Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19616 Posts

Harebrained is one of my favorite studios. I wasn't involved in most of these Kickstarters, but I have become a huge fan of the products they have been producing. Three complete revivals of the Shadowrun RPG titles on PC that pay proper homage to the original pen and paper games. They also came out with their turn-based Battletech game that follows the same ideals of the board/PAPRPG that I used to play in my younger days.

I've recently gotten back into Battletech, and trying to manage my way through mech repairs, monthly merc company expenses, travel costs, etc and it's great. I recently completed a mission in that game where I "won" and earned rep with the client, but several of my mechs got mangled. Here is the stuff I had to deal with as a result. 450k mission payout plus salvage rights, but here were my costs:

• Mech repairs were around 400k. Not counting the destroyed components I had to replace from my inventory.
  • Repairs took about a month to complete.
  • 3 out of 4 pilots where injured. Two took a couple weeks to recover and one took more than a month.
  • The whole time my mechs were being repaired and my mechwarriors were recovering, I wasn't earning money.
  • I have to pay monthly expenses regardless of if I'm earning money or not.

This game is awesome because this is all the kind of stuff I have to worry about. Winning a mission isn't all that's important. I have to modify my tactics to try to minimize the amount of repair costs I'll pay because they erode margin. The idea that a game can force you to keep this many factors into account is something I absolutely love.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 3936 Posts

UFO was the best turn based combat game due to unpredictable situations, just wish it was finished. Games back then were made in months rather than years.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1691 Posts

Slay the Spire is turned based.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 38529 Posts

Meh, I stop caring for turn-based games years ago. If I see a game that I like but it's turn-based, sure, I'll play it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44570 Posts

Are you referring to turn-based games in general, or more specifically turn-based tactics games like Battletech, X-COM, and so forth?

I feel the sub-genres of turn-based, in whatever broad genre they exist in (strategy, RPG, tactics, etc), are doing pretty good, especially in the modern gaming climate of instant gratification and rehashed shooter, action-rpgs, and so forth.

Some of my favorite recent turn-based games are:

• The XCOM reboots, especially the second one with its expansions. First time in a long time that DLC (specifically War of the Chosen) actually felt like a proper expansion pack of old instead of just something tacked on.
  • Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2. Great RPG's, I only wish I had the patience and curiosity I had as a kid so that I could finish the games or play them for more than an hour.
  • Tyranny. Not quite as great as Pillars, but still good. Novel concept, interesting plot.
  • Civilization 6.
  • Phantom Doctrine. This game took me totally by surprise. Cold-war espionage mixed with turn-based combat mixed with weird-but-awesome investigation mini-games mixed with....a lot of other stuff.
  • Mutant Year Zero: turn-based stealth (yes, stealth) with anthropomorphic animals? Ummm what? But you know what? IT WORKS! Another game that took me by surprise (thanks, Humble Bundle Monthly!)
  • Into the Breach

Some turn-based games that are out or coming out I need to try:

• WH40K: Gladius. Necrons!!!!!
  • Banner Saga 1, 2, and 3: bought it, still need to try it. It get's a lot of good press.
  • Phoenix Point: a non-XCOM game from the makers of XCOM that might as well be XCOM and I am OK with that.
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall. An AoW game...but sci-fi. I'm sold. Not the most consistent series in the world but it has its moments.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35690 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Great list of suggestions

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1144 Posts

I don’t have the time or patience for turn based games anymore. The reason being because of Grinding and horrible balance in most games.

I only like turn based if they are fast/sped up/easy.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 6709 Posts

I got XCOM 2, but I've yet to play much of it. Hopefully the next Steam sale will change that when I get the expansion and TLP. Loved XCOM EU/EW. I am sure Firaxis will announce XCOM 3 at some stage.

At the very top of my Steam wishlist right now is Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Reason: I've put over 1,100 hours into Age of Wonders III. Really looking forward to pitting dinosaur-riding space Amazons against communist space Dwarves.

And of course, Phoenix Point will come out on Steam and/or GOG at some stage. EGS drama aside, I'm still looking forward to it.

Turn-based games are great, a nice change of pace to the action-oriented games of today. I think the market for them is actually in pretty decent shape.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 evilross
Member since 2003 • 1996 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

That’s a pretty good list

I’d like to add in

Space Hulk: Tactics,

it’s available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One. Absolutely fantastic small unit turn based strategy game, with 2 full campaigns, skirmish mode, a full map editor and online multiplayer. If your a fan of Warhammer 40k it’s even better.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1538 Posts

You're in luck because it's already happened.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy  Online
Member since 2003 • 13936 Posts

Child of Light

Great on any platform

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 2810 Posts

I'm a huge fan of turn based too.

Have you tried Mordheim: city of the damned?

Very xcom-like, but with 360 degree movement instead of tiles.

Definitely not a perfectly balanced game, and rnjesus will definitely have his way with you sometimes, but lots of fun, and not very expensive. Think I paid $20 CDN or so.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14551 Posts

I remember back in the day a game called Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord. It still remains the best turn based strategy game I've yet to play. You'd give orders to your units and then hit "Go!", and your turn would unfold before you for sixty seconds as it also would for the enemy as you could do nothing but watch. Then afterwards it was possible to rewind and rewatch the turn to see how your strategy was developing. The game modeled a lot of aspects: troops could panic and be routed (and become veterans), ballistics were calculated as was armor thickness, angle and penetration, line of sight, units at distance were best guesstimated until closer, etc. Proper execution of real world military tactics actually worked.

As the action on both sides occurred simultaneously I don't know if it qualifies as a true turn-based strategy game like Battletech or XCOM but in structure it's only a slight distinction and feels the same. Here's an example of a round of play and regardless as basic as it looks, it's incredibly in depth. I don't know how many have played this but nobody ever seems to mention it and it's a great play for anyone interested in WWII and turned based gaming (if you can stomach the ancient presentation).

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 1623 Posts

Divinity 2 is turn based

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 2810 Posts
@Gatygun said:

Divinity 2 is turn based

Original Sin 2 is yes.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15  Edited By Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

Wait a sec here ... the title is about turn based game but then you talk about some kind of simulator ...

Turn based game I do play them. I bought "The longest five minutes" a cool retro JRPG with turn based. Very good. I did enjoy Ubisoft indi game "Child Of Light".

Otherwise I do go back to PSP remake of some old games like their version of FF Tactics, FFIV and FFIII

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20042 Posts

Play some pokemon.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 196

#17 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2566 Posts

Octopath Traveler?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 25577 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Are you referring to turn-based games in general, or more specifically turn-based tactics games like Battletech, X-COM, and so forth?

I feel the sub-genres of turn-based, in whatever broad genre they exist in (strategy, RPG, tactics, etc), are doing pretty good, especially in the modern gaming climate of instant gratification and rehashed shooter, action-rpgs, and so forth.

Some of my favorite recent turn-based games are:

• The XCOM reboots, especially the second one with its expansions. First time in a long time that DLC (specifically War of the Chosen) actually felt like a proper expansion pack of old instead of just something tacked on.
  • Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2. Great RPG's, I only wish I had the patience and curiosity I had as a kid so that I could finish the games or play them for more than an hour.
  • Tyranny. Not quite as great as Pillars, but still good. Novel concept, interesting plot.
  • Civilization 6.
  • Phantom Doctrine. This game took me totally by surprise. Cold-war espionage mixed with turn-based combat mixed with weird-but-awesome investigation mini-games mixed with....a lot of other stuff.
  • Mutant Year Zero: turn-based stealth (yes, stealth) with anthropomorphic animals? Ummm what? But you know what? IT WORKS! Another game that took me by surprise (thanks, Humble Bundle Monthly!)
  • Into the Breach

Some turn-based games that are out or coming out I need to try:

• WH40K: Gladius. Necrons!!!!!
  • Banner Saga 1, 2, and 3: bought it, still need to try it. It get's a lot of good press.
  • Phoenix Point: a non-XCOM game from the makers of XCOM that might as well be XCOM and I am OK with that.
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall. An AoW game...but sci-fi. I'm sold. Not the most consistent series in the world but it has its moments.

You can add Darkest Dungeon to this list. Awesome turn-based game.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5569 Posts

There are a lot of good turn-based games on the market, at least if you're a PC gamer.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 12600 Posts

You've made your move, now wait for the gaming industry to make theirs. Enjoy the meta, byshop. :P

OneLazyAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OneLazyAsian
Member since 2009 • 1715 Posts

Can't wait for Wasteland 3 to come out. Judging by the video InXile released some time ago, Wasteland 3 looks to have taken a Divinity: Original Sin 2 level leap from Wasteland 2. Can't. Freaking. Wait.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19616 Posts

@mrbojangles25:Good list. I guess what wasn't in my topic is not only turn-based games but games where you have to manage all of your resources like X-Com. I'm curious about Phoenix Point, but I'm a little annoyed at that game because they pulled some shadiness with their KS backers. They've moved to a timed Epic exclusive even though they allowed peopled to pick Steam as a reward. Steam keys will go out 1 year after Epic keys, which is pretty lame.

@evilross: I dug Space Hulk. I even used to play the original PC game (also based on the same Warhammer universe board game) way back when.

@clefdefa said:

Wait a sec here ... the title is about turn based game but then you talk about some kind of simulator ...

Turn based game I do play them. I bought "The longest five minutes" a cool retro JRPG with turn based. Very good. I did enjoy Ubisoft indi game "Child Of Light".

Otherwise I do go back to PSP remake of some old games like their version of FF Tactics, FFIV and FFIII

You may be thinking of a different game. There are a ton of Battletech mech piloting simulators that have been released over the years. I'm talking about a specific game that was released based on the same IP but is closer to the original tabletop game.

http://battletechgame.com/

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10532 Posts

@madrocketeer: @mrbojangles25: Turn Based Tactics made a pretty decent rival in recent years. I wanted to list Atlas Reactor but that game is unfortunately shutting down. An upcoming TBT game I know that hasn't been listed yet is Othercide.

Loading Video...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 2592 Posts

Not a fan of turn based gameplay in general but I really liked how Rise of Nations implemented it for the global map however the actual action is realtime. It's a nice blend of turn based strategy as well as RTS.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 126

#25  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 10735 Posts

I fuckin hate TBG (turn-based garbage). Always have. I remember playing the original X-COM on PC and couldn't even move my characters because I ran out of 'time units'. WTF kind of garbage is that? Real-time 4 life! :)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28689 Posts

I really enjoy turn based games especially JRPGs. I would love to see a mainline Final Fantasy game return to its classic turn based gameplay.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 6709 Posts
@NoodleFighter said:

@madrocketeer: @mrbojangles25: Turn Based Tactics made a pretty decent rival in recent years. I wanted to list Atlas Reactor but that game is unfortunately shutting down. An upcoming TBT game I know that hasn't been listed yet is Othercide.

Loading Video...

Ooh, XCOM meets Lovecraftian cosmic horror. Nice art style, though not entirely sure about the monochrome. Still, looks sweet. Followed on Steam. Cheers mate.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 2561 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I really enjoy turn based games especially JRPGs. I would love to see a mainline Final Fantasy game return to its classic turn based gameplay.

Love JRPG's. I'd love to see a sequel to one of the classics like The Legend of Dragoon or The Legend of Legaia these days. Even a new Chrono game would be welcomed tbh

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5344 Posts

I want a return to those late 80s to mid 90s management games you used to get on PC. Where you were the manager of some shipping agent or something.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 10532 Posts

@madrocketeer: I just remembered Phantom Brigade I thought it was already listed in this thread but it wasn't. It's an upcoming mech TBT game. Looks really good for those that weren't satisfied with the level of destruction of in Battletech.

Loading Video...

There is also the upcoming Gears Tactics

Loading Video...

The next Divinity game will also be TBT in the style of XCOM

Loading Video...

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26840 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I also like Wargroove. It released not too long ago. If you like Advance Wars it's very good. (The only thing missing are the fun CO's from Advance Wars. There are leaders but I don't like their personality/style as much. But you do get user-made campaigns in return...)

And Steamworld Heist was a solid 8+ for me. Maybe a little easy for turn based veterans, but otherwise an innocent, fun, well made package.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1017 Posts

Currently my favorite one is Panzer General. There is even a tournament for that game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 28689 Posts

@valgaav_219: I would most definitely love to see another Chrono game and/or sequel to The Legend of Dragoon.

LEGEND_C4A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LEGEND_C4A
Member since 2003 • 3080 Posts

@MirkoS77: this game is available on android, not sure about iOS

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#35 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

ah you made me nostalgic for Heros Of Might And Magic during the 90's

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3634 Posts

Turn based is incredibly hard to get right. Games that were turn-based and really engaged me were The Last Remnant, Xcom 2012 and Warhammer 40K Mechanicus.

For most turn-based games, the trap that is extremely hard to avoid is the "Oh, I'll just play this game while playing the Engineer in TF2" trap, because a game that occupies your time while you do something else is generally not all that fun because let's go back to the TF2 example: playing the Engineer can be pretty boring even though you're the second most important class in the game. You might grab Final Fantasy 3 to keep yourself entertained while occasionally tapping S on TF2 but if you aren't playing TF2, then you would rather NOT play a game similar to FF3 because by itself, that style of turn based gaming gets really old really fast

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 36889 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So I can fall asleep!!!

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1145 Posts

The next tales game tales of Crestoria is purely turn based and I kinda see what you mean in general.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 3631 Posts

I want them to bring back the Silent Storm series. I never seen more fun physics usage in a turn based game.

A perfect game would be to mix the physics tech of Silent Storm with the more non linear sector based open world and merc personalities of Jagged Alliance 2. It'd be such an epic game if this happened.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3193 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So I can fall asleep!!!

Action games can have the same effect on me. Especially when they're too easy and hand hold-y with very little challenge to be had like most AAA/mainstream bullshit. Same goes for the repetitive online/mp garb.

Not all tb, but here's a list of some upcoming stuff.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-list-of-incline-2019-edition.125517/

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#41 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 36889 Posts

@bussinrounds said:
@cainetao11 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So I can fall asleep!!!

Action games can have the same effect on me. Especially when they're too easy and hand hold-y with very little challenge to be had like most AAA/mainstream bullshit. Same goes for the repetitive online/mp garb.

Not all tb, but here's a list of some upcoming stuff.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-list-of-incline-2019-edition.125517/

I agree. We all have preferences and I hope you have a fun with yours

VERTIGO47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VERTIGO47
Member since 2002 • 7108 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So I can fall asleep!!!