I have a full size theater in my room.

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Yep, and it just feels like one, People can even join my theater or I can just watch movies on mars, by a campfire, all on a 100 foot screen. Last week I wanted to try something new on my headset, a sit down experience, but most of the vr titles don't really appael to me for sitting down but this was just great.

I can watch movies and people can just join my room and watch the same movie, they can sit next to me, look at me, talk to me, make gesture, the works. I can also hear them talk just like they would sit next to me, or if they sit further, as someone that sits further away (thank you oculus for that built in 3d surround)

But even better, I can play games with it too, any game, the bigscreen is just like my desktop. It also supports 3d movies/games (never saw avatar in 3d, now that was something else)

and last but not least, it supports my xboxone, allthough it is through a stream function, an app for oculus, yay

This is not on the playstation though (but I think they are planning a release next year). It does support mobile if I'm not mistaken. I've seen a lot of people joining with an oculus go.

I also have to mention that using bigscreen is less tiring for the eyes than other vr content, allthough that is only the case with 2d content, 3d movies are just as tiring for the eyes, or even more so than vr in my experience.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I've use PS VR for normal games and it already feels like a theater, but this looks really cool!

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Gotta show it off to someone.

Looks nice.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 commander

@freedomfreak said:

Gotta show it off to someone.

Looks nice.

It really rocks, it does produce the feeling of being in real cinema, it even has dynamic lightning, meaning the room will go darker with darker scenes, the light of subtitles shining on the floor beneath the screen, the light from the emergency exit signs and so on.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: And without the smell, noisy people, phone users.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 commander

@freedomfreak said:

@commander: And without the smell, noisy people, phone users.

noisy people you still have but you can kick em, mute em,or just make the room private. You can also use it offline.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: Oh shit. Man, I thought you made a home cinema yourself. Didn't click the links, but I thought it was videos you posted, doing a tour of the place you built.

It's just a VR thing. Goddamn, man. You almost had something good here.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By commander

@freedomfreak said:

@commander: Oh shit. Man, I thought you made a home cinema yourself. Didn't click the links, but I thought it was videos you posted, doing a tour of the place you built.

It's just a VR thing. Goddamn, man. You almost had something good here.

trust me it is just as good, or even better than the real thing. You can watch movies on the moon, or play games on the moon

this is not from bigscreen beta, but I'm sure you get the picture.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: I'm not gonna put a headset on my face to watch a movie. The Moon is not a good offer.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By commander

@freedomfreak said:

@commander: I'm not gonna put a headset on my face to watch a movie. The Moon is not a good offer.

I don't really think the moon is supported, not on bigscreen beta anyway, that picture is from another app. I haven't tried all the environments yet, you can watch it on mars though, or the clouds, or space. Also home theaters, living rooms , a campfire.

but the big theater is defenitely the best one, and it's way better than your tv.

But of course , I don't watch it late night, but I suppose you wouldn't do that if you have a real theater as well.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#11 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I have a full size, real feel, Salma Hayek doll in my room.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: How do you know it's better than my TV? The fact that I have to put on a headset to watch a movie makes it already worse.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

lol

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By commander

@freedomfreak said:

@commander: How do you know it's better than my TV? The fact that I have to put on a headset to watch a movie makes it already worse.

Is your tv 100 foot big and does it have the ability to teleport people in your environment? or the ability to change setting of your environment by a click of a button?

Does it support flawless 3d?

Can you move the tv where ever you want and make it bigger/smaller by the click of a button.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: No, because I don't need that. And because I can watch movies just fine without a headset.

LimitlessHalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 LimitlessHalf
Member since 2018 • 19 Posts

Yet another reason inching me toward buying a VR headset. I don't think I have the PC power (A8 w/ MSI Pro-V, Using CPU'S GPU no card) for an Occulus but I might invest in another VR headset one day.

Watching movies at home like this, yup, just another reason to keep considering VR!

Thanks!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By commander

@freedomfreak said:

@commander: No, because I don't need that. And because I can watch movies just fine without a headset.

People didn't need cooked food either, that doesn't change the fact that it can add taste to your meals.

You just don't know how good it is, just like people didn't realize how good cooked food was before they tried it.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By commander

@cainetao11 said:

You could play your xboxone x games on that vr theatre screen though.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By commander

@limitlesshalf said:

Yet another reason inching me toward buying a VR headset. I don't think I have the PC power (A8 w/ MSI Pro-V, Using CPU'S GPU no card) for an Occulus but I might invest in another VR headset one day.

Watching movies at home like this, yup, just another reason to keep considering VR!

Thanks!

you could buy the oculus go, it's standalone, but only supports mobile games. It does supports this as well though.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cainetao11

@commander: Gonna argue on cooking food being a necessity at the time it was tried. Cooking it isn't just for taste, it kills bacteria and cleanses meats for consumption. Humans weren't living life spans like ours even when food was cooked hundreds of years ago. Without cooking we'd be dying in our 30s.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By commander

@cainetao11 said:

@commander: Gonna argue on cooking food being a necessity at the time it was tried. Cooking it isn't just for taste, it kills bacteria and cleanses meats for consumption. Humans weren't living life spans like ours even when food was cooked hundreds of years ago. Without cooking we'd be dying in our 30s.

Humans were not as weak as they are now, you don't see animals eating cooked food. I doubt people started eating cooked food out of necessity.

Heck there are animals that live off rotten food.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cainetao11

@commander: Why weren't there life spans 80years or more than?

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq3.html

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commander

@cainetao11 said:

@commander: Why weren't there life spans 80years or more than?

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq3.html

Yeah like people realized they would live longer because of that, or considered it a necessity for that matter. It started out as a coincidence, and some food tasted better because of it.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cainetao11

@commander: Sure. I'll believe historical data over your opinion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 commander

@cainetao11 said:

@commander: Sure. I'll believe historical data over your opinion.

nice strawman tactics there, it doesn't have anything to do with my example.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: Cooked food was necessary because of disease. We've been doing that for ages. Strapping a headset to your face to sit in a virtual cinema, watching a movie is redundant.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#27 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@commander: That is great and all, but completely useless due to the shit resolution of VR headsets.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Not sure I want but cool tech.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By commander

@freedomfreak said:

@commander: Cooked food was necessary because of disease. We've been doing that for ages. Strapping a headset to your face to sit in a virtual cinema, watching a movie is redundant.

well, according to @cainetao11 references they don't know that

'Whether or not it came as a gastronomic revelation can only be guessed at'

But any one with half a brain doesn't have to guess that, when they discovered fire they will have discovered that heated food does change the taste quite quickly. I doubt the prehistoric man that discovered fire had any conception of bacteria and the result it could have on a longer lifespan.

I also doubt they had immune systems as weak as present man and lived 50 years longer just by cooking their food. Turtles live longer than people and they never eat cooked food.

They might not have eaten rotten meat, but one can live off vegetables, fruits and the occasional meat just as well.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

"Wow, this guy must be loaded! Lemme click this thread and..."

*VR*

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: You're comparing the evolution of gastronomy through millenia with a VR headset that makes you sit in another environment just to watch a movie. Are you at it?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander

@freedomfreak said:

@commander: You're comparing the evolution of gastronomy through millenia with a VR headset that makes you sit in another environment just to watch a movie. Are you at it?

It's a perfect example, people that don't know the taste of cooked food cannot argue that they don't need it, taste wise of course otherwise @cainetao11 is going to be at it again.

It's the same with this vr app, you cannot argue that you won't need or like it, since you never tried it.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By commander

@BassMan said:

@commander: That is great and all, but completely useless due to the shit resolution of VR headsets.

It's quite similar to a real theater screen though, I don't know why exactly but I think I has something to with the screen door effect being less when you look a things further away.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak  Online

@commander: Nah. I tried VR. It's good for goofing around. Like Kinect was. It's not for me. Certainly not for watching movies.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cainetao11

@commander: LOL you don't even know how to use that term.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cainetao11

@freedomfreak: A search and reading can easily point to humans making carrion preserve longer just by cooking it as well as staving off the struggle to break down and digest raw meats. I'm not going to link every of them for this guy.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

Hmmm, I think i'll stick with my actual cinema room in my house.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#38  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

@commander said:
@BassMan said:

It's quite similar to a real theater screen though, I don't know why exactly but I think I has something to with the screen door effect being less when you look a things further away.

It doesn't even compare to watching a 4K HDR movie on my OLED with Atmos. The quality just isn't there and it is not a viable option at this point. BTW, I rarely go to the theater these days because aside from the audio, I have a better experience at home.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts
@BassMan said:
@commander said:
@BassMan said:

It doesn't even compare to watching a 4K HDR movie on my OLED with Atmos. The quality just isn't there and it is not a viable option at this point. BTW, I rarely go to the theater these days because aside from the audio, I have a better experience at home.

Yup. I only go to theaters now if I get free tickets. I love my setup at home. It freaking bangs.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

The shitty resolution ruins it though.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

As much as people are like: "Hah, it's just a VR thing", that literally doesn't matter if it's good enough. Your brain cannot tell the difference between something virtually real and something that is actually real from the perspective of your eyes. Today it's somewhat low resolution so the main benefit is the social aspect, but going forward...

It's fairly easy to extrapolate where VR will be in about 10 years, somewhere around 11K or 12K per eye on each axis. Even with a 200 degree FoV headset, that is enough to simulate an IMAX theater that exceeds the quality of a real theater.

Not only would the resolution be higher, but you could watch it with friends across the world, play games on it, or sit anywhere you want, mute everyone if needed.

A real IMAX theater in 10 years will never be as good as a virtual theater from a technical standpoint.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

"Wow, this guy must be loaded! Lemme click this thread and..."

*VR*

That's kind of the point. VR can replace thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and it would be barely any different. Granted this mostly requires hardware improvements, but there's no reason why you couldn't replace 1080p and 1440p displays with a 2nd gen VR headset or 4K displays in 10 years + actual IMAX theater outings, or other stuff like pinball, concert outings, tourist attractions, etc.

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-DLP-Projector-HT2050-All-Glass/dp/B077TG22H3/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527711102&sr=1-3&keywords=benq+projector

This $750 1080p projector could be fully replicated in all it's detail in a 2nd gen VR headset where it can expand to any size or curve in any way and have built in 3D.

You could eventually have your own personal 4K IMAX theater at any time any where with a standalone headset that anyone can share in with you no matter where they are. That's another advantage: fully portable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

@commander: They already have this on PSVR, dude. Been on it for a while. It's called "Theater Room VR". All kinds of different environments and functionality. Right now it is in beta, but it's free and works great. Going forward they'll be adding more features based on user feedback and such. Neat app.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Littlstar App and Youku VR app on PSVR offer a similar experience for free. Youku VR has theater seats and even lets you steam 3D movies from their digital library for free. Littlstar lets you load up 3D movies on a flash drive and watch them on a theater screen complete with virtual seats and cup holders. Hulu app lets you watch TV in a virtual living room that you can change, I don’t use it much ‘cos I’m not a fan of Hulu.

The only difference between these apps and Bigscreen is that I can’t invite people but I’m not a fan of inviting people when I’m watching movies anyway because all they do is talk and distract me from my movie.

By by the way, Bigscreen is coming to PSVR soon. It should be arriving sometime this year according to the article.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 GameboyTroy  Online
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Good for you TC.

@cainetao11 said:

She looks very good.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By commander

@cainetao11 said:

@freedomfreak: A search and reading can easily point to humans making carrion preserve longer just by cooking it as well as staving off the struggle to break down and digest raw meats. I'm not going to link every of them for this guy.

Wether cooked food made people live longer or not had nothing to do with my example, we were talking about him needing a vr app like big screen in comparison to his real tv.

So when I was talking about people that didn't need cooked food, I was obviously not talking about food safety but the difference in taste, I even mentioned it explicitly .

Still, I'm quite sure people didn't start eating cooked food for food safety but just because it tasted better, the discovery of fire probably even happened when we weren't fully evolved yet.

The historical data you refer too isn't conclusive about the immune systems of prehistoric man (nor is it about the reason why people starting eating cooked food) They don't even know for sure when man exactly discovered fire, it could have been during the time of homo habilis and they know very little about the immune systems about humans in that stage of evolution.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cainetao11

@GameboyTroy: She should be cloned so everyone can sleep with her.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cainetao11

@commander: This isn't important enough for me to read that. Food or sustenance, no matter raw or cooked is a necessity to live. TVs or VR are not. The comparison sucked Imo.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

VR bwahahahaha, oh god thanks for the laugh.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

the ass resolution of current VR headsets will never beat the real thing.