I the only one to think Gears2 looks more of the same?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

Granted, the movie was incredible, the graphics were good(though suffers from kz2's no-color syndrome) but...am i the only one that feels like it'll just be like the first gears?

We saw ZERO new gameplay-changing elements(please dont say that "gun sword battling or picking up a body" will be game changing). All i saw was the same tactics from gears, and quite frankly, wasnt impressed

Basically, if you didnt like the first one, from this video, i HIGHLY doubt you'll enjoy the second one. And if you did like the first one, and expect the second to be ground-breakingly innovative like the first one, don't get your hopes up.

Eltroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Eltroz
Member since 2007 • 5238 Posts

Naw, All the cows right now are telling themselves the same thing again and again trying to make themselves believe it.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ice144

Naw, All the cows right now are telling themselves the same thing again and again trying to make themselves believe it.

Eltroz

I am not a cow, but i would like you to tell me what part of that gameplay video will bring in people who didnt like the original.

Dunkaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Dunkaman
Member since 2005 • 111 Posts
looks the same as gears 1 too me except with some more stuff on screen bigger levels and a little bit of color, but since they had so much crap and little slowdown its pretty good. For consoles i think it will be king until killzone 2 comes out
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
It does look more of the same, which is a good thing as long as they fix the several minor annoyances of the first game (and balance the online play).

If they can manage to make the online bearable (and balanced, and squad based) and fix the annoyances and a couple gameplay mechanics, then the game might actually be deserving of it's score this time around.
manny280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 manny280
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
nope and even if it was who doesnt want more that game was awesome
FFXFan22604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 FFXFan22604
Member since 2005 • 320 Posts
Gears was average at BEST. I will for sure skipping Gears 2
USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 USSJAndrew
Member since 2004 • 5042 Posts
Isn't that just about like every game series EVER..?
fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

it is technically impressive, but the improvements are insignificant. Rendering tons of characters onscreen provides no boon to gameplay. I'm not watching a movie, I'm playing a game!

I do understand their position, though. Gears is a franchise that cant make massive improvements gameplay wise. It really has no where to go. What can they add, except little things here and there....

USSJAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 USSJAndrew
Member since 2004 • 5042 Posts

it is technically impressive, but the improvements are insignificant. Rendering tons of characters onscreen provides no boon to gameplay. I'm not watching a movie, I'm playing a game!

I do understand their position, though. Gears is a franchise that cant make massive improvements gameplay wise. It really has no where to go. What can they add, except little things here and there....

fiscope

Wrong...

AC-360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AC-360
Member since 2008 • 542 Posts

It does look more of the same...but isn't that what fans of the game want? :?

Its no killzone 2 though. Not even close

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ice144

fiscope

This is exactly how i felt. I'm wondering how review sites will rate gears' gameplay based on what you just said. Will they say it's more of the same, or will they give it a pass because of the type of game it is?

Million-dollar question.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

fiscope

So your saying the first one was so perfect it cant be improved? Isnt that a good thing?

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ice144
[QUOTE="fiscope"]

TOAO_Cyrus1

So your saying the first one was so perfect it cant be improved? Isnt that a good thing?

That's an incorrect comment. No game is perfect, you always expect something new from the sequel, take Halo. Even though people didnt think more could be truly added, they added items such as the bubble shield, power drainer, etc.

Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

Thank you for defining a sequel.

fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fiscope
[QUOTE="fiscope"]

TOAO_Cyrus1

Not realy perfect. It's kind of like pokemon. thinka baout it, where has the series gone? Where can it go? All they will do is add more pokemon. No massive changes. No gameplay mix-ups. just more of the same. taht can be a good thing though.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ice144
[QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"][QUOTE="fiscope"]

fiscope

Not realy perfect. It's kind of like pokemon. thinka baout it, where has the series gone? Where can it go? All they will do is add more pokemon. No massive changes. No gameplay mix-ups. just more of the same. taht can be a good thing though.

actually, i remember there being some major changes to the gameplay of pokemon.

Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts
This thread fails and all I hear is MOO!!!!!
Iszk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Iszk
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts
Yes, you are the absolute only person to ever think that. Your mom was right, you ARE a unique and special snowflake. :)
lalamusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lalamusa
Member since 2005 • 659 Posts

Granted, the movie was incredible, the graphics were good(though suffers from kz2's no-color syndrome) but...am i the only one that feels like it'll just be like the first gears?

We saw ZERO new gameplay-changing elements(please dont say that "gun sword battling or picking up a body" will be game changing). All i saw was the same tactics from gears, and quite frankly, wasnt impressed

Basically, if you didnt like the first one, from this video, i HIGHLY doubt you'll enjoy the second one. And if you did like the first one, and expect the second to be ground-breakingly innovative like the first one, don't get your hopes up.

ice144
can some1 send the link 2 the video plz. thanks
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

It's Gears of War 1 + bigger battles/locales and a couple gameplay additions (i.e grabbing downed opponents and chainsaw battles).

The gameplay is the same for all intents and purposes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
And anyone expected any different? They made a 9.6 GOTY game with little more than a bit of brown filter, a chainsaw gun and lots of alien blood. Why screw up a successful formula when you've already made millions off of it?
htotheo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 htotheo
Member since 2005 • 2759 Posts
[QUOTE="fiscope"][QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"][QUOTE="fiscope"]

ice144

what were those changes, pokemon blue and red is close to the same thing as pearl and diamond. and seeing as this is gameplay wise dont add in online play system cause the gameplay has been exactly the same.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TOAO_Cyrus1
[QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"][QUOTE="fiscope"]

fiscope

Well we have only had one Gears game and a short one at that. Im up for allot more.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TOAO_Cyrus1

It's Gears of War 1 + bigger battles/locales and a couple gameplay additions (i.e grabbing downed opponents and chainsaw battles).

MikeE21286

And what else do you expect? Same with killzone 2 and resistace 2. Show me a shooter in the last 10 years that did more.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

What exactly were you expecting?

Just like Resistance, they're going to rush-release this and reel in the holiday season cash. I think both games should be delayed till mid 2009 to improve pretty much everything (neither look to add anything significant) but it won't happen.

Chich8787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chich8787
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Honestly who cares if someone thinks this games looks like more of the same, couldn't the same be said for Resistance 2 or Gran Turismo 5? All I know is Xbox360 owners will have another blockbuster AAA title to play this fall, so for all those hating on Gears 2, don't play it and definitely don't buy it, its your loss.
MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

TOAO_Cyrus1

And what else do you expect? Show me a shooter in the last 10 years that did more.

I wasn't expecting anything more at all. I didn't say I was disappointed or anything like that. Just not "OMGz BLOWN AWAY!!!!1"

It was what I expected it to be. A Gears of War 1 "expansion pack"

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
This is one of those games where more of the same isn't a bad thing.
True-Legend86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 True-Legend86
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

Now that we see the gameplay and graphics have not changed - 6hour gameplay confirmed.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ice144
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

TOAO_Cyrus1

And what else do you expect? Same with killzone 2 and resistace 2. Show me a shooter in the last 10 years that did more.

Halo to halo 2

Half life to half life 2

BF 1942 to BF 2

COD 3 to COD 4

List goes on and on. You are probably right about resistance 2 being more of the same, but kz2 looks to be much improved over its predecessor.

If you didnt notice the trend from the games i just listed, those are AAA games becoming even better AAA games, something I'm hoping to see from gears 2, but now doesnt look likely.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

It's a sequel, so of course it will be similar to Gears 1.

Anyways, so far i'm not impressed by the graphics but i've only seen pictures, i can't see the damn vid.

Mystery-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mystery-
Member since 2007 • 2144 Posts
More of the same is what people want...Gears of War was just that great of a game.
Auroni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#35 Auroni
Member since 2004 • 1284 Posts

In my opinion the gameplay was great and doesn't really need any major improvements. Things can be tweeked here and there but thats it. Gears is my favourite game on the 360 and I'd rather have more of the same.

However, it needs to FIX the problems that it had which includes multiplayer problems like hosting and making a way to play ranked matches with friends. Single player also needs to be a bit longer (10 hours is solid for a multiplayer based shooter) and I hope it delivers on the storyline like most of the EPIC staff are stating.

Finally, I have no idea why people are complaining about the graphics. Sure they look a bit better but what the hell did you expect. Gears had good enough graphics.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ice144

More of the same is what people want...Gears of War was just that great of a game.Mystery-

Of course, that is completely understandable. But you'd think they would TRY and add something like the games i listed earlier up on this page. That is where I'm disappointed.

fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fiscope
[QUOTE="fiscope"][QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"][QUOTE="fiscope"]

ice144

True. night and day. but these are, again just small things when you look at what other series have done. Compare zelda for NES and Zelda 2. Total change in game type.
TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TOAO_Cyrus1
[QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"][QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

ice144

Halo to halo 2

Half life to half life 2

BF 1942 to BF 2

COD 3 to COD 4

List goes on and on. You are probably right about resistance 2 being more of the same, but kz2 looks to be much improved over its predecessor.

If you didnt notice the trend from the games i just listed, those are AAA games becoming even better AAA games, something I'm hoping to see from gears 2, but now doesnt look likely.

The basic gameplay in all those games were the same. All they did was add more features to the multiplayer and such. And thats exactly what Gears is doing.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ice144
[QUOTE="ice144"][QUOTE="fiscope"][QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"][QUOTE="fiscope"]

fiscope

True. night and day. but these are, again just small things when you look at what other series have done. Compare zelda for NES and Zelda 2. Total change in game type.

Nah, they added way more than night and day. They added holded items(which apparently was a major change to the "hardcore" pokemon crowd), how some skills arent based off the same stat anymore, and a new type (dark? or was it steel?) etc.

Auroni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#40 Auroni
Member since 2004 • 1284 Posts
[QUOTE="ice144"][QUOTE="fiscope"][QUOTE="TOAO_Cyrus1"][QUOTE="fiscope"]

fiscope

Pokemon has had no major changes.

Zelda OoT and TP are pretty much the same besides the gay wolf which is pointless.

Zelda 2 sucked.

It's a sequel. If you want totally different gameplay then wait for a new IP from Epic. Seriously.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Of course, that is completely understandable. But you'd think they would TRY and add something like the games i listed earlier up on this page. That is where I'm disappointed.ice144

Why try when you can repackage the same thing and make even more money? Some developers don't give a rats ass about being innovative or care about gamers desires for new and fresh experiences. Some developers know that when they find a cash cow, they exploit it until it dries up.
Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
okay graphically it looks the same at the first one but gameplay i'm more impressed
gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts
[QUOTE="MikeE21286"]

TOAO_Cyrus1