I thought PC gaming was affordable?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_Pages/area-51_alx/area-51_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R6&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

WHy the heck is there a comptuer ofr that much? Why even release somthing like that?

Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
That is the only PC in the world...:roll:
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts
Alienware is a total rip off. That's why it costs so much.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_Pages/area-51_alx/area-51_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-AREA51-ALX-R6&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

WHy the heck is there a comptuer ofr that much? Why even release somthing like that?

Guess_With_ReX
Because it's Alienware. I can build a PC just as powerful for around $3,500.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
And that is the only PC on the market?
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
The hermits shall pour their wrath upon you for bringing up alienware, in fact so shall I. *pours wrath upon TC*
Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mass_Effect
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

BioShockOwnz

And thats "affordable"?

16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
Is this what console fanboys think of when they think of "PC"?
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Cheap!
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

Mass_Effect

And thats "affordable"?

I think it is.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
Alienware. :|
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Guess_With_ReX
I dunno I just want to get a new PC, and I want to get Vista, and play some games, So I was checking up, if you want to get something, why not get the best so you be ahead of the market for a while, sucks that 6000 is being a head......by not even alot.
darklord888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darklord888
Member since 2004 • 8382 Posts

Mass_Effect

And thats "affordable"?

Hell no! A $4000 HDTV is way cheaper!
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
[QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

BioShockOwnz

And thats "affordable"?

I think it is.

' He means he can build a PC for more than half the AlienWare price. Most of the stuff on that PC is over kill. Most PC games dont even need that much power. And 3TB? Sure its nice to have all that extra space on the hard drive, but come on. You're fine with a 160-200GB HDD. Unless you download mass ammounts of pronos.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Guess_With_ReX
[QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

darklord888

And thats "affordable"?

a 4000 HDTV? maybe if its 70 inch and ndoes 1080p
HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
Really, Dell/Alienware are just ripoffs... if you are really going to buy a prebuilt then get a Falcon Northwest or Voodoo...
http://www.falcon-nw.com/
http://voodoopc.com/default.aspx
I had to go through a lot to keep my mum from buying a dell... Current computer runs WoW fine, just needed a memory upgrade :P... Gfx card upgrade would be nice but 300Watt PSU is a no-go...

$3,500USD buys you a full home built system with a QX6700, SLI 8800GTX, 2Gb DDR2-800 or 4Gb DDR2-533/667, 19" display,  mouse, keyboard, mousepad, speakers,  CD driver, everything.

You can buy a E6300/1950Pro/1Gb for about $1,000USD
A $400USD-$600USD computer can eat Crysis alive if you try hard enough... requires some overclocking but it can be done
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I dunno I just want to get a new PC, and I want to get Vista, and play some games, So I was checking up, if you want to get something, why not get the best so you be ahead of the market for a while, sucks that 6000 is being a head......by not even alot.Guess_With_ReX

There are quite a few PCs that can run Vista. Anything with around 1GB of RAM, a 1.5GHz processor and DX9 video card will do you fine. That is of course... if you want to miss out on DX10... which is happening to mostly everyone who is buying Vista now.
chipface-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 chipface-z
Member since 2006 • 1336 Posts
That's why you don't buy pre-built PCs. It's cheaper to build them. Even though you don't have to go through the process of putting a pre-built together, I find them to give me more headaches than one that I built myself.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Guess_With_ReX
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

EmilioDigsIt

And thats "affordable"?

I think it is.

' He means he can build a PC for more than half the AlienWare price. Most of the stuff on that PC is over kill. Most PC games dont even need that much power. And 3TB? Sure its nice to have all that extra space on the hard drive, but come on. You're fine with a 160-200GB HDD. Unless you download mass ammounts of pronos.

Why? Maybe he put backup of blue ray movies on his comp?
16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

EmilioDigsIt

And thats "affordable"?

I think it is.

I've been doing fine with 70GB. I only filled up about 75% of it so far. I'd like to meet the man who needs 3TB.
billyea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 billyea
Member since 2005 • 6153 Posts
Did you click the ad on top of the forum?
EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
[QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

16bitkevin

And thats "affordable"?

I think it is.

I've been doing fine with 70GB. I only filled up about 75% of it so far. I'd like to meet the man who needs 3TB.

Exactly.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

Guess_With_ReX

And thats "affordable"?

My tv was $6,000. :(
neogeo419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 neogeo419
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"][QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

BioShockOwnz

And thats "affordable"?

My gosh. Is it gold plated.

oback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 oback
Member since 2004 • 7151 Posts
I dunno I just want to get a new PC, and I want to get Vista, and play some games, So I was checking up, if you want to get something, why not get the best so you be ahead of the market for a while, sucks that 6000 is being a head......by not even alot.Guess_With_ReX
it has two graphics cards in SLI and a quad core processor. you know absolutly nothing about PC's
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts

A $400USD-$600USD computer can eat Crysis alive if you try hard enough... requires some overclocking but it can be done
HostileEffect

Yep, a couple of mates and I were checking if we would be able to get a good gaming PC for less than 600 euro's. It wasnt that hard to do.
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

i wanna buy that.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"][QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

neogeo419

And thats "affordable"?

My gosh. Is it gold plated.

No. :( http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS5797DXXAA.asp
munu9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 munu9
Member since 2004 • 11109 Posts
hermits make it seem like anybody can build a good gaming PC for under $1000. But the truth is 80% of comsumers aren't capable of building there own PC of that caliber from just scratch parts and will have to spend at least $2000 on a decent gaming PC.... (but alienware does overprice there stuff...)
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

Guess_With_ReX

That computer costs so much because its jam packed with hundreds of dollars in software you will never use. It also has extra peripherals most people won't buy when building a computer, such as the Blue-Ray player and 3 TERABYTES OF STORAGE (No one needs that much). Also, they make these computers and pack them with all that useless software to make a quick buck on people who don't know how to build a computer themselves. Alienware likes to take advantage of people's lack of knowledge, and it's sad how many people actually buy into their PC's.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
hermits make it seem like anybody can build a good gaming PC for under $1000. But the truth is 80% of comsumers aren't capable of building there own PC of that caliber from just scratch parts and will have to spend at least $2000 on a decent gaming PC.... (but alienware does overprice there stuff...)
munu9

Who cares whether or not the average consumer can read an intructions manual?  Most people who game on their computers are more than capable of buying parts and plugging in a few molex connectors.
Can-o-Mark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Can-o-Mark
Member since 2005 • 3844 Posts
munu9

Thats not true at all. When I didnt know that much about computers I bought a gaming PC for 800 euro. Back then it could play most games on high settings.
Twista-lem-er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Twista-lem-er
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="EmilioDigsIt"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

16bitkevin

And thats "affordable"?

I think it is.

Well I've got 2 500gigs in my pc and are both completely full (both are used for gaming and multimedia storage) and use a 250gb for the os. I can see myself needing 2TB later on.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Guess_With_ReX
PC Gaming is and isn't affordable. There's a high barrier to entry, but you can gain performance whenever you want to. You have the added bonus that every hardware upgrade improves *all* of your PC Games. You're never going to go back and play old console games to find they have better graphics than they did before - that's something a PC offers. For example - you could buy an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (overclock to 2.6ghz) and socket AM2 motherboard for $160. Add on a gig of DDR2-800 RAM for $100 and a GeForce 7900gs for $160 and you have a solid gaming setup. That's $420 - not much more than an Xbox 360. Of course that's assuming you have a 500w PSU, ATX case, hard drive, and DVD-ROM driving lying around. If you don't, add another $200 to the cost. And of course you'll want an operating system, but you should know someone you could get you a free copy of XP via the MSDAA. Personally, I don't think PC Gaming is affordable, because "affordable" assumes that the only thing you have to upgrade is your GPU, or that when it comes time for a CPU upgrade or more RAM, the memory type and motherboard you're using are still supported. My PC I built to play Doom still played Oblivion, but it doesn't run Fear well enough to be playable. 848x480 @30fps on low settings looks *worse* than Counterstrike, Halo, etc... at a high resolution with all the goodies turned on. New games look *worse* on an old system than your current games, the exact opposite of what tends to happen over time with console games. The other argument I see is "you need a PC anyway" - there's some truth to that, but where I put money for general use versus where I put it for gaming - two different worlds. Frankly, why not buy a $600 dual-core laptop, put in two gigs of RAM, and just set up a USB hub and DVI cable to a 27" monitor on my desk? What good is a desktop to me?
bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
You can upgrade a PC to be able to play almost all games at high setting for well under $1000.
Liquid_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Liquid_47
Member since 2003 • 4905 Posts

16bitkevin

And thats "affordable"?

I think it is.

If you want to do video editing, footage takes up about 180mb of space for every minute of video. Multiply that by 60 for an average feature-length film and 3TB sounds quite enticing if you have many movies you want to edit.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Alienware is the most overpriced crap in existance. You can get a custom built computer put together FOR YOU if you're lazy by Geek Squad for 60 bucks and still come out with a high end rig cheaper than 1K. if you wanted. You see, over time, PC gaming is cheaper anyway thanks to cheaper games. Its also a misconception that one has to upgrade during one generation. If you purchase something that outperforms consoles in 2005, it will still be doing so in 2011. Its durka durka to think that over time parts just magically get worse. You can buy a standardized machine for cheap and be able to have games that look better than most consoles games, and still be doing so by the end of a generation. Upgrades are not a must. They only are if you are an AV nerd or a power twink.
Conker-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Conker-Fan
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts
[QUOTE="darklord888"][QUOTE="Mass_Effect"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

Guess_With_ReX

And thats "affordable"?

my tv is $1800- 1080p 65" . I didnt buy it for gaming unlike youd buy a pc for

Conker-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Conker-Fan
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts

Alienware is the most overpriced crap in existance. You can get a custom built computer put together FOR YOU if you're lazy by Geek Squad for 60 bucks and still come out with a high end rig cheaper than 1K. if you wanted. You see, over time, PC gaming is cheaper anyway thanks to cheaper games. Its also a misconception that one has to upgrade during one generation. If you purchase something that outperforms consoles in 2005, it will still be doing so in 2011. Its durka durka to think that over time parts just magically get worse. You can buy a standardized machine for cheap and be able to have games that look better than most consoles games, and still be doing so by the end of a generation. Upgrades are not a must. They only are if you are an AV nerd or a power twink.Vandalvideo

no not really. - spec wise sure, but the quality of games, no

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Alienware is the most overpriced crap in existance. You can get a custom built computer put together FOR YOU if you're lazy by Geek Squad for 60 bucks and still come out with a high end rig cheaper than 1K. if you wanted. You see, over time, PC gaming is cheaper anyway thanks to cheaper games. Its also a misconception that one has to upgrade during one generation. If you purchase something that outperforms consoles in 2005, it will still be doing so in 2011. Its durka durka to think that over time parts just magically get worse. You can buy a standardized machine for cheap and be able to have games that look better than most consoles games, and still be doing so by the end of a generation. Upgrades are not a must. They only are if you are an AV nerd or a power twink.Conker-Fan

no not really. - spec wise sure, but the quality of games, no

I repeat, "If you purchase something that outperforms consoles in 2005, it will still be doing so in 2011. This is a fact, because its not like PC parts get worse over time. Our quality of games just evolve a lot MORE than yours. We can stick with low end and still have games that look better than console games if the hardware is innately better. Its common sense.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
[QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

BioShockOwnz

I can build one just as powerful for 3,100.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vandalvideo

Hot_Potato

A lot of that stuff in there is useless, and you could build a high end rig for 1K.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="Hot_Potato"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

Vandalvideo

A lot of that stuff in there is useless, and you could build a high end rig for 1K.

You can build a good PC for $1000. But high-end? No. High-end would demand a QX6700 and a 8800 GTX in SLI. That alone is about $1900.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

TheCrazed420

You can build a good PC for $1000. But high-end? No. High-end would demand a QX6700 and a 8800 GTX in SLI. That alone is about $1900.

You don't need SLI to be considered High-end actually. A single 7950, which is 250, is considered high end. It can easily outperform consoles. I could EASILY build a high end rig for 1K.
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

Mass_Effect

And thats "affordable"?

considering what u get for it is

u spend alot u get alot simple as that

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
What i've been wanting to ask console fanboys: Are consoles really that cheap?
muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts
My PC cost about 1k with out a monitor and all the other stuff, couse I had it all. Also overclocking increases performance for free.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Guess_With_ReX
What i've been wanting to ask console fanboys: Are consoles really that cheap?
_Pedro_
No, but I still haev a 360.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

Vandalvideo

You don't need SLI to be considered High-end actually. A single 7950, which is 250, is considered high end. It can easily outperform consoles. I could EASILY build a high end rig for 1K.

I know. You can build a great PC for 1k. But when you speak of high-end in the PC world nowadays, it's certainly not with a DX9 card. High end is bleeding edge components. Thats a quad core and at the minimum one 8800GTX or ATI's R600 counterpart, when it finally comes out.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="Hot_Potato"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"][QUOTE="Guess_With_ReX"]

TheCrazed420

I know. You can build a great PC for 1k. But when you speak of high-end in the PC world nowadays, it's certainly not with a DX9 card. High end is bleeding edge components. Thats a quad core and at the minimum one 8800GTX or ATI's R600 counterpart, when it finally comes out.

No, "high-end" is a term used to define hardware that can run games on high with great frame rates. "Top of the line" is the bleeding edge. That is extremely unneeded.