I own God of War, who else? How is everyone liking it?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Got my copy, it’s sealed and won’t open if for a while, I’m in no rush.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@sts106mat said:

i've just played fhe first couple of hours. it is awesome. i dont think ive played a third person game where the combat felt so weighty.

the game is looking like if its really quite something special.

Keeps getting better and better, just wait when you get to the updating and ****!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@ArchoNils2: Had to revisit the thread to give you my personal opinion now that I lock-in 3 hours before heading to work.

First let me just say the visual are on par with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice which is funny, since there both Norse games and which is good, because I really like Hellblade game but moving on, it's nowhere stunning as Horizon: Zero Dawn but God of War 4 still looks amazing. I found Atreus (Son of Kratos) actually pretty useful in this game. He grows on to you as you play the game, he adds another dimension to the game play and another dimension to the story with his personality.

Now about the combat, 8/10, it's fun but there are small annoyances like the camera, and auto tracking/focus but as I adapt to the combat gameplay, I actually like the new combat gameplay cause after replaying GoW3 Remastered, the combat was indeed dated and this new one was a nice change for once in the series.

• It's loud and satisfying
  • Switching between melee and armed combat is fun
  • There is no "out of sight - out of fight" here. You constantly have to watch your back (literally).
  • Atreus is useful
  • Parry is satisfying and even demanded by the game mechanics
  • Movesets are very limited at the beginning

It’s not bad by any means, and throwing the Axe makes up for the simplicity of the melee combat. Little annoyed at constantly getting snuck from behind in packs, but Axe throw, plus using the kid in tough battles does mix it up a bit. Fingers crossed that cool moves/weapons/variation get unlocked later. I'll try to return later as I progress the game further on and so far, I give this refresh God of War game a 7/10 for now.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

You guys should get together and play some sweet God Of War multiplayer to celebrate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#56 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Will play it once I get home. Can't wait for that glorious 1080p/43fps.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Got my copy after over 4 hours maybe 5 of play, its time for a break. So many to unpack a lot of philosophical game design questions. Mostly about game intent and the added accessibility. For now I just gotta say kudos for who ever design the combat. Whatever happened this person did not cower away from annoying some gamers I praise him for this. He did not chicken out because of this camera. He design a challenge using the camera and not make some deliberate easy thing like always put AI in front of the player, because the player will be annoyed. That type shit that some times devs do. You do have to be mindful of position and mostly which enemies to priorities. I have been playing on "Give me a challenge mode" started out with some difficulties but getting easier as i start to formulate my way of fighting with different enemies and a few upgrades. Saving for the last difficult mode for another play through. Damn even these button mapping seems like some one really thought about the combat, how attacks feel.

I cannot speak about the whole game but man so far I'm grinning from combat moments, story moments and a couple of exploration secrets. This game is trending to be something great.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Its on its way before 8PM tonight according to Amazon.. I can't wait!!

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
@davillain- said:

@ArchoNils2: Had to revisit the thread to give you my personal opinion now that I lock-in 3 hours before heading to work.

First let me just say the visual are on par with Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice which is funny, since there both Norse games and which is good, because I really like Hellblade game but moving on, it's nowhere stunning as Horizon: Zero Dawn but God of War 4 still looks amazing. I found Atreus (Son of Kratos) actually pretty useful in this game. He grows on to you as you play the game, he adds another dimension to the game play and another dimension to the story with his personality.

Now about the combat, 8/10, it's fun but there are small annoyances like the camera, and auto tracking/focus but as I adapt to the combat gameplay, I actually like the new combat gameplay cause after replaying GoW3 Remastered, the combat was indeed dated and this new one was a nice change for once in the series.

• It's loud and satisfying
  • Switching between melee and armed combat is fun
  • There is no "out of sight - out of fight" here. You constantly have to watch your back (literally).
  • Atreus is useful
  • Parry is satisfying and even demanded by the game mechanics
  • Movesets are very limited at the beginning

It’s not bad by any means, and throwing the Axe makes up for the simplicity of the melee combat. Little annoyed at constantly getting snuck from behind in packs, but Axe throw, plus using the kid in tough battles does mix it up a bit. Fingers crossed that cool moves/weapons/variation get unlocked later. I'll try to return later as I progress the game further on and so far, I give this refresh God of War game a 7/10 for now.

I've put in about 10 hours so far, but oddly, I haven't had any camera issues. Also, when in a pack, there are markers around your character that are white for close enemies, and red for attacking enemies. The goal is to use those markers to know when you are getting attacked from behind. Works pretty well. When an enemy attacks from the front they sometimes have a large circle grow out of their body, where orange attacks can be parried to stun them, and red are not blockable.

I do agree that even with many of the upgrades i've got, the fighting stays pretty simplistic from that perspective.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#60 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

we got a sticky for it now.