If the industry goes digital then I choose PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 d_black
Member since 2004 • 1538 Posts

This isn't a flame post; it's intended as a legitimate point. We all know publishers would love a digital market; it would end pre owned sales and it would allow them greater control over pricing. I for one think PSN and Xbox Live are way over-priced for the most part. New games are generally priced fairly but older ones fail to drop to a low enough price in comparison to their boxed cousins.....except PC is different.

Steam in particular is a fantastic platform. It offers great prices at times (total steal at other times) and easily outdoes the boxed market (as it should given the lower manufacturing costs). Get Games and D2D have their moments too and yes, I'm aware how some companies feel about Steam monopolising the market. When the market (and it will) goes digital, it might be time to give up on Xbox and PS3 and go back to PC so I (and others) can avoid being completely ripped off.

I'm not forgetting the publishers / developers in this but realise that MS and Sony's inflated prices don't equal more profit for them - they'd be happy just to see the end of the used sales market. Now, I'm off to buy Kane and Lynch 2 for £3.75 off Steam (not the best game ever but it's worth it for less than the price of renting a boxed copy).

Peace out. Try not to kill me, if you disagree - just state you points.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
How could I get my Killzone fix on PC? I know what you're saying, the big 3 would try and bleed every penny out of us but unless they start putting their franchises on PC few will convert.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I agree.

One major difference is that DD on a console means a completely closed of enviroment, while on the PC there will still be competition.

Steam can't start ripping people off because D2D among others are practically hoping for them to do such a thing.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Yeah I really hope things dont go fully digital. At least not for a good while.
BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

And it would be an understandable choice. Quite wise, in fact.

I just don't see how this belongs in a forum and not your blog.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Shhhh ... just convert covertly, more gamers switching to PC would be a bad thing.

PC gaming needs to stay small, or it will suffer the same fate of the consoles and all we'll get are rehashed FPS and terribad 3rd person action games.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Actually I very much agree with you. The only issue I can see is the fact that some PC gamers want to turn it into a closed platform because they refuse to purchase anywhere but from Steam. Now, I don't mind the gamer who buys wherever is cheapest- often that's Steam but sometimes elsewhere. But I just think it's utterly hiliarious how many people I've seen be able to build a rig and tweak/overclock it, but act as if remembering several username and passwords for different digital distributors is a colossal feat that only a NASA computer could handle.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
if the industry goes digital I choose retro gaming
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

if the industry goes digital I choose retro gamingohthemanatee
This post wins.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

You can go digital and retro now with Virtual Console. Nintendo saves the day.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

LovePotionNo9
You completely missed the point. Retro meaning, NOT digital.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
Considering the prices Steam and Impulse are having right now, and the fact that 1 out of every 5 orders on Direct2Drive is free (I even won one myself :D)... this is a pretty understandable line of thinking.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts

the sooner it all goes digital the better imo. i see no need any more for plastic disks and cases. it will go a that way one day. not if.. when.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

Damn right! It's faster for me to download pretty much anything. The 15min walk down to the gaming store is a waste of time

When i can download 7,5gb in 10 minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

This isn't a flame post; it's intended as a legitimate point. We all know publishers would love a digital market; it would end pre owned sales and it would allow them greater control over pricing. I for one think PSN and Xbox Live are way over-priced for the most part. New games are generally priced fairly but older ones fail to drop to a low enough price in comparison to their boxed cousins.....except PC is different.

Steam in particular is a fantastic platform. It offers great prices at times (total steal at other times) and easily outdoes the boxed market (as it should given the lower manufacturing costs). Get Games and D2D have their moments too and yes, I'm aware how some companies feel about Steam monopolising the market. When the market (and it will) goes digital, it might be time to give up on Xbox and PS3 and go back to PC so I (and others) can avoid being completely ripped off.

I'm not forgetting the publishers / developers in this but realise that MS and Sony's inflated prices don't equal more profit for them - they'd be happy just to see the end of the used sales market. Now, I'm off to buy Kane and Lynch 2 for £3.75 off Steam (not the best game ever but it's worth it for less than the price of renting a boxed copy).

Peace out. Try not to kill me, if you disagree - just state you points.

d_black

I agree, and this is coming from someone who no longer owns a capable gaming pc. The only problem I can see with this is the revenue that the publishers/developers would bring in. Gamers are already adjusted to the deals on Steam. What this does is create a "wtf, $50! That's way overpriced" attitude. Now, $50 might be an exaggeration, but point being is that things could reach a point where gamers would no longer be willing to spend more than they become accustomed to spending, for games. For example, Nintendo. Nintendo surely has a lot of employees that need to get paid. Not only that, but surely there's a reason for the big Ns success. I don't doubt they put a ridiculous amount of time into R/D for a lot of their games, considering they all typically succeed.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Damn right! It's faster for me to download pretty much anything. The 15min walk down to the gaming store is a waste of time

Robbazking

Some people have cars.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
You could rip all your downloaded games to vinyl if you must have analogue
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Robbazking"]

ianuilliam

Some people have cars.

Not to mention...

dafd

You could rip all your downloaded games to vinyl if you must have analoguemarkop2003

I'm confused. Vinyl is a superior formate to CD.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="LovePotionNo9"]

locopatho
You completely missed the point. Retro meaning, NOT digital.

Pff, only noobs play digital games and analogue gamers are playing in the past, base 4 FTW!!!
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5b4ca38d5fcb0
Member since 2008 • 2051 Posts

[QUOTE="Robbazking"]

ianuilliam

Some people have cars.

But then it would take even more time :O
Sp4rtan_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sp4rtan_3
Member since 2010 • 3495 Posts
Can't get nintendo exclusives on PC so its a pass from me. If they decide to go DL only im sticking with the big N.
madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

Shhhh ... just convert covertly, more gamers switching to PC would be a bad thing.

PC gaming needs to stay small, or it will suffer the same fate of the consoles and all we'll get are rehashed FPS and terribad 3rd person action games.

haberman13
Indeed, casual gamers should stay casual and should not get a system with so many hardcore games/genres. Civilization 5 already is capped, 6 will prbably be much like civ: rev. Fallout 3 is nothing compared to the prequels, soon they gonna make a remake of empire total war... a race game. After the 3th edition of settlers it went downhill to the point "Just another crappy game". X-com never got a sequal that it deserved. I wish i could turn back time, where everyone thought your a nerd and worthless when you where playing games. That time was a great time where graphics where ugly and gameplay was awesome. I just can't figure out where it went wrong, where mass people started playing games and commerce started to milk all of us. Nowaday they put a couple of 3D designers together create some awesomeness and it sells. We should all pirate everything till the publishers are broke. Then people will start making games from there hearth again instead of budget and release date. (yes, a way to long post on a off topic subject but i'm bored :D)
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="Robbazking"]Some people have cars.

Heirren

Not to mention...

You could rip all your downloaded games to vinyl if you must have analoguemarkop2003

I'm confused. Vinyl is a superior formate to CD.

The closest game store to me is a twenty minute drive, good thing steam allows me to preload and I can download it while I sleep.