If Bayonetta 2 even DOES get ported, I wouldn't expect SEGA to publish.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

Well, we're seeing Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge (not that it was exclusive from the beginning) and Rayman Legends get ported from Wii U to PS3/360, and it's being predicted that Bayonetta 2 will follow suit, but even though it's a SEGA IP, I wouldn't expect them to even publish it for those consoles (unless if Nintendo managed to pull successful numbers, but considering the bad numbers of Eternal Darkness and Geist, that's VERY unlikely).

SEGA refused to publish the game at all (likely due to financial reasons because I believe they reported losses around the time the game was said to be cancelled) before Nintendo stepped in (and we all know the result of that), do you think they would change their minds for a possible PS3/360 port? They would more then likely have another publisher handle that.

Although I have been severely wrong before (just like recently over Rayman not getting ported), but judging by what happened, I have my doubts.

Your thoughts on this, SW?

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Simply publishing the game requires a lot less financial commitment than funding and publishing it. There's little to lose but a lot to game in publishing(atlus and demons' souls for example).

Edit: forgot about porting costs so disregard my orginal post

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
Much bigger userbase that buys third party games and all they would have to do is pay for porting it. Why not?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
don't nintendo hold the publishing rights to the game, meaning that, for the game to get ported by another publisher to begin with, that publisher would have to strike a deal with nintendo, with the latter being fully aware that this deal would be essentially selling one of their system exclusives to another platform?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
don't nintendo hold the publishing rights to the game, meaning that, for the game to get ported by another publisher to begin with, that publisher would have to strike a deal with nintendo, with the latter being fully aware that this deal would be essentially selling one of their system exclusives to another platform?BrunoBRS
This was my understanding of it. Somehow, I don't think this one is moving.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]don't nintendo hold the publishing rights to the game, meaning that, for the game to get ported by another publisher to begin with, that publisher would have to strike a deal with nintendo, with the latter being fully aware that this deal would be essentially selling one of their system exclusives to another platform?DarkLink77

Quite a few SW'ers don't think so after Ninja Gaiden and Rayman getting ported.
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts
Wasn't ninja gaiden also published by Nintendo in NA? So why couldn't platinum games port it over? They do own the bayonetta ip, right?
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MFDOOM1983
Wasn't ninja gaiden also published by Nintendo in NA? So why couldn't platinum games port it over? They do own the bayonetta ip, right?Ghost120x
sega own the ip
flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I think it'd have to rely on Kickstarter to provide them the money they need to self-publish it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]don't nintendo hold the publishing rights to the game, meaning that, for the game to get ported by another publisher to begin with, that publisher would have to strike a deal with nintendo, with the latter being fully aware that this deal would be essentially selling one of their system exclusives to another platform?nintendoboy16

Eh. Microsoft published the first two Ninja Gaiden games. Those got ported, so Ninja Gaiden 3 getting a port isn't a surprise. Ubisoft randomly decided to make a Wii-U exclusive, so that getting a port also isn't a surprise. This game would not exist if Nintendo hadn't stepped in. I don't think it's getting ported.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MFDOOM1983
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] This was my understanding of it. Somehow, I don't think this one is moving.

Eh. Microsoft published the first two Ninja Gaiden games. Those got ported, so Ninja Gaiden 3 getting a port isn't a surprise. Ubisoft randomly decided to make a Wii-U exclusive, so that getting a port also isn't a surprise. This game would not exist if Nintendo hadn't stepped in. I don't think it's getting ported.

MS only published NG2..
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

I don't ever expect Bayo 2 to go multipat. The only thing that I could see happening is, if Bayo 2 does really well, Sega would probably think of publishing future games. That is basically what I'm hoping happens.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6056 Posts
Since Nintendo practically payed for everything, platinum games wouldn't want to ruin the positive relationship with Nintendo by stabbing them in the back.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Nintendo are funding the game but Sega own the IP. It's an interesting situation like Mass Effect. Sega would have to buy Nintendo out of the deal or have had something in the contract (i.e. Time Limit) with the IP for it to get a port. People shouldn't expect it though this is Nintendo.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#15 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Microsoft published the first two Ninja Gaiden games.DarkLink77

Only Ninja Gaiden II. 

I imagine the only reason Sigma 2 exists is because it's technically a different game from NG2. There was no reason for MS to allow the original game to be ported, since they paid for it. Same for Nintendo and Bayonetta 2, so MS, Sony, or a third party publisher will have to bankroll some sort of semi-remake to get the game on other platforms. With Sega's approval of course, which probably means MS or Sony are the only ones who could do it.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] Quite a few SW'ers don't think so after Ninja Gaiden and Rayman getting ported.

MS only published NG2..

So the original getting a port is even less surprising, then.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MFDOOM1983

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Eh. Microsoft published the first two Ninja Gaiden games. Those got ported, so Ninja Gaiden 3 getting a port isn't a surprise. Ubisoft randomly decided to make a Wii-U exclusive, so that getting a port also isn't a surprise. This game would not exist if Nintendo hadn't stepped in. I don't think it's getting ported.DarkLink77
MS only published NG2..

Not sure if I'm following:P

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Microsoft published the first two Ninja Gaiden games.Cherokee_Jack

Only Ninja Gaiden II. 

I imagine the only reason Sigma 2 exists is because it's technically a different game from NG2. There was no reason for MS to allow the original game to be ported, since they paid for it. 

Probably true. Still, it's not surprising to see the game get ported, giving Tecmo's history of porting the Ninja Gaiden series to every platform it can. And given that it'll likely be an enhanced port, they will probably be able to get around the fact that Nintendo published it initially.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

It's not going to get ported. or at least any time soon.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]MS only published NG2..MFDOOM1983

Not sure if I'm following:P

If Microsoft only published II, it makes more sense that the original was ported. And of course the Sigma series is fairly different, so it also makes sense that II could be ported if it were significantly reworked and published as "Sigma II" and not "II."
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
I know it's wishful thinking, but why the fvck not, dreams are free. Bayonetta 2 please goes multiplat, let my poor soul enjoy the game.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nintendoboy16
Much bigger userbase that buys third party games and all they would have to do is pay for porting it. Why not?fernandmondego_
As I said in the OP, SEGA would probably find another publisher SHOULD a PS/XBOX port come along UNLESS Nintendo handles it well.
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fernandmondego_
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Much bigger userbase that buys third party games and all they would have to do is pay for porting it. Why not?nintendoboy16
As I said in the OP, SEGA would probably find another publisher SHOULD a PS/XBOX port come along UNLESS Nintendo handles it well.

If they wanted to port it, why would they need another publisher?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Much bigger userbase that buys third party games and all they would have to do is pay for porting it. Why not?fernandmondego_

Because, with it's rather high chance of bombing, SEGA still would be hesitant to even bother. There's a reason Nintendo stepped in after all.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Nintendo is the Publisher of Bayonetta 2. They want to gain more consumers for their Wii U by releasing this game exclusively. Rayman Legends was published by Ubisoft and they made a deal with nintendo. So it's a whole different situation. I'm also sure Bayonetta 2 makes full use of the Wii U Pad in some way, so a port wouldn't be that easy. I'm not ruling it out though, I'm expecting less than good sales since Bayonetta has barely any fanbase within Nintendo consumers.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Nintendo, port a game they are publishing to another platform? :lol: That's rich.
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fernandmondego_
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] As I said in the OP, SEGA would probably find another publisher SHOULD a PS/XBOX port come along UNLESS Nintendo handles it well.

Because, with it's rather high chance of bombing, SEGA still would be hesitant to even bother. There's a reason Nintendo stepped in after all.

Didn't the first one sell over a million? A port cost a fraction of the cost of developing a game, they don't even need Platinum to do the port.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Nintendo, port a game they are publishing to another platform? :lol: That's rich.Zeviander
Also Platinum Games mentioned that the port will have to be up to Nintendo.

Platinum "W101 and Bayonetta 2 will stay exclusive to the Wii U"

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is going multi-platform, and no one's all that bothered. Rayman Legends is going multi-platform, and that bit of news is met with slightly more perturbation. Whatever your opinion on any individual game spreading the love to other consoles, you're likely to be worried about the Wii U's inability to hold on to its exclusives.

Then you start thinking about PlatinumGames. What will happen to The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2? Those are almost guaranteed to be the next two titles to seek greener pastures, right? Well, you can put those thoughts clear out of your mind because it's not going to happen. Not as long as Nintendo has any say.

Taking to Twitter to address the lingering concerns, Platinum's outspoken designer Hideki Kamiya said, "We're a development company... Nintendo gives us money, we make Bayonetta 2 and W101, and they sell it... so if Nintendo says, 'We're putting Bayonetta 2 on PS360,' it'll come out on those platforms... so ask Nintendo about it...." Unlike other publishing deals, Nintendo is bankrolling the development of these two games, thus securing their exclusivity until the day Nintendo decides it doesn't like having exclusive content anymore, which is effectively never.

Sounds pretty open-and-shut. This obviously won't silence the folks who demand -- nay, need -- their Bayo fix on PS3 / 360, but they might as well be screaming at the sun for being hot.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#29 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]I know it's wishful thinking, but why the fvck not, dreams are free. Bayonetta 2 please goes multiplat, let my poor soul enjoy the game.

You still can. Just buy a Wii U.
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

Bayonetta 2 getting ported?

Don't think so. Just get a Wii U if you want it so badly.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts
Ill still get it for the WiiU--if at all. I loved the combat from the first game, but not much else.
ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts
I think it will get ported to ps3 & 360. WiiU has about 3 million consoles shipped so it would take around 1/3 to buy it for a million sales versus a combined userbase of 140 million formthe other two, even if you said only 50 million are active users then a lot of potential sales.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I think it will get ported to ps3 & 360. WiiU has about 3 million consoles shipped so it would take around 1/3 to buy it for a million sales versus a combined userbase of 140 million formthe other two, even if you said only 50 million are active users then a lot of potential sales. ccagracing
Read my above post Hideki Kamiya said it will only go multiplatform if Nintendo suddenly decided they don't need money anymore.

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="ccagracing"]I think it will get ported to ps3 & 360. WiiU has about 3 million consoles shipped so it would take around 1/3 to buy it for a million sales versus a combined userbase of 140 million formthe other two, even if you said only 50 million are active users then a lot of potential sales. Nintendo_Ownes7

Read my above post Hideki Kamiya said it will only go multiplatform if Nintendo suddenly decided they don't need money anymore.

Or if they want to recoup some of their loses if the game bombs.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#35 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Because, with it's rather high chance of bombing, SEGA still would be hesitant to even bother.nintendoboy16

Not if it sells well enough on the Wii U.

If a port happens, it will be at least a year after the Wii U release, most likely.

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

[QUOTE="ccagracing"]I think it will get ported to ps3 & 360. WiiU has about 3 million consoles shipped so it would take around 1/3 to buy it for a million sales versus a combined userbase of 140 million formthe other two, even if you said only 50 million are active users then a lot of potential sales. Nintendo_Ownes7

I think Bayonetta is a great game, genre defining hack n slash but its going to bomb hard on wiiU, at least sales wise. Nintendo are trying to break into an older demographic with it but if this game sells 100k it will be ported ASAP. Money talks, this sort of game is aimed at older gamers who want online play, gore and great combat. The WiiU is marketed to younger children and nothing at all wrong with that but I don't see mummy or daddy buying 10yr old Johnny Bayonetta 2.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="rjdofu"]I know it's wishful thinking, but why the fvck not, dreams are free. Bayonetta 2 please goes multiplat, let my poor soul enjoy the game.

You still can. Just buy a Wii U.

$400 is kinda huge for me, especially when I have to spend that amount for just 1 game, nope.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts
it wouldn't surprise me if we later learned in producing Bayonetta's sequel that Nintendo acquired full rights to the Bayonetta franchise, that's what they did with Fatal Frame series
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
If it did well enough and sega could justify the production, and Platinum was willing to do the work: It would require a Bayonetta Sigma 2 type deal to justify its existence to get around the Nintendo part. Technically Sega is still the pub in this case(Bayonetta is their IP), but they just didn't want to fund the project.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#40 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

If for some reason a game that is fully Nintendo Funded gets ported over to other next gen systems.

Who would publish it? That's the question.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#41 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Nintendo is the Publisher of Bayonetta 2. They want to gain more consumers for their Wii U by releasing this game exclusively. Rayman Legends was published by Ubisoft and they made a deal with nintendo. So it's a whole different situation. I'm also sure Bayonetta 2 makes full use of the Wii U Pad in some way, so a port wouldn't be that easy. I'm not ruling it out though, I'm expecting less than good sales since Bayonetta has barely any fanbase within Nintendo consumers.LustForSoul

Implying Nintendo Wii/WiiU owners didn't also own a 360 or PS3 huh?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nintendoboy16
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]If they wanted to port it, why would they need another publisher?fernandmondego_

Didn't the first one sell over a million? A port cost a fraction of the cost of developing a game, they don't even need Platinum to do the port.

It probably wasn't enough for SEGA's standards.
dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

[QUOTE="LustForSoul"]Nintendo is the Publisher of Bayonetta 2. They want to gain more consumers for their Wii U by releasing this game exclusively. Rayman Legends was published by Ubisoft and they made a deal with nintendo. So it's a whole different situation. I'm also sure Bayonetta 2 makes full use of the Wii U Pad in some way, so a port wouldn't be that easy. I'm not ruling it out though, I'm expecting less than good sales since Bayonetta has barely any fanbase within Nintendo consumers.LegatoSkyheart

Implying Nintendo Wii/WiiU owners didn't also own a 360 or PS3 huh?

Of cause they dont. I never owned a Wii and 360 and played Madworld, Vanquish, Bayonetta and cannot wait for W101, Bayonetta 2 and maybe will get MGS Revengence when its in the bargain bin as i'm not the biggest fan of the MGS franchise. Did you not know we could only own one console?! Legato... You need to keep up with times Bro.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
I can dream.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
If it did well enough and sega could justify the production, and Platinum was willing to do the work: It would require a Bayonetta Sigma 2 type deal to justify its existence to get around the Nintendo part. Technically Sega is still the pub in this case(Bayonetta is their IP), but they just didn't want to fund the project. jg4xchamp
i don't think sega is still "technically" the publisher just because they own the IP. they'll get their royalties, but they're not publishing sh!t. kinda like the last story in NA. nintendo owns the IP, they probably got some royalties, but they did NOT publish it in NA, XSeed did.