IGN reviews Brawl!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts

Get it while it's hot! Right here!

Some exerpts from the review:

compared to the Whooper that is Super Smash Bros Brawl, a Wii game dripping with different play modes, characters, stages and online components, Melee has been reduced to a plain old hamburger. (And by the way, we're hungry.)IGN

The title runs in both 480p and 16:9 widescreen display for the first time, and it also hums along at an uninterrupted 60 frames per second. This is true despite the fact that the in-world characters are comprised of more polygons and skinned with more detailed textures, likewise for the many environments (some of which are destructible), and that the title features some of the most beautiful particle explosions in any Nintendo entry yet.IGN

The biggest problem with the mode, which to its credit does support two-player cooperative games, is that Sora has merely kidnapped the control schemes designed for a 3D fighter and transplanted them into vertical and horizontal-scrolling platform-heavy stages. While these schemes are perfectly suited for fast-paced fights, they are only passable for more traditional levels.IGN

The end result is a fighter which plays incredibly fast, is highly responsive, and whose inner-depth is a rabbit hole with no discernible end. Unskilled button mashers will be able to jump into the bouts with a façade of prowess, but skilled players will draw upon each fighter's unique strengths, avoid their weaknesses, and capitalize on properly timed smashes; eventually, the men shall be separated from the boys.IGN

And if that weren't all enough, you can fully customize the control configurations for every pad. It's an incredibly flexible system sure to accommodate even the most discerning and finicky players.IGN

Completely lag free? Well, that all depends each player's connection. In tests conducted between the offices of IGN Los Angeles and San Francisco, a distance of roughly 400 miles, we noticed no lag whatsoever.IGN

More than Galaxy, more than Prime 3, it is a game that you will keep coming back to, night after night, to play with friends. The offline four-player multiplayer is Nintendo-branded heroin that will have you chained to your living room couch for hours on end. IGN

You will play the game to death when you get it. But unlike so many single-player hits, Metroid and Mario included, you will still be playing and consequently loving Brawl in the months and years to come. It is one of the great multiplayer titles of the generation and simply not to be missed.IGN

I could rant and rave all day about how good Smash is, but it's redundant at this point. Simply put, Smash is a must-have game, and every Wii console out there isn't complete without it.IGN

[spoiler] 9.5! [/spoiler]

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
Nice.
Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts

"Graphics
Looks like an enhanced version of Melee. Improved character models and backgrounds. Everything runs in 480p, 16:9 and at 60 frames. Even so, the graphics definitely lack detail in areas."

Really ?! It's a freaking Wii game.............

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
Nice score now we wait for GS review
mustaf_nur89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mustaf_nur89
Member since 2003 • 658 Posts
Well done great score. Shame about the graphics or it could have scored higher. This is why i just brought a Wii...game on...
X_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 X_Evo
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts
Haha wow amazing now I can't wait to see what GS gives it.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50634 Posts

That Sonic stage is awesome.

Also, Sound
One of the best soundtracks ever created. Sound effects, meanwhile, are perfectly punchy and well-suited to the characters and environments.

Sounds good! Too bad no 5.1 for Wii...

II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 II-FBIsniper-II
Well done great score. Shame about the graphics or it could have scored higher. This is why i just brought a Wii...game on...mustaf_nur89
You know the score isn't an average.
braydee1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 braydee1234
Member since 2004 • 2937 Posts

Haha wow amazing now I can't wait to see what GS gives it.X_Evo

mate, i wouldn't bother waiting. We all know their reviews are devalued at the moment. Go by IGN and other sites if i were you.

X_Evo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 X_Evo
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

[QUOTE="X_Evo"]Haha wow amazing now I can't wait to see what GS gives it.braydee1234

mate, i wouldn't bother waiting. We all know their reviews are devalued at the moment. Go by IGN and other sites if i were you.

Of course I know that .. but in SW we go by what GS gives it and I am curious on that matter.

II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 II-FBIsniper-II

[QUOTE="X_Evo"]Haha wow amazing now I can't wait to see what GS gives it.braydee1234

IGN is worse than gamespot, they have ads all over.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts

Awesome, not that it mattered...

I'm still waiting for the PAL release...

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

No surprises here. Really doesn't matter what scores it gets to me though, I am going to play the hell out of this game :)

mustaf_nur89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mustaf_nur89
Member since 2003 • 658 Posts

[QUOTE="mustaf_nur89"]Well done great score. Shame about the graphics or it could have scored higher. This is why i just brought a Wii...game on...II-FBIsniper-II

really? i thought they give the average of all the attributes?...

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

Cool, thought it would be good!

PS - Even though there is an official thread, this thread was open before I had created it and is allowed for the discussion of the IGN review only.

II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 II-FBIsniper-II

[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"][QUOTE="mustaf_nur89"]Well done great score. Shame about the graphics or it could have scored higher. This is why i just brought a Wii...game on...mustaf_nur89

really? i thought they give the average of all the attributes?...

Look at the review.

OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arsuz

Some exerpts from the review:

compared to the Whooper that is Super Smash Bros Brawl, a Wii game dripping with different play modes, characters, stages and online components, Melee has been reduced to a plain old hamburger. (And by the way, we're hungry.)IGN

The title runs in both 480p and 16:9 widescreen display for the first time, and it also hums along at an uninterrupted 60 frames per second. This is true despite the fact that the in-world characters are comprised of more polygons and skinned with more detailed textures, likewise for the many environments (some of which are destructible), and that the title features some of the most beautiful particle explosions in any Nintendo entry yet.IGN

The biggest problem with the mode, which to its credit does support two-player cooperative games, is that Sora has merely kidnapped the control schemes designed for a 3D fighter and transplanted them into vertical and horizontal-scrolling platform-heavy stages. While these schemes are perfectly suited for fast-paced fights, they are only passable for more traditional levels.IGN

The end result is a fighter which plays incredibly fast, is highly responsive, and whose inner-depth is a rabbit hole with no discernible end. Unskilled button mashers will be able to jump into the bouts with a façade of prowess, but skilled players will draw upon each fighter's unique strengths, avoid their weaknesses, and capitalize on properly timed smashes; eventually, the men shall be separated from the boys.IGN

And if that weren't all enough, you can fully customize the control configurations for every pad. It's an incredibly flexible system sure to accommodate even the most discerning and finicky players.IGN

Completely lag free? Well, that all depends each player's connection. In tests conducted between the offices of IGN Los Angeles and San Francisco, a distance of roughly 400 miles, we noticed no lag whatsoever.IGN

More than Galaxy, more than Prime 3, it is a game that you will keep coming back to, night after night, to play with friends. The offline four-player multiplayer is Nintendo-branded heroin that will have you chained to your living room couch for hours on end. IGN

You will play the game to death when you get it. But unlike so many single-player hits, Metroid and Mario included, you will still be playing and consequently loving Brawl in the months and years to come. It is one of the great multiplayer titles of the generation and simply not to be missed.IGN

I could rant and rave all day about how good Smash is, but it's redundant at this point. Simply put, Smash is a must-have game, and every Wii console out there isn't complete without it.IGN

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Arsuz

PS - Even though there is an official thread, this thread was open before I had created it and is allowed for the discussion of the IGN review only.

daqua_99

Yes BEAT YOU TO IT!......man...how sad is that? :(

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts
[QUOTE="daqua_99"]

Arsuz

Yes BEAT YOU TO IT!......man...how sad is that? :(

I got my time conversions wrong by an hour ... oh well.

Anyway this game will be gold for me ... can't wait, yet I'm in Australia so it is later in the year here, but good review nonetheless

Shazenab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shazenab
Member since 2004 • 3413 Posts
Can'y wait, sadly in Europe we have to.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
[QUOTE="braydee1234"]

[QUOTE="X_Evo"]Haha wow amazing now I can't wait to see what GS gives it.II-FBIsniper-II

Still, they review better.

Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Arsuz
[QUOTE="II-FBIsniper-II"][QUOTE="braydee1234"]

[QUOTE="X_Evo"]Haha wow amazing now I can't wait to see what GS gives it.Wintry_Flutist

Still, they review better.

Anyone got the McDonald ads? And anyone noticed the hamburger analogies Mat used in his review? How very fishy! I bet Mat is on McDonald's pay list, so this review automatically means nothing!

ljlrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#23 ljlrj
Member since 2007 • 14800 Posts
Nice Review
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
getting it!
Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts
great score. sorry haters, no blood and no muscled half naked men... just pure godly gameplay
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
[QUOTE="mustaf_nur89"]Well done great score. Shame about the graphics or it could have scored higher. This is why i just brought a Wii...game on...II-FBIsniper-II

i still don't know what that means you know :P
Erebyssial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Erebyssial
Member since 2007 • 2903 Posts
Great score, great review. Brawl ftw, now we just need to play it.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
Where all the haters at?
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox

Where all the haters at?ice144

Brawl looks like a N64 game!

(Just filling in the role)

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
Nice, now we will wait and see GS score.
nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts

[QUOTE="ice144"]Where all the haters at?Chutebox

umm.. is it ok if i bash you then? you know... to make the role realistic a bit? :P
metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts
Woo go brawl!
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Awesome
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="ice144"]Where all the haters at?nintendo-4life

umm.. is it ok if i bash you then? you know... to make the role realistic a bit? :P

You won't!

Lets see...Um, lol at you guys playing a last gen game! Yea!

bf2nutta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bf2nutta
Member since 2007 • 1356 Posts
Can't wait to get this.. awesome review
EuroMafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EuroMafia
Member since 2008 • 7026 Posts
awesome score.
BTBAM127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BTBAM127
Member since 2006 • 2522 Posts
so on gamespot it better get above 9 or else we will have a mad sheep outbreak again, where they go nuts and cry and say the reviewer is stupid. hahah :) but yeah good for the game good for the wii!