IGN gives new PSVR exclusive Astro Bot: Rescue Mission a 9/10; calls it the best showcase yet of the PSVR's potential

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

So, IGN published a gushing review of Astro Bot: Rescue Mission, the PSVR's latest exclusive, developed by Sony's first-party SIE Japan Studio. They loved it, saying it delivers on the potential of the PSVR, and creates a uniquely new perspective for the platforming genre. Recently IGN published a story about how the PSVR is hitting its stride, which is based on their visit to TGS this year, where they played a bunch of PSVR titles and came away impressed. This just all goes to show, which is the point of this thread, that the PSVR is steadily gaining popularity and mainstream appeal. IGN is about as mainstream as it gets, and, after publishing very little about the PSVR in the past, they've now come out clearly in support of the device. Anyway, for PSVR fans, and VR fans in general, this is great news, as it means more games...and, down the road, a PSVR 2. The PSVR's library and fanbase are growing steadily, and as a PSVR fan myself, I couldn't be happier. As always, great VR times ahead! :)

Here's the video article about PSVR hitting it's stride:

https://www.ign.com/videos/2018/09/28/playstation-vr-is-about-to-hit-its-stride

And here's the Astro Bot review:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10/05/astro-bot-rescue-mission-review

From the article:

"It’s hard to overstate how incredibly different and exciting Astro Bot Rescue Mission’s new perspective is for the platform genre. The depth of the PSVR’s 3D leads to some truly incredible moments, like when Captain Astro leaps from eye level down to a trampoline metres below, only to bounce up and over your head. In almost every level I audibly gasped or smiled with delight, like when I needed to duck my head underwater to watch the little robot swim through some pipes or simply when Captain Astro would stand close enough to touch. The challenging platforming and natural implementation of VR make it one of the most interesting and genuinely new-feeling games in recent memory. Astro Bot Rescue Mission delivers on the potential of PSVR and is a must-buy for owners of the device."

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Isn't there already a post about the positive reviews for this game? Are you going to create a new thread for every review you like?

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

@kingtito:

Are you ok? you seem butthurted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@kingtito: Dude, did you even read the post? It's about the increasing mainstream appeal of the PSVR. I know reading comprehension insults get thrown around rudely in this forum a lot, so don't take this the wrong way, because it's not an insult, but....reading comprehension, dude. Seriously.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kingtito

@zappat said:

@kingtito:

Are you ok? you seem butthurted

How would I be butthurt? I don't care how many positive reviews come out for the PSVR or it's games. We already had a thread about this game and it's reviews. Don't need another one

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kingtito

@reduc_ab_ said:

@kingtito: Dude, did you even read the post? It's about the increasing mainstream appeal of the PSVR. I know reading comprehension insults get thrown around rudely in this forum a lot, so don't take this the wrong way, because it's not an insult, but....reading comprehension, dude. Seriously.

I read the thread title. This could have been said in the other thread is really my point.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

lemtito is butthurt because his beloved lemming FH4 will be shadowed by this.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingtito

@recloud said:

lemtito is butthurt because his beloved lemming FH4 will be shadowed by this.

FH4? Wasn't aware I owned that game, nice to know. Thanks for the heads up troll.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

I read the thread title. This could have been said in the other thread is really my point.

----->Makes sweeping statement about thread post

----->Did not read thread post

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Another AAA Sony exclusive for Gamespot coming? Calling it now.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Needhealing

@kingtito said:

Isn't there already a post about the positive reviews for this game? Are you going to create a new thread for every review you like?

Damn, lemmings be salty. I know you haven't had a AAAE in ages, but still.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@needhealing said:

Another AAA Sony exclusive for Gamespot coming? Calling it now.

I hope so! Waiting on the review...

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kingtito

@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

What's your thread title? Could your post not have been made in the Astro bot review thread? Yes absolutely it could have. Guessing you're not understanding my point because you feel the need to justify your purchase? Don't bother answering, it was rhetorical

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kingtito

@needhealing said:
@kingtito said:

Wrong kid, I have options to play any game on any system I wish. You should be so lucky but you're a cow and thus told what to like and what to own. Sucks having your head up a corporations ass doesn't it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

What's your thread title? Could your post not have been made in the Astro bot review thread? Yes absolutely it could have. Guessing you're not understanding my point because you feel the need to justify your purchase? Don't bother answering, it was rhetorical

Enough, dude. You're a bubbling pot of negativity, you know that? I hope you have a nice day. I really do.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kingtito

@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Enough, dude. You're a bubbling pot of negativity, you know that? I hope you have a nice day. I really do.

I don't know why but that had me LOLing. Seriously, SWs isn't the place for you. You're way to sensitive to post in this place. But fine I'll leave your thread. Have a nice holiday weekend.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Needhealing

@kingtito said:
@needhealing said:
@kingtito said:

Wrong kid, I have options to play any game on any system I wish. You should be so lucky but you're a cow and thus told what to like and what to own. Sucks having your head up a corporations ass doesn't it.

Oh the whole "I play on all systems." You're a lemming. Don't hide it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:

I don't know why but that had me LOLing. Seriously, SWs isn't the place for you. You're way to sensitive to post in this place. But fine I'll leave your thread. Have a nice holiday weekend.

Dude, you don't have to leave. I don't want you to leave. I just wish you'd calm down. You get so freakin' reactive at times. Sheesh. It's video games we're talking about. Not the death of your soul. C'mon.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kingtito

@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Dude, you don't have to leave. I don't want you to leave. I just wish you'd calm down. You get so freakin' reactive at times. Sheesh. It's video games we're talking about. Not the death of your soul. C'mon.

How was my post anything but calm. Pointing out we already had a pro Astro Bot thread bot even if the article is more about the potential for PSVR and/or it's games. There was nothing malicious about it.

I wish you'd express these same feelings to some of your bovine brothers from time to time.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Games like this will push VR into the mainstream.

Hope VR devs take a hint that it doesn't need to be a jumpscare game machine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:
@kingtito said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

How was my post anything but calm. Pointing out we already had a pro Astro Bot thread bot even if the article is more about the potential for PSVR and/or it's games. There was nothing malicious about it.

I wish you'd express these same feelings to some of your bovine brothers from time to time.

Yeah, dude, you're just crazy reactionary. For some reason even just mentioning the PSVR with no context makes your blood pressure go up. For your own sake, take some deep breaths. And, again, have a nice day. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@Ant_17 said:

Games like this will push VR into the mainstream.

Hope VR devs take a hint that it doesn't need to be a jumpscare game machine.

Yep, that's the best part about it, and basically what I'm trying to point out with this thread. VR games can involve all genres. It just comes down to how creative and talented the devs are. Horror games are great, and especially great in VR, but VR can offer SO MUCH more than just horror stuff, which Astro Bot, among many other titles, proves.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

VR is the new Kinect! ?

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

VR is the new Kinect! ?

I mean considering this game among others are higher rated than any Kinect exclusive game in it's 7 year run, not really.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:
@xhawk27 said:

VR is the new Kinect! ?

I mean considering this game among others are higher rated than any Kinect exclusive game in it's 7 year run, not really.

I think a Kinect game got a 9.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@xhawk27 said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@xhawk27 said:

VR is the new Kinect! ?

I think a Kinect game got a 9.

Which one? Fru is the highest I can find at 84.

Edit: Dance Central 2+3 at 86.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@blueberry_bandit: Hmm. Good point.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I look forward to what vr can do for games. I played shadow of the colossus in 3D and even that breathe new life into the game for me. I’m not sold on buying into it yet but given a good deal and a handful of quality games and I’ll go for it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

That actually seems like a really cool take on VR. Being a kind of overwatch for your actual playable character is pretty cool. I'm still not getting into VR, largely because I don't like restricting my environment that much, and due to it being relatively new. I might take the dive in time, once the tech heavily matures, but i'm unsure.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@lundy86_4 said:

That actually seems like a really cool take on VR. Being a kind of overwatch for your actual playable character is pretty cool. I'm still not getting into VR, largely because I don't like restricting my environment that much, and due to it being relatively new. I might take the dive in time, once the tech heavily matures, but i'm unsure.

Well if you want to satisfy both requirements you could always wait until we get mixed reality in VR. Which means a VR headset that does a real time scan of the real world to merge it with VR. Oculus and HTC and Sony all seem to be working on this, and likely Microsoft too. This will let you have any amount of real life in your VR experience so you'd be able to keep in touch with reality and family members, pets and such or just use it minimally to see your drinks in VR. And yes, this does mean toasting real life drinks represented in VR with friends 3000 miles away. The future.

Oculus said it'll likely be here in 4 years.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:

Well if you want to satisfy both requirements you could always wait until we get mixed reality in VR. Which means a VR headset that does a real time scan of the real world to merge it with VR. Oculus and HTC and Sony all seem to be working on this, and likely Microsoft too. This will let you have any amount of real life in your VR experience so you'd be able to keep in touch with reality and family members, pets and such or just use it minimally to see your drinks in VR. And yes, this does mean toasting real life drinks represented in VR with friends 3000 miles away. The future.

Oculus said it'll likely be here in 4 years.

That would be really cool. It's largely just a cowardly reaction, as I don't like not being able to interact with my surroundings and being unaware of what is going on whilst gaming. No doubt it's something I could probably get used to, but when gaming I like to feel my most comfortable.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11054 Posts

It's nice that Sony published another winner. Too bad about the VR thing though, it'll give me the spins if I tried it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

C'mon guys VR died already, we do we have to...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

If VR was cheaper i'd be down, but it's asking too much for too little.

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

You know its bad for cows around here when the best then can hype is this shit.

It's gonna be a long few months for cows. First Spiderglitch, now FH4, RDR2 in 4k coming to the X, then followed by a slew of other games releasing this holiday... That will all play better on the X as well.

At least in Feb, cows will get Days Flop. Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@elitegaming247: No doubt. It's an instant classic.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

C'mon guys VR died already, we do we have to...

lol this video shows how VR died

sony themselves is the guy with the hammer. blueberry bandit is the little kid. and reduc/quack are in the hole behind the little boy.lmao

Loading Video...

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

More great vr games are always good:) if I owned a PS4 I would undoubtedly give this a spin! The second they release some decent wireless vr glasses I am all aboard!