I just sold my Switch and all my Switch games. Good idea or bad idea?

• 82 results
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7063 Posts

@Atomic1977 said:

Here is the biggest advice I can give. As a Nintendo Switch Lite gamer. Its the only system I have now other than A computer I only buy the games I want to play. I may demo games that look interesting and I read plenty of reviews and go on forums to gage peoples opinions on things. But in all truth the only thing that matters is you. Its your world so do what you want when it comes to gaming or the lack there of. Thank you and have a great day.

Yeah, that's kinda how it was for me and that's how I ended up in this situation. I would buy a Switch, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, all the good ones. I would think hey, I used to love this as a kid, they get great reviews, retain their value, are regarded as gaming royalty, how could I not possibly like this? I bought a lot of stuff that looked good on paper but I didn't actually like it. Now I'm just buying and playing stuff I like.

An example is like Red Dead Redemption 2. It gets great reviews, but to me, it is the biggest steaming pile of horse shit of a game ever made. There are actually a ton of popular, great selling, critically acclaimed games that I think are total dog shit. I'm actually an extremely picky gamer and I like very little, but what I do like, I love.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By arkephonic

@sargentd said:

@arkephonic: honestly man, sounds like you probably just don't care about video games in general as much as you used too.

I wouldn't sell mine because i play it often, my lady plays it alot too that's her main console, mine is PC

I think I still love video games, I just realized I'm super picky, I don't like very many games. I put 200 hours into Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age, 250 hours into Fallout 4 GotY, 300 hours into Diablo 3, Probably about 100 hours into Streets of Rage 4 all in the last year or so. I don't like playing a lot of different games. I don't like very many different games. I only like a few games, but I will play them a lot and never get tired of them. That's why I don't want Game Pass, just a bunch of dog shit on there. I'm so picky with games that Diablo 4 is the only next gen game I might buy.

Basically, this week I accepted the fact that I no longer like Nintendo stuff, and I really haven't liked any of it since after the N64 starting with the GameCube. I really didn't like or play my GameCube very much, or my Wii, or my Wii U or my Switch. I don't really like anything Nintendo has released since Super Mario 64, and my favorite of their stuff is on the SNES.

That's why they call us Sheep, we buy shit for no reason, even if we don't like it.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#53 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5907 Posts

Stopped playing Nintendo games a long, long time ago, grew out of them.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20509 Posts
@arkephonic said:

I put 200 hours into Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age, 250 hours into Fallout 4 GotY, 300 hours into Diablo 3, Probably about 100 hours into Streets of Rage 4 all in the last year or so.

@arkephonic said:

That's why I don't want Game Pass, just a bunch of dog shit on there. I'm so picky with games

I mean, not trying to sell you on Gamepass. I don't use it, doesn't really mesh with my gaming habits.

But SoR4 was on Gamepass, pretty sure from day 1. And FFXII TZA is about to be on there.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 arkephonic

@ConanTheStoner said:
@arkephonic said:

I put 200 hours into Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age, 250 hours into Fallout 4 GotY, 300 hours into Diablo 3, Probably about 100 hours into Streets of Rage 4 all in the last year or so.

@arkephonic said:

That's why I don't want Game Pass, just a bunch of dog shit on there. I'm so picky with games

I mean, not trying to sell you on Gamepass. I don't use it, doesn't really mesh with my gaming habits.

But SoR4 was on Gamepass, pretty sure from day 1. And FFXII TZA is about to be on there.

I have zero interest in Game Pass. I can see its value for certain people, but for me personally, it has zero value.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9359 Posts

@arkephonic said:

@HalcyonScarlet: Yeah, PC only might be the way to go because it can cover all the bases in one device. Owning a console kind of seems like owning a smartphone and then carrying around an average camera to take pictures with when you could just carry only your phone to do everything, including pictures, and better pictures. Only problem I have is that I have some incredible saves on my Xbox that I don't want to lose. If it wasn't for the saves, I'd be PC only already. I really do want to limit myself to only 1 console at a time though because I like to exercise self discipline and clean up the clutter.

Well, you can carry over your saves to the the PC with Gamepass, if it's on games that work on the PC. Also I think the saves may stay with the account.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20509 Posts
@arkephonic said:

I have zero interest in Game Pass. I can see its value for certain people, but for me personally, it has zero value.

I mean, I get you. Me neither.

Just thought it was odd that you'd say it's "just a bunch of dog shit" when 2 of the 4 games you're all about are on there. 😂

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 arkephonic

@ConanTheStoner said:
@arkephonic said:

I mean, I get you. Me neither.

Just thought it was odd that you'd say it's "just a bunch of dog shit" when 2 of the 4 games you're all about are on there. 😂

I mean, I think the same thing about Netflix. My girlfriend and I always laugh when scrolling through Netflix, as if they're trying to see just how many bad movies they can fit onto one service. There's a good movie here and there, just like with Game Pass, but it's an overwhelmingly crap offering. I'd be much better served spending $60 on a game I actually want, and owning it forever, not just until Game Pass decides my time with it is done.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4223 Posts

You need to ask SW this? Odd really.

If you are not enjoying something, get rid of it. Does not really matter what it is.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 5726 Posts

Care about this, I do not.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8860 Posts

@arkephonic: Bro think all the money you lost by selling that stuff you got pennies on the dollar for selling that stuff if you keep you retain all your value bro what are you doing you lost value. You made barely any money with this move you coulda had some fun just holding onto an playing it whenever you get the urge again. This was a terrible move. The value for selling was not there at all.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 arkephonic

@ProtossRushX said:

@arkephonic: Bro think all the money you lost by selling that stuff you got pennies on the dollar for selling that stuff if you keep you retain all your value bro what are you doing you lost value. You made barely any money with this move you coulda had some fun just holding onto an playing it whenever you get the urge again. This was a terrible move. The value for selling was not there at all.

I didn't sell it for money, money isn't an issue. I also didn't sell it to GameStop, I sold it privately to people for values higher than Pricecharting, over $1,000 including the system, controllers and games. Holding onto this stuff for 10 years or whatever just to make a few extra bucks is not in my game plan.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28638 Posts

sure sounds good

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 I_P_Daily
Member since 2015 • 21631 Posts

How is the thread on 2 pages?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14799 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

He should've sold his Xbone instead.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ProtossRushX

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@i_p_daily said:

He should've sold his Xbone instead.

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 I_P_Daily

@NathanDrakeSwag: Damn, Xbox fills your brain day in day out, and all this hate for Xbox and you still have your XB1X, why don't you sell yours?

I_P_Daily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 I_P_Daily

@ProtossRushX: Are you a hermit, sheep or cow this week?

Either way you're always a fakeboy 24/7 🤣🤣🤣

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2264 Posts

@arkephonic said:

Yeah it's not about money. For the last year or so, I've developed a minimalist mentality where I only want to own things that I use. I don't wanna store a bunch of stuff that I don't use. I've sold a ton of stuff with this mentality and I love it. I don't expect the Switch to be any different. I would be much more likely to miss my huge and amazing retro game collection that I sold.

I was and still am on the same boat as you were, except I didn't sell any of my past consoles and have them to this day in storage. But, I took a minimalist approach after generation 6 (PS2/GC/XBOX era), and decided to stick to just one console into generation 7, with just a PS3, and focus all my gaming on a single system. And I could honestly tell you, as a single system owner (PS4 Pro), I couldn't be more happier.

Yes, I have missed out on a lot of exclusives from both Xbox and Nintendo platforms, but I realize the logic with my choice is: Almost every platform carries multiplatform games. Therefore, I'd rather just focus on the games that's already available on a single system and finishing them. I am mainly a 3rd party gamer, which is 95% of my PS4 library, with a few exclusives on the side. And the PS4 Pro has me covered on every fronts...indies, AAA games, multiplats, exclusives, you name it. I feel, in my opinion, that having every platform is just a waste of money, space, and time, especially if some of the exclusives don't even interest me at all. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

Being a multi system owner may work well for some, kudos to them, but I know well enough it's not for me.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#70 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 329 Posts

@arkephonic said:
@sargentd said:

@arkephonic: honestly man, sounds like you probably just don't care about video games in general as much as you used too.

I wouldn't sell mine because i play it often, my lady plays it alot too that's her main console, mine is PC

I think I still love video games, I just realized I'm super picky, I don't like very many games. I put 200 hours into Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age, 250 hours into Fallout 4 GotY, 300 hours into Diablo 3, Probably about 100 hours into Streets of Rage 4 all in the last year or so. I don't like playing a lot of different games. I don't like very many different games. I only like a few games, but I will play them a lot and never get tired of them. That's why I don't want Game Pass, just a bunch of dog shit on there. I'm so picky with games that Diablo 4 is the only next gen game I might buy.

Basically, this week I accepted the fact that I no longer like Nintendo stuff, and I really haven't liked any of it since after the N64 starting with the GameCube. I really didn't like or play my GameCube very much, or my Wii, or my Wii U or my Switch. I don't really like anything Nintendo has released since Super Mario 64, and my favorite of their stuff is on the SNES.

That's why they call us Sheep, we buy shit for no reason, even if we don't like it.

Hey man to each their own, ive liked all of the games ive gotten on the switch, mario odyssey, astral chain, ocropath traveler, bayonetta 2, BOTW, i think they offer quality stuff. But hey man i get it, if you don't play it at all might as well sell it. I just finished some mk8 with the gf. I like the switch alot, really like handheld mode. Its been one of the biggest surprises for me in gaming in a long time tbh. All indie/arcade games thats where i get them, over my PC or PS4. Not everyone who has a switch is a sheep

you are a sheep tho... you bought all those games and don't even like them lol so yeah you made the right call

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By arkephonic

@M8ingSeezun said:
@arkephonic said:

Yeah it's not about money. For the last year or so, I've developed a minimalist mentality where I only want to own things that I use. I don't wanna store a bunch of stuff that I don't use. I've sold a ton of stuff with this mentality and I love it. I don't expect the Switch to be any different. I would be much more likely to miss my huge and amazing retro game collection that I sold.

I was and still am on the same boat as you were, except I didn't sell any of my past consoles and have them to this day in storage. But, I took a minimalist approach after generation 6 (PS2/GC/XBOX era), and decided to stick to just one console into generation 7, with just a PS3, and focus all my gaming on a single system. And I could honestly tell you, as a single system owner (PS4 Pro), I couldn't be more happier.

Yes, I have missed out on a lot of exclusives from both Xbox and Nintendo platforms, but I realize the logic with my choice is: Almost every platform carries multiplatform games. Therefore, I'd rather just focus on the games that's already available on a single system and finishing them. I am mainly a 3rd party gamer, which is 95% of my PS4 library, with a few exclusives on the side. And the PS4 Pro has me covered on every fronts...indies, AAA games, multiplats, exclusives, you name it. I feel, in my opinion, that having every platform is just a waste of money, space, and time, especially if some of the exclusives don't even interest me at all. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

Being a multi system owner may work well for some, kudos to them, but I know well enough it's not for me.

I'm the same as you in that 95% of what I play is multiplatform. So I just had a realization a couple months ago that I had a PS4, an Xbox One and a Switch. I had about 15 or so games for each, 45 games or so in total, and I realized that with exception of just a few, every single game I owned was available on just the PlayStation or the Xbox by itself. Then I realized how stupid, maybe that's a little harsh, shortsighted of a decision I had made.

Like you said, for people who prefer to be multiplatform owners with multiple systems, more power to them and they should do what works for them. So I had these 3 systems with games spread out across the 3 when I could have just had 1 system and all the same games. Here I am juggling all these different ecosystems, highly competitive companies, different save files, different UI's, different online subscriptions, different controllers, shelf space taken, it's a lot of EXTRA considering I could have had everything on just 1 console.

I'll be a lot smarter in the future. I'm going to be more like you and stick to 1 console per generation, max. The PlayStation and Xbox libraries are so similar that I just can't justify owning both. Yeah, I'll miss out on some exclusives like you said, but I don't even care about that when I have so much to play that I don't have enough time for it.

After I sold my PlayStation and Switch with all their games, I rebought the same games for the Xbox One X console that I kept. I only ended up losing a few games.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 27372 Posts

Good idea if you disliked the games and wanted money, I guess.

But getting rid of old games and systems is generally a bad idea. They are really fun to have around, not only just for the memories. Plus, they will only go up in price.

Everything I've gotten rid of in the past, I really wish now that I hadn't. You got rid of 50 consoles and over 1000 games last year? That's terrible. If I ever did that I wouldn't be able to sleep for months. Would be like selling a part of yourself.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#73 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9471 Posts

From personal experience, I wish I didn't sell any of my old consoles. I always lost in the long run because I'd get a craving to play a certain game that I no longer had. I can't say if it was a good or bad idea for you because that's...well, up to you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 37758 Posts

Not very nice. Now the person you sold it to has that dreaded buyers remorse wishing he/she could have a do-over .

Not cool man, not cool at all. lol :P

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By arkephonic

@Litchie said:

But getting rid of old games and systems is generally a bad idea. They are really fun to have around, not only just for the memories. Plus, they will only go up in price.

Everything I've gotten rid of in the past, I really wish now that I hadn't. You got rid of 50 consoles and over 1000 games last year? That's terrible. If I ever did that I wouldn't be able to sleep for months. Would be like selling a part of yourself.

I actually have OCD and having things that I don't use, storing it, maintaining it, keeping track of it stresses me out. I'm like a super clean person and I can't stand having a bunch of clutter that is useless to me, that I don't use. I remember what prompted me to sell my huge retro collection of over 50 consoles and 1k games. One day I turned my PS2 on and it was having trouble reading discs. Then in my head, I was thinking, my crippling OCD is now going to make me test every single console I have to make sure it works. It was becoming way more stress and anxiety inducing than fun, and that's when I knew it had to go. Also, I never played the games in my collection, ever. They just sat in storage boxes so they didn't get dusty. My OCD also made it so I couldn't have any stickers on my game cases, no sharpie on cartridges, cartridge stickers needed to be perfect, no scratches on discs, no bent manuals, no scratches or dents on consoles or on handheld screens, everything had to be perfect.

I made about $80,000 from the collection and got rid of all my stress and anxiety. A win win.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ProtossRushX

@arkephonic: bro I have OCD people with OCD don't sell anything they keep everything they have in order.

You want to make sure you have everything you at all times you never sell or trade anything in or your OCD will have a fit if you can't find what you want.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By arkephonic

@ProtossRushX said:

@arkephonic: bro I have OCD people with OCD don't sell anything they keep everything they have in order.

You want to make sure you have everything you at all times you never sell or trade anything in or your OCD will have a fit if you can't find what you want.

Well then maybe I don't have OCD. I've never been diagnosed by a doctor or anything, I just self diagnosed myself. Because for me, I feel a hell of a lot better without all that stuff.

Actually, I'm not so sure now. I think I probably do have OCD because what you say makes sense. I did keep everything I had in order, like perfectly organized and alphabetized. But for me, it's like a relief getting rid of it because I no longer have to maintain it and preserve it. Honestly, that's why I want to be a minimalist because it's less stuff to get OCD about.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#78 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 27372 Posts

@arkephonic said:
@Litchie said:

I actually have OCD and having things that I don't use, storing it, maintaining it, keeping track of it stresses me out. I'm like a super clean person and I can't stand having a bunch of clutter that is useless to me, that I don't use. I remember what prompted me to sell my huge retro collection of over 50 consoles and 1k games. One day I turned my PS2 on and it was having trouble reading discs. Then in my head, I was thinking, my crippling OCD is now going to make me test every single console I have to make sure it works. It was becoming way more stress and anxiety inducing than fun, and that's when I knew it had to go. Also, I never played the games in my collection, ever. They just sat in storage boxes so they didn't get dusty. My OCD also made it so I couldn't have any stickers on my game cases, no sharpie on cartridges, cartridge stickers needed to be perfect, no scratches on discs, no bent manuals, no scratches or dents on consoles or on handheld screens, everything had to be perfect.

I made about $80,000 from the collection and got rid of all my stress and anxiety. A win win.

Understandable then. Super hard for me to not cringe fiercely when I hear about people selling their amazing videogame collections. I miss the old stuff I have gotten rid of a lot.

If I was a rich man, I'd have a freaking videogame museum at home.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#79 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6199 Posts

"I just sold my Switch and all my Switch games. Good idea or bad idea?"

What does it matter what any of us thinks?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4547 Posts

If you're not enjoying Nintendo games anymore, then yeah it was a good idea. Pandemic has kept prices high too, so now was a good time to sell.

I may not share your taste in videogames, but based on what you said, I think you made the right call.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 7919 Posts

@arkephonic: i hear you...ive been meaning to play through botw for the past 4.5 years now. The switch has so many great games, but ive been playing more of the Xbox Series X, and the ps5 and watching netflix that I don't have the time to fit in the switch.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 arkephonic

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

@arkephonic: i hear you...ive been meaning to play through botw for the past 4.5 years now. The switch has so many great games, but ive been playing more of the Xbox Series X, and the ps5 and watching netflix that I don't have the time to fit in the switch.

I picked up BotW when it came out and I just could never get into it. I will buy games when they are considered the greatest of all time, like a BotW. That's what I'm just starting to learn about myself. Just because a game gets perfect scores and everyone says it's the greatest game of all time doesn't mean I will like it or I should buy it.