I just sold my Switch and all my Switch games. Good idea or bad idea?

• 82 results
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic  Online
Member since 2006 • 7045 Posts

Earlier this year I sold my PS4 and all my PS games. Last year I sold a retro game collection full of over 1,000 games and 50 consoles. I was going to just keep my Xbox One X and Switch, but ended up selling the Switch too because I never use it. I sold some really good games for it, too. I know that the Switch is an amazing system and an amazing idea with some of the best games in gaming. I know that Nintendo has the best 1st party, but I just don't have any fun playing the games and that's the most important thing, right? Over the last 2 years, I've spent more time checking my Switch to see if I need to update it or charge it than I have actually playing games on it. It's become cumbersome and high maintenance for something I never use.

The games I sold with it are:

Diablo III Eternal Collection

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

River City Girls

Sega Genesis Classics

Sonic Mania Plus

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Streets of Rage 4

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Ultra Street Fighter II The Final Challengers

I don't even really like the Xbox that much either. The only thing I really like about it is that it has free cloud saves because I don't want to subscribe to any online services as I'm not an online player. I've always felt like the Xbox stuff is cheaply made. The only problems I've ever experienced with consoles and accessories have been on Xbox.

I have some really great saves on my Xbox cloud, and that's the only thing keeping me from selling my Xbox too. I think I might be best served to go PC only.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4431 Posts

Good idea or bad idea? I dunno. How much did you sell it for with all those games?

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 arkephonic  Online

I was trying to figure out why I don't like Nintendo 1st party as much anymore, and I figured out partially why. The older 2D Mario games had an aesthetic and soundtrack that really appealed to all ages and had such a perfect feel. I feel like New Super Mario Bros series along with the other newer Nintendo 1st party games have wayyy overly childish aesthetics and soundtracks. I've never been the type to dismiss a game just because it appeals to children, but as a Nintendo fan for over 30 years, I just kinda feel like they leave their longtime loyal fans behind in the dust when they do that. The music, presentation, aesthetic and graphical styles are just so Sesame Street.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 8860 Posts

@arkephonic said:

Earlier this year I sold my PS4 and all my PS games. Last year I sold a retro game collection full of over 1,000 games and 50 consoles. I was going to just keep my Xbox One X and Switch, but ended up selling the Switch too because I never use it. I sold some really good games for it, too. I know that the Switch is an amazing system and an amazing idea with some of the best games in gaming. I know that Nintendo has the best 1st party, but I just don't have any fun playing the games and that's the most important thing, right? Over the last 2 years, I've spent more time checking my Switch to see if I need to update it or charge it than I have actually playing games on it. It's become cumbersome and high maintenance for something I never use.

The games I sold with it are:

Diablo III Eternal Collection

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

River City Girls

Sega Genesis Classics

Sonic Mania Plus

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection

Streets of Rage 4

Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Super Mario Odyssey

Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Ultra Street Fighter II The Final Challengers

I don't even really like the Xbox that much either. The only thing I really like about it is that it has free cloud saves because I don't want to subscribe to any online services as I'm not an online player. I've always felt like the Xbox stuff is cheaply made. The only problems I've ever experienced with consoles and accessories have been on Xbox.

I have some really great saves on my Xbox cloud, and that's the only thing keeping me from selling my Xbox too. I think I might be best served to go PC only.

Why would you need to check to see if you need to charge your switch if you don't even play it when few I don't use it for awhile its still at like 95% energy?

Also you love your xbox because of some free cloud saves you don't even pay for the online or anything on xbox you just use some free cloud saves bouncing from different xbox's or what?

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By arkephonic  Online

@jaydan: $800

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arkephonic  Online

@ProtossRushX: The battery loses charge just from sitting in my closet without being used, just like all li-ion batteries. If left dead for too long, it kills the battery for good.

I only use 1 Xbox. I like the free cloud saves because I would still have my saves if my Xbox broke.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 10312 Posts

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 15269 Posts

Who could say but you? If you aren't enjoying it, get rid of it. Which you did. Easy peasy

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By arkephonic  Online

@xantufrog said:

Who could say but you? If you aren't enjoying it, get rid of it. Which you did. Easy peasy

I like being criticized for my decisions by people with different opinions.

It's frustrating because I know the Nintendo 1st party games are so so so so good, maybe the best in all of gaming. I just don't have any fun playing them, at all.

I do have an NES and SNES Classic Edition and still play those. I like the old NES and SNES 1st party Nintendo games, but everything after that, I just don't like nearly as much.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 7050 Posts

After the last Nintendo Direct, i bet you that there's plenty of people getting rid of their Switches. If i owned one, i would've have sold it in 2019 when Nintendo's "dry season" began.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 11492 Posts

Good idea. Nintendo will re-release everything on their new system anyway, maybe even enhanced.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 arkephonic  Online

@hardwenzen said:

After the last Nintendo Direct, i bet you that there's plenty of people getting rid of their Switches. If i owned one, i would've have sold it in 2019 when Nintendo's "dry season" began.

I didn't watch the Direct. Why was it bad?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hardwenzen

@girlusocrazy said:

Good idea. Nintendo will re-release everything on their new system anyway, maybe even enhanced.

Don't get your hopes up. They've discovered the laziness of emulators. What you get now is what you will get in 5 years from now.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@arkephonic said:
@hardwenzen said:

I didn't watch the Direct. Why was it bad?

Loading Video...

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ProtossRushX

@arkephonic said:

@ProtossRushX: The battery loses charge just from sitting in my closet without being used, just like all li-ion batteries. If left dead for too long, it kills the battery for good.

I only use 1 Xbox. I like the free cloud saves because I would still have my saves if my Xbox broke.

bro i have a switch lite i left it out for months still had 95% charge it doesn't drain as fast as ur saying it does. that was on power save sleep mode so it was still technically on even.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 arkephonic  Online

There's other reasons why I'm jumping ship from Nintendo, too. They are just so archaic in their online infrastructure, online accounts, the way they handle digital marketplace purchases, the hoops they make you jump through just to transfer save data or digital library to other Switch systems. Everything about their digital marketplace and online infrastructure just seems archaic and completely unfriendly to the consumer, and I really hate that.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 arkephonic  Online

@ProtossRushX said:
@arkephonic said:

bro i have a switch lite i left it out for months still had 95% charge it doesn't drain as fast as ur saying it does. that was on power save sleep mode so it was still technically on even.

Maybe mine was defective then, because mine would easily lose 50% charge in 1 week if left on sleep mode.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 29971 Posts

From my experience, usually not a good idea until the end of the system's life unless you just absolutely hate it. But if you got it to begin with, that same reason might come back at ya another day and coax you to buy it again lol.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ProtossRushX

@arkephonic said:

Bro so you are in love with a feature you don't even use? Just peace of mind if your whole xbox breaks you could replay some save games? Why? I've only 3 consoles break before out of all of them since atari 2600 and they've all been only xbox's you shouldn't worry about that type of stuff.

My console might break and I might have to replay some games isn't any issue to me at all ive lost ton of memory cards an stuff i just replay the game if i need to sometimes its hards to go back to games anyway better to start from the begining you forget where your at in them.

Free cloud saves is pointless feature.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 arkephonic  Online

@SolidGame_basic said:

From my experience, usually not a good idea until the end of the system's life unless you just absolutely hate it. But if you got it to begin with, that same reason might come back at ya another day and coax you to buy it again lol.

I actually realized that for the last 10 years, I've just been buying Nintendo stuff because I loved it as a kid and I know the games are great because of their commercial and critical acclaim and success. I've always just considered Nintendo 1st party like a must own if you play video games. Truth is, I don't have fun playing them and I'd rather watch paint dry than play a Zelda game post OoT/MM. I used to be a collector, so it's probably that collector's mentality.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By arkephonic  Online

@ProtossRushX said:
@arkephonic said:

Bro so you are in love with a feature you don't even use? Just peace of mind if your whole xbox breaks you could replay some save games? Why? I've only 3 consoles break before out of all of them since atari 2600 and they've all been only xbox's you shouldn't worry about that type of stuff.

It's because I know Xbox consoles are made like shit, cheap, so I expect them to break. Like you said, all your consoles that broke were Xbox. Plus, I have some amazing Final Fantasy and Diablo 3 saves with hundreds of hours that I don't wanna lose.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14778 Posts

I used to sell my systems in the past and always regretted it. But that was when I was younger and had no money. I'd always say if you don't need the money then keep your systems and games. You never know when you're gonna get the urge to play some Mario Kart lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@arkephonic said:

There's other reasons why I'm jumping ship from Nintendo, too. They are just so archaic in their online infrastructure, online accounts, the way they handle digital marketplace purchases, the hoops they make you jump through just to transfer save data or digital library to other Switch systems. Everything about their digital marketplace and online infrastructure just seems archaic and completely unfriendly to the consumer, and I really hate that.

It does not seem nor feel archaic. It IS archaic. Their infrastructure is still in mid 2000's.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 arkephonic  Online

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

I used to sell my systems in the past and always regretted it. But that was when I was younger and had no money. I'd always say if you don't need the money then keep your systems and games. You never know when you're gonna get the urge to play some Mario Kart lol.

Yeah it's not about money. For the last year or so, I've developed a minimalist mentality where I only want to own things that I use. I don't wanna store a bunch of stuff that I don't use. I've sold a ton of stuff with this mentality and I love it. I don't expect the Switch to be any different. I would be much more likely to miss my huge and amazing retro game collection that I sold.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14778 Posts

@arkephonic said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Yeah it's not about money. For the last year or so, I've developed a minimalist mentality where I only want to own things that I use. I don't wanna store a bunch of stuff that I don't use. I've sold a ton of stuff with this mentality and I love it. I don't expect the Switch to be any different. I would be much more likely to miss my huge and amazing retro game collection that I sold.

Ah, well you do you man. For me life's too short to be a minimalist lol.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 arkephonic  Online

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@arkephonic said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Ah, well you do you man. For me life's too short to be a minimalist lol.

Having stuff and storing stuff that I don't use actually gives me anxiety, lol. Maybe I'm just weird.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 arkephonic  Online

I've always preferred PlayStation over Xbox. The only reason I chose to keep my Xbox over my PlayStation was because I had a launch PS4 and a new Xbox One X. I wanted to keep the one that looks better on my 4K TV. At this point, I'm not even sure I will get a Series X or a PS5 because there is nothing coming out that I am interested in, and I'm not sure if the upgrade is worth it just to get better load times on my games I already own. Plus, one of my favorite games is Diablo 3 which runs best on Xbox One X. In fact, Diablo 3 currently runs worse on Xbox Series X than it does on Xbox One X, look it up.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GirlUSoCrazy

@hardwenzen: On GBC they added modes to Super Mario Bros. On DS they added stuff to Mario 64, on 3DS they had new textures and some quality of life improvements for the N64 Zelda games, on Wii U they enhanced the lighting and other stuff in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. On Switch they included the DLC with MK8 and added other things, in Mario 3D World they added a smaller Mario game with new worlds and goals.

But yes often they are lazy as well and do the bare minimum. The Online retro games is really bad.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 2924 Posts

@arkephonic said:

I was trying to figure out why I don't like Nintendo 1st party as much anymore, and I figured out partially why. The older 2D Mario games had an aesthetic and soundtrack that really appealed to all ages and had such a perfect feel. I feel like New Super Mario Bros series along with the other newer Nintendo 1st party games have wayyy overly childish aesthetics and soundtracks. I've never been the type to dismiss a game just because it appeals to children, but as a Nintendo fan for over 30 years, I just kinda feel like they leave their longtime loyal fans behind in the dust when they do that. The music, presentation, aesthetic and graphical styles are just so Sesame Street.

I am not sure how old people here are, but in the early 90s, Nintendo had a reputation for being a "kids" console while other consoles typically filled the role of a more grown-up system. Sega Genesis had that reputation initially, but the PS1 stole it away as it had the cool stuff like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil and Metal Gear while the N64 got RE2, but that was it. Granted, Nintendo did get Conker which was the least kid friendly game I've ever played. But that reputation has always been with Nintendo. I even remember asking how the heck that made it onto the console.

I think Nintendo is okay with that reputation.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hardwenzen

@girlusocrazy said:

@hardwenzen: On GBC they added modes to Super Mario Bros. On DS they added stuff to Mario 64, on 3DS they had new textures and some quality of life improvements for the N64 Zelda games, on Wii U they enhanced the lighting and other stuff in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. On Switch they included the DLC with MK8 and added other things, in Mario 3D World they added a smaller Mario game with new worlds and goals.

But yes often they are lazy as well and do the bare minimum. The Online retro games is really bad.

Oh but they did used to put at least a bit of effort. Its now that this is completely vanishing. In the last two years, just look at the amount of ports (and now direct emulators) that get no improvements, but still being sold for the fat $50-60.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By arkephonic  Online

@eoten said:
@arkephonic said:

I am not sure how old people here are, but in the early 90s, Nintendo had a reputation for being a "kids" console while other consoles typically filled the role of a more grown-up system. Sega Genesis had that reputation initially, but the PS1 stole it away as it had the cool stuff like Tomb Raider and Resident Evil and Metal Gear while the N64 got RE2, but that was it. Granted, Nintendo did get Conker which was the least kid friendly game I've ever played. But that reputation has always been with Nintendo. I even remember asking how the heck that made it onto the console.

I think Nintendo is okay with that reputation.

I'm old enough to remember being on the playgrounds in elementary school arguing about how Genesis was better than SNES because the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat had blood and the SNES was like sweat spray. I remember all that and I'm aware of that childish stigma Nintendo has always had. But, compare Super Mario World to New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. They amplified the childish kiddy factor by like 100x. Mario used to be child friendly, but the new Mario games have taken the child friendliness to Sesame Street levels.

I think the aesthetic and music in the New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is just horrible.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5901 Posts

When did we have an Apple fanboy appear?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@arkephonic: In reverse with Odyssey they took away a lot of the abstract art direction and went for realism in many areas. I'm not a fan of that, it lacks personality.

In NSMB sometimes it can come close to the SMW aesthetic, except things can look like they're made of plastic, and toy-like. Sometimes things can look a bit too chibi. The "wah wah" soundtrack can add a gameplay element when it comes to timing, but it is too saccharine and becomes grating.

In SM3/W sometimes things would be foreboding, like the sunken pirate ship, certain castles and haunted houses, mysterious woods... It seems like they eschew that direction in NSMB.

I wonder what it would be like if they tried a cell shaded look and tried to aim for what the SMB3/SMW instruction books looked like. I think I'd be into that.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 193 Posts

Go PC only, you will get most of your retro and console emulator, don't need to worry about backward and forward compatibilty, free online, and play the best version of games

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GirlUSoCrazy

@hardwenzen: Oh but they did used to put at least a bit of effort. Its now that this is completely vanishing. In the last two years, just look at the amount of ports (and now direct emulators) that get no improvements, but still being sold for the fat $50-60.

That stuff I don't buy, and it feels great to say "No." They can't sell me my nostalgia, I kept that stuff! 😝 There's an argument for people who don't have access to old games and consoles, but considering the value offered in Virtual Console games and pricing, things like the Mario 3D Collection on Switch do seem way overpriced in comparison! I mean compare this HD remakes if third party games with all DLC that regularly go for $5-$10 on sale! GTFOoH Nintendo!

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 16070 Posts

I really don't understand the point of this thread, literally no one can answer that question for you. Are you looking for comfort in your decision or do you want us to tell you that you've made the wrong one? In either case we're not answering your question.

You don't seem to have much regret in your decision, you already said that this wasn't about needing money. So if you feel easy about what you did then your question is probably already answered.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 58024 Posts

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 20476 Posts
@arkephonic said:

but I just don't have any fun playing the games and that's the most important thing, right?

Yup, there ya go. Pretty much answers your own question.

@arkephonic said:

I think I might be best served to go PC only.

Not a bad thing, the largest game variety, your library always carries on, among all the other benefits.

Just don't think it has to be some rigid choice. Play the games you like, whatever they're on.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9353 Posts

PC sounds like it's more suitable for you. Use it for general PC stuff and it also doubles as a gaming machine when you want that.

Hold out on consoles until something comes along that suits you at the time.

That's what it was like for me. Got rid of my Xbox One, just so happens the Series S suits me now.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By arkephonic  Online

@HalcyonScarlet: Yeah, PC only might be the way to go because it can cover all the bases in one device. Owning a console kind of seems like owning a smartphone and then carrying around an average camera to take pictures with when you could just carry only your phone to do everything, including pictures, and better pictures. Only problem I have is that I have some incredible saves on my Xbox that I don't want to lose. If it wasn't for the saves, I'd be PC only already. I really do want to limit myself to only 1 console at a time though because I like to exercise self discipline and clean up the clutter.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 7085 Posts

How are you going to ask other people whether or not it's a good or bad idea for you to sell off a collection of games? The fact you question it to me looks as though you are looking for validation for something you wish you wouldn't have done... but that's just my take and I don't know you or your situation. You do you man, you do you.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 10724 Posts

Thats terrific congrats. I want to sell mine too but unfortunately there is some jrpg exclusive to it that just forces me to keep the thing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#43 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 47194 Posts

Great move OP.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hardwenzen

@Pedro said:

Great move OP.

When are you selling yours?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 38367 Posts

Most gamers have no sense of value for their games, like go to GameStop with a stack of games to put a $20 dent in the latest NBA2K game.

Doesn't seem like TC as much of anything anymore, or is like quitting the hobby hard. Why keep anything at this point. Seems like TC might be trying to break a bad habit. You don't like your Xbox but it's the last thing you kept? Perfect, just stick with Game Pass Ultimate, commit to buying nothing.

See no point of asking what you got for it. I feel maybe the money-saving is stopping an excessive collection.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 14

#46 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 38095 Posts

If you don't like it, then what's the point of having it?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#47 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 47194 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@Pedro said:

Great move OP.

I did but then I bought another one and gave it away. Then the school bought one for me. 😑

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#48 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 302 Posts

Here is the biggest advice I can give. As a Nintendo Switch Lite gamer. Its the only system I have now other than A computer I only buy the games I want to play. I may demo games that look interesting and I read plenty of reviews and go on forums to gage peoples opinions on things. But in all truth the only thing that matters is you. Its your world so do what you want when it comes to gaming or the lack there of. Thank you and have a great day.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@Pedro said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Pedro said:

Great move OP.

I did but then I bought another one and gave it away. Then the school bought one for me. 😑

Its like a parasite that doesn't want to go away. Incredible.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 306 Posts

@arkephonic: honestly man, sounds like you probably just don't care about video games in general as much as you used too.

I wouldn't sell mine because i play it often, my lady plays it alot too that's her main console, mine is PC