is by looking at user reviews. A lot of racing fans are criticizing or outright bashing Forza 7 for a variety of reasons. Turn 10 took the easy way, and it's showing: they basically stuck with the same old thing, and slapped a bunch of microtransactions on it. A smarter route would have been to do what Codemasters have done with Dirt, which is to convert their game to VR. Playing Dirt on PSVR not only enhances the experience--it completely changes the game. VR is a great way to revitalize a racing series/game. Turn 10 should take notes from Codemasters.

Not according to Metacritic:

FM5 = 79

FM6 = 87

FM7 = 88

They seem to be getting better actually. You can keep your VR. Lol.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: Agreed. Forza 6 was better then 5 and 7 looks to be a further improvement over 6. Also no thanks to VR, not interested in that myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

I'm a massive motorsport fan F1, WTCC, BTCC etc and like games that accurately represent it. Just as a football fan wants FIFA to be as realistic as possible or a handegg fans wants Madden to be as close to the real thing.

I also love Mario Kart, Wipeout, Fzero, Forza Horizon, Driveclub etc.

Plenty of room for different types of game to appeal to different types of gamers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

What do you mean ?

Rain in Forza 6 and dynamic weather in 7 are brilliant additions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Not according to Metacritic:

FM5 = 79

FM6 = 87

FM7 = 88

They seem to be getting better actually. You can keep your VR. Lol.

User reviews, as I was talking about in my post, hence "racing fans":

FM6: 7.7

FM7: 6.4

So, yes, lower scores.

And VR is a perfect fit with the racing genre. You'd admit that if MS had a solid VR headset.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Lot of stuff they can do and every iteration adds new things, but this is akin to a sports game, the changes are more subtle sometimes and the new content is not always obvious to some people. In Forza 7 they added new tracks such as the Dubai and Maple Leaf ones, wheather system, they redesigned the class system to work with divisions in order to balance out some of the leader board cars which is a massive change that not everyone is happy about.

Forza7 is very different from 6 in many aspects and Turn 10 usually take their time with quality before adding or changing too many things. They will continue to support this and fine tune it over time as well, looking forward to seeing what's next later. As well, this is a gameplay-driven series and they often make little changes and fine tune the gameplay. To be honest they barely scratched the surface, the racing genre is going through a sort of renaissance because of heavy online and more powerful systems this gen .....there is so much they can do and its more about what they can fit in each game.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

They have no competition at this point. That's probably why they have the leisure to change up game play and introduce different play style. So now they have a traditional racing sim and a more arcady racing style game. So since no one can even catch up to them anymore, they challenge themselves and they're in a comfortable position to do whatever they want.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

More gameplay simulation like track grip level evolution, etc. Still a lot to do to simulate motorsport. Dynamic Weather still has a long way to go. Ironically Forza has just arrived to it, so give it time. Needs to show a dramatic drop in lap times. Speaking of the weather and track conditions, Ai need to improve not necessary fast but strategic. Motorsports is most fun when conditions changes and desperate strategy come to play.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#29 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

It's like any sport sim game. It is what it is.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Tracks could be a little more livelier. GT Sport's environments did a good job, there's monorails, fireworks..etc. Though dunno if Forza ever had that much, just judging from what I've seen on videos, GT's looks to have more going on in the background.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

They main Forza entries interest me less than Horizon, I'd like to see the Horizon series move more in a Motorstorm direction myself.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01

@reduc_ab_: Lol, no... 'user reviews' are not an accurate representation. And you know it. I'd trust someone like Luke Reilly from IGN, who knows what he's talking about, over some 'user' with an axe to grind (and he gave FM7 a 9.2).

And again, no, it wouldn't make a difference if MS had a VR headset. It might be cool for a short while, but I can't imagine spending hours racing using a VR headset. I'd be spewing everywhere.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

Maybe they could try something like rocket league but instead of soccer do golf or something. Tug of war would be fun also, as well as drag racing. They have options but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if they explore them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@reduc_ab_: Lol, no... 'user reviews' are not an accurate representation. And you know it. I'd trust someone like Luke Reilly from IGN, who knows what he's talking about, over some 'user' with an axe to grind (and he gave FM7 a 9.2).

And again, no, it wouldn't make a difference if MS had a VR headset. It might be cool for a short while, but I can't imagine spending hours racing using a VR headset. I'd be spewing everywhere.

User reviews are absolutely accurate, as long as it's not just a bunch of fanboys spouting garbage. I'd be inclined to trust actual gamers before critics. If you look at the FM7 user reviews, it's clear the majority are actual fans of the series. Aside from that, dude, racing in VR is f*cking awesome. You're actually sitting inside of the car. Look to the sides you look out the windows, in the mirrors, you can stick your head out the window and look at the cars behind you, etc. etc. With a steering wheel controller it's even more awesome. Totally immersive.

And LOL at trusting IGN.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts
@lifelessablaze said:

With Forza Horizon, they can do whatever they want. Change the scenery, setting, etc...but with Motorsport, they're limited to real life and that's the issue with sim games. I feel sorry for Turn 10, the developers there must be bored out of their minds trying to come up with new things for a game completely based on reality. The only legitimate thing they can always improve on is graphics. I used to be a big Motorsport fan but ever since Horizon 2, I've switched and completely stopped buying the Motorsport series.

Things they could do for Forza 8

• Add a story (like NBA 2K)
  • Add a team building option (like MGS5)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#36  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

I love both Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon series. I prefer the circuit based racing of FM, but FH is good fun. There is only so much you can do with a sim racer. People are essentially looking for the simulation aspects to improve, more cars, more tracks, better graphics and sound, and maybe a more elaborate career mode. There are plenty of great sim racing games on the market. You either like them or you don't.

TuMekeNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TuMekeNZ
Member since 2016 • 149 Posts

If you're into actual motorsport then you will appreciate the real world locations that these racing sims provide so not sure how or why a fan would want that to change. Obviously the addition of more real world tracks is always welcome and some of the fantasy tracks are awesome too. A good mix of both types is the way to go.

I think Forza's biggest issue is frequency leading to fatigue. I know some love to poke fun at PD for taking so long to bring out another GT game but I like the bigger gap between releases as it makes each release feel like an event.

Every year you know you will get a new Forza, be it MS or Horizon, and you know what to expect from each.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@reduc_ab_: Most user reviews are heavily skewed towards negative scores because people are pissed off at something and score it zero or 1 etc. Not exactly accurate.

And depending on the reviewer, I'd trust them more. Especially someone like Luke Reilly who lives and breathes these games.

But anyway... wasting my breath.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@lifelessablaze: If you own a physical copy, it doubles as an excellent beer/coffee coaster.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Probably a lot more than Polyphony, considering they actually have the man-power to produce something in a timely manner.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@hrt_rulz01: Like I said, if you actually look at the user reviews for FM7 you find a ton of well thought out criticism by actual fans of the series.

But yeah, wasting my breath, as you say. You'll never look at those reviews, and if you do, you won't admit they come from actual fans of the series.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hrt_rulz01

@reduc_ab_: Likewise with you and seeing the tonnes of negative ones that rate it zero because they don't like loot boxes.

Anyway we all know you don't like anything Xbox so we know you look for any negatives you can find and pounce on them... like using user reviews. I'm sure if the critics rated it lower, you'd be using that.

Anyway whatevs.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lifelessablaze

stfu all of you for disagreeing with me. get out of my gat dang thread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@hrt_rulz01: Uh, dude, the loot boxes criticism is legitimate. And for the record I think FM is a great series. I just think there are things that could be done to diversify the games, such as offering VR compatibility.

Anyway. There is no need to put me in a little box. I don't automatically hate everything MS. I just think in general they're having a shitty gen. Last gen was great for them, filled with lots of great games. I'm sure next gen they'll bounce back.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@reduc_ab_: There are a few reviews with half decent comments. Emphasis on a few. Most are absolute rubbish and user reviews are mostly worthless. This applies to both ends of the spectrum.

I have looked at the Xbox FM7 reviews. As I type this there are 59 reviews.

27 of them are 10s

12 are 0s

10 more of them are 1 to 4

10 more of them are 5 to 9

It is either gushing fanboys or haters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@SUD123456: There are plenty of long, well thought out critical user reviews on MC concerning FM7. Some fanboyish, many not. Over on the PC side of things it's the same deal. FM7 PC has a user score in the 4's right now. And, no, not all of those are "haters". There is lots of legitimate criticism.

But who really cares. I think it's a good series, as I've said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

FORZA Battle mode Ala Twisted Metal

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Pay wall/micro transactions are the key to a new Forza experience. Well played Microsoft.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

They can do better than Gran Turismo.

Cows crying over Forza, you should direct your attention to GT so they can improve their current flop trend.

what's with you cows and your obsession with Microsoft?

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

They can start charging stupid people for gas.