I Tunes And Xbox Live, Does Sony Have A Chance To Beat Them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18830 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183900.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Where are those PSN cards?

user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts

Xbox live.. sure, its possible.

iTunes.. now that would be hard, thanks to the monopoly that Apple has and gets away with.

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

On Friday, we had a dinner where the heads of Sony Electronics, [Sony] Pictures, Sony BMG, and Sony PlayStation were all at the same dinner table intermingled and actually communicatingArticle

It's obvious where this is heading - movies from Sony Pictures, games from SCEA and music from Sony BMG. I hear they're also teaming-up with Sky for the European version of the PlayTV service.

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts

You can get Itunes for Free...

You have to pay $400 just to be able to download the service to pay Sony to download songs... Yep they will really win.

nicenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nicenator
Member since 2005 • 1938 Posts

Thats like asking if Apple or microsoft could ever beat Sony in HDTV manufacture. i havent seen anything of Sony to make me think its even trying to compete in microtransactions outside of its game content and the odd movie trailer.

Home may offer a few, but it will hardly be integral to the system.

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
My 360 already connects to my iTunes, iPhoto and whatever else iLife crap.
Eagles5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Eagles5
Member since 2005 • 302 Posts

You have to pay $400 just to be able to download the service to pay Sony to download songs... Yep they will really win.

GundamGuy0

you have to pay 500 or more for a computer. then you get itunes for free. after that you can choose to buy itunes media or dl music, movies or tv shows for free; For sony you can buy the media, or download it and stream or install it on your Ps3 HDD or buy sonys media. So, how about you dont put a spin on it when there dosent need to be one, ok?

latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 latinrage69
Member since 2003 • 2649 Posts
short answer, no. sony tried before with the sony connect service and failed. sure it's still around but no one uses it. what's the point when you can use itunes or zune marketplace for music and xbox live service for movies on the xbox. (i use both the zune marketplace and xbox live because they use the same exact payment system, ms points.) sony also tried to implement their connect service with the psp and never even bothered to launch the implementation, why? iTunes.
latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 latinrage69

Thats like asking if Apple or microsoft could ever beat Sony in HDTV manufacture. i havent seen anything of Sony to make me think its even trying to compete in microtransactions outside of its game content and the odd movie trailer.

Home may offer a few, but it will hardly be integral to the system.

nicenator

that's true but vizio beat sony in the lcd tv market with samsung at a very close second. sony i believe dropped to either 6th or 10th.

Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

Quick question: Has Apple signed a deal to only have iTunes on X-Box Live? Because I see no reason why they wouldn't just let sony also have access to that crap. If anything, you would think that Apple has a grudge against Microsoft more then Sony.

But realistically, iTunes sucks a huge virtual wang. It and it's virus-like quicktime can f right off.

Element00216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Element00216
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts
[QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

Eagles5

you have to pay 500 or more for a computer. then you get itunes for free. after that you can choose to buy itunes media or dl music, movies or tv shows for free; For sony you can buy the media, or download it and stream or install it on your Ps3 HDD or buy sonys media. So, how about you dont put a spin on it when there dosent need to be one, ok?

No it isn't.

Most people have computers. To compare the PC attatchment rate to the PS3 rate would be plain moronic. How about we compare the population of China to Rhode Island? I think that will be more productive. Calm down and think your posts through before arguing against logic. You also don't need to spend $500 on a computer -- you can get a basic one that can run iTunes for about $299 these days.

TarmacChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TarmacChris
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

My 360 already connects to my iTunes, iPhoto and whatever else iLife crap.DaysAirlines

Does it really? I can only get mine to read window's medie player files...? Last time I tried that is.

latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 latinrage69

[QUOTE="latinrage69"]short answer, no. sony tried before with the sony connect service and failed. sure it's still around but no one uses it. what's the point when you can use itunes or zune marketplace for music and xbox live service for movies on the xbox. (i use both the zune marketplace and xbox live because they use the same exact payment system, ms points.) sony also tried to implement their connect service with the psp and never even bothered to launch the implementation, why? iTunes.Slashkice

...people actually use the Zune marketplace? 0.o

Anyways to OP, no for iTunes, yes for Xbox Live. iTunes has too strong a hold on the market to be kicked off it's throne. Though both the program and the hardware are pretty awful compared to other alternatives (y halo thar foobar and zen), Apple has the benefit of being trendy to the casual market. As for Xbox Live, PSN still has a chance. With Home on the way, and being free, PSN could certainly take XBL. It all depends on how the market plays out.

actually itunes can be dethroned in the music marketplace, especially now that nbc universal took all of it's music, tv shows and movies out of itunes because of a contract dispute. btw, nbc universal represents 40% of itunes purchases. link

yes people do use the zune marketplace. i've been using it since the zune first launched last year. but that's me, i don't know about the other 4 people who use the zune marketplace.

SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
[QUOTE="GundamGuy0"]

Eagles5

A computer is pretty much as much of a given these days as a refrigerator.A PS3, not so much. So, how about you don't tryto put a spin on it when there doesn't need to be one, ok?
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18830 Posts
for some reason i dont like Apple. Am i a bad person?
latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 latinrage69

for some reason i dont like Apple. Am i a bad person?PSP107

no, you're normal. the people who buy macs are the same people that don't knowhow to use a pc. they don't even know that the right mouse button is missing until you tell them and show them a real computer mouse. besides, apple products are over hypes, over priced, and offer less than the competition.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Yes to both. Sony certainly has the resources to beat both, the question is will they go the distance? XBL really isn't that hard to beat, especially considering Sony's huge library of TV shows, movies and music. If home pans out I think the guys at MS are going to have their work cut out for them. However, that may be a very big if.

As for iTunes, it would take a concerted effort on the part of all the major labels but killing iTunes could be done in a matter of years. Universal already decided not to renew their contract with Apple, so should Sony/Warner/EMI decide to not renew their contracts, iTunes would certainly be doomed. So should Sony create a online music service that is more appealing to the labels, they very well could kill iTunes.

stray720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stray720
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts

actually itunes can be dethroned in the music marketplace, especially now that nbc universal took all of it's music, tv shows and movies out of itunes because of a contract dispute. btw, nbc universal represents 40% of itunes purchases. link

yes people do use the zune marketplace. i've been using it since the zune first launched last year. but that's me, i don't know about the other 4 people who use the zune marketplace.

latinrage69

Um...NBC Universal and Universal Music Group share almost no relation aside from the name. UMG isn't leaving iTunes.

latinrage69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 latinrage69
[QUOTE="latinrage69"]

stray720

Um...NBC Universal and Universal Music Group share almost no relation aside from the name. UMG isn't leaving iTunes.

well your half right. vivendi sa owns 20% of nbc universal while ge owns 80% of it. umg isn't leaving itunes though they opted for a shorter contract with itunes. nbc universal, the subsidiary company, left itunes and took its catalog with it.

stray720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stray720
Member since 2004 • 172 Posts
[QUOTE="stray720"][QUOTE="latinrage69"]

latinrage69

well your half right. vivendi sa owns 20% of nbc universal while ge owns 80% of it. umg isn't leaving itunes though they opted for a shorter contract with itunes. nbc universal, the subsidiary company, left itunes and took its catalog with it.

I like your logic, if just for the fact that if I were to apply it, I could start calling my car a Porsche. It's a VW, but since Porsche just upped their stake in VW to 32% I think, well... you get the idea.

In reality tho, they're both very separate companies.