If Microsoft manages to get Game Pass and XCloud exclusivity on Switch.....

Avatar image for daniel_su123
#1 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (1043 posts) -

There are some credible rumours that Nintendo and Microsoft are working on 'something'. We know that Xbox Live is already on Switch with Minecraft, but we are already seeing more Xbox Live enabled titles on Switch. However IF Microsoft manages to become the exclusive partner by putting XCloud and Game Pass on Switch, it would be game changing.

This would mean that Xbox has access to the Japanese market, having Japanese game developers developing on Xbox Console XCloud Servers to target the Switch is what I think MS angle that would happen.

However, the cost will be massive for Nintendo, as this would bring the death of native third-party titles to the Switch, since Cloud >>> Native, Cloud simply has more developer power.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#2 Posted by I_P_Daily (11434 posts) -

@daniel_su123: I think you think too much, spend some of that free time gaming :)

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#3 Edited by Shewgenja (21207 posts) -

I relish it when the fanbase that spent 3/4 of a generation saying that "exclusives don't matter" ride on Nintendos coattails.

Avatar image for sakaixx
#4 Posted by sakaiXx (5316 posts) -

Dang that is actually huge. You dont even need xbox anymore now, good riddance.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#5 Posted by Ant_17 (12160 posts) -

If they manage that, they are officially a 3rd party publisher being jelly of Sony more than Epic being jelly of Steam.

Avatar image for fedor
#6 Edited by Fedor (4639 posts) -

Chalk this up to the 30th wild prediction/leak OP has presented that will not bear any fruit.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#7 Edited by Shewgenja (21207 posts) -

All joking aside. Seeing Microsofts first part hamstrung to making 9th gen games run on Switch is amazeballs funny and would hand Sony a gigantic W all over again.

Third party would be first to skip on it.

Avatar image for sovkhan
#8 Posted by sovkhan (1260 posts) -

Native>>>>>>Cloud /thread

It's not about the numbers, artistry is what matters most!!!

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#9 Posted by storm_of_swords (2746 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:

Cloud >>> Native

No, it isn't. I would always purchase a native game over a cloud only game.

Avatar image for speedytimsi
#10 Posted by speedytimsi (931 posts) -

Haha....no

You do understand why the Xbox band doesn't sell well in Japan right?

Avatar image for daredevils2k
#11 Posted by Daredevils2k (2011 posts) -

Congratulations

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#12 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (621 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:

There are some credible rumours that Nintendo and Microsoft are working on 'something'. We know that Xbox Live is already on Switch with Minecraft, but we are already seeing more Xbox Live enabled titles on Switch. However IF Microsoft manages to become the exclusive partner by putting XCloud and Game Pass on Switch, it would be game changing.

This would mean that Xbox has access to the Japanese market, having Japanese game developers developing on Xbox Console XCloud Servers to target the Switch is what I think MS angle that would happen.

However, the cost will be massive for Nintendo, as this would bring the death of native third-party titles to the Switch, since Cloud >>> Native, Cloud simply has more developer power.

Now the new claim is "Switch will save the Xbone" 😂

Avatar image for npiet1
#13 Posted by npiet1 (2094 posts) -

I would be very happy with this.

Avatar image for luxuryheart
#14 Posted by LuxuryHeart (1032 posts) -
@Ant_17 said:

If they manage that, they are officially a 3rd party publisher being jelly of Sony more than Epic being jelly of Steam.

I have proof that Epic is superior to Steam. Right now Steam is mad because Epic is bullying them. Epic is bullying Steam because they realize that Steam is too POOR to fight back. Epic worked too hard for people like you to say that they're jelly of Steam when it's the other way around. Epic is too RICH to be jealous of Steam and Steam is too POOR to not envy Epic.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#15 Posted by lundy86_4 (52725 posts) -

@luxuryheart said:

I have proof that Epic is superior to Steam. Right now Steam is mad because Epic is bullying them. Epic is bullying Steam because they realize that Steam is too POOR to fight back. Epic worked too hard for people like you to say that they're jelly of Steam when it's the other way around. Epic is too RICH to be jealous of Steam and Steam is too POOR to not envy Epic.

I came in here to read the thread, but dude... You have some issues.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#16 Edited by Sancho_Panzer (814 posts) -

I agree that a bridge between their markets would make a lot of sense for both companies. I still haven't got much faith in streaming, but that's just a gut feeling. Maybe it would work out for them. I mean, it wouldn't hurt MS to have more presence in e.g. Japan over the hundred units they sell annually, or whatever it is, but I couldn't see it denting the competition much at all. You have to wonder how mutually beneficial it would really be. It would at least be a foundation for a more interesting future partnership I suppose.

Re. native game support on Switch: As @Shewgenja said, porting enough stuff over to make native GP worth their while would probably be a huge undertaking. I imagine there are a slew of other strategic worries for both companies to prevent them from committing too quickly to anything that big just yet. I don't doubt we'll see more ports of standalone Xbox titles in the coming years, I'm just not so sure we'll get whole native services anytime soon.

I'll throw in a cross-platform VR headset as a million-to-one suggestion. Both companies have expressed an interest in VR but neither seems committed enough to jump all the way in, so maybe they could pool resources and divide the risk. A single unit which would be compatible with MS and Nintendo's systems might tempt reluctant customers to buy into VR. It could also push a few more consoles for both. Win-win.

Avatar image for BassMan
#17 Edited by BassMan (10037 posts) -

Not sure how Game Pass would work as Switch hardware is even more shit than an Xbox. No interest in XCloud as stream gaming is shit quality. However, if people are playing on their Switch, they don't really care about quality anyway. So, it is a good fit.

Avatar image for daniel_su123
#18 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (1043 posts) -
@storm_of_swords said:
@daniel_su123 said:

Cloud >>> Native

No, it isn't. I would always purchase a native game over a cloud only game.

But developer power favours Cloud over Native. What incentive does a Japanese company, for example, have to develop for Switch when they can simply use XCloud to stream a full console game to Switch?

Avatar image for boxrekt2
#19 Edited by BoxRekt2 (23 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

I relish it when the fanbase that spent 3/4 of a generation saying that "exclusives don't matter" ride on Nintendos coattails.

And the added fact that the OP is just bragging about MS's potential pocketbook from whoring out Xbox fans last bragging right to Nintendo and not MS giving back actual games to xbox fans let's us know these guys don't even really care about games anymore.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#20 Posted by Sevenizz (3643 posts) -

In retrospect, will those of us who prefer Xbox over the Switch - will we get Nintendo exclusives or some titles?

We should, no?

Avatar image for boxrekt2
#21 Posted by BoxRekt2 (23 posts) -

@Sevenizz:

You know that's a no!

Phil nor the heads at MS care about xbox console customers and aren't going to lift a finger to enhance your gaming experience because they view you as the lowest priority over all other gaming demographics.

All of your games would simply go over to Nintendo and that's it! MS may bless you by increasing the price of XBL though because they know you guys like paying more for less.

Avatar image for Litchie
#22 Posted by Litchie (23718 posts) -

I've no problem with Nintendo and Microsoft cooperating. Nintendo are great with games, but shit with online. MS is the opposite. They could definitely help eachother out.

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#23 Posted by storm_of_swords (2746 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@daniel_su123 said:

Cloud >>> Native

No, it isn't. I would always purchase a native game over a cloud only game.

But developer power favours Cloud over Native. What incentive does a Japanese company, for example, have to develop for Switch when they can simply use XCloud to stream a full console game to Switch?

The fact that any company that develops a game exclusively for streaming without a native version would be greatly limiting their potential audience as there are many gamers that hate streaming and will avoid any games that are exclusively streaming.

Avatar image for daniel_su123
#24 Edited by Daniel_Su123 (1043 posts) -
@storm_of_swords said:
@daniel_su123 said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@daniel_su123 said:

Cloud >>> Native

No, it isn't. I would always purchase a native game over a cloud only game.

But developer power favours Cloud over Native. What incentive does a Japanese company, for example, have to develop for Switch when they can simply use XCloud to stream a full console game to Switch?

The fact that any company that develops a game exclusively for streaming without a native version would be greatly limiting their potential audience as there are many gamers that hate streaming and will avoid any games that are exclusively streaming.

I or anyone never said that companies will develop for Streaming only, however, it seems like Microsoft has much more reach to target natively and through Streaming. PS games don't work on PC, Mobile, Microsoft's platform is rumoured to be native on PC as well as Xbox Consoles, potentially Mobile devices if Windows further adapts to more mobile-like form factors.

Avatar image for raining51
#25 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

Who cares were done with Microsoft the X one sold 1/3 of the PS4 and barely beat the 150 year old company....

Where are htey on the streaming thing? On any number of things? Nowhere to be found...

MS just came to conquer Bill gates super saxon style and now they have and now they're off buying robot islands or something.

I don't want to say good riddance because perhaps the competition was good value and healthy fo r capitalism and video games to an extent but

video games has plenty of other competitors . .. they're kinda everywhere actually....

And one day maybe we can figure out something interesting about the Xbox suite of machines but basically this was all just one giant nerd war with a ton

of casualties on all the sides.

I'm rather interested in the streaming era at this point especially if google makes a machine stand-alone or if you just count the servers as a system

it's interesting and I think they're in it for more than conan barbarian conquests.

Avatar image for HalcyonScarlet
#26 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (8351 posts) -

@storm_of_swords said:
@daniel_su123 said:

Cloud >>> Native

No, it isn't. I would always purchase a native game over a cloud only game.

Definitely. I have reliable fast enough fibre broadband, but it's not 100% of the time in peak speed or connection reliable, most of the time it's great, but anything under 100% is not good enough for gaming or running software imo. And until these company's can promise that 100%, which they can't, cloud services will just be an extra for me, nothing more.

Avatar image for BigBadBully
#27 Posted by BigBadBully (2150 posts) -

Doubt Xcloud would be exclusive to Switch. MS plan to reach billions, Xcloud will target probably any device capable of connecting to internet and see what 5G can do for mobile.

Getting a Xcloud app/whatever on Switch would def. Be a nice start for MS in reaching its goal.