If Nintendo announce Switch Pro, will it counts as in the same gen as the Switch?

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

Especially if some games is not compatible with old Switch. Nintendo has experimented on this with Xenoblade Chronicles, Fire emblem Warriors only for the "new" 3ds.

Avatar image for TJDMHEM
TJDMHEM

2688

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 2688 Posts

yes

Avatar image for TheEroica
TheEroica

18558

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 18558 Posts

PotAto

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

2153

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2153 Posts

Yup & it'll probably happen at some stage but I personally don't want it to be the case. I just like the way everything is right now. :P

Avatar image for Planeforger
Planeforger

18163

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 18163 Posts

It depends what you mean.

If Nintendo releases a new Switch five years from now with different hardware and a new range of titles, then...sure, that's basically just the start of a new console gen.

If Nintendo releases a smaller upgrade like the PS4 Pro, then no, it's the same gen.

Avatar image for outworld222
outworld222

3030

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 3030 Posts

Most likely yes.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

Just realized I got the answer already. Wii to Wii U. Almost same name, different spec.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

5596

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 VFighter  Online
Member since 2016 • 5596 Posts

@Planeforger: Nailed it.

Avatar image for freedomfreak
freedomfreak

51421

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51421 Posts

I can totally see them doing it. Revealing Bayonetta 3 and the new Metroid running on the Pro.

And the generational stuff is so whatever these days. Everyone keeps putting out products.

Avatar image for onesiphorus
onesiphorus

3001

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3001 Posts

Yes.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

11909

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#12 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 11909 Posts

😆

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39342 Posts

The answer it always going to be a yes. Same situation with PS4 to PS4 Pro.

Wait a minute, you did this on purpose didn't ya? Clever gir ;)

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

28969

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28969 Posts

Yes.

Avatar image for PurpleMan5000
PurpleMan5000

9868

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 9868 Posts

Hopefully they can come up with better joycons with the new Switch model. I can't play Mario Odyssey because the current joycons are so shitty.

Avatar image for enzyme36
enzyme36

4322

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4322 Posts

gens lol

Avatar image for Ovirew
Ovirew

9231

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#17 Ovirew
Member since 2008 • 9231 Posts

It's more likely they will expand upon ideas like Labo and RingFit, and introduce a way of playing Switch games in 3D.

I think Nintendo has been very experimental with new ways of controlling games in recent years, and I tend to think Labo and Labo VR, and now the Ring and the Pokemon Sleep thing, are a part of a greater idea they want to eventually realize.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Just realized I got the answer already. Wii to Wii U. Almost same name, different spec.

Unless Nintendo came out and officially stated it is the successor to the previous console, it is the same family of console (Switch).

The Wii U is a completely different console from the Wii and Nintendo officially came out stating it was the Wii's successor.

Having a mid-gen revision does not count as a new console, even if there was one or two titles that came out exclusively compatible with it, like how that was the case for the New 3DS XL. It was still in the 3DS family of consoles.

Avatar image for cainetao11
cainetao11

37021

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 37021 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I can totally see them doing it. Revealing Bayonetta 3 and the new Metroid running on the Pro.

And the generational stuff is so whatever these days. Everyone keeps putting out products.

Said what I was going to.

Avatar image for Metallic_Blade
Metallic_Blade

544

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#20 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 544 Posts

If they make something like that, maybe it'll finally catch up with the base Xbox One.

Won't matter in the long run, since they'll be dead in the water (again) once the PS5 and Xbox Scarlet come out next year.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

54297

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54297 Posts

@Planeforger said:

It depends what you mean.

If Nintendo releases a new Switch five years from now with different hardware and a new range of titles, then...sure, that's basically just the start of a new console gen.

If Nintendo releases a smaller upgrade like the PS4 Pro, then no, it's the same gen.

Nail on the head.

Avatar image for Heil68
Heil68

58270

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58270 Posts

Yes if new games dont run on older hardware.

Avatar image for blueinheaven
blueinheaven

4695

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#23 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 4695 Posts

What will the Switch Pro be like? Will games run at 721p with their amazing upgrade instead of 720? lol

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
JoshRMeyer

10487

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 10487 Posts

If it has it's own exclusives(games not playable on base switch), then it should be considered a new generation. Ps4 Pro never had exclusives that base ps4 didn't have.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#25 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:

Just realized I got the answer already. Wii to Wii U. Almost same name, different spec.

Unless Nintendo came out and officially stated it is the successor to the previous console, it is the same family of console (Switch).

The Wii U is a completely different console from the Wii and Nintendo officially came out stating it was the Wii's successor.

Having a mid-gen revision does not count as a new console, even if there was one or two titles that came out exclusively compatible with it, like how that was the case for the New 3DS XL. It was still in the 3DS family of consoles.

I got my own opinion formed already. Gameboy to Gameboy Color is kind of a mid gen upgrade but later considered its own gen.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#26 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

What will the Switch Pro be like? Will games run at 721p with their amazing upgrade instead of 720? lol

Games that run in 360p portable like Xenoblade 2 finally runs on 720p portable mode ha ha.

Avatar image for Willy105
Willy105

24919

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#27 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 24919 Posts

New 3DS is the same gen as 3DS, much like DSi was to DS, PS4 Pro to PS4, and Xbox One X to Xbox One.

Of course a Switch Pro would be the same to Switch.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
KungfuKitten

26931

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26931 Posts

I don't know anymore. I guess it depends on how substantial of an upgrade it is.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:

Just realized I got the answer already. Wii to Wii U. Almost same name, different spec.

Unless Nintendo came out and officially stated it is the successor to the previous console, it is the same family of console (Switch).

The Wii U is a completely different console from the Wii and Nintendo officially came out stating it was the Wii's successor.

Having a mid-gen revision does not count as a new console, even if there was one or two titles that came out exclusively compatible with it, like how that was the case for the New 3DS XL. It was still in the 3DS family of consoles.

I got my own opinion formed already. Gameboy to Gameboy Color is kind of a mid gen upgrade but later considered its own gen.

An opinion over a matter of fact? Hiding behind an 'opinion' does not change a fact, it just makes you ignorant.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#30 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

@jaydan: its a valid opinion.

Avatar image for ProtossRushX
ProtossRushX

5728

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 5728 Posts

Sony and Microsoft should fear the switch PRO it'll outsell next gen consoles easily

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@sakaixx: it's all good, it's perfectly okay to take pride in your own ignorance.

Avatar image for clone01
clone01

27615

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#33 clone01
Member since 2003 • 27615 Posts

yes

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#34 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

@jaydan: thanks. Glad gameboy color existed to reinforce my opinion.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
lundy86_4

54297

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#35  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 54297 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@jaydan: thanks. Glad gameboy color existed to reinforce my opinion.

Just stop sakai...

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#36 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

@jaydan: thanks. Glad gameboy color existed to reinforce my opinion.

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
MclarenMaster18

1994

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By MclarenMaster18
Member since 2014 • 1994 Posts

Yeah, probably and I guess it will be part of 9th gen.

The same goes that PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are both considered to be upgraded version of PS4/Xbox One to run on 4k resolution, and still part of the 8th gen console era.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#38  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

@jaydan: thanks. Glad gameboy color existed to reinforce my opinion.

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Being a weasel in your own threads does not help with getting you taken seriously.

The fact that your question has already been answered yet you hide behind a oPiNiOn shows just how much a dunce of a cow you are. You are looking for nothing else but to sniffle your fanboy drivel, not having actual answers.

People here just don't take you seriously because your posting habits show the kind of joke you are.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
KBFloYd

22016

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#39 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22016 Posts

@enzyme36 said:

gens lol

gens?

where we are going we don't need gens

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#40 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

@jaydan: thanks. Glad gameboy color existed to reinforce my opinion.

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Being a weasel in your own threads does not help with getting you taken seriously.

The fact that your question has already been answered yet you hide behind a oPiNiOn shows just how much a dunce of a cow you are. You are looking for nothing else but to sniffle your fanboy drivel, not having actual answers.

People here just don't take you seriously because your posting habits show the kind of joke you are.

Cool. Appreciate your opinion and yes, my question has been answered thanks to myself realizing Gameboy Color exist that helped me forming a good understanding of the question I posted. 🥰🥰

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#41  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Being a weasel in your own threads does not help with getting you taken seriously.

The fact that your question has already been answered yet you hide behind a oPiNiOn shows just how much a dunce of a cow you are. You are looking for nothing else but to sniffle your fanboy drivel, not having actual answers.

People here just don't take you seriously because your posting habits show the kind of joke you are.

Cool. Appreciate your opinion and yes, my question has been answered thanks to myself realizing Gameboy Color exist that helped me forming a good understanding of the question I posted. 🥰🥰

Lol oooh, look how savvy you are. Like I said before, you are entitled to your own ignorance.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#42 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@jaydan said:
@sakaixx said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Just stop sakai...

Dang, failed. ok.

Being a weasel in your own threads does not help with getting you taken seriously.

The fact that your question has already been answered yet you hide behind a oPiNiOn shows just how much a dunce of a cow you are. You are looking for nothing else but to sniffle your fanboy drivel, not having actual answers.

People here just don't take you seriously because your posting habits show the kind of joke you are.

Cool. Appreciate your opinion and yes, my question has been answered thanks to myself realizing Gameboy Color exist that helped me forming a good understanding of the question I posted. 🥰🥰

Lol oooh, look how savvy you are. Like I said before, you are entitled to your own ignorance.

Welcome, your input been helpful.

Avatar image for jaydan
jaydan

2756

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#43 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 2756 Posts

@sakaixx: you're welcome, Mr. "I got nothing else to say / k thx" Guy.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#44 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39342 Posts

Man, Jaydan is brutal in this thread lol.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

6497

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#45 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6497 Posts

@jaydan: welcome, your input have been helpful.

Avatar image for 2Chalupas
2Chalupas

7122

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#46 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7122 Posts

Of course.

Even if they did the "new 3DS thing", that would clearly be same gen - because only a few games were actually exclusive to new 3DS (so few that it was probably stupid to even do that).

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
Grey_Eyed_Elf

6567

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#47 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6567 Posts

A pro version would make Switch owners angry in my opinion as a Tegra X2 has 2x the memory bandwidth and a more efficient GPU cores so you could push clock speeds much higher for the same power draw not to mention that it would have more RAM.

Its why I don't think they would called it a pro but rather a new name or a Switch 2... Double the ram amount with higher bandwidth and more higher clocks on CPU/GPU side even with the same stream processor count could make a game from playable to not especially when it comes to ports which require more RAM.

The biggest issue with the Switch is its main selling point, its a portable console and GPU SOC development for low powered hardware hasn't changed much in the last 4 years, so chances are majority of games on even a Switch 2 will be easily portable to the Switch.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

39342

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#48 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39342 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

A pro version would make Switch owners angry in my opinion as a Tegra X2 has 2x the memory bandwidth and a more efficient GPU cores so you could push clock speeds much higher for the same power draw not to mention that it would have more RAM.

Its why I don't think they would called it a pro but rather a new name or a Switch 2... Double the ram amount with higher bandwidth and more higher clocks on CPU/GPU side even with the same stream processor count could make a game from playable to not especially when it comes to ports which require more RAM.

The biggest issue with the Switch is its main selling point, its a portable console and GPU SOC development for low powered hardware hasn't changed much in the last 4 years, so chances are majority of games on even a Switch 2 will be easily portable to the Switch.

In all honesty, I'm totally fine with the Switch as it is and I only use it to play exclusive games only, so Switch not being as powerful doesn't concern me, Nintendo's selling point is always going to be exclusive games. All 3rd-party games will be play on my PC anyways and I'm sure others feel that way too. Having a Switch Pro only serves a purpose if anyone plays 3rd-party on it.

Switch Pro makes no sense indeed. Better for Nintendo just go ahead and make next-gen console instead.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
robert_sparkes

3519

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#49 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 3519 Posts

If there is one I think it will just upscale games to 1080p. I don't think Nintendo need to release a powerhouse console. I think they want to get the switch to the cheapest possible price.

Avatar image for Grey_Eyed_Elf
Grey_Eyed_Elf

6567

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#50 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 6567 Posts

@davillain- said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

A pro version would make Switch owners angry in my opinion as a Tegra X2 has 2x the memory bandwidth and a more efficient GPU cores so you could push clock speeds much higher for the same power draw not to mention that it would have more RAM.

Its why I don't think they would called it a pro but rather a new name or a Switch 2... Double the ram amount with higher bandwidth and more higher clocks on CPU/GPU side even with the same stream processor count could make a game from playable to not especially when it comes to ports which require more RAM.

The biggest issue with the Switch is its main selling point, its a portable console and GPU SOC development for low powered hardware hasn't changed much in the last 4 years, so chances are majority of games on even a Switch 2 will be easily portable to the Switch.

In all honesty, I'm totally fine with the Switch as it is and I only use it to play exclusive games only, so Switch not being as powerful doesn't concern me, Nintendo's selling point is always going to be exclusive games. All 3rd-party games will be play on my PC anyways and I'm sure others feel that way too. Having a Switch Pro only serves a purpose if anyone plays 3rd-party on it.

Switch Pro makes no sense indeed. Better for Nintendo just go ahead and make next-gen console instead.

Or build a dock with internal hardware to go along with a Switch 2 so when you dock it you can run games at much higher resolutions and keep a steady framerate. While I love Breath of the Wild it looks pretty dated on my 55" 4K TV and a resolution bump to 1440p would go a long way.

I don't see them making another console ever again to be honest.

They could run Tegra X2 on a Switch 2 and the dock could could act as a external GPU that connects to the system with USB-C and could have a GTX 1650 Max Q a mobile GPU that would fit in a small enclosure and could be cooled easy and would run without a external power brick with ease. It would be 3-4x the performance of a Switch and would be able to run Nintendo games at 1440p 30FPS with ease.

A external GPU approach is there only real option if they want some that would be considered a generation ahead of a Switch.