If XCloud and Gamepass fail will Microsoft pull out of the Console business?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Say nobody wants xcloud and only a few people sub to gamepass. Would this cause microsoft to go bankrupt in the gaming space and bow out? If so what happens to xbox one and all those people that bought their products?

I'm a huge gamer I bought xbox one pretty early on and hated it. I'm not buying any xcloud stuff nor am i subbed to gamepass nor will I ever be.

This is huge when a big gamer like me "a big xbox gamer" and im saying no to xcloud and gamepass as well future crazy xbox endeavours like the power of cloud in crackdown 3, always online, kinect, all this shit happened before.

XCLOUD/Gamepass could be the end of xbox for traditionalists who like to buy and own there games and don't want to subscribe to a service for a game. I'm one of them im one of those xbox fans whos traditionalist so where does that leave me out in the cold.

Who knows how much xcloud costs to operate and gamepass to operate if it flops the CEO might say WERE DONE with gaming since he loves the cloud and stuff.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It looks like they're giving up on selling hardware by putting GP on Switch.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

You would think that in a multitude of paragraphs, you'd make a semblance of sense... No.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7210 Posts

Whilst they earn Profits they won't care if you can play their games on a microwave. It seems clear as day they want everything played everywhere.

If xcloud fails it would put them in a very compromising position.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-60bf765068a74
@robert_sparkes said:

Whilst they earn Profits they won't care if you can play their games on a microwave. It seems clear as day they want everything played everywhere.

Well then what if the PS5 dominates another generation and sony says they don't want xbox gamepass or anything xbox on it. Microsoft would fail another generation to sony.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Well then what if the PS5 dominates another generation and sony says they don't want xbox gamepass or anything xbox on it. Microsoft would fail another generation to sony.

If we determine by hardware sales, then possibly. If we determine by profit, then that may be entirely different.

MS have been moving in this direction for a while.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@ProtossRushX:

@ProtossRushX said:
@robert_sparkes said:

Microsoft gives no shit about Sony, they are small userbase compared to the 2 -4 Billion users in the future that can access the Xbox platform anywhere and on anything. IF Sony remains a traditionalist company, then they are guaranteed to be left behind by the industry.

If Microsoft has over 150 Million Xbox users via Consoles/XCloud over Sony's 100 Million sole PS5 sales. Developers will likely pick Xbox's platform since there are more users overall and more potential in new users.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15895 Posts

Xcloud will still exist. If microsoft really wants to spit on Sony they will partner up with nintendo and release their xcloud services there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74
@sakaixx said:

Xcloud will still exist. If microsoft really wants to spit on Sony they will partner up with nintendo and release their xcloud services there.

dude **** xcloud i want to own my games I have a COLLECTION!

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Daniel_Su123
@ProtossRushX said:
@sakaixx said:

XCloud allows you to play games that you purchased and games from Game Pass. The collection is still there, the only difference being that all Xbox games are streamable everywhere.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44093 Posts

I don’t know, I mean I guess they might but as long as they put out a console with games that interest me then I hope they stay in the console market for a long time.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:
@sakaixx said:

Does it take up most of your parent's basement or all of it?

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

Nah. The only time Xbox will ever be threatened is if Microsoft's profits ever slip. If Xbox is still reporting player counts over actual money being made by that time, then you can worry. As long as they have the excess cash, they'll stay in there purely out of pride.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Would you stop making threads?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@MonsieurX: That'd be nice... he's beyond obsessed!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

If, If, IF and more ifs.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Gamepass is a great deal and the service is great, tack on Xcloud and its even better. Got a year at $70 during black friday. Already played enough games worth over $1,000 which wouldn't be doable without GamePass.

In time, all the new studios will be releasing games that were in the works before MS acquired them. Then MS is still looking at more studios and 3rd party support has been pretty good.

You get a good deal on Gamepass, you'll be playing more games while saving some serious money. I understand if you like paying for physical and not playing a lot but for people who like variety and playing a lot , its a pretty good service with some solid games and games that are good but you wouldn't purchase cause of limited funds.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3041 Posts

@BigBadBully: What's the breakdown on payment for the people making these games? Don't most artists on Spotify get screwed?

I can't deny the value is amazing... but it's too good. If we want good products, we need to pay for it. Good creators aren't going to work for free. And that's why we have micro transactions, loot boxes, and games as services...no one wants to pay to play.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Gamepass sucks lol.

I tried it out last month.

The only game worth playing was Forza Horizon 4.

The rest of the games were really old, bad or indie trash. The value is terrible.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Man, sony fanboys sure are paranoid over anything Xbox related.

Jealousy is a strange and mighty beast.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5242 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Man, sony fanboys sure are paranoid over anything Xbox related.

Jealousy is a strange and mighty beast.

Why do fanboys worship a piece of plastic that is here today, gone tomorrow?

Jealousy is a green monster.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Possibly. But I’m of the mind that the exit strategy is to spin off the division as opposed to shutting it down.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

If Sony Fan weren’t salty they would be Nintendo fans.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

@kuu2 said:

If Sony Fan weren’t salty they would be Nintendo fans.

If xbox fans weren't gullible they would fans of a better game company than MS.

Oopse, lol needed to correct one part.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

@dimebag667: unsure but the price for a game service costs more, advertising etc... Plus people will still purchase physical and it should help a bit for constant cash flow. Music streaming services are pretty cheap and depends on the artist/band in how crappy the deal is with management/publisher(why bands do more touring and vip package deals). Then look at the reach of GamePass with Xcloud, MS is pretty much handling the scaling for smaller developers to reach more platforms where developers dont have to worry, just make a game put it on gamepass or not. MS also has a team PlayFab whom they acquired a year or so ago that specializes in cloud development who basically helps developers utilize tools/assets with game development. MS is going all in to create games as first party and also supporting 3rd party developers/studios, gaming in general like we saw with xbox adaptive controller.

Its not a big deal for MS 1st Party as there under the umbrella. 3rd Party games will still be on for a limited time and then shuffle out, might not make sense but recently Ashen and Mutant Year Zero have been in awhile. Next up is Alien Isolation, so maybe 3rd party might see a decline in sales and just go to Gamepass at that point.

Overall i think the ability of MS to get games out to multiple platforms for developers is enticing and may even help curb lost sales due to second hand/trade-ins.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I hope the whole industry goes the way of GamePass.

Let people buy for full price too. Who cares?

And quit freaking out about cloud services. Local hardware isn't going away any time soon.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3041 Posts

@BigBadBully: I'm undeniably in the non-streaming camp, but even I know that I toot that horn a little too hard sometimes. In a perfect world we could at least have both options, but I fear we're walking down a weak path.

Developers not having to deal with GameStop is the main upside that I see from this.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

First off MS is not going to release Game Pass on Play Station because PS is Xbox's direct competitor and doing so would destroy the Xbox brand and any brand loyalty they've built up over the years. People trying to suggest that GP will release on PS are having more Fanboy delusions.

If MS is stupid enough to try to release GP for Play Station MS should pretty much kiss Xbox good bye...

GP will go to PC and mobile platforms like the Switch.

MS still releases every single game the same way Sony does through retail and digital means.

Game Pass is an alternative and even a supplement to buying retail or digital not the replacement strategy for it.

It is probably already too late for Game Pass to fail as it is already successful and the future is only looking better than the present.

X-Cloud could how ever fail but considering GP will be on XC I doubt it fails though it might take some time to get any substantial market penetration.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

You guys are in a for a rude awakening if you think the old system war criteria is console sales going forward. It's going to all about active users and profits. Apple, Google, Amazon and many more all operate the same way.

Sony Fanboys are the only ones i ever see wishing a gaming company would go under.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:
@robert_sparkes said:

I can't see a scenario where PS5 beats Switch and the next Xbox combined. Also, the "only first place is a success" mentality is dumb.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Daniel_Su123

@the-a-baum: I think everybody is expecting Sony to follow suit with Microsoft, Google, Amazon and release their games on all platforms.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The-A-Baum

@daniel_su123 said:

@the-a-baum: I think everybody is expecting Sony to follow suit with Microsoft, Google, Amazon and release their games on all platforms.

They are dude, they had job listings posted months ago to do just that. Check my post history you should be able to find it. Never mind here is a link https://ticgamesnetwork.com/platforms/playstation/job-posting-gives-a-glimpse-of-sonys-plan-to-put-playstation-now-games-on-any-device/

If they try and go it alone could be very big problems for them. And no I am not toxic and wish them to go away. They could team with Google or Amazon and be a juggernaut! Also rumors of them teaming with Verizon, that reportedly can already run the latest GoW and UC4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

@the-a-baum: Sony already charging more than everyone else, and they ain't even doing day and date. I doubt Sony will keep up the flow they've had. Look at this long gap between Spider-Man and Days Gone, you keep that up, and a game bombs, shit is gonna hit a fan, and I bet Sony wishes they had that safety net EA and Xbox has, all they have to do is revamp PS Now and nothing will stop PS5.

As for the doom of traditional consoles from Xbox, I think that its over already, X is premium console basically hybrid with PC. Next gen it will likely be more PC than console. I imagine the next Xbox won't outsell Switch or PS5, but I just can't imagine that it sells less than Xbox One, who's been gimping around on 1 leg this whole time and everyone hates them. What will happen when they're not a gimp anymore and people actually tolerate them.

Lack of full exclusives won't kill Xbox consoles, they been handing on PC copies of games day and date for 2 years now and Xbox One still chugging along, so there will always be a market. Shitty consoles with bad marketing will kill Xbox consoles faster.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The-A-Baum

@saltslasher: Don't think we will see a "Shitty Console" ever again from Xbox. They are the console with "Options" now.

Good point on the less games and longer dev time. If it bombs would be terrible for Sony.

It's never going to mean as much as who sold the most consoles ever again. Pretty weird right?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7210 Posts

Xbox will still be in the console market they wouldn't have acquired the new studios if they were making an exit. I'm convinced there will be a cheaper streaming device with the gamepass model and a more powerful system.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The-A-Baum

They are not leaving. They are making Billions off gaming , and just invested Billions back into it.

Why are you Cows so insecure? I really don't get it!

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

No because of several reasons...

1. That is an extreme consequence of a relatively minor project...

2. There's not enough time for them to fail currently anyway, it would have to take several years is my guess to really reach that state, and by that time MS could have had a whl whole vareity of new solutions and stuff.

3. I just don't htink the issues in either situation are all that bad, I thinkt eh the future is bright quite simply.

Also kinda this...

"They are not leaving. They are making Billions off gaming , and just invested Billions back into it.

Why are you Cows so insecure? I really don't get it!" from above.