If you understand PC hardware then you know the Wii U absolutely will be........

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

considerably more powerful than the HD Twins. How do I *know* this? It's easy, that's because I am knowledgeable about PC hardware.

Let me give you an example so that you understand my logic. Let's take the 7800 GT as an example. This was a top of the line PC GPU back in 2005. Today Nvidia produces GPUs that are many times more powerful. But even their budget GPUs are a lot more powerful and support a lot more features. On top of that, they are also MUCH CHEAPER to manufacture.

That's right, it would be very expensive for Nvidia to manufacture today the 7800 GT. But they did it in 2005, what the heck am I talking about? Well, the problem is it would be a huge waste. It would take too much money to produce a chip that has crappy performance. Today Nvidia can produce a chip with 7800 GT power(NOT THE SAME CHIP but a current chip with the same power) very cheaply. Not only that, it would support other graphics features in the hardware chip that the 7800 chips didn't have.

For example, they could produce a 7800 GT for let's say manufacturing costs of $50 or they could produce a budget card with their current architecture that is 5X more powerful, has tons more features, runs much cooler and for the same $50. Or they could produce a card for $100 that is 10X more powerful. What would be real difficult is to produce a card that is less powerful than a 7800 GT. They would need to go to their cheapest cards with everything stripped out and really they will not even save much in manufacturing costs. Why spend $35 for a stripped down piece of junk card when you can get at least a decent card for $50? $50 is not going to go over budget and maybe they even want a $60 or $70 level card in the Wii U.

I fully understand that Nintendo wants to be profitable from day one. PS4 and Xbox 720 will spend $200 on GPUs, but if Nintendo only spends $50 they will destroy what is in the HD Twins. What I think they will do is try to get the most performance from their budget. They have a budget, it's much smaller than Sony's and MS's but it's not Zero. With their limited budget they will be weaker than the other next gen consoles. But it is absurd to think they won't beat out the 360 and PS3.

To summarize, there is no way in hell that the Wii U is at all less powerful than the HD Twins. It will be considerably more powerful, the first party games will blow the doors off of the PS3 exclusives. This is not a prediction, it's a FACT. Unless you believe Nintendo will on purpose make the Wii U weak even if it doesn't really save them money just for the hell of it, then you understand it can't be. If that was the case and they wanted a weak console, then they would've just brought out that controller with the screen for the regular Wii and saved a lot of trouble and time.

No more speculation necessary, the Wii U is going to be a lot better than the Xbox 360 and PS3.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

No more speculation necessary, the Wii U is going to be a lot better than the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Xplode_games

A next gen console is going to be more powerful than current gen consoles!?!?! :shock:

Seriously though, lets wait for the specs to be released, if that ever happens

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
I think it being more powerful was quite implied by the fact that it's a next gen console.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
Yeah, but ...uh.....does it MATTER? Its a next gen console. Coming in 2011 (i think...). Comparing it to a system originally from 2005 and another from 2006. So..um....that doesnt work.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Xplode_games"]

BPoole96

A next gen console is going to be more powerful than current gen consoles!?!?! :shock:

Seriously though, lets wait for the specs to be released, if that ever happens

Once they are released many wouldn't believe it anyway because they will never here it from Nintendo because Nintendo just wants the games to speak for themselves once they announce the specs people would be disappointed by the specs and forget they used to think the games looked great before they knew the specs.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts
Did we need to have another new Wii U thread today? How many that were created just today?
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

It will be more powerful but that wont be utilized for years. Exclusives that use the systems power wont be out for a long time and 3rd party titles will still be ps360 ports.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
stopped reading at "it would be very expensive for nvidia to manufacture". now its time for a bit of a lesson in how console manufacturers work. 1) AMD will not be manufacturing the GPU for the wiiu. nintendo pay AMD for a blueprint basically. ninty then use this blueprint to tell whoever they want to manufacture it how to do it. manufacturing costs simply because its old is a non issue. 2) whatever chip is in the wiiu will not belong to AMD...it will be nintendos chip. ninty and AMD have probably been working on this chip for years but as mentioned ninty pay for the blueprint. im sure theres all sorts of agreements in the contract (like ninty cant sue AMD for making cards that do use some tech found in the wiiu GPU) but its nintys chip design to do with as they see fit. 2b) on a side note MS did licence out the GPU for the xbox1 so that design did still belong to nvidia. it caused sever headaches for MS 3) ninty and AMD are free to change, remove and add stuff as they see fit. its not going to be an off the shelf bit. ninty will have an idea of budget and capability for the chip. there is absolutely nothing stopping ninty and AMD making the GPU be more like 6 wii GPU tied together....or just like the 360 GPU but with a few more features. PC hardware can give a rough idea of what we can expect but i emphasise rough. the way the PC hardware business works does not apply to consoles. although i dont think it is less powerful...theres nothing stopping nintendo from making something thats only half way between a wii and a PS3. a new console is a clean slate and the manufacturer can do what they want.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
It will be more powerful but that wont be utilized for years. Exclusives that use the systems power wont be out for a long time and 3rd party titles will still be ps360 ports.Xplode_games
Yea, it will be interesting to see if the 3rd party developers make the Wii U version better than the 360/PS3 or because of developmental cost they will all be the same, kind of like now.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Post the Wii-U specs, then we can discuss hardware.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

Post the Wii-U specs, then we can discuss hardware.

Mystic-G

I have a feeling that even Nintendo doesn't know the specs... as in, it's not finalized yet :P

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

stopped reading at "it would be very expensive for nvidia to manufacture". now its time for a bit of a lesson in how console manufacturers work. 1) AMD will not be manufacturing the GPU for the wiiu. nintendo pay AMD for a blueprint basically. ninty then use this blueprint to tell whoever they want to manufacture it how to do it. manufacturing costs simply because its old is a non issue. 2) whatever chip is in the wiiu will not belong to AMD...it will be nintendos chip. ninty and AMD have probably been working on this chip for years but as mentioned ninty pay for the blueprint. im sure theres all sorts of agreements in the contract (like ninty cant sue AMD for making cards that do use some tech found in the wiiu GPU) but its nintys chip design to do with as they see fit. 2b) on a side note MS did licence out the GPU for the xbox1 so that design did still belong to nvidia. it caused sever headaches for MS 3) ninty and AMD are free to change, remove and add stuff as they see fit. its not going to be an off the shelf bit. ninty will have an idea of budget and capability for the chip. there is absolutely nothing stopping ninty and AMD making the GPU be more like 6 wii GPU tied together....or just like the 360 GPU but with a few more features. PC hardware can give a rough idea of what we can expect but i emphasise rough. the way the PC hardware business works does not apply to consoles. although i dont think it is less powerful...theres nothing stopping nintendo from making something thats only half way between a wii and a PS3. a new console is a clean slate and the manufacturer can do what they want.osan0

Some of this is wrong.

Where are nintendo's sub 32 nano-meter production lines? I'm pretty sure they don't have any, but AMD does. So does intel.

AMD will likely engineer and produce the required chips, if they use technology that only PC hardware manufacturers can output readily.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Some of this is wrong.

Where are nintendo's sub 32 nano-meter production lines? I'm pretty sure they don't have any, but AMD does. So does intel.

AMD will likely engineer and produce the required chips, if they use technology that only PC hardware manufacturers can output readily.

Kinthalis

AMD doesn't fab their GPU's, TSMC does.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

The Wii was 'next gen'. It's barely has more power than the original xbox.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I honestly couldn't care less. As long as it can pull off an HD resolution at a constant 60 fps then I will be satisfied. I buy gaming consoles for a CONSOLE-oriented experience. If I wanted a PC, I'd buy one (which I can hopefully do soon). The fact Sony and Microsoft are trying so hard to turn their consoles into PC's makes me uninterested in owning them. That is what I find funny about cows and lemmings. They knock the Wii U for not being a top-of-the-line powerhouse, but chances are both Sony and Microsoft are going to take notes from the Wii and cut back on power in order to generate greater profits from the start. Unless they really are that dumb and go into next-gen selling at a loss again.
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
There is no definition for next-gen power yet. None of us know how powerful the NextBox or Playstation 4 will be. They can either reuse parts from their previous console or use cheaper parts that will turn out a better profit but be weaker. The Next Box and PlayStation 4 could possibly be marginally more powerful then the Wii U, who knows.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Some of this is wrong.

Teufelhuhn

I thought AMD bought them? Maybe I'm thinking of Global Foundries, doesn't AMD own them?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Some of this is wrong.

Kinthalis

I thought AMD bought them? Maybe I'm thinking of Global Foundries, doesn't AMD own them?

Yes, AMD is parent and I think Global Foundries produces the chips for AMD.

jimmarko21876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimmarko21876
Member since 2004 • 429 Posts
Your theory would work if Nintendo didn't already push out the same/similar hardware from the Gamecube to the Wii. Nintendo does things the way they see fit. Just because the hardware is available doesn't mean they will use it. If what you are saying is fact then the Wii should be more powerful than the 360 or at least on par.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 osan0

[QUOTE="osan0"]stopped reading at "it would be very expensive for nvidia to manufacture". now its time for a bit of a lesson in how console manufacturers work. 1) AMD will not be manufacturing the GPU for the wiiu. nintendo pay AMD for a blueprint basically. ninty then use this blueprint to tell whoever they want to manufacture it how to do it. manufacturing costs simply because its old is a non issue. 2) whatever chip is in the wiiu will not belong to AMD...it will be nintendos chip. ninty and AMD have probably been working on this chip for years but as mentioned ninty pay for the blueprint. im sure theres all sorts of agreements in the contract (like ninty cant sue AMD for making cards that do use some tech found in the wiiu GPU) but its nintys chip design to do with as they see fit. 2b) on a side note MS did licence out the GPU for the xbox1 so that design did still belong to nvidia. it caused sever headaches for MS 3) ninty and AMD are free to change, remove and add stuff as they see fit. its not going to be an off the shelf bit. ninty will have an idea of budget and capability for the chip. there is absolutely nothing stopping ninty and AMD making the GPU be more like 6 wii GPU tied together....or just like the 360 GPU but with a few more features. PC hardware can give a rough idea of what we can expect but i emphasise rough. the way the PC hardware business works does not apply to consoles. although i dont think it is less powerful...theres nothing stopping nintendo from making something thats only half way between a wii and a PS3. a new console is a clean slate and the manufacturer can do what they want.Kinthalis

Some of this is wrong.

why do nintendo need 32NM production lines? they could very well be using an older production process. the 4800 series was built using 55nm. the CPU is supposedly using 45nm processes. there are assumptions that ninty will look to go down but there just that...assumptions. we could very well be looking at a console built using 45nm processes instead. i know of the upside of smaller proceses of course (cheaper per unit, runs cooler and all that good stuff) but ninty mayt not care. if 45NM or 55NM is good enough for them and they get a good deal somewhere then 45nm or more it is. ...or they may go to 32nm or 28nm...who knows? dont assume there going to go for the latest and greatest production process though simply because it exists. the relationship between ninty and AMD is more like companies that work with ARM (this is the same for all console manufacturers). ARM doesnt manufacture a thing...they design essentially blueprints for processors and companies licence these blueprints. ninty dont go to AMD because there looking for someone to manufacture chips for them (they can do that themselves)....they go to AMD because they dont know the first thing about designing a GPU themselves. to be more specific they go to AMD becuase AMD own artX who have worked with nintendo on GPUs for a very very long time. they may of course also have AMD manufacture the chips if theres a good deal for ninty in that also (i think IBM made the first few batches of CPUs for the wii for example). but dont assume that just because thats the way it works on PCs that its the way itll work on consoles also.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I honestly couldn't care less. As long as it can pull off an HD resolution at a constant 60 fps then I will be satisfied. I buy gaming consoles for a CONSOLE-oriented experience. If I wanted a PC, I'd buy one (which I can hopefully do soon). The fact Sony and Microsoft are trying so hard to turn their consoles into PC's makes me uninterested in owning them. That is what I find funny about cows and lemmings. They knock the Wii U for not being a top-of-the-line powerhouse, but chances are both Sony and Microsoft are going to take notes from the Wii and cut back on power in order to generate greater profits from the start. Unless they really are that dumb and go into next-gen selling at a loss again.

then prepare to be dissapointed. i dont see it doing 60FPS consistently....not unless ninty make it a requirement. not necessarily because the hardware is not up to it (hell the PS3, 360 and wii can do 60FPS and the 360 and PS3 can do it while at 720P) but because devs will give priority to the pretties. all consoles have a wall at the end of the day.
Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

Level 4 hmmmm

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I honestly couldn't care less. As long as it can pull off an HD resolution at a constant 60 fps then I will be satisfied. I buy gaming consoles for a CONSOLE-oriented experience. If I wanted a PC, I'd buy one (which I can hopefully do soon). The fact Sony and Microsoft are trying so hard to turn their consoles into PC's makes me uninterested in owning them. That is what I find funny about cows and lemmings. They knock the Wii U for not being a top-of-the-line powerhouse, but chances are both Sony and Microsoft are going to take notes from the Wii and cut back on power in order to generate greater profits from the start. Unless they really are that dumb and go into next-gen selling at a loss again.osan0
then prepare to be dissapointed. i dont see it doing 60FPS consistently....not unless ninty make it a requirement. not necessarily because the hardware is not up to it (hell the PS3, 360 and wii can do 60FPS and the 360 and PS3 can do it while at 720P) but because devs will give priority to the pretties. all consoles have a wall at the end of the day.

Most if not all of Nintendo's games will be at 60 FPS because most of Nintendo's games this gen ran at 60 FPS.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

I am knowledgeable about PC hardware.

Xplode_games

This guy is an expert

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Does it really matter how much more powerful the Wii U is? The multiplatform games will look pretty much the same, just like they do with PC and the HD twins.