If Nintendo announce Switch Pro, will it counts as in the same gen as the Switch?

• 66 results
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#51 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6179 Posts

@Planeforger said:

It depends what you mean.

If Nintendo releases a new Switch five years from now with different hardware and a new range of titles, then...sure, that's basically just the start of a new console gen.

If Nintendo releases a smaller upgrade like the PS4 Pro, then no, it's the same gen.

this

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#52 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6179 Posts
@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:

Just realized I got the answer already. Wii to Wii U. Almost same name, different spec.

Unless Nintendo came out and officially stated it is the successor to the previous console, it is the same family of console (Switch).

The Wii U is a completely different console from the Wii and Nintendo officially came out stating it was the Wii's successor.

Having a mid-gen revision does not count as a new console, even if there was one or two titles that came out exclusively compatible with it, like how that was the case for the New 3DS XL. It was still in the 3DS family of consoles.

I got my own opinion formed already. Gameboy to Gameboy Color is kind of a mid gen upgrade but later considered its own gen.

There is the Gameboy family & the Gameboy Advanced family

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#53 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4167 Posts

Thought everyone considered Xbone X and PS4 Pro the same gen as the vanilla machines. Not sure why a Switch Pro would be any different.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1333 Posts

@sakaixx: no.

And odds are it will be less of an upgrade than PS4 Pro (much less X), assuming what we got this year isn’t “switch pro” already.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#55 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11939 Posts

@wolfpup7: based on? If they go to the next tegra that alone would yield a huge boost to the system.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#56  Edited By sakaiXx  Online
Member since 2013 • 6527 Posts

@svaubel: simply due to power. If the pro upgrade is big enough to causes dev to leave the base model does we still consider it in the same gen?

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 wolfpup7

@xantufrog: if you’re asking why it’s not a new system, it’s answered in the question. A “pro” model by definition is an upgraded model, not a new generation, and based on past releases with Nintendo, would have at best a handful of games requiring the new hardware.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By wolfpup7

@sakaixx: I’d consider it the same hardware generation, but a new system, if it ended up with its own significant library.

Gameboy Color is a new generation IMO as it has its own library (and is a big upgrade). Wii is too (despite being far less of an upgrade than ps4Pro/One X are)

DSi and New 3DS aren’t, and presumably the equivalent for Switch wouldn’t be either.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 wolfpup7

@blueinheaven: from speculation I’ve read based on what would be available for them to use, I’d guess they’d be able to sustain higher clocks, and possibly stay at higher resolutions more often in games with dynamic resolutions.

For some games it wouldn’t matter, got others you’d probably get a noticeable performance or resolution boost.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11939 Posts

@wolfpup7: no, I'm asking why you think "odds are it will be less of an upgrade than PS4 Pro"

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 wolfpup7

@xantufrog: that’s based on digital foundry’s analysis of it. Nintendo doesn’t have much to work with, and the chip already in the lite and updated “regular” model is probably the same thing...I mean they could have already used it in a “pro” model, but are just using it for more battery life instead.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By sakaiXx  Online

@wolfpup7: it all depends how much of the game is exclusive to the switch pro. If there is over 100 games that is exclusive to switch pro compared to just 4 on the New 3ds, we have to separate them.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 wolfpup7

@sakaixx: yeah, I agree. I doubt that will happen, based on dsi and new 3ds, but if it did...

Plus really, considering Switch has a surprising number of ports from Xbox one and PS4, I even more doubt developers will ignore it if a “pro” model hits, but hypothetically.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 sakaiXx  Online

@wolfpup7: unfortunately those ports is really hitting switch limit. Next gen games will really needs more than just miracles.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 wolfpup7

@sakaixx: I’m genuinely surprised it has so many and they’re apparently mostly good.

I’m actually debating buying mutant year zero though, as reviews mostly seem to indicate that the resolution is so low it actually wrecks gameplay.

Anyway, I guess I consider switch current gen, since it’s actually rubbing some real, full blown current gen games...I mean if it had a legit Witcher 3 port...

(Yeah, I’m annoying and think of generations as hardware capabilities instead of release date lol)

NerdRAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#66 NerdRAGE
Member since 2019 • 33 Posts

The answer is yes.

Unless the progression in hardware breaks compatibility as it did with the Wii and Wii U.