IF you was the CEO of Activision would you MILK the CoD series? POLL

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Fear- (499 posts) -
If you was in charge of the cod series future what would you do?
#2 Posted by finalstar2007 (27940 posts) -

Yes if it was up to me i would make an online only CoD game with cross platform feature!

anyone would be stupid to not milk a popular franchise

#3 Posted by gameofthering (11131 posts) -

Have one that changes every time and the other always the same.

#4 Posted by parkurtommo (28295 posts) -

Umm

Yes.

#5 Posted by Zero_epyon (12127 posts) -

Yes and no.

Yes I'd make more than one. No I'd release one every two years not one every year. Give some time to make real improvements, not expansions.

Btw, the poll is missing.

#6 Posted by The_Game21x (26362 posts) -

Why wouldn't I? It's extremely popular and makes me truckloads of money. I'd have to be an idiot not to.

#7 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

If it is was still successful and people were still demanding it I would keep releasing it becasue I would be making bank off of it. Supply and Demand, nothing wrong with that.

And calling COD milkage is funny because if you do then that means Halo, Assassin's Creed, and plenty of other games are also milkage. COD games are fun, they have great campaigns, great multiplayer, and great gameplay. The series gameplay formula may not change much, but that is not nesseccarily a bad thing. They do add in new content to justify a purchase. Only thing I dislike about them is the map packs are over priced.

You should look at Black Ops 2 though, it is making some big changes to the series. It will be the best shooter of the year.

#8 Posted by SolidTy (49991 posts) -

Of course anyone should and would here if we were the CEOs of ACTIVISION. It's a Business.

That's like asking if we are going to breath air tomorrow, or eat later this week. It's a no brainer. It also makes no point.

---------

That's a business perspective though, and has no bearing on if we gamers like a game or dislike a game, or notice quality dipping in a franchise.

This feels like a Damage Control and Product Relations for 2012's COD9 : BO2, next year's 2013's COD10 : MW4, and 2014's COD11 : BO3. If I'm reading the direction right, this is justification as to why we shouldn't speak up against the gaming aspects of the COD franchise or ACTIVISION's policies.

Business =/= Gaming

This isn't the first time "teenage armchair CEOs" attempted to justify the milkage.

#9 Posted by lundy86_4 (48894 posts) -

People consistently buy the new releases, and enjoy them thoroughly, and the media gives them great reviews. Absolutely.

If the quality began to dip substantially enough to greatly affect either of those, it's at that point you would start to rething the franchise.

#10 Posted by Cheleman (8197 posts) -

Ofcourse
Business is business:cool:

#11 Posted by Fear- (499 posts) -
Sorry poll was missing, I just added it
#12 Posted by MLBknights58 (5016 posts) -

Oh hell yes.

#13 Posted by Gen007 (11006 posts) -

The answer has to be yes because it really isnt making games at that point its more about making stockholders or whoever you answer to money. So yeah because COD is guaranteed money thats say though I would def put a ton of effort into actually making sure the series grew by leaps and bounds with each release and they have the time and money for that as well.

#14 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
yes... Why not? it continues to out sell EVERY game in a week. With the amount of sells and money they get i think they could afford to offer more. Not saying what they conintue to offer isn't enough. Also i push the games into a 3 year rotation between devs. Hopefully thats what sledgehammer is doing
#15 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
Not if I actually cared about the games industry, the precedents that milking the COD series with DLC would set, and the perception as gaming as a medium to the general public.
#16 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

If it is was still successful and people were still demanding it I would keep releasing it becasue I would be making bank off of it. Supply and Demand, nothing wrong with that.

And calling COD milkage is funny because if you do then that means Halo, Assassin's Creed, and plenty of other games are also milkage. COD games are fun, they have great campaigns, great multiplayer, and great gameplay. The series gameplay formula may not change much, but that is not nesseccarily a bad thing. They do add in new content to justify a purchase. Only thing I dislike about them is the map packs are over priced.

You should look at Black Ops 2 though, it is making some big changes to the series. It will be the best shooter of the year.

ShadowMoses900
Why all the sudden COD like? does Halo 4 scare you you have to use COD to fight it?
#17 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Infinity Ward on single player, Treyarch on multiplayer, a new engine, and a 2 1/2 to 3 year dev cycle.
#18 Posted by Gen007 (11006 posts) -

The answer has to be yes because it really isnt making games at that point its more about making stockholders or whoever you answer to money. So yeah because COD is guaranteed money thats say though I would def put a ton of effort into actually making sure the series grew by leaps and bounds with each release and they have the time and money for that as well.

#19 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

5cf6111c_8ca3_6c910.jpg

it makes me loads of money! Milk milk milk!

#20 Posted by TopTierHustler (3894 posts) -

It's the best selling franchise.

You'd have to be a financial t@rd to not put out sequels.

#21 Posted by burgeg (3599 posts) -

Define milk. Because to be honest I don't consider the two year development cycle the series currently uses milking...

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#22 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9871 posts) -
I'd slow down the release schedules right now so Sledgehammer and Treyarch can redefine Call of Duty for the next generation consoles, including a brand new engine built from the ground up. After that, I'd start putting out COD at a regular basis considering people still buy them.
#23 Posted by GarGx1 (9707 posts) -

Hell yeah!

Edit

Don't forget the $15 map packs as DLC, now those I'd possibly look at releasing bi-monthly if not monthly! Though every second one I'd add a little bit of single player or co-op in as well, an hour or so of game play, just to pretend they're value for money.

#24 Posted by platniumgamer (3960 posts) -

yeah.

i would swim in the money.

#25 Posted by SpiralSmile (245 posts) -

Basically "If you could make 1 billion dollars a year, would you?" HELL YES!

#26 Posted by TopTierHustler (3894 posts) -

Define milk. Because to be honest I don't consider the two year development cycle the series currently uses milking...

burgeg

this

#27 Posted by cainetao11 (33563 posts) -

Yes if it was up to me i would make an online only CoD game with cross platform feature!

finalstar2007
Agreed. If someone here was CEo at activision and tried to NOT milk a cash cow, they would be fired and replaced for not maximizing profits.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#28 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Of course I would.

#29 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
the amazing thing about CoD is that activision maintains a two year cycle on an yearly release series. this alone is so ingenious they deserve the right to milk CoD.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#30 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

the amazing thing about CoD is that activision maintains a two year cycle on an yearly release series. this alone is so ingenious they deserve the right to milk CoD.BrunoBRS

And more amazing on top of that is that it still sells like hot cakes.

#31 Posted by Badosh (12770 posts) -
derp.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
#32 Posted by deactivated-5ac102a4472fe (7431 posts) -

No, I would put one out every 4-5 years, twice a gen would be a fairly good spot. And I would make it an improvement over the last. (or ty to do so).

Basicly in the long term you could very well make more money like this then drive it to fatique and crashing down, that while giving a huge income here and now, will likely make it worthless in a gen.

#33 Posted by Wasdie (53504 posts) -

Why do you think they keep making all of those stupid Mario spinoffs and whatnot?

#34 Posted by Gue1 (12171 posts) -

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

TopTierHustler

this

lol

:roll:

#35 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Obviously yes. If people don't mind they are ripped off then it's ok for me. Heck, I would charge DLC for $20 and people would still buy them.
#36 Posted by Lucianu (10283 posts) -

Obviously yes, i would do what's best for my company.

#37 Posted by TopTierHustler (3894 posts) -

[QUOTE="TopTierHustler"]

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

Gue1

this

lol

:roll:

It's cute when haters hate.

#38 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

finalstar2007
no thanks. As much as cod is played primarily for the mp... it has great campaigns aswell..and the offline modes (spec ops / zombies / splitscreen mp) are great.
#39 Posted by dotWithShoes (5406 posts) -

burgeg
It's the same cycle that EA is using with Battlefield/Medal of Honor now.
#40 Posted by Nozizaki (1471 posts) -
Abuse 7 year olds for about 3 more games, then let destiny burn CoD to ashes.
#41 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
Yep
#42 Posted by supa_badman (16714 posts) -

As much as I would hate it, it would probably be fiscally irresponsible of me if I didn't.

#43 Posted by cainetao11 (33563 posts) -

No, I would put one out every 4-5 years, twice a gen would be a fairly good spot. And I would make it an improvement over the last. (or ty to do so).

Basicly in the long term you could very well make more money like this then drive it to fatique and crashing down, that while giving a huge income here and now, will likely make it worthless in a gen.

Maddie_Larkin
That's not how business works. I see your point in theory but it's supply and demand. There is a demand for COD yearly, so you'd be a fool not to supply it. And there is no garauntee that waiting 4-5 years the consumer mindset would still find your product relevant. I hate the same game, new paint job that COD is, but in business you take the money while it's there. It will die off, all things must change.
#44 Posted by Timstuff (26840 posts) -
I would release a CoD game every quarter until everyone is as sick of the franchise as I am.
#45 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

Sure. If I were running any game company I would exploit every single aspect of the gaming community I could, and I would sleep very well at night.

If I were running a real company, I would likely approach my business with a long term strategy of providing value and quality products and/or services.

#46 Posted by free_milk (3903 posts) -

burgeg
milk my friend is milk. want some?
#47 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

If I took over now, yes. I'd continue to milk it. Because that's what people expect. I'd try to start a new IP, that would be more innovative, and take more risks, but continue milking the sh!t out of CoD. Because at this point, anyone who's totally lost interest in CoD, because of the milking, isn't coming back, anyway. And the people who continue buying CoD do it because they enjoy the formula, and changing it would risk alienating them.

#48 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -
Sheep keep buying, me keep milking.
#49 Posted by Malta_1980 (11890 posts) -

Of course I would, since when did Companies start not caring about making loads of money??? It would be stupid not to business-wise..

I dont understand all the bs companies get for 'milking' a successful series.. Considering these keep selling millions, i believe in the end its what Gamers want..

If Gamers werent interested in COD, Mario, Halo, Gran Turismo etc etc they would just not buy them, but they would just stop buying them...

#50 Posted by Silenthps (7298 posts) -
if people are still stupid enough to buy it, then there's no point in stopping. But the thing is though, I'd definitely be using that money to fund new original ip's