If PlayStation 5 graphics could eventually look like this.....

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

At least, in the latter years of PS5, then, holy shit.

However, I think that's too optimistic for PS5 or even a PS5 Pro.

What do you all think?

Certainly then, if there's a PS6 sometime around the late 2020s, we'll get there.

And before you say "streaming, cloud-based, games-as-a-service", remember to realize that likely won't be happening until the 2030s. I think we've got at least two more entire traditional console generations to go through before such things even become feasible on a massive scale for the average household or individual.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Even if this is a cinematic trailer the game looks amazing from this trailer I got!!!!!

Oh yeah, as for PS5 looking like similar to that Cinematic trailer, anything's possible :)

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

Depends on several factors really. If PS5 releases with 12+ tflop GPU, plenty of memory and a fast cpu, then those graphics should be achievable at resolution of 1440p. But, if the system is only in the 8 tflop range and developers focus purely on native 4K then it won't happen.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

What is the point of this thread?

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

why do people keep making these dumb, hopeful predictions? The leap in graphics from last gen to current gen wasn't even that dramatic. Next gen will mostly be about attempting to maintain native resolution at a high framerate. Games will look like current gen but in higher res. Don't expect anything more.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@UssjTrunks said:

To discuss the future of PS5 what it can give us silly :P

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I'm still waiting for Toy Story graphics

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

It's possible. I'd rather have PS5 ditch b/c features, and move forward with better gpu-cpu and more tflops and fully focus on steady frame rates at 4K resolution.

That's all I ask, tbh.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

late ps5 game? Sure. Considering how good HZD looks on potato hardware, anything is possible.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69360 Posts

Aren't we bored of graphics already? The PS5 will be more marginal than the PS3 to PS4 and closer to the PS4 to Pro.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

why do people keep making these dumb, hopeful predictions? The leap in graphics from last gen to current gen wasn't even that dramatic. Next gen will mostly be about attempting to maintain native resolution at a high framerate. Games will look like current gen but in higher res. Don't expect anything more.

That is actually dumb. what would be the point of such consoles? What you're describing sounds like Sony & Microsoft will be releasing PS4 Ultra and Xbox One XX, respectively, not NEXT GEN consoles.

I mean, you can play Quake II on Xbox 360 in native 1080p, 60fps

Loading Video...

But other than resolution, it's still the basically the same graphics as playing Quake II on a 3Dfx Voodoo accelerated PC in the late 1990s.

Loading Video...

My point is, there's no reason to release new consoles just so they can play current generation games at native 4K 2160p at a high framerate. Why bother?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@davillain-: well them, Xbox Two will be a lot better than ps5

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

Can't read?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

@FireEmblem_Man said:

As if Xbox Two will be any better then PS5 and we both know MS lacks exclusive games. So why should I buy a console without unique IP exclusive games compare to Sony & Nintendo offerings?

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

I imagine the PS5 would be very impressive. The PS4 pro was already the slight bump up in power. I doubt a Pro 2 is worth the investment. i'm sure they are quietly working on the PS5 to be a powerhouse

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

With Sony's devs anything is possible. I didn't think we could get HZD's graphics this gen on a console and Sony's devs proved me wrong. Even on the base PS4 that game looks insane. I can only imagine what they can do with a 8-10TFlop GPU with a decent CPU.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Well the road maps for both Nvidia and AMD for the next 5 years are already a indication that you are correct and it is too optimistic.

2019-2020 launch rumours with 150w for console GPU's pretty much means that the power from the current PRO/X1X to the coming console the gap will be smaller than the PS4/X1S to PRO/X1X.

AT BEST you are looking at:

• AMD Picasso Zen2+ - The laptop Zen2 CPU's since destop grade CPU's draw too much power
  • AMD Vega 11 = which is meant to replace Polaris RX 570/580 segment, which more or less will be 150w or less GPU's, Vega 20 is targeted for high end which replaces Vega 56/64 and that segment draws too much power for consoles and Navi won't be here till late 2020.

All this means that you are looking at a console with 4-6 times more powerful CPU and a GPU that is 2x better than the current Pro/X1X, it sounds impressive for today's standards but its not a generational difference from the PRO/X1X, which is impossible because the industry doesn't work that quick the 5 year console gap was there for a reason and now that that has been thrown out the window so should our expectations.

Anyone with a 16GB DDR4 PC with a Ryzen 5 CPU and a GTX 1080/Vega 56 GPU is pretty much running next generation console power, the only difference is power draw.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

The playstation 2 did that already didn't you know? XD .........err edit forgot it was actually the ps2.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@davillain- said:
@UssjTrunks said:

To discuss the future of PS5 what it can give us silly :P

But we have no information about the PS5 and its hardware so there is nothing to discuss.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@jtothamtothap: The original Toy Story looks like shit in comparison to todays games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain- said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

As if Xbox Two will be any better then PS5 and we both know MS lacks exclusive games. So why should I buy a console without unique IP exclusive games compare to Sony & Nintendo offerings?

That's it dav slowly come out of that cow closet

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46198 Posts

The possibility of a God of War IV was actually one of the reasons that I got a PS4.

What we got instead (lame Uncharted/tomb raider/dark souls rip off) is enough to not make me want a PS5.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

May be may be not. Raw hardware power isn't the only factor, rising costs of development is to be considered as well.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

If we're lucky we might get this in VR using real-time raytracing instead of rasterization by the end of PS5's life cycle, but I'm not sure if we'd see this in non-VR until PS6 since photorealism is easier to achieve with VR.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm happy with the ps4 pro capabilities so if they release ps5 with improved graphics then you cant ask for more than that.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts
@airraidjet said:

If PlayStation 5 graphics could eventually look like this.....

Then PC graphics would still look way better.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

If they focused on 1080p for PS5 it might do those kind of visuals but it'll be aiming for 4k so it's power will be wasted on resolution rather then pixels.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10604 Posts

@jtothamtothap:

That level of visuals was achieved by Ratchet and Clank on the ps4, especially on the pro.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ermacness

@Litchie:

For only 5x the cost of a ps5.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#30 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

PS5 will never reach that level of graphics. That is CGI bs. Real gameplay does look very good though, even though the game is trash on rails Dad of War for modern casual gamer.

PS5 graphics will hardly look better than PS4. Thank 4k for that.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

Look at the latest Kingdom Hearts gameplay trailer.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Litchie

@ermacness said:

@Litchie:

For only 5x the cost of a ps5.

But you'd stop getting QTE movie games thrown in your face all the time and actually get access to some cool shit.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ermacness

@Litchie:

I don't really acknowledge the term "movie games". To me, if a game CANNOT progress without a controller, then to me it's a game, no matter how much of a cinematic influence it may have with it.

Champpsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Champpsz
Member since 2018 • 23 Posts

@davillain- said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

They're massively investing in exclusives right now, first party and 3rd party, the only issue is you won't see them until 2019-2020 when the next gen starts. They're going to keep investing in new games because new content is the only way the Gamepass will be a success.

You'll also most likely be able to play those games on your Switch and pretty much every platform except for anything from Sony since they don't want anything, not even EA access, potentially eating into their customer base.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

The issue is costs vs. returns. Graphics "can" look like that, but is it economically viable? There's a reason why there wasn't a huge leap this gen, unless game development becomes cheaper this might be ps6 levels.

Kusimeka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kusimeka
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

@lifelessablaze said:

Eh, go back and play a PS3 game then play HZD. It's a pretty big leap. The main reason everyone noticed a huge leap from PS2 > PS3 was because of the leap from SD to HD.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44031 Posts

Apply liberally to the supah sore spot and call Doc SP in da morning. lolol :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@Kusimeka: Agreed. The leap between PS2 and PS3 was very noticeable because of the HD difference. Later PS2 games looked great in comparison to their launch counterparts.

With the leap between PS3 and PS4 just look at Uncharted 3 on PS3 vs Uncharted 4. The difference is incredible.

I expect that we'll still see a bump in graphic capabilities with the PS5. How noticeable it is depends on the individual developers and how acquainted they get with the finalized capabilities of the PS5.

That said, I'm in no rush for the PS5 to arrive. Sony can take another 5 years to develop it if they want.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Litchie
@ermacness said:

@Litchie:

I don't really acknowledge the term "movie games". To me, if a game CANNOT progress without a controller, then to me it's a game, no matter how much of a cinematic influence it may have with it.

If it was any mystery behind what I meant with "movie games", then I can explain that I really meant crap games. You know, games where graphics is more important than gameplay. Games where story is in the spotlight, and the story sucks ass. Games where they ask you to press X with within 3 seconds and cool shit happens automatically instead of you doing cool shit yourself. Games that give you one path to follow and basically play themselves. Games that interrupt your gaming every 10 minutes with bullshit cutscenes.

Sony is king of these games. Really, really lazy game design with all effort put in the graphics and presentation to fool people who go by trailers that the game is good and worth it to play. Under the shiny coat, there's just shallow crap.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Not even PC will be able to do that

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

It would be nice of Sony to actually show gameplay in their trailers instead of just selling the game based off of rendered movie clips... but whatever.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Lol at people thinking the ps3>ps4 wasn't a huge leap forwards even for its ancient hardware.

Here a model for you.

Obviously both are bullshit renders as its sony after all, but for comparison sake that doesn't matter much.

Go look at the last of us and compare it to horizon zero dawn game. If that's not a generation leap i dunno what to say. both builded from the ground up for there consoles. Last of us enviroments look horrible even the models aren't that great and then the framerate + resolution on top of it.

PS5 if they push themselves a top end ryzen with a 16tflop volta gpu the jump forwards would be absolute massive. And people that would say but we graphical diminishing returns !!!, ps6 will be just as big of a leap we are nowhere near anywhere with dimishing returns.

We are just at the start of visual department, games still in this day of age are extremely holded back on that department. Witcher 3 could have looked beyond better if there only was capable hardware to push it. Hell even GCI movies from holywood don't look that impressive. And that's with insane amounts of hardware rendered.

In 30 years from now, games we play now will look absolute horrible.

Remember when people though this looked extremely good back in the day?

That's how games in 20 years from now will exactly feel like, that got released. plastic soulless dull looks on characters, empty non responding enviroments.

Even top end titles are extremely limited, models are still terrible quality wise extremely cartoony ( any sony title ) / plastic / unnatural looking, or plastic physx nowhere to be seen which make a huge impact in the world. still busy with crappy resolutions and filtering and crappy shadowing / texturing.

Wanna have a sneak preview worlds will look like in 40 years from now, with minor details being added that actually feels like the world actually exists and isn't a static dead projection with stuff like this when you look down.

Specially the last picture, can you imagine a plane fly's over you in battlefield drops a bomb and the whole forest will do this? that surrounds it? bet your next 4x sli volta 20k gpu setup, with 2x 52 core cpu is going to halt towards 0 fps. let alone the explosion, the damage on the forest, the fire everywhere that spreads. the utterly realistic wild life towards the smallest insect fully rendered in realistic manner and not a dot with 3 wooden legs that make a crappy animation. With water falling down on tree's that react towards the enviroment in every possible way and not as static as bf1 has now, a flat texture with some dumb oh if you hit this texture your gun gets shape number 2 on mud wise rofl. Or when objects just ram into your face because couldn't render it before. where you see entire area's shift right infront of you because performance.

With full blown seasons moving through it, and not a simple version of it. a full blown version where every single leaf dies out and when you look at it you see even natural changes happening on a faster pace.

Then with zero graphical glitches or low resolutions stuff going, and perfect sun/shadowing projections and not that god ray crap that still doesn't look anywhere near realistic even while it's the best we got atm ( or going to get )

Now look at the graphical quality PS4 delivers atm, in super small size so it looks extra good, it looks like a cartoon.

Or even better witcher 3:

Just look how bad everything really looks in comparison towards real life, muddy textures / rock doesn't even look like a rock would look like, zero extra details like with the leafes i showcased earlier on, tree's look low polygonal, actually the whole enviroment will look in 20 years from now like that of morrowind. in comparison towards new games.

Hell if you look at geralds character, it looks nowhere near impressive even remotely, its solid for todays age but we are heavily limited still, hell even his GCI trailer where he looks a lot more better is still extremely holded back. Even witcher 3 looks like a cartoon currently.

So for people that start to talk about dimishing returns, we are far far far far far away from anything like that. hell even hollywood and there cpu computer farms or volta gpu's farms, can't render a half decent enviroment movie in its current climate at any recenable speed, and that stuff will be in our pc's / consoles in 20 years from now easily.

PS4 > PS5 will be a massive leap forwards but still extremely extremely limited in what it can do. Same will go all the way up to PS15 without any issue's.

Whenever i boot up a game, i see the flaws everywhere no matter how new it is.

PS

Time for gamespot 2.0 to come out. This site scrambles my posts 24/7 when i post it. absolute the most wonky forum i ever saw.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Telekill

@Litchie: I prefer single player story driven games which is why I support PlayStation. Generally, their games are actually good with decent story telling and memorable characters. I personally can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima.

If you want lazy game design look at all the FPS games that have flooded the market since mid last gen. It's a ridiculous amount of cookie cutter crap that so many gamers throw wads of cash at.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Star Citizen already looks better than that. You could have that kind of graphics if consoles wouldn't be that underpowered :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Litchie

@Telekill: You mean games like Destiny? Yeah, that's pure crap too.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Telekill

@Litchie: Destiny, CoD, Battlefield, etc...

Even those battle royal games are crap.

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@ArchoNils2: lmao you are delusional....!

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

That video doesn't look that much better than the game play. I think it should be possible.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

Star Citizen already looks better than that. You could have that kind of graphics if consoles wouldn't be that underpowered :P

Nah, it doesn't. You're blind and delusional.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@jtothamtothap said:

I'm still waiting for Crysis graphics.