I played Uncharted and i really liked it but that hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

So i don't play that many console titles any more unless multi platform, but i really did enjoy the first Uncharted on the PS3 which i finished 2 months back, the only thing i could not really get over though was the hype surrounding it, it's merely a clone of Tomb Raider with better gun mechanics. I found the puzzles to be a bit lacking, the graphics for it's age i will admit are pretty nice.

Other than that though the hype?

I have UC 2 and 3 too so i will go through them, but i can't help but feel like i'm replaying Tomb Raider just with a man as a protagonist and superior gun play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

First off U2 is better then U1, when thst is said, we might as well face it, There is A LOT of people in the sony camp who Will hype anything PS based to an insane degree, or simply care more about polish then gameplay (the second part is a matter of taste, no right or wrong there).

But yeah Uncharted is nowhere near as great as people make it out to be, it is a good game which has been overrated to unreal levels.

Average gameplay at best and good presentation.

I think it is a game series worth playing, but you are right there is a reason why it was called "dude raider" for a long time. But the story is good, characters have some depth, so there certainly are areas where ND manages to pull off great things.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The Uncharted series doesn't really do it for me. And the first game is pretty meh, but which tomb raider are you relating it to?

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RekonMeister

@lostrib: Anniversary, Underworld, obvious the archaic ones are not really the same.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

UC series are one of a kind and one of the best , if not the best game , under its respective genre that its that good , blends alot of different elements , and it does what it does with "fashion".

Now , if you dont like this game or something its fine , i can understand why you might not. But actually many people dissing it for being shitty or overhyped when its one of those games that scoring AAA metacritic again and again while at the same time winning countless GOTY and Industry awards ? So is it really that bad or overhyped or it actually meets the high standards its been hyped for every single time ?

Anyways , UC4 is another AAA caliber title that most likely will meet AAA and win some industry awards as well. If you ask me , far from overated or overhyped.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RekonMeister

@AzatiS said:

UC series are one of a kind and one of the best , if not the best game , under its respective genre that its that good , blends alot of different elements , and it does what it does with "fashion".

Now , if you dont like this game or something its fine , i can understand why you might not. But actually many people dissing it for being shitty or overhyped when its one of those games that scoring AAA metacritic again and again while at the same time winning countless GOTY and Industry awards ? So is it really that bad or overhyped or it actually meets the high standards its been hyped for every single time ?

Anyways , UC4 is another AAA caliber title that most likely will meet AAA and win some industry awards as well. If thats overhyped crap then ...dont play it.

I see your defensiveness towards the UC series and i respect that, i did mention i really enjoyed the game, it however is not a GOTY or remotely close to the hype it has garnered, though this is obviously quite subjective and only based on opinion.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Based on what i've heard. UC1 is not good at all, UC2 is the shit.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RekonMeister

From what i can tell it seems the PS3 had no games before UC came to the fore, so the only bragging rights Sony had was UC, and to that point it's not an amazing game, it just had to be hyped so much to sell consoles and make other system lovers jealous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Uncharted 1 was far from being not good. It was a really enjoyable experience with good story and good characters. Granted, it wasn't amazing, but for it's time it was a fun journey.

However, Uncharted 1 wasn't the game that was hyped to be GOTY material. Uncharted 2 is better than Uncharted 1 in every way and is when the series began winning countless awards.

Uncharted 2 is widely known as the best Uncharted game. You can play it and enjoy it, but don't let the hype get to your head. Sometimes people go in hearing so many good things about the game and come off disappointed. This is because you can't know if you will enjoy the game in the same way others have. Just know that in terms of the kind of game Uncharted is and in relation to other entries in the series, it's one of the best.

Whether that translates to you enjoying it as much or not is entirely up to you.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

The only Uncharted game I played was 3 and it was enough to let me know its assaroni.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@rekonmeister said:

From what i can tell it seems the PS3 had no games before UC came to the fore, so the only bragging rights Sony had was UC, and to that point it's not an amazing game, it just had to be hyped so much to sell consoles and make other system lovers jealous.

LMFAO.

Can these guys get any more desperate?

Sure bud, sure. PS3 had not games before uncharted and it doesn't deserve any awards because you (who's alt are you again?) say so.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Basically there's been two pretty average to shitty Uncharted games and one great one. I'd liken the great one (uncharted 2) to a summer blockbuster. It's a fun experience but not really absolutely amazing. The game is well made and well paced, up until the end at least but to me has no sort of lasting appeal.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

UC1 is the probably the worst in the series. You should play UC2 and UC3 before judging the series. UC2 is by the best in the series and is leagues ahead of UC1, it's not even funny.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Sony could release poop and cows would still hype it as the best thing ever.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Come back when you have played Uncharted 2. Thats your problem

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

UC2 is the only one worth playing.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts
@casharmy said:
@rekonmeister said:

LMFAO.

Can these guys get any more desperate?

Sure bud, sure. PS3 had not games before uncharted and it doesn't deserve any awards because you (who's alt are you again?) say so.

Can we stop calling newcomers "alt" ? Just because he doesn't support your agenda doesn't mean he's an alt.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I have all three Uncharted games as well. The general consensus among official reviewers is that the series is a great one. I tend to agree more with their assessment than random viewers in a forum. Unlike other fans of the series, I liked UC3 better than UC2. I don't know why. But, the train levels in UC2 that preceded "Where am I?" felt a little kiddie to me. The levels in UC3 were more to my tastes, especially the pier and City of Brass.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea, I'll never understand the hype for Uncharted games. They're fine games but completely unremarkable. Even UC4 is being hyped as the second coming of Jesus and I don't get why.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Bait.

TR is a clone of UC and UC has more to do with Gears of War than old ass forgotten TR games.

Try harder.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

You just fucking said it, that you have only played Uncharted 1.

serious...

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI
@rekonmeister said:
@AzatiS said:

Anyways , UC4 is another AAA caliber title that most likely will meet AAA and win some industry awards as well. If thats overhyped crap then ...dont play it.

I see your defensiveness towards the UC series and i respect that, i did mention i really enjoyed the game, it however is not a GOTY or remotely close to the hype it has garnered, though this is obviously quite subjective and only based on opinion.

Are you serious right now or are trying to start shit?

You just said you only played Uncharted 1.

No one ever claimed Uncharted 1 as GOTY or some great shit. Uncharted 1 had the least hype and attention. Very good game for the time that was pretty refreshing and stunning graphically.

So stop spinning shit and simply go play the games and create your own views and opinions, then decide if you will get U4. If you do, play it and create your on own views and opinions about that one too.

Right now all your doing is getting the first game of the series and saying you dont understand the whole franchise.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Yea, I'll never understand the hype for Uncharted games. They're fine games but completely unremarkable. Even UC4 is being hyped as the second coming of Jesus and I don't get why.

The hype comes from UC2 mostly, a fantastic squeal that made its genre mainstream in modern era. Popularise the formula that UC3 TR follows now. Even dared to include good fun Coop and Multiplayer just to cover all the stigma movie games get. The hype is because its a fantastic series that has good and a fu***ng great game. The hype is from The Last of US. Until ND completely shit the bed expect there games to get hyped don't matter Uncharted, The Last of US or whatever new project they work on.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44606 Posts

agree, they never felt worth their hype as far as gameplay goes, but they're not without importance for their time, the first game raised the bar as far as production values and in games goes (animations, motion capture, voice acting, writing, artistic design, so on) and pushing for more cinematic qualities, it also (along with Gears) helped further reinforce modern cover mechanics and reflex aiming early last gen, so it definitely wasn't without an important impact in the industry

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Uncharted is fantastic, has it aged well not sure but when it came out I was blown away by how good it was. Gameplay was great, visually it was awesome, and the story kept me hooked, what else is there? Fanboys gonna go full derp though I guess.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I really enjoyed all the Uncharted games so far. 2>1>3 in my eyes. The games are extremely polished, well as much as the hardware can allow a game to be. I do believe that Tomb Raider has overtaken it though, which is why I am excited for Uncharted 4, I believe Tomb Raider will make Uncharted 4 an even better game.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KEND0_KAP0NI

@sailor232 said:

I really enjoyed all the Uncharted games so far. 2>1>3 in my eyes. The games are extremely polished, well as much as the hardware can allow a game to be.

I know this is most people's view as well, but I agree with GS review score (and Meta) and I rank them the same:

Uncharted 2 = 9.5

Uncharted 3 = 9.0

Uncharted 1 = 8.0

So... 2>3>1 (if you are talking about the experience you had first playing it raw)

But it still doesnt really matter that much to me because I love them all and have played each atleast a dozen times.

And if you want to talk Story and presentation (like originality):

2>3>1

And if you want to talk gameplay:

3>2>1

And if you want to talk about over all package (this includes online multiplayer)

3>2>1

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Well when you make a top 5 game of all time like Uncharted 2, its hard to live up to that, but Naughty Gods followed it up with another top 5 game of all time with a new IP.

They are an elite developer who make incredible, world class games.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:
@sailor232 said:

I really enjoyed all the Uncharted games so far. 2>1>3 in my eyes. The games are extremely polished, well as much as the hardware can allow a game to be.

I know this is most people's view as well, but I agree with GS review score (and Meta) and I rank them the same:

Uncharted 2 = 9.5

Uncharted 3 = 9.0

Uncharted 1 = 8.0

So... 2>3>1 (if you are talking about the experience you had first playing it raw)

But it still doesnt really matter that much to me because I love them all and have played each atleast a dozen times.

And if you want to talk Story and presentation (like originality):

2>3>1

And if you want to talk gameplay:

3>2>1

And if you want to talk about over all package (this includes online multiplayer)

3>2>1

Yeah that's not a bad ranking. The games are an all round great package. ND are legendary and put out great games. I'm really looking forward to see how UC4 does.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

I like Uncharted 1 story the most. It's a great game.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RekonMeister

WOW so much hostility in this thread, so yeah excuse my ignorance and this...

"So stop spinning shit" -? and simply "go play the games and create your own views and opinions"

I thought that's what i did with this thread no? Or am i on a different planet? or is it because you dick ride Sony? i can't tell whether it's the lack of brain cells or what i just said.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

They are pretty good if you enjoyed the 1980s Indiana Jones movies which were kickass

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

I know exactly how you feel. While I played through the games a few times, I always liked them but never found them to be that uber amazing. In example after finishing Halo or God of War, I immediately start a new game. Never had this feel for the Uncharted games. They are good to play through once in half a year though. And I am superhyped for UC4 because I loved the MP in the beta and it looks georgeous.

They are great games but for me, they are not what they are hyped for.

BiggChonies882

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BiggChonies882
Member since 2012 • 126 Posts

@rekonmeister: U2 is one of the five best games ever. Uncharted 4 apparently is better according to Naughty Dog. So I mean... Do the math buddy.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224

@ellos: what? TPS were already mainstream. The new Tomb Raider games, especially the 2nd one, don't play like uncharted games. They're more open and have actual progression. Fantastic is a stretch. Uncharted games are basically video game junk food

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@mjorh said:

Based on what i've heard. UC1 is not good at all, UC2 is the shit.

i played UCHARTED 1 and it was terrible lol the controls we're all over the place.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ellos

@mems_1224 said:

@ellos: what? TPS were already mainstream. The new Tomb Raider games, especially the 2nd one, don't play like uncharted games. They're more open and have actual progression. Fantastic is a stretch. Uncharted games are basically video game junk food

I was talking about these particular types of TPS games that incorporate varied mechanics. Travels Shooting Exploration/summer blockbuster if you will. Mainstream meaning Uncharted success was all of the suddenly these games were competing with the most popular genres. Part of the reason why square-enix went crazy with there expectation of Tomb Raider. Sold on multiple platform and Iconic character to go with it. They saw uncharted numbers and figure the market was prime for these types of games.

The formula is similar with some differences Tomb Raider more exploration handles replay value with tracking back and what not. Uncharted more action and handles replay values with coop and mp. Essentially they are summer blockbuster with different narrative different actors. I consider Uncharted 2 to be a fantastic put together package of all of this. This gen going bigger and wider was what was expected for there sequels.

If you don't think Uncharted is looked at when it comes to Tomb Raider ask Phil Spencer why he decided to secure exclusivity to ROTTR. He had other TPS games but nothing like Uncharted as he says. Tomb Raider was it. Not just for the type of game but for how successful that type of game is.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224

@ellos: again, these types of games were already popular. Tomb Raider was already insanely popular. The Indiana Jones games were popular and we'll received. Uncharted didn't popularize or do anything that hadn't already been done

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ellos

@mems_1224 said:

@ellos: again, these types of games were already popular. Tomb Raider was already insanely popular. The Indiana Jones games were popular and we'll received. Uncharted didn't popularize or do anything that hadn't already been done

Yes your correct they were popular and well received perhaps I should rephrase my meaning. I just view that the level of where uncharted is at right now is very high for these type of games. Uncharted 4 has a potential of becoming the best selling single platform console game defeating the likes of Gran Turismo and Halo. If you look at the type of game it is. Its not a FPS game with great multiplayer. Its not an open world game. It is very much a movie game. Those are the heights that the series has potential of setting. Its quite surprising in this modern era. This type of game is about to reach that level of success.

Yes many great games are not original Gears Of War for example is not original but it did cover shooting the best and popularise that style. Considered the best TPS game. If originality was all its crack up to be we will be singing different tunes.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Congrats. Now that you dissed Uncharted and The Last of Us I hope you feel better. Less insecure and stuff. But please don't make another thread for each PS3 game you played.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#42 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Blog it.