IF Nintendo garners towards kids they are heading the wrong direction. Poll

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YourExpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YourExpert
Member since 2006 • 387 Posts

I"m a Wii60 owner but I have to say there are more little kids on xbox live playing "M" rated gaems then E games by far.  I can't tell you how many little kids with thier balls still stuck in there throat yell insane crap and curse words every day on xbox live.   Where in the world are the parents at?  Not only do they let thier kids play these "M" rated games like Gears of War, they dont' supervise them and let them act retarded on live.

Next thing you know we'll have another parent blaming videogames for thier lack of responsibility. 

kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kingsy_the_one
Member since 2003 • 4354 Posts
Anyone remember that kid shouting abuse at Xbox Live Halo 2..? :lol: (Video..)
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts
I've seen it in Halo 2 and when a Kid says something like that I just mute them so I don't have to hear them anymore.
ShakeNBake1491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 ShakeNBake1491
Member since 2004 • 3055 Posts

Most kids are only interested in M rated games...

And their parents don't mind.

Dups79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Dups79
Member since 2004 • 2370 Posts

M rating is to shield companies against the Angry Mothers of the World.

How many M rated things did you get your hands on when you were a kid? Old playboys your friend found in his dad's room. Watching a R rated movie and catching a glimpse of some ( . Y . ) 

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It seems that most kids want to play games not intended for their age group.
kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kingsy_the_one
It seems that most kids want to play games not intended for their age group.foxhound_fox

Yeah, so they can fit in with the mature crowd..
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

ShakeNBake1491

Has a father of a 8 year old, I can tell you that I don't let my son play all "M" games. But Halo is fine, I have never thought of Halo has a "M" game. But he enjoys Nintendo games more than his XBox anyways he plays Simpsons the most on the XBox.

sps9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sps9
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

It seems that most kids want to play games not intended for their age group.foxhound_fox

It's true. All kids want to be 'big kids' and play games that are 'adult'. Real adults just want to have fun so they buy Wiis.

SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SkyCastleDan
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts
Well, judging by their sales, I doubt you can justify it being the wrong direction. It's not like the DS is aimed at an older audience, and look how that beast sells. Stupid Nintendo....
ShakeNBake1491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShakeNBake1491
Member since 2004 • 3055 Posts
[QUOTE="ShakeNBake1491"]

HarlockJC

Has a father of a 8 year old, I can tell you that I don't let my son play all "M" games. But Halo is fine, I have never thought of Halo has a "M" game. But he enjoys Nintendo games more than his XBox anyways he plays Simpsons the most on the XBox.

Ahhh, it's good to see parents like that on these boards...

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

My kid sister was introduced to gaming at a really young age.  At age 7, when she was barely able to reach over to the arcade machine controls, she was able to consistantly beat people in Soul Calibur 2 at the movie theater. 

Oh noes, animated violence!  PG-13 and my sister not only was witnessing it, but participating at it 6 years before she should be.  That said, she's witnessed the M level stuff I'd say... oh geeze... what?  Age 9-10?  Limbs flying off, blood spraying everywhere.  I think that was when she watched Kill Bill. 

Children don't have such a loose grasp on reality.  People don't give them enough credit.  They can figure out what's real and what's not if it's reinforced. 

AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts

Well, judging by their sales, I doubt you can justify it being the wrong direction. It's not like the DS is aimed at an older audience, and look how that beast sells. Stupid Nintendo....SkyCastleDan

Brain age is targeted at kids?  Since when? 

Wemhim256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wemhim256
Member since 2007 • 712 Posts

I"m a Wii60 owner but I have to say there are more little kids on xbox live playing "M" rated gaems then E games by far.  I can't tell you how many little kids with thier balls still stuck in there throat yell insane crap and curse words every day on xbox live.   Where in the world are the parents at?  Not only do they let thier kids play these "M" rated games like Gears of War, they dont' supervise them and let them act retarded on live.

Next thing you know we'll have another parent blaming videogames for thier lack of responsibility. 

YourExpert
LOLz
sps9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sps9
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts

It's a hard call.

I once saw a 6 year old kid jumping up and down at the MK3 machine who obviously had no idea what button did what screaming 'kill kill kill' at the top of his lungs.

100% serious. It was disturbing to say the least.

Wemhim256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wemhim256

My kid sister was introduced to gaming at a really young age.  At age 7, when she was barely able to reach over to the arcade machine controls, she was able to consistantly beat people in Soul Calibur 2 at the movie theater. 

Oh noes, animated violence!  PG-13 and my sister not only was witnessing it, but participating at it 6 years before she should be.  That said, she's witnessed the M level stuff I'd say... oh geeze... what?  Age 9-10?  Limbs flying off, blood spraying everywhere.  I think that was when she watched Kill Bill. 

Children don't have such a loose grasp on reality.  People don't give them enough credit.  They can figure out what's real and what's not if it's reinforced. 

RahnAetas
I'd have to agree, plus, if you give psychology tests, it can kind of show that they're not all idiots. For example, actors that are young have to go through it for certain parts, Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver played a hooker when she was 14(Played a 12 year old though) and passed the test, I play some really bad stuff when I was younger too, almost any friend I had played M games or watched R movies. They're not all as stupid as people make them sound, just annoying. And stupid in some ways, but not in the sense that they can't understand the concept of fiction.
chrisdojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 chrisdojo
Member since 2005 • 5065 Posts
the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games.....
Wemhim256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wemhim256
the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... chrisdojo
Pretty much, since I've seen probably over 100 little kids playing M games, and to think that those 100 kids are going to grow up to be Ted Bundy Jr is.....well, juvenile. It doesn't make them mature, it makes them mature ENOUGH. But far from mature.
kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kingsy_the_one
the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... chrisdojo

Unfortunetly, it's what kids think..
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

It's more often the other way around, actually. 

Wemhim256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wemhim256
[QUOTE="chrisdojo"]the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... kingsy_the_one

Indeed that's true, but it shows that they are mature enough, and they at least deserve that much credit, they may not be mature, but close enough to handle it(It being M games).
Wemhim256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Wemhim256

[QUOTE="chrisdojo"]the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... Litchie

That's not true either, you can play mature and less mature games, I enjoy Manhunt, GTA, and all that, but I also enjoy a nice games of Battletoads or one of those pool games, or bejewled, or Donkey Kong Country, you can like more than one type of game, just liking M games is immature, just liking E-T is immature, having diversity makes sense. I can legally buy any game, so, I will buy both E-T and M games. Not so much AO, maybe, if it's fun, but for the most part is probably just for horny people who don't get off by pr0n.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Yup this is true. I played Mortal Kombat when I was young and I loved it. Violence is still cool as I get older but its got to have a bit more substance attached to it. Thats why I enjoy GTA but after one game I don't bother playing the sequels.

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts
[QUOTE="RahnAetas"]

Wemhim256

I'd have to agree, plus, if you give psychology tests, it can kind of show that they're not all idiots. For example, actors that are young have to go through it for certain parts, Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver played a hooker when she was 14(Played a 12 year old though) and passed the test, I play some really bad stuff when I was younger too, almost any friend I had played M games or watched R movies. They're not all as stupid as people make them sound, just annoying. And stupid in some ways, but not in the sense that they can't understand the concept of fiction.

Unfortunatly not every child has a decent upbringing.  If anything, sheilding them from stuff, making them judgemental, even hateful of things around them, (potentially vice versa) has a far greater chance of turning kids into maniacs.

Despite being exposed to all this 'inappropriate' media, having a good upbringing is far more powerful than what we see on the TV.  My sister doesn't swear, throw temper tantrums, is quite good natured and pleasant to be around.  Though I honestly worry about her due to how the next generation takes everything so lightly.  Especially when it comes to responsiblity, drugs and sex. 

But violence?  No she's not going to start a school shooting.  She's not going to join a gang and beat up people with baseball bats.  She can play pokemon enjoy that, much as she enjoyed watching 300 (oh noes, another rated M movie)

kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingsy_the_one

[QUOTE="kingsy_the_one"][QUOTE="chrisdojo"]the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... Wemhim256

Indeed that's true, but it shows that they are mature enough, and they at least deserve that much credit, they may not be mature, but close enough to handle it(It being M games).

Well, M Rated games these days dont have to be all that violent.. It still sickens me to have kids talk about Nintendo's 'Kiddie' image, because they feel more mature saying it.. They're too young to have grown up on the NES & SNES, and see Sony and Micro as more Mature...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts
[QUOTE="Litchie"]

[QUOTE="chrisdojo"]the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... Wemhim256

That's not true either, you can play mature and less mature games, I enjoy Manhunt, GTA, and all that, but I also enjoy a nice games of Battletoads or one of those pool games, or bejewled, or Donkey Kong Country, you can like more than one type of game, just liking M games is immature, just like E-T is immature, having diversity makes sense.

Yeah, that's true. Maybe not "more often", I apologize for that. I meant "often". Personally, I like a game that's fun, no matter if it's called "Super Bloody Ultra Knuckles from the Depths of Hell vs. Zombies", or "Mario Party".

Sir_Graham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Sir_Graham
Member since 2002 • 3983 Posts
The rating is not often the best indication of whether a game is simple or complex and not every young person is going to enjoy simple games. When I was young I was into really dry PC games like sierra's quest series, Stock Market sims, Flight/space/submarine sims and war strategy. So it really depends on the individual... I think my attention span is actually shorter these days when it comes to games.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Wemhim256"][QUOTE="kingsy_the_one"][QUOTE="chrisdojo"]the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... kingsy_the_one

Well, M Rated games these days dont have to be all that violent.. It still sickens me to have kids talk about Nintendo's 'Kiddie' image, because they feel more mature saying it.. They're too young to have grown up on the NES & SNES, and see Sony and Micro as more Mature...

I grew up with Nintendo and I think that they never grew up with me. I'm not saying they had to stop the mario games, but they never created new IPs to cater to the audience that grew up with them. In fact they seem to blatantly ignore it more and more as time goes on.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
I dont know why people are so obsesed with the Letter is on the box. I like playing fun games.
kingsy_the_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kingsy_the_one
[QUOTE="kingsy_the_one"]

[QUOTE="Wemhim256"][QUOTE="kingsy_the_one"][QUOTE="chrisdojo"]the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... Bread_or_Decide

I grew up with Nintendo and I think that they never grew up with me. I'm not saying they had to stop the mario games, but they never created new IPs to cater to the audience that grew up with them. In fact they seem to blatantly ignore it more and more as time goes on.

Nintendo doesn't need the new IPs, which it does have, ie. Pikmin, one of the most enjoyable and creative games of last gen, for us to keep the oldschool memories with us.. I'd much rather Nintendo franchises...
Wemhim256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wemhim256

[QUOTE="Wemhim256"][QUOTE="kingsy_the_one"][QUOTE="chrisdojo"]the dumbest thought process ever: you're mature when you play mature games..... kingsy_the_one

That's true, Earthbound and Battletoads are both high up in my favorite games, I too get annoyed listening to people like that, Halo isn't mature, neither is Mario Bros, violence isn't mature, but, it sometimes is, I'd say a game with violence can make it a mature aspect, something like a drama film, not a Stallone action flick, but a mature drama, the problem is most games use violence in a fun way, not in a serious way. Killer7, however, I think the ending was done in a mature way(Not the very end, but at the end on the Hotel Roof(No spoilers). Stuff like that, but some games just do it to have awesome explosive effects, which I don't mind, but it's not mature, just neutral.
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
I for one like the way Nintendo does things. Gives me more chances to play video games with my younger siblings (some of which get a little out of hand playing shooters or violent games). Not to mention the fact that I tend to like the more light hearted games.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="kingsy_the_one"]

Nintendo doesn't need the new IPs, which it does have, ie. Pikmin, one of the most enjoyable and creative games of last gen, for us to keep the oldschool memories with us.. I'd much rather Nintendo franchises...

I would prefer a healthy mix of old and new. But thats me.

Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
I for one like the way Nintendo does things. Gives me more chances to play video games with my younger siblings (some of which get a little out of hand playing shooters or violent games). Not to mention the fact that I tend to like the more light hearted games.t2wave
Same here, while I am the only one that plays at home, I too prefer the light hearted games. While I really like all kinds of games, I actually stopped playing God Of War II in the middle and now get hardly any sleep playing Super Paper Mario, and during my breaks at my jobs I play Yoshi's Island 2 on my DS (can't wait for Phoenix Wright 3)
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
I used to play "Nightmare Creatures" for N64 when I was 6... M rated games are overrated...
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts
"Ghostly man cometh"
chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 chicken008
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts
These kids probably bought the 50 cent game..