If you could go back in time and stop one thing from happening in gaming history, what would it be?

• 65 results
AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1326 Posts

I would also go back in time to around 2004 and make sure that Gamespot and IGN never updated their boards or websites lol

The constant updates killed all the traffic to these sites and now system Wars is a barren wasteland of the same 12 users yelling at each other LOL

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5801 Posts

@ajstyles: Your trolling went full derp, you never go full derp!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#53  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26983 Posts

I would stop Activision from making a sequel to Modern Warfare 2007.

I think FPS games are still recovering from that mistake. And Activision has dumped tons of IP's because of it. It's one of those few moments in gaming that dragged down a very popular genre for over a decade.

Or I'd stop Blizzard from falling into Activision's hands.

Can't I stop like 10 things? Do I have to pick one? Blizzard was maybe my number 1 favorite dev. I used to think about getting a Blizzard tattoo. Now they are next to nothing. I wouldn't even pay attention if they announced a new title. I guess I pick that one.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 24897 Posts
@ajstyles said:

I would also go back in time to around 2004 and make sure that Gamespot and IGN never updated their boards or websites lol

The constant updates killed all the traffic to these sites and now system Wars is a barren wasteland of the same 12 users yelling at each other LOL

lol why waste it on something like that?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#55  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 29710 Posts

Honestly i think modern gaming couldn't have been any better that it is. Indies have been bringing back tons of classic genres; AAAs finally look like Pixar movies, are massive, and in general super polished; VR is more immersive than my most optimistic predictions, we have more genres and sub-genres than ever before, prices and constant sales for all pockets, etc...

The only thing i would change in gaming these days is the community, who is all about hate, and doesn't see to realise how lucky they are to have so much for granted.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5031 Posts

@dimebag667: same here. Internet provided fun multiplayer experiences....but it is also the same reason we have microtransactions, on-disc dlcs, day 1 patches, loot boxes, etc. I was happy without online multiplayer gaming back in the 90s and I would be okay going back to those days if it meant I didn't have to deal with the mentioned issues ever again.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 645 Posts

I would kill Horse Armor. That was probably the most influential scheme in cutting content from the base game to sell later in an overpriced micro-transaction, and paved the way for the likes of EA and Capcom to nickel-and-dime their customers with held-back content. Yeah, in hindsight it’s ultimately consumers fault for buying into Bethesda’s greed anyways, but without the success of horse armor I bet we’d get a lot more feature-complete games on launch.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 645 Posts

Also though it ended up less successful and received a proper backlash, Bethesda tried their hand at monetizing modders for the company’s own personal gain. They truly are one of the boldest pioneers in anti-consumer tactics.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#59 with_teeth26  Online
Member since 2007 • 9786 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

The ability to purchase loot boxes with real world money.

I would expand this to microtransactions in general, though that is tough to nail down to one particular thing you can stop from happening

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5443 Posts

March into SEGA of Japan via 1990, show them a copy of the Sonic the Hedgehog movie and hopefully convince them to stop all the evil before it starts.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 440 Posts

@zaryia said:

PC

Then how devs will make games for consoles

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#62 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2253 Posts

Not that I'd stop the things I'll be mentioning but I'd want for Kingdom Hearts 3 to be released earlier on then when we got it and be even better than 2. I'm not a huge fan of the series but in my opinion 3 was very rushed. Not the type of game most people waited years for were expecting I'd say. No Final Fantasy characters, all the worlds were revealed before release, etc.

I'd also want to see a continuation of the Klonoa games. As well as English localisations for the PS1 Popolocrois games instead of just being exclusively available in Japan. The PSP game could still exist though.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 545 Posts

I would convince Nintendo to not be lazy hardware devs after the Gamecube era. They would continue pushing hardware tech with real consoles and stay 1:1 competitive with Sony and Microsoft for all third-party titles. There would not be any major downgrades like we have now.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19708 Posts

@ajstyles said:

I would have cancelled Zelda and made sure the franchise never existed.

The single most overrated franchise in gaming history by fanboy nerds. It is truly sickening.

To this day they are still handing out 10/10’s to ports of Zelda game boy games. It’s one of the worst Zelda games made....yet IGN couldn’t give it lower than a 9.4? LOL 😂

Oh man, you read all the reviews and they even admit the game isn’t very good, but they can’t stop fanboying and still give it 9+ scores.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7132 Posts

Soulsborne from becoming a thing