If marketed right, could NX outpace PS4/Xbox One?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Poll If marketed right, could NX outpace PS4/Xbox One? (91 votes)

Yes. 26%
No. 57%
Not sure. 16%

OutPACE, not outSELL. As in sell faster than the PS4/Xbox One did at launch.

Honestly, I doubt it. However, if Nintendo actually markets the darn thing, like they did with the Wii, I think it could happen.

But, all that matters is that it actually sells. We all can agree on that.

Thoughts? Opinions? Would love to hear your take. =P

• 
blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I voted not sure, not because I don't think it's possible but I have no idea what the specs are. If it's significantly more powerful than PS4 and Xbox One (which shouldn't be difficult but Nintendo are such cheapskates) and they get third parties on board they could easily breeze it.

Nintendo being Nintendo I think the hardware will be hilarious specwise once again so yeah... I guess we just wait and see.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

No idea. We're heading into a rather odd situation, where Nintendo is releasing two consoles in the same generation. I'm predicting that Sony and MS intend on having long life cycles (e.g 10 year generation). If this is the case, then Nintendo has a great opportunity to out spec and out price the competition fairly early on in the generation.

But at the same time, it's Nintendo. So who knows.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Have no idea, but I will say no. Other than the Wii fad Nintendo has been eating Sony's butt for 20 years.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

It's very simple.

Nvidia

350$ budget PC > PS4, X1 = NX

Free Online

Third Party Support

BC

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

I think the market see Nintendo as a secondary option. It's either PS4+NX or Xbone+NX and not just NX. Nintendo will have a hard time because of that alone.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Its Nintendo, anything can happen. Look at the Wii U, it prints money.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

@mesome713: it does? I thought that it's a disaster

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

If they release a system that is strong with games that make use of that hardware , like a monster hunter game, I can see it it sell like cupcakes.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

@mesome713 said:

As good as the WiiU is, no it doesn't

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

No, it will fail with the same mistake that Nintendo has been making since the Wii. It may come out as a competing piece of hardware now at the performance levels of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 but it will be short lived when the next PlayStation and Xbox are released likely in 2018-19. Nintendo is behind the hardware development curve and should have delayed for another two years to build a proper system and release in unison with the others, not something that is ideal for right now.

They don't seem to have any forward thinkers at Nintendo, it's just what can we do right now instead of planning for a proper future.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Look no further than the Wii.

It can do both: outpace & outsell. Never underestimate the powers that be.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't think so.

Anything can happen, but that's my best guess...bear in mind we know nothing about the machine yet though so my opinion can change.

My guess is based on gaming history (two systems in one gen) and Nintendo history (underwhelming, sometimes crippling hardware decisions). I just don't have confidence in Nintendo because I'm older and I've been burned more. It's the younger, sometimes more naive Nintendo fans that haven't lived through or know enough that seem adamant about "next time!!!" being better.

The hope and confidence I used to have for Nintendo evaporated in the N64-GC years. The Wii and Wii U were nice machines I enjoyed though, but with adjusted expectations. I'm sure I'll enjoy the NX for whatever it offers although it's existence seems like it will give the Wii U an early death which I'm not pleased about.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

@k--m--k said:

@trollhunter2 said:
@mesome713 said:

I hear yall talking, but all i see is money. Nintendo be laughing all the way to the bank.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56072 Posts

My guess is, not all that many, it's possible that NX could outpace Xbox One but giving the fact that NX probably won't release like 2017, Nintendo has a long ways to go and I honestly don't think 3rd party are ready to jump on this one unless they see something that they like from NX that Xbox One/PS4 doesn't offer, [well yet anyways] it still wouldn't be enough and Nintendo needs to get serious with there new console this time around.

Voted: Not sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

That's a big if, but Nintendo absolutely needs to have aggressive marketing with their next systems.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Hah, not even if hell froze. Nintendo only seems to be releasing systems with gimmicks with not much of game support but from themself.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Marketing is god, so yes, anything is possible with good enough and broad enough marketing.

This gen has shown that actual quality is really only secondary to good marketing when it comes to good sales.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Releasing a console against already established consoles and expecting to compete against them is dumb.

I'm guessing Nintendo are going to aiming at the second or even third console market, pushing out their own titles again. That's why it will fail like the Wii-U.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Mid gen machines never fair well. Sega learned this the hard way, as did Atari. The power doesn't really matter. The message has been simple so far. Get in early, and do it well.

This wont have enough under the bonnet to usher in the next gen, it will be current gen and aiming for current gen multiplats. Whether people are stupid enough to trust Nintendo machines for multiplats is almost irrelevant. Why would you buy one if you already have a machine that plays them? So once again, it's likely to be a Nintendo fan machine. And let's be honest, that hasn't been working out for them.

kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts

I don't know. Why don't you list the complete system specs, launch titles, and third party support?

Don't have that info yet? Then it's too early to tell.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21  Edited By guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Not sure. It really does depend what kind of hardware and support the console is gonna get.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@pikachudude860: Is it possible, yes. It would be extremely hard to do, but it's possible. Personally, I don't think it will happen. The order is too tall. They'll be launching a new system mid gen when people already have a system they think is good enough. Nintendo has to somehow convince those people that they need to fork over another $300-$400 for a system that can play a lot of games that they can already play on the console they own.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5: Well said. I agree.

Though, the idea of having BOTH Nintendo games and 3rd party games all on one console may work out in Nintendo's favor.

For example, You can get Zelda U, AND Dark Souls 3 all on the same system. Nintendo's 1st party games could make the difference.

They could "fork over another $300-$400 for a system that can play a lot of games that they can already play on the console they own." and they could play all of those games, plus Nintendo's games.

Question is, are Nintendo's games going to be enough to make people go out and buy an NX, regardless of the specs?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

based on insufficient info so far, I'd so no. When NX releases the ps4 will have 30 million + userbase.

I'm guessing there is something weird about NX that we don't know yet. It can't just be a normal system and hope to compete. Even if the NX is the most powerful console, the mainstream consumer won't care so much about it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I don't think so, but this is based on having limited knowledge of the console. We'd have to see on release of more info, as to whether it has a chance of competing.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Is it possible? Of course. But it'd have to be a damn good console with some damn good games.

And also, like OP said, marketed extremely well.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

It is possible..just very difficult...everything from reveal, price, games, and support etc all has to go right. :P

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Maybe you could wait to find out ANYTHING concrete about it before predicting success or failure?

Nah, too obvious...

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@mesome713 said:
@k--m--k said:

@trollhunter2 said:
@mesome713 said:

I hear yall talking, but all i see is money. Nintendo be laughing all the way to the bank.

You're actually correct on this. Nintendo makes a profit on every WiiU sold. They aren't losing anything so in fact it is printing them money, maybe not as much as the PS4 but it is printing Nintendo money

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Xbone yes. PS4 no. Now if NX gets all the multiplats, is in the same price range, is significantly more powerful and keeps on delivering its own aaa exclusives, that would be another story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

It shouldn't be trying to outpace PS4.. Because it would be a next generation console wouldn't it? So it should be treated as such. It would have a headstart over PS5 and XBOX TWO :P.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Marketing is king so anything is possible, but I don't see it happening.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

doubt it, the success of the Wii was a fluke, like inventing the biggest Christmas craze everybody had to have like a Flurby or a Tickle Me Elmo, it's gonna be really hard to repeat that, only way I see it is if the new LoZ game is marketed right but I doubt it's going to sell the NX by itself, I figure the rest of third party support will just be same games people can get on an Xbox One and PS4 and PC, and LoZ is still a game Wii U owners can pick up, and they might be bitter at Nintendo for giving that game's lead development target to be an NX killer app and the Wii U the inferior port, I think if that part isn't managed right the repercussions can be huge, that's why I think they're prepping with Twilight Princess, that gift you give before you say you're sorry for the bad news

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Not sure

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

It certainly can, but it requires quite a few things in order to do so.

Some rumors has it that it is a console with its own dedicated handheld, if that is the truth then they can ask a relatively high pricepoint and I suspect it will still sell a lot. How many people bought 3ds systems? well a new system with a console thrown in is not a bad deal, and vice versa, in truth it might be the solution to a lot of problems parents tend to have.

The console itself will likely be more powerful then the PS4, I am not sure you could even make a cheap that weak nowadays, unless you want to revert back to hardware-wise ancient chips. Newer better solutions are already cheaper.

It will not fly and outpace the other consoles if it does not have 3rd party behind it, it will be the biggest issue, if 3rd party goes onboard, and the NX shares architecture with the two others, it will be relatively easy, lets be honest, the X1 and PS4 have not exactly rocked to the world, give the general consumer base at large a better alternative and I suspect you might see many people simply sell off those consoles, unless they are dedicated fanboys (which most ain't).

Sadly Nintendo does have a horrible history with 3rd party, and some speculations with the NX not having a disk drive might turn some people away from it, they might drop the ball pretty badly aswell if the system is not near flawless at launch.

But give me a Nintendo system which has full 3rd party support and see me chug the PS4 pretty fast, Especially if the NX runs the games alot better, with better visuals.

In the end we know very little about the NX, if they make it too weak, too unappealing, a horrible UI or other hardware flaws (like a noisy brick) It could kill it before it comes out the games, if it is merely on the level of the PS4 or X1, then it will likely not (since the PS4 has sold a lot, being the only viable console for many countries).

But there is truth in the saying "never bet against Nintendo" They have been counted out so often, yet proceeded to surpass expectations. (DS and Wii, being the most recent examples).

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

If it had more raw power than the PS4, I guess.

But then again do you actually need those raw power to play Mario, Yoshi, Kirby and Zelda? I'm not sure.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

As i have said multiple times, the NX must be futureproofed against the PS5.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

I think you forgot about this thread.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/nintendo-believes-they-can-exceed-ds-and-wii-era-p-32713063/#56

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GameboyTroy
@flashn00b said:

They can do that or they can release another console a year or 2 after the PS5 is released. That way they will still be competitive and they won't have an underpowered console.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Xbone yes. PS4 no. Now if NX gets all the multiplats, is in the same price range, is significantly more powerful and keeps on delivering its own aaa exclusives, that would be another story.

Same prices? It won't happen, Wii games still sell for 40-60 dollars. Nintendo doesn't want to compete, and it's just fucking up all the way to the moon.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Lets assume the NX is the Nintendo console we always wanted after the SNES, powerful, third party support, a robust no bull controller, better online network (advertising that it's free), stellar launch titles with a good 3D Mario game etc. I think it will sell at the rate the Xbox One is world wide just about, and completely dominate Japan fast. Though it will probably end up being third place in the end, with th 3 year head start the PS4 and Xbox had.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Anything is possible. However, this is extremely unlikely.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

It would need to be of hardware that is attuned to the core gamer with laser precision marketing to accompany said revelation. Pretty much like the PS4 did and is.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

It doesn't need a dumb name for starters.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts
@GameboyTroy said:
@flashn00b said:

They can do that or they can release another console a year or 2 after the PS5 is released. That way they will still be competitive and they won't have an underpowered console.

Optimizing for 2160p30 would give Nintendo a pretty good safety net for when the PS5 is released.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

What Nintendo needs to do is invest in popular genres outside their catalog. Football, Hockey, etc. I know many people that feel the latest sports lineup of games(save for pes) are really lacking behind the times. If Nintendo hit this market and produced quality games in the field, then that consumer would run out and buy the hardware specifically for those games.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

I hope it does well enough to be relevant.

It needs to slow down PS4/XB1 sales so we're not waiting another 6 years for new consoles.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GameboyTroy

@Heirren said:

What Nintendo needs to do is invest in popular genres outside their catalog. Football, Hockey, etc. I know many people that feel the latest sports lineup of games(save for pes) are really lacking behind the times. If Nintendo hit this market and produced quality games in the field, then that consumer would run out and buy the hardware specifically for those games.

Yeah, Nintendo needs to make more sports games, games for their neglected IPs and new IPs and of course they need to have better 3rd party support. They have to make quality games too.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Heirren said:

That didn't save Sega.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

This is Nintendo. So no, not a chance. The sheep will eat it up, but nobody else will until Nintendo gets 3rd party support.