If Nintendo announce Switch Pro, will it counts as in the same gen as the Switch?

• 66 results
sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Especially if some games is not compatible with old Switch. Nintendo has experimented on this with Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire emblem Warriors only for the "new" 3ds.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

PotAto

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yup & it'll probably happen at some stage but I personally don't want it to be the case. I just like the way everything is right now. :P

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19564 Posts

It depends what you mean.

If Nintendo releases a new Switch five years from now with different hardware and a new range of titles, then...sure, that's basically just the start of a new console gen.

If Nintendo releases a smaller upgrade like the PS4 Pro, then no, it's the same gen.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

Most likely yes.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sakaiXx

Just realized I got the answer already. Wii to Wii U. Almost same name, different spec.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Planeforger: Nailed it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

I can totally see them doing it. Revealing Bayonetta 3 and the new Metroid running on the Pro.

And the generational stuff is so whatever these days. Everyone keeps putting out products.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Yes.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

😆

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

The answer it always going to be a yes. Same situation with PS4 to PS4 Pro.

Wait a minute, you did this on purpose didn't ya? Clever gir ;)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44107 Posts

Yes.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Hopefully they can come up with better joycons with the new Switch model. I can't play Mario Odyssey because the current joycons are so shitty.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

gens lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It's more likely they will expand upon ideas like Labo and RingFit, and introduce a way of playing Switch games in 3D.

I think Nintendo has been very experimental with new ways of controlling games in recent years, and I tend to think Labo and Labo VR, and now the Ring and the Pokemon Sleep thing, are a part of a greater idea they want to eventually realize.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Just realized I got the answer already. Wii to Wii U. Almost same name, different spec.

Unless Nintendo came out and officially stated it is the successor to the previous console, it is the same family of console (Switch).

The Wii U is a completely different console from the Wii and Nintendo officially came out stating it was the Wii's successor.

Having a mid-gen revision does not count as a new console, even if there was one or two titles that came out exclusively compatible with it, like how that was the case for the New 3DS XL. It was still in the 3DS family of consoles.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I can totally see them doing it. Revealing Bayonetta 3 and the new Metroid running on the Pro.

And the generational stuff is so whatever these days. Everyone keeps putting out products.

Said what I was going to.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

If they make something like that, maybe it'll finally catch up with the base Xbox One.

Won't matter in the long run, since they'll be dead in the water (again) once the PS5 and Xbox Scarlet come out next year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@Planeforger said:

It depends what you mean.

If Nintendo releases a new Switch five years from now with different hardware and a new range of titles, then...sure, that's basically just the start of a new console gen.

If Nintendo releases a smaller upgrade like the PS4 Pro, then no, it's the same gen.

Nail on the head.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Yes if new games dont run on older hardware.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

What will the Switch Pro be like? Will games run at 721p with their amazing upgrade instead of 720? lol

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

If it has it's own exclusives(games not playable on base switch), then it should be considered a new generation. Ps4 Pro never had exclusives that base ps4 didn't have.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sakaiXx

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:

Unless Nintendo came out and officially stated it is the successor to the previous console, it is the same family of console (Switch).

The Wii U is a completely different console from the Wii and Nintendo officially came out stating it was the Wii's successor.

Having a mid-gen revision does not count as a new console, even if there was one or two titles that came out exclusively compatible with it, like how that was the case for the New 3DS XL. It was still in the 3DS family of consoles.

I got my own opinion formed already. Gameboy to Gameboy Color is kind of a mid gen upgrade but later considered its own gen.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sakaiXx
@blueinheaven said:

What will the Switch Pro be like? Will games run at 721p with their amazing upgrade instead of 720? lol

Games that run in 360p portable like Xenoblade 2 finally runs on 720p portable mode ha ha.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

New 3DS is the same gen as 3DS, much like DSi was to DS, PS4 Pro to PS4, and Xbox One X to Xbox One.

Of course a Switch Pro would be the same to Switch.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't know anymore. I guess it depends on how substantial of an upgrade it is.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jaydan

@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:

I got my own opinion formed already. Gameboy to Gameboy Color is kind of a mid gen upgrade but later considered its own gen.

An opinion over a matter of fact? Hiding behind an 'opinion' does not change a fact, it just makes you ignorant.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sakaiXx

@jaydan: its a valid opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Sony and Microsoft should fear the switch PRO it'll outsell next gen consoles easily

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jaydan

@sakaixx: it's all good, it's perfectly okay to take pride in your own ignorance.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

yes

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sakaiXx

@jaydan: thanks. Glad gameboy color existed to reinforce my opinion.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Just stop sakai...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sakaiXx

@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jaydan

@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Being a weasel in your own threads does not help with getting you taken seriously.

The fact that your question has already been answered yet you hide behind a oPiNiOn shows just how much a dunce of a cow you are. You are looking for nothing else but to sniffle your fanboy drivel, not having actual answers.

People here just don't take you seriously because your posting habits show the kind of joke you are.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

gens lol

gens?

where we are going we don't need gens

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sakaiXx

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Being a weasel in your own threads does not help with getting you taken seriously.

The fact that your question has already been answered yet you hide behind a oPiNiOn shows just how much a dunce of a cow you are. You are looking for nothing else but to sniffle your fanboy drivel, not having actual answers.

People here just don't take you seriously because your posting habits show the kind of joke you are.

Cool. Appreciate your opinion and yes, my question has been answered thanks to myself realizing Gameboy Color exist that helped me forming a good understanding of the question I posted. 🥰🥰

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jaydan

@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Cool. Appreciate your opinion and yes, my question has been answered thanks to myself realizing Gameboy Color exist that helped me forming a good understanding of the question I posted. 🥰🥰

Lol oooh, look how savvy you are. Like I said before, you are entitled to your own ignorance.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sakaiXx

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Lol oooh, look how savvy you are. Like I said before, you are entitled to your own ignorance.

Welcome, your input been helpful.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jaydan

@sakaixx: you're welcome, Mr. "I got nothing else to say / k thx" Guy.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator

Man, Jaydan is brutal in this thread lol.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sakaiXx

@jaydan: welcome, your input have been helpful.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Of course.

Even if they did the "new 3DS thing", that would clearly be same gen - because only a few games were actually exclusive to new 3DS (so few that it was probably stupid to even do that).

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

A pro version would make Switch owners angry in my opinion as a Tegra X2 has 2x the memory bandwidth and a more efficient GPU cores so you could push clock speeds much higher for the same power draw not to mention that it would have more RAM.

Its why I don't think they would called it a pro but rather a new name or a Switch 2... Double the ram amount with higher bandwidth and more higher clocks on CPU/GPU side even with the same stream processor count could make a game from playable to not especially when it comes to ports which require more RAM.

The biggest issue with the Switch is its main selling point, its a portable console and GPU SOC development for low powered hardware hasn't changed much in the last 4 years, so chances are majority of games on even a Switch 2 will be easily portable to the Switch.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

A pro version would make Switch owners angry in my opinion as a Tegra X2 has 2x the memory bandwidth and a more efficient GPU cores so you could push clock speeds much higher for the same power draw not to mention that it would have more RAM.

Its why I don't think they would called it a pro but rather a new name or a Switch 2... Double the ram amount with higher bandwidth and more higher clocks on CPU/GPU side even with the same stream processor count could make a game from playable to not especially when it comes to ports which require more RAM.

The biggest issue with the Switch is its main selling point, its a portable console and GPU SOC development for low powered hardware hasn't changed much in the last 4 years, so chances are majority of games on even a Switch 2 will be easily portable to the Switch.

In all honesty, I'm totally fine with the Switch as it is and I only use it to play exclusive games only, so Switch not being as powerful doesn't concern me, Nintendo's selling point is always going to be exclusive games. All 3rd-party games will be play on my PC anyways and I'm sure others feel that way too. Having a Switch Pro only serves a purpose if anyone plays 3rd-party on it.

Switch Pro makes no sense indeed. Better for Nintendo just go ahead and make next-gen console instead.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7221 Posts

If there is one I think it will just upscale games to 1080p. I don't think Nintendo need to release a powerhouse console. I think they want to get the switch to the cheapest possible price.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

In all honesty, I'm totally fine with the Switch as it is and I only use it to play exclusive games only, so Switch not being as powerful doesn't concern me, Nintendo's selling point is always going to be exclusive games. All 3rd-party games will be play on my PC anyways and I'm sure others feel that way too. Having a Switch Pro only serves a purpose if anyone plays 3rd-party on it.

Switch Pro makes no sense indeed. Better for Nintendo just go ahead and make next-gen console instead.

Or build a dock with internal hardware to go along with a Switch 2 so when you dock it you can run games at much higher resolutions and keep a steady framerate. While I love Breath of the Wild it looks pretty dated on my 55" 4K TV and a resolution bump to 1440p would go a long way.

I don't see them making another console ever again to be honest.

They could run Tegra X2 on a Switch 2 and the dock could could act as a external GPU that connects to the system with USB-C and could have a GTX 1650 Max Q a mobile GPU that would fit in a small enclosure and could be cooled easy and would run without a external power brick with ease. It would be 3-4x the performance of a Switch and would be able to run Nintendo games at 1440p 30FPS with ease.

A external GPU approach is there only real option if they want some that would be considered a generation ahead of a Switch.