If you could only own one console what would it be?

• 97 results
blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll If you could only own one console what would it be? (102 votes)

Playstation 5 46%
Xbox (Series X, S, X, whatever other letters they've got) 35%
Nintendo Switch 19%

Okay why am I starting this poll? Well I just got a really good PC to go with my not quite as good one and a few weeks ago managed to get a Playstation 5. The perfect combo some people might think and for me personally, it is.

But let's say I had no PC and could only own one console. Let's bear in mind that I just teased poor little Antwan3K mercilessly about Microsoft's pathetic line-up of first party games and it is pretty grim but if I could only buy one console I wouldn't even have to think about it: Series X all the way.

For me Gamepass is just too good a proposition to miss out on. I have it on PC but if I didn't have a PC I would want it on console and Sony's exclusives aren't personally enough for me to turn GP down. Also I would want to know absolutely for sure that if Elder Scrolls 6 turns up I don't have to worry about if I'll be able to play it or not.

So what's your desert island current gen console SW? Feel free to discuss, debate and generally tear each other to shreds while we endeavour to name the most coveted videogame console according to the sages of SW.

• 
JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

PS5 gets way more games that I like compared to xbox. Switch doesnt have enough 3rd party support to be a solo console.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

Everyone here knows I'm all about PC and being a Pro PC, no console could ever replace it, no matter how good of those exclusives you have, PC is like being in heaven lol. But yes, if I had to pick which console to have and there could only be 1, its Nintendo Switch for me, no more, no less. Nintendo will always be the king of exclusives in my eyes and not to mention the Switch is a portability device meaning I can take it anywhere I use the feature way more so than the rest of SW users say they don't use it but I do.

Nintendo Switch gets my vote and with PC/Switch being the best combo, you won't go hungry for games at all. To me, both PS5 & XSX are just for show.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Currently it would be a PS5 without question. In 2024+ that could change if Microsoft's 23 studios start delivering bangers.

But PC + PS5 is indeed the ultimate gaming combo.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

PS5

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

Definitely not Switch, unless you like Nintendo droughts and ports.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8046 Posts

Even though TC apparently had to go make a therapy thread after owning himself pretty hard elsewhere, i'd have to agree with his assessment here..

Game Pass, in it's current state, is just a great value that's difficult to ignore.. the promise of brand new titles launching consistently into a relatively low cost subscription service is hard to beat especially when those games can be $60+ individually..

Nintendo has top tier exclusives but you'd simply be missing out on too many 3rd party titles for my tastes.. plus their online service is laughable compared to other platforms and i prefer online gaming..

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag

My reaction to people voting for Switch

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Still PS5. E3 didn't change that one iota.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

With my trusty PC ..... I only have a Switch.

In a bizzaro world that I would never live in, where I cant have a PC for some unholy reason, then I'm going for Xbox because 1st party Bethesda Game Studio games give me life.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Antwan3K

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

for once, we completely agree..

the Switch is amazing as a secondary device but i couldn't imagine being limited to just that library of games alone.. nearly every new major title is PC, PlayStation, and Xbox..

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

Even though TC apparently had to go make a therapy thread after owning himself pretty hard elsewhere, i'd have to agree with his assessment here..

Game Pass, in it's current state, is just a great value that's difficult to ignore.. the promise of brand new titles launching consistently into a relatively low cost subscription service is hard to beat especially when those games can be $60+ individually..

Nintendo has top tier exclusives but you'd simply be missing out on too many 3rd party titles for my tastes.. plus their online service is laughable compared to other platforms and i prefer online gaming..

Dude you got wrecked and have already been warned about derailing (same as me) let's leave it there and move on. Thanks.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@R4gn4r0k said:

Definitely not Switch, unless you like Nintendo droughts and ports.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons keeps me busy every without a single drought...that is until something something comes to Switch. But yeah, if one doesn't care for Nintendo exclusives, don't get the Switch, get PS5 instead.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blueinheaven

@enzyme36 said:

With my trusty PC ..... I only have a Switch.

In a bizzaro world that I would never live in, where I cant have a PC for some unholy reason, then I'm going for Xbox because 1st party Bethesda Game Studio games give me life.

Yep it's not a world I'd want to live in but Elder Scrolls 6 is a game I simply have to play. It might be what swings everything in MS's favour later in the gen if it's Xbox exclusive.

Fortunately we will both have mods to fix Bethesda's inevitable mess :)

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Right now with the games available, Nintendo Switch. PS5 needs more JRPG exclusives

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Antwan3K

@blueinheaven said:

Dude you got wrecked and have already been warned about derailing (same as me) let's leave it there and move on. Thanks.

still parading your opinions as facts, huh.. good to see you're consistent..

and I'm not the one who immediately made a therapy thread.. that's all anyone needs to know really..

now get back on-topic please, Thanks.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Oh geez! Just shoot me, or at least wipe my memory of playing on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Switch because of the games and the agility of the system.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blueinheaven

@Antwan3K said:
@blueinheaven said:

still parading your opinions as facts, huh.. good to see you're consistent..

and I'm not the one who immediately made a therapy thread.. that's all anyone needs to know really..

now get back on-topic please, Thanks.

A therapy thread? Where I choose Series X as the best console if you only can own one? Please GTFO you're becoming ridiculous.

I can see it's going to take another warning from the mods to calm you down. Hopefully it comes before you drown this thread in your spam.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NathanDrakeSwag

@shadyacshuns said:

Switch because of the games and the agility of the system.

What games? Warioware and a $60 Metroid side scroller?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

If I'm allowed to have my PC, then Switch. If I'm not, then a PS5 (if I could find one to buy)

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts

Switch because their games genuinely make me happy and I enjoy them. I can't see my life without Nintendo games and that's the honest truth.

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Meh, I can't see myself in gaming without Nintendo games or a PC. I'm being honest.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Antwan3K

@blueinheaven said:

A therapy thread? Where I choose Series X as the best console if you only can own one? Please GTFO you're becoming ridiculous.

I can see it's going to take another warning from the mods to calm you down. Hopefully it comes before you drown this thread in your spam.

you mentioned me in your OP.. you felt the need to claim i was "wrecked" in your very next post.. and now you're still at it..

this is not only a therapy thread, but quite possibly could be viewed as a response thread.. please get back on topic before the mods lock this topic..

Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

PS5 has all relevant third party games and Sony's first party already proved their value, so yeah.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@Antwan3K: dude, this is embarrassing. Just move on and don't fall for the OP's bait. The thread is not about your being owned elsewhere. Go take this on the private messages for once.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blueinheaven

@Antwan3K said:
@blueinheaven said:

you mentioned me in your OP.. you felt the need to claim i was "wrecked" in your very next post.. and now you're still at it..

this is not only a therapy thread, but quite possibly could be viewed as a response thread.. please get back on topic before the mods lock this topic..

Thanks.

Therapy? Exactly what you need dude. You have mental health issues. Clearly nobody's going to stop you spamming everywhere you seem absolutely desperate for attention.

Sad.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Antwan3K

@blueinheaven: let it go man.. it's getting obviously desperate at this point and you're just making it worse..

trying to get back on-topic again, considering Game Pass streaming is coming to browsers and apps, i wonder does that open up the ability to get another console instead for some folks?.. i'd rather have the native experience on Series consoles though

instead of derailing your own thread, would streaming be a viable option for you?..

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Antwan3K

@wonderwinner: my name was mentioned in the OP by TC.. you should direct your concerns there..

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blueinheaven

@Antwan3K said:

@blueinheaven: let it go man.. it's getting obviously desperate at this point and you're just making it worse..

trying to get back on-topic again, considering Game Pass streaming is coming to browsers and apps, i wonder does that open up the ability to get another console instead for some folks?.. i'd rather have the native experience on Series consoles though

I'm not a fan of streaming. If I couldn't have GP on a PC or a console I wouldn't want it. Useful for people who do I suppose but I want everything on a big screen.

Except Dragon Age Origins which looks like ass on my 4K TV (text is way too small) so I have to plug my new PC into my 1440p monitor downstairs. 27 inch monitor is as low as I go lol, no phones or tablets for me.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

That's a real tough one... part of me says my Series X, mainly because of Gamepass. But then I love my Switch too, especially because it's portable.

Flip a coin.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#30  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Without a PC and only being able to have one console... I would go with the Series X. Game Pass really is huge and Series X has the best specs. It would suck to miss out on exclusives from either side though.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blueinheaven

@hrt_rulz01 said:

That's a real tough one... part of me says my Series X, mainly because of Gamepass. But then I love my Switch too, especially because it's portable.

Flip a coin.

I still need to get a Switch one of these days just to play the Xenoblade games. Huge JRPG series that I haven't played, that kind of thing shouldn't be allowed lol.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blueinheaven

@Antwan3K said:

@wonderwinner: my name was mentioned in the OP by TC.. you should direct your concerns there..

In retrospect I shouldn't have done that. I apologise.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@luxuryheart said:

Switch because their games genuinely make me happy and I enjoy them. I can't see my life without Nintendo games and that's the honest truth.

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Meh, I can't see myself in gaming without Nintendo games or a PC. I'm being honest.

Sorry NathanDrake, but I agree with with Luxuryheart that I find it hard to go without a single Nintendo game and not to mention, Sony still supporting PS4, so not like I'm gonna miss out PS5 exclusives when they are being treated cross-gen.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

PC, but if that wasn't an option.

PS5 now, but that may change once MS starts releasing games from all of their studios.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

My thoughts on anything Sony:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

I think Xbox. PlayStation and Nintendo games don't appeal to me that much. And Gamepass is where I'm at when it comes to games. Don't want to buy that many these days.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blueinheaven

@BassMan said:

Without a PC and only being able to have one console... I would go with the Series X. Game Pass really is huge and Series X has the best specs. It would suck to miss out on exclusives from either side though.

That's why I went with PC and PS5. If I'm honest though, I haven't turned my PS5 on much for a while. I'm actually using it as a 4K bluray player.

But yes, if you're console only you probably need both. It's kind of annoying, PS3 and 360 both had literally tons of exclusives it was really worth buying both. PS4 and Xbox One not so much, and this gen even less so but there's still that 'missing out' feeling if you don't have both.

The upside I suppose is both consoles are now 60fps capable, or at least have that option in most games.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#38  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

The upside I suppose is both consoles are now 60fps capable, or at least have that option in most games.

That is what I have been pushing for all these years. 30fps is unacceptable. Now I don't have to shit on consoles as much.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I guess PS5? If they're in short demand I could sell it for a tidy sum.

Honestly I probably wouldn't even bother. I made that mistake once and bought a PS4; it's not bad, mind you, it's just not good enough to steal me away from PC. They're going to have to do better than God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and Dragon Quest to get my attention.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

Series X, there's no game pass on PS5

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

PS5, alongside my PC.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Antwan3K

@blueinheaven said:

I'm not a fan of streaming. If I couldn't have GP on a PC or a console I wouldn't want it. Useful for people who do I suppose but I want everything on a big screen.

Except Dragon Age Origins which looks like ass on my 4K TV (text is way too small) so I have to plug my new PC into my 1440p monitor downstairs. 27 inch monitor is as low as I go lol, no phones or tablets for me.

i'm not the biggest fan of streaming either but you'd be surprised how good these games run on phones.. i can literally play a console title on my phone while in any given waiting room and have that progress carry over to my home console or PC .. this is especially great with touch control friendly games like Dragon Quest XI or Minecraft Dungeons.. you should definitely give it a try if you haven't, you may be surprised..

I was kind of posing the question because if a hybrid like the Switch gets a Game Pass streaming app, that could be one hell of a combo..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

The Switch.

What can i say, i am an on-the-bus gamer.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Antwan3K
@blueinheaven said:
@Antwan3K said:

In retrospect I shouldn't have done that. I apologise.

no worries, things definitely got out of hand and i had my faults there too.. apologies as well..

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blueinheaven

@Antwan3K said:
@blueinheaven said:

i'm not the biggest fan of streaming either but you'd be surprised how good these games run on phones.. i can literally play a console title on my phone while in any given waiting room and have that progress carry over to my home console or PC .. this is especially great with touch control friendly games like Dragon Quest XI or Minecraft Dungeons.. you should definitely give it a try if you haven't, you may be surprised..

I was kind of posing the question because if a hybrid like the Switch gets a Game Pass streaming app, that could be one hell of a combo..

My wife plays everything on her phone or tablet and I can never get my head round how she plays games on screens that small. I hate touch pads as well, on laptops too.

Clunky keyboards (I touch type) and big screens are where it's at for me I'll never be a small screen convert. I can see how a lot of people will be totally into it though, it's just not for me.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

If I didn't have a PC it would definitely be Series X.

As I've said before I bought both of my nephews a Series S. Gamepass is just too good to pass up

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Antwan3K

@blueinheaven said:

My wife plays everything on her phone or tablet and I can never get my head round how she plays games on screens that small. I hate touch pads as well, on laptops too.

Clunky keyboards (I touch type) and big screens are where it's at for me I'll never be a small screen convert. I can see how a lot of people will be totally into it though, it's just not for me.

fair enough and options are great.. 😎👍 now more than ever, there's something for everyone..

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blueinheaven

@wonderwinner said:

Lemmings are coming in full force 🤣

You're free to vote for PS5.

hardwenzen