If Kinect dies, so will Rare.

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

Rare are nothing but a glimmer of their n64 glory days, and have been relegated to developing Kinect games, so what do you think will happen now that Microsoft removes mandatory Kinect? The answer is they will die off. Please give your opinions.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Why would they die off?

MS didn't kill Kinect. They made it optional. Kinect was optional last gen, and that didn't stop Rare from making Kinect games.

With a little luck, they'll actually make a non-kinect game.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Rare died when Micro$oft bought them.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Isn't Rare pretty much already dead?

I thought they basically just exist in name anymore

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61466 Posts

The Kinect is still available, for those who want it. Still, I don't really care what happens to Rare (poet).

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

you say that like they're alive now. trust me Rare is only alive in name the talented people that made the company famous have quit and most likely started their own studios or work elsewhere

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

They'll be making real games like Banjo , Conker , Battletoads , etc .... of course. I believe in Phil Spencer.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Bungie is lucky they got away.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Rare died long ago. A ghost can't die. The name Rareware will finally be able to pass onto the other side, and R.I.P.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

If old Rare died, I would've been sad.

If current Rare dies, I couldn't care less.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

so?

what have they done for me lately?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

RARE already died years ago.

What you contemplate might die now is nothing but an imposter, the usurper of the RARE name and legacy.

The studio head was replaced by a Kinect engineer and he shed longtime RARE talent to get the new Kinect focused RARE going. It's all documented for those that actually wanted to see the destruction of RARE of old. The new talent hires to RARE to replace legacy RARE members (From The Stampers to David Wise) have been Kinect focused. No PR and spin of words from an executive like Phil Spencer or PR from Major Nelson can change what happened to RARE.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4204 Posts

They should just aspire to go back and do what worked for them in the late 90s (and the years 2000-2001)

That's my honest opinion.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

"[Rare has] just come off the successful launch of Kinect Sports Rivals," Spencer said. "I think I've heard a few times from people asking about Rare - they're in the process of evaluating what they want to do next, and we're working closely with them to see what their new project will be." Spencer said the "independent-minded" (but Microsoft-owned) studio remains free to pursue the projects that interest it: "So they're free to look at all different kinds of opportunities, they always have been, and we're having a great time trying to work out with them what their next game might be, but we have nothing to announce right now."

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Maybe rare should die off anyways?

People continue to "rave" about them how great they was and now they stink. I wounder how many people are still there that was there during those "great" times?

time for makeover for rare

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

People continue to "rave" about them how great they was and now they stink. I wounder how many people are still there that was there during those "great" times?

I always wonder this about some of these old ass companies. Are they even the same creative minds there? Are they the same talented programmers? There is always a lot of employee turnover in the gaming industry... Even If they are the same people, do they still got it? Have they adapted to new industry standards and updated technologies? So many factors and any way you slice it the RARE from the n64 days is long gone.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 outworld222

Rare is just trying too hard to innovate, taking advantage of things like Kinect rather than just doing what worked best for them.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Banjo Bolts and Kameo were above average games. If MS let Rare do what they want I bet they would make even better games.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Banjo Bolts and Kameo were above average games. If MS let Rare do what they want I bet they would make even better games.

Wouldhave. All rare is good for now is kinect garbage.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I know people that got the Kinect + Xbone + Titanfall bundle for $399 back in MARCH 2014 from M$ directly.

They got a game plus Kinected Xbone for $399. I think they could have done better pricing on a kinectless Xbone for $399. $299-$349 would have been ace. A Kinected Xbone could have been $399-$449. Maybe they are saving that for Xmas or next E3.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I hope they'll be allowed to make proper standalone game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44534 Posts

Just because they're working on Kinect is not a sign for the deterioration of the studios potential. I'm sure they can be repurposed to make non-Kinect games. I wouldn't say Kinect is dead though, at least not to MS, who will likely try to continue to support it whether consumers do or not. And if they reach the conclusion that it's dead, I'm sure they'll at least give Rare a shot at making a non-Kinect game or two before canning the studio, as a gesture to see whether they can be a valuable asset to MS.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

I followed them for a long time.

First game I bought from them was Donkey Kong Country, last game I bought from them was Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

I loved them, but had zero interest in the Kinect stuff.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Rare died a long time ago.

Using the same name does not make them something special. The key members all moved on to other devs or retired.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Rare died a long time ago. The studio calling it self Rare today deserves none of the respect and adoration the Rare of our memories earned.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Rare is dead as a real video games studio. Has been for a long time. Nintendo should have just integrated Rare rather than sell them off completely to Microsoft. Microsoft is actually very much like EA. They bleed great studios through attrition of years of bad games, and then force the studio to be shut down because it's supposedly performing poorly. Ignoring the essential fact it's EA/Microsoft's fault for pushing them off the cliff. Very glad Bungie got away before Microsoft could ruin them like they did Rare and Ensemble.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@lamprey263: I'd agree if the original team was still there but they left. The current team has yet to get an opportunity to prove themselves beyond Kinect games. I'd say they have talent but it's being squandered in order to support Kinect a responsibilty that could be spread out and branched out into other genres besides party games. I mean look at Dance Central and Zumba they proved you can do so much more with it

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#29 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Rare died long time ago.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Kjranu said:

Microsoft is actually very much like EA. They bleed great studios through attrition of years of bad games, and then force the studio to be shut down because it's supposedly performing poorly. Ignoring the essential fact it's EA/Microsoft's fault for pushing them off the cliff. Very glad Bungie got away before Microsoft could ruin them like they did Rare and Ensemble.

Well the problem is that Rare were allowed to be Rare and make Rare games for several years, but gamers simply didn't buy them. Ok Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Perfect Dark Zero weren't great and Conker was just a remake... but Kameo, Viva Pinata 1 and 2 and Banjo Nuts and Bolts were all great games (albeit Banjo should have been a new IP if it wasn't going to be a platformer) that reminded me of Rare's N64 classics.

Yet none of these games sold well at all, I think only Viva Pinata cracked a million sales and the rest languished with just a few hundred thousand copies. That's disastrous for hyped 1st party games. Meanwhile their lame Kinect waggle fest Wii Sports ripoff sold over 5 million.

I'm not defending crap games or saying it's good Rare became a Kinect house but really, I don't see what else MS could have done if gamers simply weren't buying Rare's "real" games. It's sad but true, you just can't have a studio making big budget games if very few gamers are actually buying them.

This is why sales matter btw, they don't mean anything to a gamers enjoyment of a title but they DO mean a great deal in terms of what a gamer's favourite studios, series and genres will do next. If Kameo sold 5 million copies like Gears of War and Kinect Sports, we'd already have gotten a Kameo 2.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Rare has already been dead for a long time, only its name is still around.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

LOL @OP...

Rare was dead long ago! Speaking of things the Xbox killed, let's talk about Obsidian.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

People need to realize that most likely 99% of the teams that did all of rares good work no longer work for rare. It's a different company with different employees with a different boss. It's not going to go back to being like it used to. It's like hoping for a new RPG mass effect, it will never happen.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The butthurt in here. Get over it. Rare has been dead since 2001.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Good. I already grieved over the Rare's death about a decade ago. MS just had get their claws into something good and ruin it.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Remember when they were great?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

I guess you could say... they are rare.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

they've been dead a while now.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

You think RARE is alive? B*tch please

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Rare was Rare only during the Nintendo days. It was just the name Rare that Microsoft bought. I think Rare are in charge of Avatars and such which are the best customizations for users on any console. I would like to see some Rare games announced at E3 like Joy Ride, Kameo type games, Viva Pinata, maybe even a Perfect Dark game and new IPs, these games are decent all without Kinect. They'll be fine without it.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@RR360DD said:

"[Rare has] just come off the successful launch of Kinect Sports Rivals," Spencer said. "I think I've heard a few times from people asking about Rare - they're in the process of evaluating what they want to do next, and we're working closely with them to see what their new project will be." Spencer said the "independent-minded" (but Microsoft-owned) studio remains free to pursue the projects that interest it: "So they're free to look at all different kinds of opportunities, they always have been, and we're having a great time trying to work out with them what their next game might be, but we have nothing to announce right now."

independent minded and free to pursue projects? just like black tusk studios?

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

rare already died when all the talented people left before it got sold

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#43 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Rare died at the N64 , though managed to draw one last breath that is Star Fox Adventures before its grave

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I'd like to say I care, but I honestly don't at this point.

I loved me some Viva Pinata, and I love me some Nuts and Bolts. To the point that I don't buy this narrative where old rare was so much better. But that's more so because I don't like glorified fossils. But I can't realistically say the Rare that made Troube in Paradise in 2008, is the same Rare in 2014. They'd have to retool, and rebuild that company to be able to do the type of stuff they did with Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By outworld222

@ladyblue said:

Remember when they were great?

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

As many of my peers have already astutely mentioned: Rare is already dead.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@RR360DD said:

oh yeah if spencer said so must be true, lems logic at its best

why would rare keep making quality games like they did in other gens, they obviously choose to make kinect sports, every dev dream come true!

STEAMSBL0WSSAX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 STEAMSBL0WSSAX
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

you cant kill something that's already dead.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

/thread

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

This post can not be quoted enough in this thread.