I told you Android is gonna kill handhelds and it did

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 HFkami
Member since 2009 • 855 Posts
so back in the day i said android is gonna kill handhelds since the xperia play is gonna come out, maybe it wasnt that particular model but android over all and its many devices which it has to offer, including the particular i mentioned. There are no denies ps vita failed and the 3ds will soon face the same destiny. I think its quite arrogant how people say its the 3ds who is the reason for that its obviously android and the smartphone market as its competes directly with the older generation of sony. And the concept is keep getting going of handheld based android devices even to the next level. A company named Archos is releasing a handheld tablet running on android, xperia play suffered because it was way more expensive for its hardware in comparison to other smartphones or tablets not to mention about 3ds or vita. http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/archos+gamepad+8gb+ww+1778cm+7+8gb+1gb+ram/refcampaign_id/0c59b7c191b6f18a10b2b1e157b4f1a8http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/nintendo+3ds+kosmos+schwarz?refcampaign_id=0c59b7c191b6f18a10b2b1e157b4f1a8 But this is even cheaper than the 3ds it cost only 150 while the 3ds costs 13 more. And the device is stronger than the 3ds and vita, has bigger screens than both of them, higher resolution, more ram, internal memory of 8 gb and not mention about the android OS and all its aps. That thing can do much much more than anything what 3ds and vita can. Nintendo is screwed the most because they have no successful online store and service who can compete with android so i dont bother talking about them. Sony may have still hope as they have a strong online store, if sony wants to survive it has to open up their playstation store so every one can make apps for it and support more cross platform with the ps3 and 4. Its also has to release vita in different versions like 3 including a real phone version and a big screen version which can be used as a ps3 controller. Bacillary sony could be like apple making products for a certain smaller but stronger paying fanbase. My brother gave me last time some games he bought in the ps3 store to my old psp like some psx and psp games. This is the way to go for sony, nintendo doesnt have anything like that so thats why i have not many hope for them.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Why did I read Android as Arnold?
Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts
As an android user who owns nexus 4 and nexus 7 im telling this device main problem is Android because sadly it doesn't have enough good games even ios is better for gaming let alone the other hanhelds.
HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HFkami
As an android user who owns nexus 4 and nexus 7 im telling this device main problem is Android because sadly it doesn't have enough good games even ios is better for gaming let alone the other hanhelds.Kashiwaba
seriously?? Did you payed death triggger its much better than anything handhelds have and death trigger and many other games are free or cost only like 6 , show anything hanhelds have. You have to pay everything and a lot on vita or 3ds. Like games of these days are good they arent. You also can use any regular emulator and play alundra this is good game.
Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts
You mean dead trigger? I will try this later but anyway im talking about original games only emulators are something else they are the only thing which makes my nexus 7 get more playtime than my other systems especially that even last gen handhelds are very close to perfect emulation cough dsoid.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Was just playing Minecraft on my phone.
HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HFkami
You mean dead trigger? I will try this later but anyway im talking about original games only emulators are something else they are the only thing which makes my nexus 7 get more playtime than my other systems especially that even last gen handhelds are very close to perfect emulation cough dsoid.Kashiwaba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzkCTe76Bc death trigger is a real game just look at the graphics
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

3DS will survive because japanese devs who can't afford developing for next-gen will support it. And if it has games, people will buy it.

Mobile market is a hellhole for games, especially Android. Those devs won't support it with the kind of titles 3DS is getting. At most you can hope for port few years later.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
phone gaming has only reaffirmed the importance of dedicated handheld devices. I like gaming aps but it just doesn't replace every genre. The control is just not as good.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
You mean dead trigger? I will try this later but anyway im talking about original games only emulators are something else they are the only thing which makes my nexus 7 get more playtime than my other systems especially that even last gen handhelds are very close to perfect emulation cough dsoid.Kashiwaba
there are alot of great games and i dont mean the s****e ( imo always ) that angry birds/fruit ninja are . Dead trigger is probably one of the best free games and though you can buy in game items you can still beat the main campaign by not spending anything ( or if you spend $1-2 you get a quite good amount of stuff unlike other fremiums ) Rayman jungle run also is one of the most impressive games out there Gameloft despite blatantly copying games on consoles/pc does have a few high quality games such as asphalt series Is just that is kinda hard to find the good games on play store and that is android markets biggest problem
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Oh no the 3DS is still selling well but it is so doomed because of the multitasking telephone. You can play 4 games at the same time on those things oh my.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23007 Posts

I gotta be honest, I want to explore the android market for games because i know there are some good ones but i never have enough time outside a few minutes for hill climber every once in a while.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
lulz, android games. But yeah, I guess they are great when you have the attention span of a squirrel. Controls are horrible and if you really hype crap like Dead Trigger then there's no hope for you anyway.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Nintendo handhelds will survive on the strength of their games, but the traditional handheld market is finished.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheEroica  Moderator
Nintendo handhelds will survive on the strength of their games, but the traditional handheld market is finished.charizard1605
Char ive wanted to ask you this based on your enthusiasm for nintendo... obviously, as you stated, the traditional handheld market is vaporizing before our eyes.... but what do you think nintendos NEXT handheld will look like? I cant see them as a solely game company giving up that massive revenue and simply say, the market is dead, so how will they innovate!? A nintablet that runs a nintendo OS and dowloadable apps featuring first party games? What'cha think?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Nintendo handhelds will survive on the strength of their games, but the traditional handheld market is finished.TheEroica
Char ive wanted to ask you this based on your enthusiasm for nintendo... obviously, as you stated, the traditional handheld market is vaporizing before our eyes.... but what do you think nintendos NEXT handheld will look like? I cant see them as a solely game company giving up that massive revenue and simply say, the market is dead, so how will they innovate!? A nintablet that runs a nintendo OS and dowloadable apps featuring first party games? What'cha think?

Handheld/console convergence. A tablet that docks into your TV and becomes a console, and is otherwise a handheld. A more expanded version of the Wii U concept.
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="Kashiwaba"]As an android user who owns nexus 4 and nexus 7 im telling this device main problem is Android because sadly it doesn't have enough good games even ios is better for gaming let alone the other hanhelds.HFkami
seriously?? Did you payed death triggger its much better than anything handhelds have and death trigger and many other games are free or cost only like 6 , show anything hanhelds have. You have to pay everything and a lot on vita or 3ds. Like games of these days are good they arent. You also can use any regular emulator and play alundra this is good game.

The controls are a bit hard,you need and experia like phone and with 2 analogues or play it with your 360 or PS3 controller the graphics are good to.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheEroica  Moderator
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]Nintendo handhelds will survive on the strength of their games, but the traditional handheld market is finished.charizard1605

Handheld/console convergence. A tablet that docks into your TV and becomes a console, and is otherwise a handheld. A more expanded version of the Wii U concept.

That could be a cool device!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="TheEroica"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Char ive wanted to ask you this based on your enthusiasm for nintendo... obviously, as you stated, the traditional handheld market is vaporizing before our eyes.... but what do you think nintendos NEXT handheld will look like? I cant see them as a solely game company giving up that massive revenue and simply say, the market is dead, so how will they innovate!? A nintablet that runs a nintendo OS and dowloadable apps featuring first party games? What'cha think?

It would, but Nintendo would have to nail it completely. I'm assuming the reason the Wii U feels so experimental is because it is very literally a test bed for their future system.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
I've long wondered about the future of handheld gaming, with Tablets and Smartphones entering the market. However, just the other day, I realized something. Tablets and Smartphones are to Handhelds, what the PC is to Consoles, and console gaming is still going strong.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I love my Android tablet.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Who are you

yourmate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yourmate
Member since 2010 • 165 Posts
Nintendo has and always will stay strong in the hand held market. If you really wanted a gaming experience, as if you would opt with a smartphone over a dedicated handheld console. As for other handhelds such as the Vita etc, its only a matter of time before Sony withdraws from this segment of the market.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Why did I read Android as Arnold? clyde46
Because...

i5Yqk.jpg

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Which is why the 3DS is surpassing what the DS did in the same amount of time on the market?
Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Not really, The vita is doing badly because it's just a bunch of watered down PS3 ports... no one really wants that. I have a 3ds because well, it has some good games. I will never get Mario Kart, Tales of the Abyss, Mario Land, Fire emblem on my phone. Even the phone games I would want (Final Fantasy Tactics) I haven't because I hate how my fingers are in the way of the screen. The most I have on my phone is Angry Birds and Bejeweled. Why, because those are just my stand in line time killers. My 3DS normally stays at home so I can play the exclusive content on it that I can't get on anything else.

Phones are not going to kill nintendo, maybe Sony will drop their handheld line, but it's the one area that Nintendo still knows how to do well. All they have to do is release a pokemon game and they will sell like hotcakes.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#27 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Android isn't hurting handheld gaming, Apple is. If any company is doing any damage to mobile gaming devices, it's Apple's iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

It appears so with something like the Vita. However, the 3DS has a lot of its own unique games and parents haven't been turned away from buying 3DS systems for their children. The 3DS is doing great right now, and that's without Pokemon. Just like all the other Nintendo handhelds before it, the 3DS will pick up as soon as Pokemon comes. IMO, it was a REALLY bad move on Nintendo's part to launch Black and White on the DS. For someone like me, it seems everytime I have been close to buying a 3DS for myself, Nintendo announces a new Pokemon game for DS. They need to just jump to the 3DS already. B&W 2 was on DS and if 3 is as well, they are just waisting time. There should be a new full Pokemon game exclusive to 3DS by next year.Nintendo should hurry.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
Android isn't hurting handheld gaming, Apple is. If any company is doing any damage to mobile gaming devices, it's Apple's iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone.musicalmac
Yes
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

one reason is that you can run emulators on Android (maybe iOS too if you jailbreak) for everything from NES to PSX

HFkami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HFkami
Android isn't hurting handheld gaming, Apple is. If any company is doing any damage to mobile gaming devices, it's Apple's iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone.musicalmac
Android clearly surpassed ios, apple has only like 20% marketshare now the rest is almost all android. [QUOTE="Tylendal"]I've long wondered about the future of handheld gaming, with Tablets and Smartphones entering the market. However, just the other day, I realized something. Tablets and Smartphones are to Handhelds, what the PC is to Consoles, and console gaming is still going strong.

Only software consoles are stronger than pc but when it comes to hardware PC sales were always higher. Even if you only count things like Graphicscards whic hare supposed to be played with HD Games sold more than consoles. But i think things are changing now consoles may have more games but the PC gets more and more high quality Free To Play games, and the same path are facing smartphones which will get more and more games like dead trigger.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Nope, haven't played one good android game while I'm practically bathing in amazing DS and 3DS games, not to mention exploring some PSP games recently too.
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#33 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Android appeals to the casual market thus will have greater sales since there are much more casual gamers out there. Handhelds arent going anywhere either but Nintendo and Sony should look into the future cause android/ios is becoming a big competitor. I still very much prefer playing games on my 3ds or vita than my Android tablet.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#34 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

so back in the day i said android is gonna kill handhelds since the xperia play is gonna come out, maybe it wasnt that particular model but android over all and its many devices which it has to offer, including the particular i mentioned. There are no denies ps vita failed and the 3ds will soon face the same destiny. I think its quite arrogant how people say its the 3ds who is the reason for that its obviously android and the smartphone market as its competes directly with the older generation of sony. And the concept is keep getting going of handheld based android devices even to the next level. A company named Archos is releasing a handheld tablet running on android, xperia play suffered because it was way more expensive for its hardware in comparison to other smartphones or tablets not to mention about 3ds or vita. http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/archos+gamepad+8gb+ww+1778cm+7+8gb+1gb+ram/refcampaign_id/0c59b7c191b6f18a10b2b1e157b4f1a8http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/nintendo+3ds+kosmos+schwarz?refcampaign_id=0c59b7c191b6f18a10b2b1e157b4f1a8 But this is even cheaper than the 3ds it cost only 150 while the 3ds costs 13 more. And the device is stronger than the 3ds and vita, has bigger screens than both of them, higher resolution, more ram, internal memory of 8 gb and not mention about the android OS and all its aps. That thing can do much much more than anything what 3ds and vita can. Nintendo is screwed the most because they have no successful online store and service who can compete with android so i dont bother talking about them. Sony may have still hope as they have a strong online store, if sony wants to survive it has to open up their playstation store so every one can make apps for it and support more cross platform with the ps3 and 4. Its also has to release vita in different versions like 3 including a real phone version and a big screen version which can be used as a ps3 controller. Bacillary sony could be like apple making products for a certain smaller but stronger paying fanbase. My brother gave me last time some games he bought in the ps3 store to my old psp like some psx and psp games. This is the way to go for sony, nintendo doesnt have anything like that so thats why i have not many hope for them.HFkami

lol the 3ds sold 1 million in a week this last week world wide and its dead? something tells me your missing a few screws calling handhelds dead now if your talking about vita ya that thing is seariously dead and not even the xmas boost is gonna help it

trent44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 trent44
Member since 2008 • 255 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheEroica"] Char ive wanted to ask you this based on your enthusiasm for nintendo... obviously, as you stated, the traditional handheld market is vaporizing before our eyes.... but what do you think nintendos NEXT handheld will look like? I cant see them as a solely game company giving up that massive revenue and simply say, the market is dead, so how will they innovate!? A nintablet that runs a nintendo OS and dowloadable apps featuring first party games? What'cha think?TheEroica

If Vita implemented advanced DLNA screen mirroring (or Wii U's Streaming Tech), it would be there right now.

I really don't see why Sony has yet to capitalize on this opportunity.

It would be a great way to differentiate the Vita.

And it would give both a mobile screen and big screen entertainment and all new games would still only be $39.99.

It is the pipe dream gamers have been wanting.

I only hope Sony takes the opportunity to make it so with the eventual Vita Revision.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts
People buy androids because it's a phone, games is a nice second addition. If people were buying androids for the games then you would have a fair point.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#37 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Most games on tablets and phones are like facebook games.. there are some good ones, but sadly most end up being rubbish.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

The controls are not that bad if you give touch controls a chance, sure a gamepad is better but phones have better controls for shooters than psp could ever dream of. The like of Mass Effect, Shadow Gun, Need for Speed, Nova 3, Modern Combat 4 among others are awesome, sure they are basically console rip offs but that's all psp really has. Modern Combat 4 has been said to be one of the the best games of the year buy reviews and not just by phone standard either. If someone makes a universal clip on gamepad with sticks and shoulder buttons that works on a range of devices such as s3, one x, razor and xperia s etc and is supported by all games the handheld market will die.

The thing is most people have a smartphone capable of playing many games, so why would you buy a dedicated hand held gaming device when you can get a almost as good experence on your phone?
Mobile games are terrible anyway be it ps vita 3ds or phones, games are ment to be be played on the big screen, but portable games are great for when you are away from home or on the bus and phone games are more than enough for that.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
Most games on tablets and phones are like facebook games.. there are some good ones, but sadly most end up being rubbish.Rattlesnake_8
Nova series, Modern Combat series, Shadwogun, Dead Trigger, Wild Blood, Mass Effect and all the other gameloft games not to mention all the ps2 rockstar games are all console type games, many much better than ps2 games. The play store might be over run with casual games but there are some quality console level games out there.
RpgGamer23q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#40 RpgGamer23q
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts
[QUOTE="Rattlesnake_8"]Most games on tablets and phones are like facebook games.. there are some good ones, but sadly most end up being rubbish.imprezawrx500
Nova series, Modern Combat series, Shadwogun, Dead Trigger, Wild Blood, Mass Effect and all the other gameloft games not to mention all the ps2 rockstar games are all console type games, many much better than ps2 games. The play store might be over run with casual games but there are some quality console level games out there.

Hence why he said "there are some good ones" either way majority of them are trash.