If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SheikhMuhammad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 SheikhMuhammad
Member since 2005 • 438 Posts
If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls or rather be frustrated by that game, will Dark Souls be any different? It scored a 9.5, shall it be given a try?
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls or rather be frustrated by that game, will Dark Souls be any different? It scored a 9.5, shall it be given a try?SheikhMuhammad
If you can elaborate on what frustrated you that may help people give a good answer. I fear that most of the frustrating elements from DeS return in DaS.

There is a DaS sticky at the top of this page and you should post this in there.
A mod will probably lock this thread because you're supposed to use the stickies when they are available (to avoid the board being spammed by multiple topics on one game). Not that it matters to me I'm just saying.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts
If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls or rather be frustrated by that game, will Dark Souls be any different? It scored a 9.5, shall it be given a try?SheikhMuhammad
yes it is a really good game.Will last you a very long time and lots of big improvments.
free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 free_milk
I have a question in saudi arabia what servers do you use?like do you use japanse serevers?like in dark souls do you play with european servers?or middle eastern servers?Like can you only play with people in the middle east?or the whole of asia?
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
[QUOTE="SheikhMuhammad"]If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls or rather be frustrated by that game, will Dark Souls be any different? It scored a 9.5, shall it be given a try?free_milk
yes it is a really good game.Will last you a very long time and lots of big improvments.

.....but it is also very very hard.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Dark Souls isn't for you then, because its harder and even more annoying. Awesome game but if Demons Souls bothered you, this isn't for you at all.
Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
[QUOTE="SheikhMuhammad"]If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls or rather be frustrated by that game, will Dark Souls be any different? It scored a 9.5, shall it be given a try?free_milk
I have a question in saudi arabia what servers do you use?like do you use japanse serevers?like in dark souls do you play with european servers?or middle eastern servers?Like can you only play with people in the middle east?or the whole of asia?

In Saudi Arabia you'll probably get the European version, but unlike Demon's Souls, you can play with everyone now, not only with the people who have the EU copy.
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I find in Dark Souls as in Demons Souls..... the right weapon makes the game a breeze.... the wrong weapon makes the game impossible.

FOr instance in one area I'm poking dudes with my sword... (yeah yeah, laugh it up) and they are dying in 2-4 strikes..... go another direction and facing skeletons and I have to hit them closer to 40 times.

I assume if I had a mace the skeletons would drop like flies, but a mace I do not have.

Oh and those ghosts near the beginning down below, where there is alot of water..... hit dem sum **** wit some fire, they no likey.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

If you were annoyed/frustrated by Demon's Souls I'd advise you to stay away from Dark Souls ...

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 free_milk

[QUOTE="free_milk"][QUOTE="SheikhMuhammad"]If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls or rather be frustrated by that game, will Dark Souls be any different? It scored a 9.5, shall it be given a try?AtariKidX

the whole goal of the game is to make sure nobody compleates it

beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

Does that mean that its going to be much easyer to play a caster then mele in Dark Souls too ?

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

If you didn't like Demon's Souls, then you are not fit to play Dark Souls. Aside from being more challenging, one big complain I'm hearing is that being cursed is the one truly unfair feeling addition, which means it can be a little extra frustrating now. I actually got the game yesterday and I'm a little terrified myself into delving in so I can't be more elaborate.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i didnt enjoy demons souls that much.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

If you didn't like Demon's because of the difficulty then you definitely should avoid Dark Souls, it's really difficult. Personally I think the game is a lot of fun, especially when you advance in the game, very rewarding. Still brutally difficult. Especially if you level your skills up incorrectly.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Does that mean that its going to be much easyer to play a caster then mele in Dark Souls too ?

beganoo

Definitely not going to be easier. They limit your spell casts to a set number of casts, there is no mana to speak of. You can't cast your way through this game, expect to be doing a lot of melee even if you're a caster.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts

[QUOTE="AtariKidX"][QUOTE="free_milk"] yes it is a really good game.Will last you a very long time and lots of big improvments.free_milk

No, it's not. I don't understand where people get this from. If the devs didn't want you to complete it, there would be no ending at all. Like most games, the goal is to complete it.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Demons Souls was a game that probably would have been one of my favorites of all time if I were ten years younger and had a lot of free time. As it is, there are too many distractions/phone calls at home for me to focus on a game that I can't even pause. I can certainly see why people like it, but the saving system and lack of a pause button sort of require a 1-2 hour block of time with absolutely no distractions to play the game. I just don't have that, at least often enough to stay focused on an RPG. Is Dark Souls any different in that regard?

dzaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dzaric
Member since 2003 • 1068 Posts

Demons Souls was a game that probably would have been one of my favorites of all time if I were ten years younger and had a lot of free time. As it is, there are too many distractions/phone calls at home for me to focus on a game that I can't even pause. I can certainly see why people like it, but the saving system and lack of a pause button sort of require a 1-2 hour block of time with absolutely no distractions to play the game. I just don't have that, at least often enough to stay focused on an RPG. Is Dark Souls any different in that regard?

PurpleMan5000

Nope

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

rent the game. Personally I'm waiting for the price drop since I haven't actually beaten Demon Souls yet, and I don't have the time to put into a game like this.

dzaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dzaric

rent the game. Personally I'm waiting for the price drop since I haven't actually beaten Demon Souls yet, and I don't have the time to put into a game like this.

stizz-

Im sorry, but both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls area worth far more than just a simple rental.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
probably not. The mechanics and difficulty are basically the same. The level design and enemies are more unique, but if you were frustrated due to difficulty in demon's souls, you will be frustrated due to difficulty in dark souls.
the whole goal of the game is to make sure nobody compleates itfree_milk
no it's not.
dzaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dzaric

free_milk

That's not true. Its meant to be hard but not impossible. I beat Demon's Souls, and honestly, it was not as hard as everyone made it out to be. Now let me be clear, im not saying that Demon's Souls was easy by any stretch of the imagination, im just saying that it was not as brutally sadistic as most people have made it out to be. Its a hard game, not a impossible game.

stizz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 stizz-
Member since 2011 • 728 Posts

[QUOTE="stizz-"]

dzaric

Im sorry, but both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls area worth far more than just a simple rental.

I'm suggesting that he rents the game to try it out.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

[QUOTE="dzaric"]

[QUOTE="stizz-"]

stizz-

I'm suggesting that he rents the game to try it out.

I agree that renting is a bad suggestion. This is a game that needs time and dedication to really enjoy. But TC if Demon Souls was to hard for you forget it. Dark Souls is even harder.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#25 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

The game is hard. Almost Super Meat Boy Hard.

jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts

If you were annoyed/frustrated by Demon's Souls I'd advise you to stay away from Dark Souls ...

KiZZo1
I agree with this.
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

if you struggled and gave up on Demon's souls, then dark souls is definitely not for you, not only it's way harder, but the pace is much more connected and noob unfriendly.

not saying i'd rated it under anythig less than 9.5(had hell of great time with it so far) but there are ppl in the world won't able to enjoy it.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
if you hated demon's souls, a game that's demon's souls to the fourth won't make you happy :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BrunoBRS

LegatoSkyheart
pfft... super meat boy is not that hard. you just need to get the hang of it. once you beat the game, you go back to levels that used to trouble you and you laugh :P
AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts
Both games are mediocre at best clunky, imprecise controls. Think of trying to melee in resident evil and how fun that is. that is what demon souls is like, its clunky and unexciting and no effin story on top of that, passed Dark souls and never want to play it. Go play Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 for difficult hard action.
reynal1287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 reynal1287
Member since 2009 • 378 Posts

Stay far away.As someone who finished DS with a knight and a barbarian and spent 80 hours,i can say that Dark souls is definitely harder,but it's a much better game than DS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

I enjoyed demons souls to a extent, but in the end grew tired of the game. I rented dark souls mainly because it got a 9.5, I figured they must have really improved it for it to score higher 2 years later. Dark souls felt exactly the same as demons souls to me, graphics were alittle better but still crappy, gameplay exactly the same, level design exactly the same, felt like a demons souls expansion, and I had recently got tired of it. I picked it up late for 20.00. I took dark souls back after a few hrs of play. If you have never played demons souls just get that for cheap, feels like exactly the same game.

I just dont think the game is fun enough to justify the head bashing it takes to progress, yea it gets easier as you level up and memorize the levels, the difficulty seems more trial and error to me then hard, I have beat many games on the harderst levels, games that are fun, beat the halos on legendary, gears insane, but this game is just not fun enough for me to justify the time spent. I may give it another go during the slow months when I have nothing else to play.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

[QUOTE="stizz-"]

dzaric

I think he was saying that TC should rent the game to see if he likes it.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

I love Demons Souls but think the devs may have gone a bit overboard on the difficulty for Dark Souls. I'm stuck, frustrated and confused right now and can't say the experience has been enjoyable, and I logged about a thousand hours into Demons Souls...

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

Depends on what you didn't like, but generally they're fundamentally comparable, so not liking one means you probably won't like the other.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Well,it almost the exact same thing so you probably aren´t going to enjoy it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22980 Posts
Not gonna lie, from everything ive read it sounds like these two games are just not fun and "rewarding" is subjective... insane difficulty and unfair gameplay elements dont impress me after 30+ years of gaming.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS
Not gonna lie, from everything ive read it sounds like these two games are just not fun and "rewarding" is subjective... insane difficulty and unfair gameplay elements dont impress me after 30+ years of gaming. TheEroica
insane difficulty? sure, i can go with that. unfair gameplay? never. if anything, it's you who has to go cheap on the game, especially if you want the easy way through bosses (many of demon's souls bosses could be killed without even seeing you, thanks to ranged weapons. but the game itself never goes cheap on you. every death that happens is your fault.
coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts
i rented dark souls and i actualy think demons souls is better glad i didnt buy it this is just my exp with the game
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22980 Posts
[QUOTE="TheEroica"]Not gonna lie, from everything ive read it sounds like these two games are just not fun and "rewarding" is subjective... insane difficulty and unfair gameplay elements dont impress me after 30+ years of gaming. BrunoBRS
insane difficulty? sure, i can go with that. unfair gameplay? never. if anything, it's you who has to go cheap on the game, especially if you want the easy way through bosses (many of demon's souls bosses could be killed without even seeing you, thanks to ranged weapons. but the game itself never goes cheap on you. every death that happens is your fault.

Im more commenting on what someone was saying in this thread about the cursed feature... just nnot a big fan of frustration over fun...
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="TheEroica"]Not gonna lie, from everything ive read it sounds like these two games are just not fun and "rewarding" is subjective... insane difficulty and unfair gameplay elements dont impress me after 30+ years of gaming. TheEroica

Im more commenting on what someone was saying in this thread about the cursed feature... just nnot a big fan of frustration over fun...

i can see why one would not like the game, and i've ragequit demon's souls plenty. but the sense of achievement, the urge to scream "F*** YEAH I DID IT", is one of the best feelings a game had given me in a while. the only other game that manage to do that with me in recent years was monster hunter.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are two of the best games I have ever played in my opinion. They are HARD and very rewarding. The demand skill, patience, and learning of the game. No other game out there requires this, they all hold your hand too much. It's hard to describe the amazing feeling you get when you finally beat a boss or figure out a strategy that works. You get so en-grained in the world and are always on edge. I love these games!! If this doesn't sound fun to you or you have a tendency to throw your controller these aren't for you.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="SheikhMuhammad"]If anyone that hasn't enjoyed Demon's Souls or rather be frustrated by that game, will Dark Souls be any different? It scored a 9.5, shall it be given a try?nightshade869
Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are two of the best games I have ever played in my opinion. They are HARD and very rewarding. The demand skill, patience, and learning of the game. No other game out there requires this, they all hold your hand too much. It's hard to describe the amazing feeling you get when you finally beat a boss or figure out a strategy that works. You get so en-grained in the world and are always on edge. I love these games!! If this doesn't sound fun to you or you have a tendency to throw your controller these aren't for you.

no other game? let me introduce you to monster hunter :P
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#44 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

BrunoBRS

pfft... super meat boy is not that hard. you just need to get the hang of it. once you beat the game, you go back to levels that used to trouble you and you laugh :P

I'm assuming you haven't got to Bandage Girl's Levels.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

I'm assuming you haven't got to Bandage Girl's Levels.

i actually stopped playing the game after beating one or two bandage girl levels :P sure, they're challenging. but eventually the game sharpens your skills so much you get through them, and then the level before seems easy. that's my point. it's not "permanently challenging". it's the gaming equivalent of a neverending grindstone :P