If one of the big three had to drop out the race, which would you prefere it be?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts

If either Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony HAD to drop out of the console market, which would you prefere to drop out between the three?

Sony, with their arrogant attitude towards the gaming industry?
Nintendo, with their kiddy games and waggle in a box?
Microsoft, with their faulty hardware and gold membership subscription?

Which would you choose to go?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That's a very, very tough question. They all do things I like.:? :cry:

I suppose, as a gamer with all the machines every generation, I could deliberately look at the game output between the three companies.

The company that provides the least amount of games for me to simply play would be the best way to determine it, I think.

Features are nice and all (Blu-Ray, Xbox Live, WiFi, Waggle, HD, Online), but I think in the end I would go with the actual GAMES as my way of elimination.

I would then look to the past, present, and future to make the best decision that would hopefully result in good gaming times for the future.

I could probably make a decision based on how many games I would lose out on. The company the provides the least amount of games for me to play would be my decision, I guess, although...I am reluctant to close anything at all because I might be missing something.

Which company leaving would impact gamers the least?

I think we all know the answer, right? ;)

Scar_Finger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Scar_Finger
Member since 2010 • 197 Posts
if microsoft drops out of the gaming industry i will be happy
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

Microsoft in favor of a new Sega console.

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts

Sony, by process of elimination. I would never choose Nintendo because they innovate each generation, and right now they are expanding the industry which is good for us gamers. Microsoft aren't great, but traditionally Sony's consoles fail just as much as Microsoft's consoles. What Microsoft have in their favour is they are a western gaming company. They bring diversity to the gaming industry. So by process of elimination I would choose Sony.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Sony, by process of elimination. I would never choose Nintendo because they innovate each generation, and right now they are expanding the industry which is good for us gamers. Microsoft aren't great, but traditionally Sony's consoles fail just as much as Microsoft's consoles. What Microsoft have in their favour is they are a western gaming company. They bring diversity to the gaming industry. So by process of elimination I would choose Sony.

Fried_Shrimp

By bringing game diversity, that would mean games...The 3rd party games we see would exist either way, buying timed exclusives isn't diversity, it's just paying a company to not make a game on other consoles.

If that money wasn't delivered, that game would still exist.

I agree with your process of elimination, but I don't agree they bring diversity to the gaming industry anymore so than other companies. In fact, they bring less games than the other two companies, by far. :P

So, your own diversity statement is incorrect, does that change your answer?

I know, I know...It's too hard man.:P

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts
Are we assuming that the one who dropped out would become a third party publisher or that their IPs would be lost forever?
NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts

Probably Nintendo. I love the ps3 and i like the 360, but the Wii and its games do nothing for me.

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

MS. Mainly because I'm still pissed they axed the Age of Empire devs... I want an Age of Empires IV... :(

Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts
I don't know if it was this gen only I would say Nintendo but that's really only because I don't like Wii not them. Miscrosoft leaving would probably have the least impact they don't own any real decent game series apart from Halo.
TBoogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TBoogy
Member since 2007 • 4382 Posts
I have never owned a Sony or Nintendo machine, so it would have to be one of them. Of the two, I have at least THOUGHT about owning a Sony machine (all 3 actually), while Nintendo never has and never will make anything for me. So I would have to say Nintendo. Hmm, but on the other hand, if Nintendo went 3rd party, I would still never buy anything of theirs, while if Sony did, their games would end up on Xbox (either because the system matches Sony's vision the most, or because developers that would have gone to Sony will look for MS to publish). So from a greed standpoint, Sony leaving would benefit me more.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17421 Posts
Sony because it would take cows down with them :lol:
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Nintendo. They're hardly even a gaming company anymore in my eyes. They've ditched the crowd that's been loyal to them for years and try to appeal to soccer moms, kids, and the elderly with a console that has terrible online, mediocre graphics, gimmicky motion controls, and a lousy game selection (IMO of course).

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Nintendo for sure. Or Id prefer if they made a decent console instead of the Wii.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Microsoft they are offering the least for me.

ImageChef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ImageChef
Member since 2010 • 163 Posts
Nintendo. I can say perfectly sincerely that they have not produced anything this generation that impressed me. Everything I liked was incredibly standard in my opinion. Yes, I'm looking at Brawl, SMG, etc. The good things, all expected and completely unimpressive.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
Nintendo. I don't care for anything they make.
AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

I choose Nintendo.

I love them, but they need a more serious system/console. Hopefully they turn things around this year with Other M and Galaxy 2.

hamzah1235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hamzah1235
Member since 2008 • 1189 Posts

Fried_Shrimp, all the Sony machines have had great reliability in their generations, so stop being a sheep and bashing Sony all the time. Oh, also i LOLed so hard at that one thread of you stating monster hunter tri looks like a PS3 game, but on topic, it would definately be nintendo that i wouldnt mind stepping out of the race

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
This thread should be called "Which of the big three I hate the most" instead.
MisterG333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MisterG333
Member since 2007 • 741 Posts

Either sony or microsoft. Only need one HD console. If one bought the other, that would be preferred so we get all exclusives :)

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
MS. I hate the RRoD, and the PS3 has great library of games too.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts

Fried_Shrimp, all the Sony machines have had great reliability in their generations,

hamzah1235
:lol: My 3 PS1s and 4 PS2s don't agree with ya.
martyr2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 martyr2k6
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts

Personally I would prefer it if all three competitors would drop out of the "race". In my eyes all three names lose and all three names win. Nintendo doesn't have better games than Microsoft or Sony, Microsoft doesn't have better games than Sony or Nintendo, and Sony doesn't have better games than Microsoft or Nintendo.

As much of a gamer I am and have been for almost 21 years now, I would much prefer there to be only ONE gaming platform (no, not PC either) for everyone to co-exist peacefully. I am sick and tired of having people bash me for having an XBox 360 or NOT having my time on any one of the mediums. I have been playing games on PC, PS3, PS2, PS1, XBox, XBox360, Sega, and Nintendo systems since the 8 bit era (go ahead and tell me that the XBox wasn't 8 bit, that's not the point I am making). I hate getting a game for my preferred system (XBox 360) and then my bosses or buddies telling me that I should get it for THEIR preferred system after the fact so we can play together. Last time I made that mistake, I got L4D on 360 and PC, and no one I know will play either now...

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Microsoft.

martyr2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 martyr2k6

Got ya beat, I have had 10 PS2s... Not trying to compete, but I feel ya!

Yojimbo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#27 Yojimbo25
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

Microsoft needs too. Hell they have already made one of worst consoles ever made, its unreliable, prone to so many errors. If they did, I would be happy, Microsoft isn't a true gaming company, they are just out to kill the competition, and make people buy overpriced peripherals.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

[QUOTE="hamzah1235"]

Fried_Shrimp, all the Sony machines have had great reliability in their generations,

aaronmullan

My 14 years old fat PS1 and 9 years old fat PS2 doesnt agree with yours xD (I didnt have any problem with them till this day).

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

nintendo simply for the fact that I want a rare made donkey kong again, and a mari owith ratchet and clank quality graphics.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

i would say MS.

nothing against them, but I love nintendo's 1st party and the PS3's exclusives. plus I have a gaming PC, so i can already play a lot of 360 games. there's not much of a reason for me to have a MS console, so i wouldnt care too much if they were to drop out of the console race.

Avatar image for twitchmonkey399
twitchmonkey399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 twitchmonkey399
Member since 2009 • 521 Posts
I don't know if it was this gen only I would say Nintendo but that's really only because I don't like Wii not them. Miscrosoft leaving would probably have the least impact they don't own any real decent game series apart from Halo.LiquidSnake1001
It's weird how you think that when your username is crowned with a picture of a character from Mass Effect.
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

Microsoft in favor of a new Sega console.

InfinityMugen
This. I want a Dreamcast 2 to be made badly.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#33 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I hate Sony smug attitude but the games that the first party of Sony creates are great. Nintendo is a good company with great games and yes, they try to innovate. Microsoft meanwhile, I don't like that company alot (especially Bill Gates) so I would say that Microsoft should go.
Avatar image for twitchmonkey399
twitchmonkey399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 twitchmonkey399
Member since 2009 • 521 Posts

Nintendo. They're hardly even a gaming company anymore in my eyes. They've ditched the crowd that's been loyal to them for years and try to appeal to soccer moms, kids, and the elderly with a console that has terrible online, mediocre graphics, gimmicky motion controls, and a lousy game selection (IMO of course).

StealthMonkey4
I'm pretty sure that Nintendo has always been the one out of the big three that catered to the casual gamer more than the other corporations.
ElTriforceo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ElTriforceo
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

Microsoft. They bring nothing unique to the table. Absolutely nothing. It doesn't make their system/games bad, but it makes them nothing I couldn't replace without them. Besides, gaming was at its best before they even joined in (that is unless you count the PC....).

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

twitchmonkey399

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo has always been the one out of the big three that catered to the casual gamer more than the other corporations.

Not nearly to the degree they have this gen. I'm fine if they release casual games as long as they balance it out with core games.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="LiquidSnake1001"]I don't know if it was this gen only I would say Nintendo but that's really only because I don't like Wii not them. Miscrosoft leaving would probably have the least impact they don't own any real decent game series apart from Halo.twitchmonkey399
It's weird how you think that when your username is crowned with a picture of a character from Mass Effect.

Mass Effect is also on PC and is third party.

Sony. I don't like any of their first party games and I'm not going to pay the outrageous price they would charge for their console with no competition. Probably be over $1000 for their next system if there was no MS and Nintendo release another weak system.

Avatar image for Kennysolidsnake
Kennysolidsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kennysolidsnake
Member since 2009 • 1068 Posts

I own both a PS3 and 360 and i can honestly say that if the 360 died out it wouldnt be near as missed as if the Playstation brand died out.. I think if Sony dropped out, it would have a megaton negative impact on the gaming industry.. I mean my god just imagine gaming without the PS3, you would have shooter racer console 360 or the Wii

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

If said company would still be making games, Nintendo.

If said company would not be making games, Sony. There first party is great and all, but alot of their IPs this gen don't interest me.

Avatar image for Kennysolidsnake
Kennysolidsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kennysolidsnake
Member since 2009 • 1068 Posts

Microsoft. They bring nothing unique to the table. Absolutely nothing. It doesn't make their system/games bad, but it makes them nothing I couldn't replace without them. Besides, gaming was at its best before they even joined in (that is unless you count the PC....).

ElTriforceo
exactly! The gaming industry could survive and still thrive without the 360, if the PS3 died out and all their devs and franchises died out as well, it would be huge and would kill gaming within a year.
ElTriforceo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ElTriforceo
Member since 2009 • 1130 Posts

[QUOTE="ElTriforceo"]

Kennysolidsnake

exactly! The gaming industry could survive and still thrive without the 360, if the PS3 died out and all their devs and franchises died out as well, it would be huge and would kill gaming within a year.

I usually think your statements are a bit overboard but that's pretty accurate, except the gaming dying out part :lol:. Gaming was fine when Nintendo dominated everyone.

I know you don't like Nintendo but they're constantly innovating and pushing fantastic games out. Even if you think motion control is bad, at least they tried something new that will in the future be looked back on as a huge step towards futuristic gaming.

The PS3 has fantastic new IPs and strives to be the ultimate standard console experience.

The 360 strives to be a dumbed down PC with the same games with inferior graphics and controls :|

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 StealthMonkey4

[QUOTE="StealthMonkey4"]

ElTriforceo

Oh look, another babbling ignorant gamer. The "IMO" doesn't help when you demonstrate clear ignorance.

Clear ignorance..?

I'm clearly ignorant because I don't enjoy a gaming system that you do...:roll:

If you think my comment was ignorant, your "MS isn't teh innovative!!!111" comment is just as ignorant.

jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts
MS. They don't have enough 1st party studios to have a significant impact if they left.
DEATH775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#45 DEATH775
Member since 2005 • 4216 Posts
I want Nintendo to drop. I definitely be happy.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="aaronmullan"][QUOTE="hamzah1235"]

Kashiwaba

My 14 years old fat PS1 and 9 years old fat PS2 doesnt agree with yours xD (I didnt have any problem with them till this day).

Ah, these games are fun. The ps1 and 2 were known for crappy hardware though.

Shy_Guy_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#47 Shy_Guy_Red
Member since 2006 • 17138 Posts

Gonna side with the people saying Sony, MS and Nintendo could fill in the gap if they leave much better than the other 2 could if MS or Nintendo left.

I'd rather have none though. :(

martyr2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 martyr2k6

I own both a PS3 and 360 and i can honestly say that if the 360 died out it wouldnt be near as missed as if the Playstation brand died out.. I think if Sony dropped out, it would have a megaton negative impact on the gaming industry.. I mean my god just imagine gaming without the PS3, you would have shooter racer console 360 or the Wii

Kennysolidsnake

Of course Microsoft wouldn't be missed nearly as much, they have only been in the Console game for 9 years... Sony has been there for at least 13.

KristoffBrujah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 KristoffBrujah
Member since 2005 • 1860 Posts

Right now, Wii. They contribute nothing I am interested in. Ninty can go on and make Mario for other systems for all I care.

I like Sony and MS playing off one another for the ultimate next gen experience.

smashed_pinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 smashed_pinata
Member since 2005 • 3747 Posts

Sony. Their games don't interest me. Plus, it would leave one western dev ( MS ) and one Japanese dev ( Ninty ) :D :D :D