If Half-Life: Alyx turns out to be the bee's knees, will it push you to buy a VR headset?

• 86 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll If Half-Life: Alyx turns out to be the bee's knees, will it push you to buy a VR headset? (57 votes)

Yeah. If the game is awesome, I'll be convinced, and will buy a VR headset. 32%
Maybe. I'm a fence dweller, what can I say. 14%
No. And no. 46%
Last night I woke and could not move. There was something on the ceiling, a thin and long cat or a long, thin non-cat that grew longer the longer I watched. I am still watching. I in fact am never not-watching, ever. I am not here. I am not sure if I woke up, actually. Or if I fell asleep. Or if I have always been asleep. 9%

Assuming you don't already own a PCVR headset that can run it, of course (the game, for now, is not coming to PSVR). If this game is a banger, and it revolutionizes VR yada yada, will you join the VR wagon? It looks pretty good to me, personally. I think Valve will probably pull through. I could be wrong, though. Either way, I'll be playing as this girl in VR day one:

No Caption Provided

• 
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#51 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@uitravioience said:

I kinda feel bad for these people who are too poor to afford VR.

because VR are overpriced crap that doesnot worth a price after all and its just some rich kid toy who like to wear some stupid eye mask and call and yell "mommy, daddy, see im so cool. im wearing a giant glass and i can see everything going on screen".

this technology was crap to begin with. has terrible games 99% of times.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

No, I'm never going to buy VR. I'd much rather spend more money on games, PC hardware or consoles. Even if the Vive was 100 instead of 1.000, I'd still rather spend the money elsewhere.

But I am happy that Valve is at least making games again.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#53 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58836 Posts

@uitravioience said:

I kinda feel bad for these people who are too poor to afford VR.

Maybe we should set up a gofundme or something, help them out.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@subspecies said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I gave VR a go from the start with the first Vive. Can’t play it as I’m incredibly sensitive to motion sickness. I’m getting nauseated just thinking back on it. Too bad too as it’s a tech I’d love to be able to use.

In the beginning, I definitely got sick a few times. But I stuck it out. Now I'm incapable of getting even slightly nauseous in VR. Once your brain adapts, it knows what's up.

I believe the problem was I continued to use it and forced myself to endure, and it never got better. With such an investment and considering I loved the experience I didn't want to let it go believe me, but my nausea didn't only not go away after a decent amount of use, it got worse. And it lasted for hours and hours after I stopped as well.

Even in games where motion wasn't an issue, like booting up into the launcher environment or using sculpting programs where no motion occurred at all. Still got sick. But then I'm one that gets queasy simply by stepping on a boat docked in a sheltered harbor.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44099 Posts

The cost and quality of VR isn’t an issue for me, it’s simply not how I desire to play my games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#56 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69359 Posts

@Archangel3371: Have you tried any of the VR solutions? What was the biggest issue for you?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Pedro

@MirkoS77: I almost had a similar experience. My first shot with VR I was nauseated and just the smell of the plastic from there on out makes me nauseous. Fortunately the experience got better but I can very much understand your sentiment.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

@i_p_daily: You could at least tell Bass a simple yes or no if you had or haven't tried VR yourself. But I am curious, don't you Aussies have a place to go test VR for free?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44099 Posts

@Pedro: It’s not an issue of me wanting for solutions for having any issues with VR I simply don’t want to play my games that way in general. Perhaps I’m old fashioned or stuck in my ways but I just prefer to game with a standard controller and on a flat screen tv.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#60  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

The cost and quality of VR isn’t an issue for me, it’s simply not how I desire to play my games.

Bingo. I have the means to go out right now and buy the most expensive VR headset on the market and the high powered PC hardware necessary to run it, but I simply have no interest in VR as a gaming platform.

And, yes, I have tried VR. It's a novelty and not the life-changing experience that some people make it out to be.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

No, I cant imagine wearing any headset for a prolonged time.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#62 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes, I have already decided to get the VR for Half Life: Alyx once the prices come down a bit. I'd still prefer future Half Life games to be traditional PC games but I won't miss this one just because I don't own a VR at the moment. Yup, definitely getting one.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Polish friend offered to give me Vive for free, but i'm not an asshole, he'll get a respectful purchase price.

Can I also be friends with your Polish friend?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@pc_rocks said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Polish friend offered to give me Vive for free, but i'm not an asshole, he'll get a respectful purchase price.

It's certainly rare in a world of internet where 30% of the pricks you know are disgusting beggers asking for stuff.

However, was intent on buying one prior to this anyway, probably one of the cheaper Microsoft Mixed Reality models than Valves if that wasn't an option, £200 - £300, not so bad. No way i'd drop £900+

If anyone can make VR legit it's Valve.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#65 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@pc_rocks said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's certainly rare in a world of internet where 30% of the pricks you know are disgusting beggers asking for stuff.

However, was intent on buying one prior to this anyway, probably one of the cheaper Microsoft Mixed Reality models than Valves if that wasn't an option, £200 - £300, not so bad. No way i'd drop £900+

I wonder how many people are going to splash out the big bucks on hardware just for this game, and then relegate their headsets to be dust collectors when nothing else of interest gets released in the near future?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MirkoS77

@Pedro said:

@MirkoS77: I almost had a similar experience. My first shot with VR I was nauseated and just the smell of the plastic from there on out makes me nauseous. Fortunately the experience got better but I can very much understand your sentiment.

Yeah, it's too bad as I love VR and find it as enthralling as Mario 64 was for its time, but even just thinking about it gives me a lump in the throat. I'll give it another shot when the tech matures and hopefully a semblance of extinction has taken effect, but I'm not holding high expectations.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#67 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

No. Cant play VR for longer than 15 minutes without getting crazy motion sick. Ive tried PSVR and Vive

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@pc_rocks said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Wait, you met him/her on internet?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Not spending that much, I was actually planning to get Quest because it's standalone but now I'm not sure. I mean I could get Index/Rift but I know I won't enjoy it as much to drop 1000 Euro. My biggest gripe with VR right now is all the wires and setup.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 uninspiredcup  Online
@pc_rocks said:

Wait, you met him/her on internet?

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Not spending that much, I was actually planning to get Quest because it's standalone but now I'm not sure. I mean I could get Index/Rift but I know I won't enjoy it as much to drop 1000 Euro. My biggest gripe with VR right now is all the wires and setup.

Yea, that seems to be something the cheaper ones actually have over the more expensive ones, no room set-up or wires, completely bluetooth. Though this one is apparently not so good compared to the other Mix Reality head-sets.

Loading Video...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#70 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Yup. Already considering a PC VR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@uninspiredcup said:

You can never, ever be friends with another man's Polish friend.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
@MirkoS77 said:
@subspecies said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I gave VR a go from the start with the first Vive. Can’t play it as I’m incredibly sensitive to motion sickness. I’m getting nauseated just thinking back on it. Too bad too as it’s a tech I’d love to be able to use.

In the beginning, I definitely got sick a few times. But I stuck it out. Now I'm incapable of getting even slightly nauseous in VR. Once your brain adapts, it knows what's up.

I believe the problem was I continued to use it and forced myself to endure, and it never got better. With such an investment and considering I loved the experience I didn't want to let it go believe me, but my nausea didn't only not go away after a decent amount of use, it got worse. And it lasted for hours and hours after I stopped as well.

Even in games where motion wasn't an issue, like booting up into the launcher environment or using sculpting programs where no motion occurred at all. Still got sick. But then I'm one that gets queasy simply by stepping on a boat docked in a sheltered harbor.

That can happen for sure. If your brain creates a negative association with a given activity, it will ramp up the negative effects of engaging in said activity as a means of making you cease from doing so. It could very well be that VR simply isn't something that your brain can handle, in which case it is important to take note of that and stop using it, which is what it sounds like you've done. That being said, sometimes a simple thing fixes the nausea reaction, such as a fan blowing on you while you play, or making sure you never have an empty stomach when you play. If you ever try VR again, go light and easy. Play for five or ten minutes at a time, and only once a day, or every couple of days. At the first sign of queasiness, stop playing, and don't try again until the next day. Eventually your brain should adapt and allow you to play for longer periods. It might take a long time, though.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

nah. I just never got into vr.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@clone01: Fair enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain- said:

@i_p_daily: You could at least tell Bass a simple yes or no if you had or haven't tried VR yourself. But I am curious, don't you Aussies have a place to go test VR for free?

No I haven't nor will I ever as I see it as garbage. As for placing that allow testing VR for free I wouldn't know as I have no interest in it.

Money's not an issue for me, but i'm not going to waste money on things I don't want, that's stupid.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56033 Posts

@i_p_daily: Fair enough.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#77  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Ooh that sucks so bad. That really sucks. I have that a bit, but I can play at least 30 minutes before starting to feel sick. Let's hope that as the tech improves the motion sickness disappears.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Just bought a Rift and explored the Derelict in Alien Isolation in VR. Holy shit... Also messed around in Doom 3 VR. My god Half Life Alyx is going to be incredible

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Pedro

@pinkribbonscars said:

Just bought a Rift and explored the Derelict in Alien Isolation in VR. Holy shit... Also messed around in Doom 3 VR. My god Half Life Alyx is going to be incredible

I reckon its going to do very well despite the bitching.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Just got a big raise from my boss and he bought me a Lenovo Legion Y740 with a 2070 Max Q for work lol. He's spoiling me. At any rate, I may have to grab a VR headset now since I might be able to afford it, because Alyx looks pretty awesome for a VR game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Pedro

@DragonfireXZ95: Which one are you going to get?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@Pedro said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Which one are you going to get?

Probably the Valve or some iteration of the Vive. Not sure yet. Have to do some research on them before I buy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Pedro

@DragonfireXZ95: I am on the anti tether train so I am pro Quest since it now facilitates both tether and un-tethered experiences. I have to update mine....sometime.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MirkoS77

@KungfuKitten said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Ooh that sucks so bad. That really sucks. I have that a bit, but I can play at least 30 minutes before starting to feel sick. Let's hope that as the tech improves the motion sickness disappears.

Yeah it's a bummer. I'm hopeful they can find some way to negate sim sickness but it's a slight hope. I'll give it 5-10 years.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

I already have a VR headset, but don’t care about Half-Life, the original Half-Life or this new game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Just a tip for anyone new to VR who's planning on getting a headset for Alyx. Get one now so you can get use to VR because the motion sickness is real. You're not going to be jumping into Alyx and be playing it like Half Life 2 if you're new to VR without puking everywhere

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#87 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Problem is entry price is way too expensive. Forget the fact that you need a decent rig to enjoy the better games. I've built one rig in my life, and that was 13 years ago. So PC VR is just not going to happen. I would have to bank on a console VR system. But again, the price for the game selection is not worth it.

I will say that as a die-hard Half-Life player, this is pushing me towards the VR. I'm curious, to say the least.