If all games came to PC, would you say goodbye to consoles 4eva?

• 128 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll If all games came to PC, would you say goodbye to consoles 4eva? (113 votes)

Yes! Peace out consoles! 54%
Nah, I still love consoles. 46%

I've been thinking about that.. imagine a world where everything came to PC, and there was cross play for every game, would you say goodbye to consoles, SW? There are still a lot of things to like about consoles; the value, optimization, not having to constantly worry about drivers and specs and all that. I also like that the console makers compete on hardware, and try to out innovate each other. i.e. Switch is a hybrid. So I'm not sure if PC would really just be the answer for me. How about you, SW? If all games came to PC, would you say goodbye to consoles forever?

• 
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 38401 Posts

Nah, Pee Salty Seas are for Work.

Consoles are for Fun. :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator  Online
Member since 2013 • 16099 Posts

I said yes, but it's with an asterisk - the Switch is an example of a console where it makes sense to play the same game, even (with cross-save).

If there were zero exclusives, I am not one to waste my money on multiple platforms without reason - but the unique hardware of the Switch provides that reason. Playing Civ 6 on both is a good example of my using it in this way. Also, little putt-putt indies just feel right at home on it - I own Into the Breach on Switch and not PC. I'd be fine double-dipping (great game) but there's also no reason to in that case

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9511 Posts

Yeah, I could ditch consoles completely if that was the case.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20732 Posts

Yeah, I kinda did already with the exception of Switch games.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

Most likely.

Most console games I like are more story/sp.

If I wanted to go ultra competitive, PC is the absolute best way to go.

Just port the entire PS+ and owned ps digital library and I'm done with consoles.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10848 Posts

Yeah for me.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 7479 Posts

Yes, absolutely the only reason I own a PS4 is for it's exclusives I'm primary a PC gamer.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1261 Posts

If I'm going out of town a console is the cheapest way to play

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 28021 Posts

Yup. Nintendo is the only reason why I don't.

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WonderWinner
Member since 2021 • 870 Posts

Gaming pcs are still way more expensive than consoles.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 28021 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

It's usually like that with way better things.

But a PC is still cheaper to get than getting several different consoles.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 1262 Posts

I think if PC components had been readily available I would have built a RTX3070 PC this year already. But I've blown all my savings on my OLED now so will have to wait until later in the year when things are easier to get hold of.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 37313 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

Only hardware though.

PC online: free

Console online: paid

PC games: 50-60euro

Playstation games: 70-80euro

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13041 Posts

No. I did this before when it was possible, with Connectix VGS, UltraHLE, a high end PC with a Celeron 366MHz overclocked to 550MHz, ABit BX6, tons of RAM, Riva TNT2, Voodoo2 on standby, 2x 6GB drives... It was a beast and I could run all the current console games I wanted.

But I realized that I enjoyed the hassle free, reliable, appliance-like nature of the console. I didn't want to spend any time resolving issues when I played games. When I played a game, I wanted it to just work. I didn't get that with the PC.

Now it's easier but there are still issues and I still want to avoid them. Plus a console is cheaper, and even if it doesn't run games as well it still does its job 100% of the time with no fiddling. There isn't a cheating problem like on PC, and I get matched with other gamepad players and not Gamepad vs K/M like on PC. They still don't know how to do matchmaking for some reason.

And if I want to go back and play an old game, I can plug in any of my consoles and put the game in and it will work just as well as it did when I originally got it, and it will be the same experience.

I still have a PC for funsies and emulators but I only use it when I have to. Which is never. It's literally gathering dust.

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gtx021
Member since 2013 • 451 Posts

not interested...

no one will pay rtx 3090 to play danme same quality as console version,ported.

no one will have money to upgrade every year graphic card,pc components etc.

no one interesting in pc achievements-trophy

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghost_of_Phobos  Online
Member since 2020 • 2140 Posts

Yep, if Sony commits to release all their games on PC, like MS, I'll build a PC for my living room.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52154 Posts

If I had the rig for it, definitely. And proper ports. Not rushjobs where my expensive rig fails to do well enough.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28819 Posts

nope

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 4931 Posts

Id probably still go PC and portable... but I would pass on the closed home console.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 16133 Posts

If everything came to PC day one then yes.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 8775 Posts

Nope, I'd still be playing them on console.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 16772 Posts

Definitely, I would still keep something like a Switch to play portable but no more home consoles for me.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts

Well that is easy to answer. Of course I would. What is a console but a box of wires and plastic. Why would I care about that?

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 1346 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

What? Now, in order to be able to play all of the games, you need a gaming PC (and an Xbone as not all of the older games are ported yet), a PS5 and a Switch. How is that cheaper than just a gaming PC?

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WonderWinner

@rmpumper: most people will settle with one of the three consoles (time is limited and nobody has time or will to play every single game there is) and any one of them is cheaper than a gaming pc. I know because I have a gaming PC and the three consoles. But way to move the goalpost and grasp at straws at the same time lol.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 158

#26 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 13841 Posts

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 1346 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

@rmpumper: most people will settle with one of the three consoles (time is limited and nobody has time or will to play every single game there is) and any one of them is cheaper than a gaming pc. I know because I have a gaming PC and the three consoles. But way to move the goalpost and grasp at straws at the same time lol.

The strawman is the claim that consoles would no longer exists if all the games would get PC versions. People who complain about PC gaming being too expensive would keep buying the consoles and the console manufactures would keep making billions selling them "services".

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

yipee...millions of online cheats...digital only games and overpriced gaming pc’s?

erm No...hah

i would buy a pc if they could match/better serious X power and features for the same price.

godfall and days gone and are still 5-10 and 6-10 on a £450 machine v a £1200 pc

HAH

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NathanDrakeSwag

@bluestars said:

yipee...millions of online cheats...digital only games and overpriced gaming pc’s?

erm No...hah

i would buy a pc if they could match/better serious X power and features for the same price.

godfall and days gone and are still 5-10 and 6-10 on a £450 machine v a £1200 pc

HAH

Proof that you even own an XSX?

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 3998 Posts

There is nothing on Xbox or Playstation that I would pay any money for, that's why in 2013 I said goodbye to consoles forever. But I did buy a Switch recently. If the things that I bought a Switch for were also on PC, then I wouldn't have bought a Switch. Why play anything on a lesser system when PCs are available?

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2896 Posts

No. I like having a somewhat portable gamey thing I can put anywhere I have a TV. Switch is for moms n' babies so it has it's place in my household. I'd almost definitely ditch the Xbox if GP went away.

Even with game installations, there is a certain expedience I can appreciate on consoles, but you literally pay a price for it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 3998 Posts
@rmpumper said:
@wonderwinner said:

What? Now, in order to be able to play all of the games, you need a gaming PC (and an Xbone as not all of the older games are ported yet), a PS5 and a Switch. How is that cheaper than just a gaming PC?

Even if you compare one of the newer consoles, PS5 or XSX when you take into consideration 7 years of online services pretty much everyone here with one of those consoles has admitted they'll be paying for, the price at least matches, if not exceeds the price of a gaming PC capable of matching or surpassing that console. They may sell the hardware itself at a loss, but once they lock you into that ecosystem, they're going to get their money back one way or another.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11606 Posts

Most likely, it would be the only system I'd need, I'd probably still use a controller though.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 15287 Posts

PC won so big these last 2 decades I stopped trying. I just look at these threads and laugh. I don't have to do anything anymore.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 10848 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

No. I did this before when it was possible, with Connectix VGS, UltraHLE, a high end PC with a Celeron 366MHz overclocked to 550MHz, ABit BX6, tons of RAM, Riva TNT2, Voodoo2 on standby, 2x 6GB drives... It was a beast and I could run all the current console games I wanted.

But I realized that I enjoyed the hassle free, reliable, appliance-like nature of the console. I didn't want to spend any time resolving issues when I played games. When I played a game, I wanted it to just work. I didn't get that with the PC.

Now it's easier but there are still issues and I still want to avoid them. Plus a console is cheaper, and even if it doesn't run games as well it still does its job 100% of the time with no fiddling. There isn't a cheating problem like on PC, and I get matched with other gamepad players and not Gamepad vs K/M like on PC. They still don't know how to do matchmaking for some reason.

And if I want to go back and play an old game, I can plug in any of my consoles and put the game in and it will work just as well as it did when I originally got it, and it will be the same experience.

I still have a PC for funsies and emulators but I only use it when I have to. Which is never. It's literally gathering dust.

Back then PC gaming was a different beast, and came with A LOT more issues than now.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20706 Posts

Definitely. Exclusives are legit the only reason why I begrudgingly buy consoles now.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 13041 Posts

@Juub1990: I realize that. I have a gaming PC now. Even stuff like HDR on PC is annoying to configure. If you have desktop scaling turned on that messes with some games. Stupid nonsensical issues like that still exist and I don't want to have to deal with such idiosyncrasies. There's the cheating and poor matchmaking putting controller players against KB/M players. PC still has plenty of problems. Running games on day one is hit or miss as well on PC and some games still have issues with certain hardware configurations. New patches can mess up a game for some people as well.

I still prefer console over PC.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dabear
Member since 2002 • 3915 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I do not like gaming on a PC. I'd rather give up gaming that "just play games on a PC".

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag:

if i owned a XSX i wouldn’t have said i would buy a pc equivalent at price...keep up kid..hah

unfortunately the most powerful console on the planet sells out in seconds here in the uk..nearly 4 months after release...my one x is doing a sterling job till the frenzy dies down

HAH

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 osan0
Member since 2004 • 16281 Posts

Yep absolutely. Pretty much every game i have on any console is exclusive. i have no reason to buy a console version of a multiplat. I'm not even considering an XSX because why would i get one? what would it offer?

The PC, as a platform, is the most flexible, most powerful and overall the best place to play games. it has more competing hardware vendors than any consoles. it has more competing stores. it's it's own dev kit so if you want to make a game for the PC go right ahead. it has pretty much universal game controller support as well as using the mighty KB+M.

even in terms of reliability it has improved a heap (while consoles have gotten worse than their older counter parts). its not perfect and the integration of some things could be better but its not the hugely unreliable, complex and cumbersome beast some make it out to be.

then there is the flexibility. buy a console game: play it on that console. want to play it on a different console? sure...buy it again. but buy it on the PC and you can play it on anything ranging from a high end desktop to a laptop to something like the AYA neo or GPD win (the switch is not unique). it will work now and it will have a very very high chance of also working on your next PC...and the PC after that....and after that and so on.

the only big pain point for some is the up front cost of the hardware. the hardware is more expensive up front. no getting around it. hardware companies gotta make a buck at the end of the day. but what you get for that is you get to do whatever you want and play whatever you want, using whatever you want with YOUR PC. also the hardware is of better quality generally.

consoles are sold at break even/a small loss to entice people into their respective eco systems. thats the deal. you buy a playstation, xbox or switch and you will play the way you are told on what they allow and nothing else. its not a great deal imho.

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WonderWinner

@rmpumper: the purpose of the thread is asking people if they'd abandon consoles if all games were ported to pc and the answer is a clear NO. Some people would, but not all of them.

WonderWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WonderWinner

@eoten: subscriptions are irrelevant to the upfront price, specially because they're optional. Adding subscription prices is grasping at straws.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13322 Posts

Damn right.

NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NathanDrakeSwag

@bluestars said:

@NathanDrakeSwag:

if i owned a XSX i wouldn’t have said i would buy a pc equivalent at price...keep up kid..hah

unfortunately the most powerful console on the planet sells out in seconds here in the uk..nearly 4 months after release...my one x is doing a sterling job till the frenzy dies down

HAH

So just like I Cry Daily you don't actually own any current gen consoles or a gaming PC

rmiller365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rmiller365
Member since 2010 • 1075 Posts

I'd discard consoles like a spam email if that happened. I've always bought a Playstation every gen to supplement with my PC, but if Playstation's games where on PC that $500 for a PS5 would go toward something that isn't redundant.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 9354 Posts

It depends. If all the Sony exclusives are available on pc in no more than 6 months after they're released on the ps5, then the ps5 and its "lower than the lowest pc graphical settings and welfare RT" has no reason to be purchased or even considered (unless you're a child). If said games take a year plus to come out on pc, then i'd say its still worth buying the system.

I have no issues with becoming the biggest hermit on SW.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 8283 Posts

I would drop consoles like a hot brick. Then I can concentrate exclusively on upgrading parts

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#48 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10665 Posts

That is the dream.

glad some more Sony stuff is finally coming to PC but seems like Nintendo will never happen

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator  Online
Member since 2013 • 16099 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

@eoten: subscriptions are irrelevant to the upfront price, specially because they're optional. Adding subscription prices is grasping at straws.

I kind of agree - except in this case it's not Gamepass but more functional. You can't play online without a subscription. That's... kind of a basic function of modern gaming (although personally I much prefer SP gaming unless doing something with and only with friends online these days).

In that sense, although technically option, if you aren't counting PSN or XBL in the cost you're kind of accepting an even deeper feature cut than the hardware being closed, weak, and having impoverished BC. It's not optional if you want to play online.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 7604 Posts

Yes, absolutely.

Unless a console lets you install another OS and then maybe I'd get one of those as a cheap alternative to building a new living room PC.

I wouldn't support a hardware mfg that locks down the device if it weren't the only way to play those games. **** 'em! It's a damn computer let me do what I want with it. What a waste of processing power.