If Sony isn't pushing PSNow why have the service in the first place?

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

Lets be honest here, 700K with 40% users is VERY bad. This is largely because the content that PSNow offer is not there, there's no first party games on the service, the games that until now that have been released were terrible.

Sony has said that they are making PSNow are bigger priority, but until Sony is actually committed to improving PSNow's standing against Game Pass. The future of PSNow will bleak when Game Pass, Apple Arcade continue to grab all the indies and other games and while at the same time ignore PSNow.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fedor  Online
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

What a hot take.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

You on this again?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

PSNow is gonna be surpassed before long. It's lacking overall. With upcoming streaming services, hopefully Sony starts to up the game.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

Because it's an optional service. Sony actually sells new 1st party software really well, so they don't have to lean on this service to distribute games. I really don't see a bunch of devs rushing to fight for marketshare on a digital streaming platform with brand new games unless they're paid by the platform holder to do so.

Game Pass has to tempt people with AAA games for pennies to get them to pay attention to the service. I think Sony and Nintendo would still prefer people pay full price for titles for now instead of hoping to trick people into forgetting to cancel a sub.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Sony strategy is clear on PSNow. Its for streaming old stuff. Personally, it has a really great list of old games.

Its an expensive solution for PS4 lack of backwards compability but Sony will definitely relaunch PSNow when they see Gamepass, Stadia and others making more impact.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts

PSNow is for suckers.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

The service needs to improve in terms of performance, selection of games, price etc but it's still pretty much the only major streaming service.

I'm sure they have enough market research (their own analysis) to make the necessary changes to be more successful.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Gamepass must have at least Five Million Subscribers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I made this same post a few months ago.

I'm currently subscribed, its my 2nd year in last 4, only really signed up cause auto-withdrew and when I got refund, they considered my money theirs and only put it in my wallet, and it was 2 years prior I said I'd never use their store again, and now promise you I'll never buy anything on a Sony platform again.

The first year was OK cause had PS3 and Vita. All that is gone, and only reason this 2nd term is OK, is cause of the downloading, but whack that I can't do it on PC. Even with the downloading, the system has issues knowing whether or not I have rights to play them. I'm not really happy with service, and probably should have used the $60 on a single game than the service.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

It's there so Sony can milk it's fan base (cows) with minimal effort, I thought this was well established years ago?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

PSNow is more successful than gamepass. It makes more money and has more market share than gamepass.

Lems are mad their service is doing worse. Fact is, no one gives a damn about halo, Forza and gears and they are not enough to sell a crappy service like gamepass.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I never saw the value in any of these rental services

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

It's there so Sony can milk it's fan base (cows) with minimal effort, I thought this was well established years ago?

Imagine what will happen if they tried. Gamepass would die within a day.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

It doesn’t take a stable genius to figure this out, but Sony is preparing it for the ps5 reveal and you’ll hear about this updated service either at the ps5 reveal or at E3.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sancho_Panzer  Online
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Placeholder service.

It might yet grow into something more worthwhile.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Sony has plans for ps cow,why else would they beg MS for da power of da cloud

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts
@ajstyles said:

PSNow is more successful than gamepass. It makes more money and has more market share than gamepass.

Lems are mad their service is doing worse. Fact is, no one gives a damn about halo, Forza and gears and they are not enough to sell a crappy service like gamepass.

Let's see, we pay less for a better service that offers 100% downloadable games and AAA games at launch, as well as a different selection of games on PC at no extra charge.

Remind us why we're mad again?

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@saltslasher: you should use that $60 and buy yourself some Valium and tissues.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

@sealionact said:

Let's see, we pay less for a better service that offers 100% downloadable games and AAA games at launch, as well as a different selection of games on PC at no extra charge.

Because no one has any reason to touch an Xbox console anymore. Now you're all a bunch of subscription service fanboys since the last lot of you have nothing else to stan for when it comes to Xbox now. Of course you're celebrating the fact that you no longer own your games because it's not like Xbox fans were buying them anyway.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

Gamepass must have at least Five Million Subscribers.

Yet PS Now makes more money lol

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@sealionact said:

Because no one has any reason to touch an Xbox console anymore. Now you're all a bunch of subscription service fanboys since the last lot of you have nothing else to stan for when it comes to Xbox now. Of course you're celebrating the fact that you no longer own your games because it's not like Xbox fans were buying them anyway.

Really have no idea what your answer has to do with my question which was "Why are we mad that our service is doing worse?"
If we're subscription service fanboys...why are we mad?
If we're celebrating not owning games .... why are we mad?

I'm delighted with what MS has done this gen, and even though I loved God of War ... I can't see myself paying 60 bucks again for yet another 3rd Person SP adventure that barely lasts me 3-4 days. Those days are coming to an end. More and more people are buying digital, and because it cuts down costs I shouldn't have to pay the same price as physical media. Offer me a subscription service that offers me all the AAA 1st party games at launch, at such a reduced price ... of course I'll jump on it, and so would every Sony gamer if was available.

Mad? Nah.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Because it's sh*t and everyone knows that. PS Now needs to be scrapped

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

"Pushing" PSNow implies that's their main/priority strategy. It's not. It's a supplementary service. For the time being, the main/priority if console market share and PS+ subscriptions. This will prob change shortly after or mid-way through the PS5's lifecycle, so....2023/2024?

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

@omegamaster said:

Because it's sh*t and everyone knows that. PS Now needs to be scrapped

Why scrap it when it clearly had marketshare? Like more than Gamepass, though

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@valgaav_219: Game Pass has more market share than PS Now. 700K PSNOW users and roughly 5+ million GP users.

@shellcase86

Game Pass will have been far established by 2024 and will be far too late for Sony. The only chance Sony has for PSNow to succeed is on PS5.

Even now Sony has a long road to climb to give devs a better deal than Microsoft.