If Wii comes into 3rd place again what should Nintendo do?:

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PusherT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PusherT
Member since 2004 • 11829 Posts
There a very real possiblity that Wii can be 3rd place again and lose even more "marketshare" to Sony/MS. Many of the Sheep here seem to be in denial that the "Wii" can flop and Flop hard (same as PS3). Nintendo has made such promises before with Gamecube  ( GC was voted #1 console E3 2000). So what does Nintedo do if the experiment Flops?
woohooforme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 woohooforme
Member since 2005 • 2664 Posts
I don't care what they do, I'll have a Wii. :D
blackredblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blackredblack
Member since 2005 • 11007 Posts
I say that Nintendo will easily be in dead last again. They just have no chance. I think they will probably make games for every platform like Sega. lol
IAmRodyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IAmRodyle
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts
They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts

Being third in marketshare does not equal a flop, necessarily. Especially if the overall market grows. I'm expecting the Wii to do poorly in North America and Europe, but it will still help Nintendo grow their business and turn a large profit. I predict you'll see an even more revolutionary console for generation #6 that won't do all that well that their competitors will incorporate into their systems.

The cycle will continue as long as Nintendo turns a profit, and they've managed to, even though they're in "third place" as you put it.

PusherT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PusherT

They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. IAmRodyle
This has been going since 1996 right, you knew that right?

Even worst Nintendo let a newbie in MS into the industry and beat them as well.

Going from 60 million (SNES)- 35million (N64)- 20 million(GC) is not healthybusiness growth

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
it's not like they're really out anything if it flops;

they spent pennies developing it.
they're not loosing money on sales.

and by the time 2011 rolls around they will come up w/ some other crazy idea, and media hype to sucker everybody in again, just like sony does.
AnimeHendrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AnimeHendrix
Member since 2006 • 2595 Posts
What they should do in the first place. Make new franchises. Mario and Zelda are great, sure, but after 18 or so games with Mario in them, it becomes a tad tedious. I'm not saying they should cut Mario and Zelda off, but rather just have some new options for people who are tired of them or see them as "kiddy".
Avatar image for Knight_of_Malta
Knight_of_Malta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Knight_of_Malta
Member since 2005 • 4781 Posts
It doesn't matter if Nintendo is 3rd. As long as profit comes, they will never leave. Of course, if things as the amount of consoles sold over each next gen keeps going down, it wont be good in the long run.
Yodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yodon
Member since 2005 • 1354 Posts
AS long as they make a profit it doesn't matter if they're in last place 'till the end of time.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

[QUOTE="IAmRodyle"]They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. PusherT

Going from 60 million (SNES)- 35million (N64)- 20 million(GC) is not healthybusiness growth

Calling MS a newb is so misleading it's not even funny.

big_squig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 big_squig
Member since 2005 • 6127 Posts
If they're raking lots of cash, why stop?
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I don't care what they do, I'll have a Wii. :Dwoohooforme
Yup!:)
blackredblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blackredblack

Being third in marketshare does not equal a flop, necessarily. Especially if the overall market grows. I'm expecting the Wii to do poorly in North America and Europe, but it will still help Nintendo grow their business and turn a large profit. I predict you'll see an even more revolutionary console for generation #6 that won't do all that well that their competitors will incorporate into their systems.

The cycle will continue as long as Nintendo turns a profit, and they've managed to, even though they're in "third place" as you put it.

ZebethOrZebes
Good points but I think Nintendo will have a hard time this generations. So many ppl are looking forward to PS3 and the X360 will have many upcoming games that have great sells. Nintendo will probably get neglected more than ever this time around.
PusherT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PusherT

ZebethOrZebes
the cycle can continue as long as they want because after a certain point Nintendo will become a "Niche" brand, meaning Sony/MS can in thoery share 95% of the market making Nintendo a non factorable
Knight_of_Malta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Knight_of_Malta
[QUOTE="PusherT"]

[QUOTE="IAmRodyle"]They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. -RPGamer-

Huh?

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="PusherT"]

[QUOTE="IAmRodyle"]They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. Knight_of_Malta

Even worstNintendo let a newbie in MS into the industry and beat them as well.

Huh?

:|...

PusherT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PusherT
[QUOTE="PusherT"]

[QUOTE="IAmRodyle"]They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. -RPGamer-

E3 2000 (Xbox first E3) the xbox system was the joke of the industry and many anylast predicted Sony/Nintendo would throttle them
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZebethOrZebes
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]

PusherT
the cycle can continue as long as they want because after a certain point Nintendo will become a "Niche" brand, meaning Sony/MS can in thoery share 95% of the market making Nintendo a non factorable

That's like saying that because FIFA sells more than Winning Eleven, Winning Eleven isn't worth talking about. 
Knight_of_Malta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Knight_of_Malta
[QUOTE="Knight_of_Malta"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="PusherT"]

Huh?

Are you saying they are indeed new to the business, or know what they are doing?

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ZebethOrZebes
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]

blackredblack
Good points but I think Nintendo will have a hard time this generations. So many ppl are looking forward to PS3 and the X360 will have many upcoming games that have great sells. Nintendo will probably get neglected more than ever this time around.

Well, they're not going to win over any "lemmings" or "cows", but non-gamers, lapsed-gamers, and Nintendo-gamers will be interested in it. The entertainment marketplace is bigger than MS and Sony afterall.
-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="PusherT"]

[QUOTE="IAmRodyle"]They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. PusherT

E3 2000 (Xbox first E3) the xbox system was the joke of the industry and many anylast predicted Sony/Nintendo would throttle them

Some analyst. Thinking any one can throttle MS is a joke in and of itself. Further more analysts sprout so much BS, they're just as likely to be wrong as right.

They're no newb, even as a no namer in the actual console market their name carries so much weight that it's no where close to "newbie".

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -RPGamer-
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="Knight_of_Malta"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"][QUOTE="PusherT"]

[QUOTE="IAmRodyle"]They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. Knight_of_Malta

Huh?

Are you saying they are indeed new to the business, or know what they are doing?

I'm saying they're not "newbie". Calling them that is misleading.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="hummer700"]It doesn't really matter, they're the only ones that actually make profit off of their systems

that, and i think it will do ATLEAST better then gamecube.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

Great logic...lol

Xbox...4billion loss....
What does that make 360...One Heck of a Stupid Choice. 360 is even selling worse than Xbox.
PusherT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PusherT
[QUOTE="PusherT"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]

ZebethOrZebes

That's like saying that because FIFA sells more than Winning Eleven, Winning Eleven isn't worth talking about. 

It isn't worth talking about in context to the "Market Leaders" Nintendo is heading towards Niche much like that Nokia NGage is. Nokia NGage still have customer as people still buy games for it but it niche when compared to PSP/GBA/DS.

After a certain point if the trend continues then it will be moot to mention Nintendo in the same breath as Sony/MS

PusherT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PusherT
[QUOTE="PusherT"]

[QUOTE="IAmRodyle"]They have lots of money from the handheld market. I doubt they'd leave the industry because one console doesn't sell as well as they expected. Shinoto

Great logic...lol

Xbox...4billion loss....
What does that make 360...One Heck of a Stupid Choice. 360 is even selling worse than Xbox.

were do you think those 15million previous N64 owners went ? Sony didn't lose any marketshare going from PS-PS2. Dreamcast died so that fanbase was split, but i'm willing to bet that alot of those 15million went to the Xbox (GoldenEye-Perfect Dark -Halo) perfect transistion
blackredblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blackredblack
[QUOTE="blackredblack"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]

ZebethOrZebes

Well, they're not going to win over any "lemmings" or "cows", but non-gamers, lapsed-gamers, and Nintendo-gamers will be interested in it. The entertainment marketplace is bigger than MS and Sony afterall.

When I said many ppl are looking forward to the PS3, I didn't mean fanboys. Basically casuals gamers. Nintendo Wii won't appeal to non-gamers. They will obviously think it's childish and annoying to play. That Rayman 'commercial' on G4 was just horrible. Wii will drive away so many consumers from it.
useLOGIC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 useLOGIC
Member since 2006 • 2802 Posts
... the wii should do more to attract an older audience, thats one reason the ps1 was so successul to begin with... historical precedent shows casuals don't care so much for graphics as long as the games appeal to them. Nintendo has good casual games, they should just target them towards new audiences every now and again.
Yodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Yodon
Member since 2005 • 1354 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinoto"] [QUOTE="PusherT"]

Great logic...lol

Xbox...4billion loss....

were do you think those 15million previous N64 owners went ? Sony didn't lose any marketshare going from PS-PS2. Dreamcast died so that fanbase was split, but i'm willing to bet that alot of those 15million went to the Xbox (GoldenEye-Perfect Dark -Halo) perfect transistion

Well just like they left Nintendo, they can come back. Unlike the other times there was no reason to get a nintendo since they all work the same. This time Nintendo is doing something completely different and reaching towards a broader audience. Why buy an 360 and a PS3 when they do the same thing when you could buy something different?

MasterSauron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MasterSauron
Member since 2002 • 4522 Posts
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="PusherT"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]

PusherT

It isn't worth talking about in context to the "Market Leaders" Nintendo is heading towards Niche much like that Nokia NGage is. Nokia NGage still have customer as people still buy games for it but it niche when compared to PSP/GBA/DS.

After a certain point if the trend continues then it will be moot to mention Nintendo in the same breath as Sony/MS

N-Gage has sold like 1.5 million.  Nintendo's most recent and worst outing got them 20 million.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#33 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
make another console?
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts
I believe they should keep trying until they get it right. Always be different, never be the same as your competitors.........
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="blackredblack"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]

blackredblack

When I said many ppl are looking forward to the PS3, I didn't mean fanboys. Basically casuals gamers. Nintendo Wii won't appeal tonon-gamers. They will obviously think it's childish and annoying to play. That Rayman 'commercial' on G4 was just horrible. Wii will drive away so many consumers from it.

Wii won't appeal to it's target audience you say..

Even though the DS proves you wrong. .>.>'
nytrospawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nytrospawn
Member since 2003 • 3962 Posts
They will concentrate on the DS. But they always made money on their products. Nintendo isnt retarded like Sega.
mis3ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mis3ry
Member since 2004 • 5664 Posts
I say that Nintendo will easily be in dead last again. They just have no chance. I think they will probably make games for every platform like Sega. lol blackredblack
:| Noob :roll:
FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

Nintendo is doing something quite unprecendented.  Wii will attempt to expand the gaming market and incorporate people who traditionally show little intrest in gaming.  If you've read any of my posts, you know I harbor a great skepticsm towards consoles and hardware diversity in general.  Out of all the consoles coming out, Wii intrests me the most.  I'm not intrested in Wii as a gamer but as a critic of this industry.

Wii is attempting something very risky.  I believe Wii will either experience a Roman triumph this gen or set Nintendo back by years; it depends on if they can attract the masses.  I'm especially concerned about the quality of Nintendo games if they're able to capture a larger market -- we'll see more shallow, childish, games geared towards complete casual gamers who enjoy games along the lines of Sudoku, Nintendogs, and the Sims.  If developers realize the purchasing power of this new market, real games could become increasingly rare.

I don't care who "wins' console wars; only the evolution of this archaic industry as a whole concerns me.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
If Wii flops then Nintendo should go multiplatform except for their handhelds, which will probably still be going strong for a while yet. It would be cool to see a new Metroid game with graphics that are on par with the likes of Gears of War.
big_squig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 big_squig
Member since 2005 • 6127 Posts

Nintendo is doing something quite unprecendented. Wii will attempt to expand the gaming market and incorporate people who traditionally show little intrest in gaming. If you've read any of my posts, you know I harbor a great skepticsm towards consoles and hardware diversity in general. Out of all the consoles coming out, Wii intrests me the most. I'm not intrested in Wii as a gamer but as a critic of this industry.

Wii is attempting something very risky. I believe Wii will either experience a Roman triumph this gen or set Nintendo back by years; it depends on if they can attract the masses. I'm especially concerned about the quality of Nintendo games if they're able to capture a larger market -- we'll see more shallow, childish, games geared towards complete casual gamers who enjoy games along the lines of Sudoku, Nintendogs, and the Sims. If developers realize the purchasing power of this new market, real games could become increasingly rare.

I don't care who "wins' console wars; only the evolution of this archaic industry as a whole concerns me.

FoamingPanda

My only issue with that whole post of yours is the part where you refer to cuurent gaming as real games. You speak as if some game types are factually better than others, as if simple games cannot exsist or alowed to be popular. It's kind of an elietist thought to consider your preferance in gaming superior to someone elses. Games are games,  amd ones with a low learning curve tend to be more popular, but that dosen't make them not fun, or more importantly, not games.

Other than that, totally agree.
Avatar image for mynameismatt123
mynameismatt123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 mynameismatt123
Member since 2004 • 71 Posts
Well, they will just keep trying. Believe me, Nintendo will never stop making consoles, even if they wind up in a shack in the woods forced to use old computer parts from 1993 to build their consoles by hand.
mightywarlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mightywarlord
Member since 2005 • 3174 Posts
[QUOTE="PusherT"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"]

ZebethOrZebes

If FIFA sold 20 times more than Winning Eleven, the developers of FIFA would not consider Winning Eleven a threat to their sales.  And Nintendo's still making profit, but their market share is going down exponencially.

FoamingPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FoamingPanda
Member since 2003 • 2567 Posts

You speak as if some game types are factually better than others, as if simple games cannot exsist or alowed to be popular. It's kind of an elietist thought to consider your preferance in gaming superior to someone elses.

In our society of "everyone is entitled to their own opion," we often forget that some opions are far more valuble than others.  The complete works of Shakespear are superior to the complete works of Dr. Suess; Orwell  was a better sci-fi writer than L. Ron Hubbard.  I can provide a heap of textual evidence to support my opions, enough to crush any sort of feeble retort.  Video games are no exception; I can consider a game superior because of its depth and complexity and provide sufficent evidence to thwart a rebuttle. 

I'm not suggesting that real casual games have no place in gaming; I'm simply identifying these games for what they are -- piles of simplistic, shallow, and childish casual trash.  I fear the consequences of a broad market worshiping these games.  Profit will always inspire design.  Design follows profit curves in the video gaming industry, not artistic quality.  A huge casual market would have dire consequences on the quality of games.

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ZebethOrZebes

You speak as if some game types are factually better than others, as if simple games cannot exsist or alowed to be popular. It's kind of an elietist thought to consider your preferance in gaming superior to someone elses. FoamingPanda

In our society of "everyone is entitled to their own opion," we often forget that some opions are far more valuble than others.  The complete works of Shakespear are superior to the complete works of Dr. Suess; Orwell  was a better sci-fi writer than L. Ron Hubbard.  I can provide a heap of textual evidence to support my opions, enough to crush any sort of feeble retort.  Video games are no exception; I can consider a game superior because of its depth and complexity and provide sufficent evidence to thwart a rebuttle. 

I'm not suggesting that real casual games have no place in gaming; I'm simply identifying these games for what they are -- piles of simplistic, shallow, and childish casual trash.  I fear the consequences of a broad market worshiping these games.  Profit will always inspire design.  Design follows profit curves in the video gaming industry, not artistic quality.  A huge casual market would have dire consequences on the quality of games.

Hey look, it's that dude who never bothered to answered my refutation on that long-winded diatribe about how he wants to enforce economic and structural reform to the video game industry against the best interests of the producers, but without using state-sponsored force! HI, Karl Jr., HOW ARE YA?!

ngsliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ngsliver
Member since 2005 • 433 Posts
I don't care what they do, I'll have a Wii. :Dwoohooforme
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
There a very real possiblity that Wii can be 3rd place again and lose even more "marketshare" to Sony/MS. Many of the Sheep here seem to be in denial that the "Wii" can flop and Flop hard (same as PS3). Nintendo has made such promises before with Gamecube  ( GC was voted #1 console E3 2000). So what does Nintedo do if the experiment Flops?PusherT
Nothing, they still make a profit
JayGonDS89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 JayGonDS89
Member since 2005 • 959 Posts

There a very real possiblity that Wii can be 3rd place again and lose even more "marketshare" to Sony/MS. Many of the Sheep here seem to be in denial that the "Wii" can flop and Flop hard (same as PS3). Nintendo has made such promises before with Gamecube  ( GC was voted #1 console E3 2000). So what does Nintedo do if the experiment Flops?PusherT

Give out free cookies!

chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 chimpiki
Member since 2004 • 2014 Posts
It doesn't really matter, they're the only ones that actually make profit off of their systems hummer700
Not true. Sony eventually profited from the PS2, quite a lot, I might add. Nintendo, of course, did profit the most. I think third place in there case is fine, but unacceptible for Sony. If Nintendo comes in last, they'll still have enough to fall back on for another generation, and another. and another. and another.
-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinoto"] [QUOTE="PusherT"]

Great logic...lol

Xbox...4billion loss....

If you think everyone who bought a PS1 bought a PS2 your wrong. If anything PS2 shows Sony's growth in the industry because not everyone who bought a PS1 bought a PS2.

McLarenAK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 McLarenAK47
Member since 2003 • 14169 Posts
if the wii comes in last they might not even be considered as a console maker anymore... ninty needs the wii to be a huge sucesss to be recognized